Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Fan Clubs & Groups
Reload this Page Parlez-Vous Français ? [The French Club]

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Fan Clubs & Groups Fan Clubs & Groups are places to go to find like-minded members and talk about similar interests. Join or create a club here if it doesn't fit in any of the other sections.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old April 23rd, 2013 (02:41 AM).
RNG Sommelier
Crystal Tier

Nature: Brave
Nom: Gonz0
Pays: Pologne
Intéressement: dispute
no grey coupons on hand, lol

Oh, my God! this is the best club ever, haha!

I took three years of French in Junior High and I forgot a lot of it. I hope to take it again next semester to refresh my skills. My parents worked in Paris (my sister is living there) and I've spent many vacations there. when I was visiting my sis month ago, there was nothing left to visit or surprize me :/

I listen to French music and have a wide collection of French Pokemon games (and that makes Sydian jealous). that's pretty much all about me and French for now, looking forward to some cool discussions

クリムガン
It races through narrow caves, using its sharp claws to catch prey. The skin on its face is harder than a rock.

PokéCommunity Supporter Collab

Pair | Family
Old April 23rd, 2013 (07:16 AM).
happy

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by Yusshin:
Subjonctif is a bit of an oddball, since in English we skip out on "that" a lot i.e. "The kid I like" is supposed to be "The kid that I like." Regardless it being there or not, it doesn't change how the verb looks either.

Subjonctif is generally used after "que" and is popular with the verb "faut," "avant" and "apres."

I find it to be a "feeling" conjugation, but you need to be comfortable with the language audibly and verbally in order to "feel" it right. If it sounds nice, go with it lol Otherwise, like with "Esperer," use the normal forms. It's a lot of practice.
I just wanted to add:

A nice rule about the subjonctif is this: You use it after expressing feelings, personal statements (opinions) and wishes.

Some verbs, that always require the use of the subjonctif are these:

trouver que
accepter que
admirer que
aimer que
désirer que
détester que
critiquer que
préférer que
vouloir que
ne pas croire que
etc. etc.

I always thought that the subjonctif wasn't so hard once I knew that you use it when talking about feelings, opinions and wishes.

Old April 23rd, 2013 (09:22 AM).
♪ Yggdrasil ♪

Quote originally posted by Gonz0:
Nom: Gonz0
Pays: Pologne
Intéressement: dispute
no grey coupons on hand, lol

Oh, my God! this is the best club ever, haha!

I took three years of French in Junior High and I forgot a lot of it. I hope to take it again next semester to refresh my skills. My parents worked in Paris (my sister is living there) and I've spent many vacations there. when I was visiting my sis month ago, there was nothing left to visit or surprize me :/

I listen to French music and have a wide collection of French Pokemon games (and that makes Sydian jealous). that's pretty much all about me and French for now, looking forward to some cool discussions ;)
Welcome to the Club! Quite the variety of people here already; glad to have you as part of us.

Quote originally posted by Chatot Lover:
I just wanted to add:

A nice rule about the subjonctif is this: You use it after expressing feelings, personal statements (opinions) and wishes.

Some verbs, that always require the use of the subjonctif are these:

trouver que
accepter que
admirer que
aimer que
désirer que
détester que
critiquer que
préférer que
vouloir que
ne pas croire que
etc. etc.

I always thought that the subjonctif wasn't so hard once I knew that you use it when talking about feelings, opinions and wishes.
That's a pretty good list you have there, Chatot! I find Imparfait and Subjonctif are two of the most difficult tenses for anglophones to understand because they don't really exist in English. This should help a lot of people ★

Polaret | Fourette | Ecuret | Axew | Zorua | Nanette [Shiny]
"My scar makes me sassy, child!"
The Big Bang Theory Fan Club - Click To Join!
The French Club
Old April 23rd, 2013 (09:55 AM).
Will be back eventually
Crystal Tier

Nature: Calm
Now it does seem pretty easy considering the feeling/opinion/wish rule. I think I might just have ended up with a dégoût of the subjonctif during classes. I remember scoring really badly on the test... and it still gives me a bitter taste in the mouth when I hear "subjonctif".
It doesn't exist in Dutch either, the subjonctief that is. I do, however, think the imparfait exists.

"We shall build a peaceful world... Just you and me..."
Old April 23rd, 2013 (01:59 PM).
Sexy King

Name:rpryor03
Interest: (i.e. tutoring, becoming a tutor, discussion, collaboration) discussion, becoming a tutor
If "Tutoring" is an interest, what grade are you in?:
If "Becoming a Tutor" is an interest, what background / skills / experience do you have that would validate this request?: 3 years of Frence, relatively fluent, meilleur élève de la classe
Do you have any grey poupon? Y/N: Y

Join me and PokemonMasters on Pokemon Blue Flames, both here on PCX and PKMN District!
Old April 23rd, 2013 (05:34 PM). Edited April 23rd, 2013 by Yusshin.
♪ Yggdrasil ♪

Quote originally posted by rpryor03:
Name:rpryor03
Interest: (i.e. tutoring, becoming a tutor, discussion, collaboration) discussion, becoming a tutor
If "Tutoring" is an interest, what grade are you in?:
If "Becoming a Tutor" is an interest, what background / skills / experience do you have that would validate this request?: 3 years of Frence, relatively fluent, meilleur élève de la classe
Do you have any grey poupon? Y/N: Y
Welcome to the group, rpryor03!

