The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Chit Chat Café

Notices

Chit Chat Café Wondering what your fellow members are eating for breakfast? Want to chat about the weather or other silly things? Idle chit-chat and polls go here.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 23rd, 2013, 05:26 PM
Sammi
I ate my usertitle. :(

Nature: Lax
Let's talk about jobs.

Do you have one/have you had them before? What do/did you do? Did you like it? Anything else you want to talk about? We can chit-chat if you want. ;)

---

Personally I've been at the same pizza job for 3.5 years (4 in August!). I make pizza mostly, and serve/cashier when needed. I open, so I set up pizza line and am usually up front by myself until about 11:30-12. I'm now officially a shift supervisor, so now I actually have the power to do stuff I either already was doing or knew how to do. Means a bit more responsibility, though, and I am all about dodging responsibility when I can help it. :p

It's a pretty fun job. I love making food. My co-workers are mostly awesome. It's like a huge family there. I'm pretty sure that's the biggest reason I've stuck around so long (after not having a degree and other job skills...). The only huge downside is I still don't get paid very much, but nobody there does. Oh well.

Also I love getting free food every day I work. It's awesome. <3
Old April 23rd, 2013, 05:42 PM
AzaleaLightning
Bouncer, hey bouncer ♪

Nature: Sassy
I work at a bulk candy store in the local mall. I mostly do cashier work but I also do stock