Have a video as a welcome gift:

Word of the Day

★ Augmentation ★
- Noun (Feminine)
- English: Increase; Augmentation
- Related Words: Augmenter (verb) - "To increase" or "To augment"
- Antonyms: Reduire (verb - "To reduce"); Baisser (verb - "To lower"); Réduction (noun - "Reduction")
♡ Example: Cette année, la valeur des maisons dans le voisinage a eu une légère augmentation. (This year, the value of the houses in this neighbourhood increased slightly.)
♡ Example: Le prix de cette télévision a augmenté. (The price of this television increased.)

Polaret | Fourette | Ecuret | Axew | Zorua | Nanette [Shiny]
"My scar makes me sassy, child!"
The Big Bang Theory Fan Club - Click To Join!
The French Club
Old May 14th, 2013 (03:31 PM).
♥ Cammybear ♥
Crystal Tier
CS

Nature: Gentle
Hello! Yusshin's alt' here. I won't be logging on to Yusshin henceforth except to perhaps edit the Member's List.

Just a small video update. I posted it in the Ghibli thread a while back, but it's pertinent here, too:

Beautifully done!

Anyone have a most hated verb? Hard to use, hard to conjugate; anything, really.

Also, yay for Eiffel Tower and French stuff (Froakie for Frenchies lol) in X&Y!

FC: 4699-7283-5972; IGN: Irène, Etoile; Trade Shop; Trade Reviews
Old May 23rd, 2013 (08:24 AM).
Dragon at heart
Platinum Tier

Quote originally posted by Belldandy:
Anyone have a most hated verb? Hard to use, hard to conjugate; anything, really.

Also, yay for Eiffel Tower and French stuff (Froakie for Frenchies lol) in X&Y!
Anything irregular. You thought you knew it all... Suddenly I'm not a normal child and I must be conjugated differently. >___>

Do the best with whatever you can today.
Then tomorrow, you will have surely progressed.

The Legend of Legacy - Main Battle Theme
Old May 23rd, 2013 (07:42 PM). Edited May 23rd, 2013 by Belldandy.
♥ Cammybear ♥
Crystal Tier
CS

Teehee.

But I guess in English, it's too similar to tell. Really now.

I run
You run
She runs
We run
They run

Only third person you have to really watch out for. Past tense? Ran, ran, ran!

Then there's no feminine, masculin or neutral. No "e"s on stuff because of something being feminine either. English is much less complicated grammar-wise than French (and other languages, sure) is.

I remember in Grade Four we would have contests. Everytime you answered something correctly, you'd get a bonhomme sourire (happy face). You'd write your name on it and it'd go in the bucket. On Fridays, if your name was drawn, you got something nice: candy, eclairs, doughnuts; those kinds of things. I won once so I was happy but the more you knew, the better your odds... Except when you were Dylan Pitri and always getting chosen and thus winning weeks in a row as a result. Others knew as much as him, but for some reason the teacher played favourites. Grr.

Oh, well.

Ever seen this guy?

Best part:

Voice: "Do you want a Coke?"
Thinking: ... Euhhh... Si je veux de la Coke ? Euhh, mais la, ca doit etre une piege d'american ca... vas-y, reponds 'non'.
Guy: "Euh, no, I... I want euh... Coca Cola..."
Thinking: Et ouais, tu m'auras pas !

xD

Old June 2nd, 2013 (10:28 AM).
Dragon at heart
Platinum Tier

Oh goodness. Picking favorites. I hate that so much.

Anyways, yesterday, all 8 years of French I learned paid off. I had a guest come up to me at work, and she asked me if I spoke French. At that point, I assisted her. Entirely in French. I felt really good after that, being able to accommodate to someone's needs, especially to speak other languages.

Do the best with whatever you can today.
Then tomorrow, you will have surely progressed.

The Legend of Legacy - Main Battle Theme
Old June 2nd, 2013 (11:03 AM).
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Silver Tier

Nature: Timid
Must be really great TF! Sometimes I feel the same after talking to someone in English.
Old June 2nd, 2013 (12:35 PM).
♥ Cammybear ♥
Crystal Tier
CS

That's fantastic, Team Fail. I guess that's what we can call an curriculum success story?

I've already worked in Quebec and all, but before that I felt very good to be the only one around able to serve customers in French. I had a few people at Walmart who spoke French and I was happy to be able to serve them in their language of choice; they were quite happy, too!

It really is a wonderful feeling

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links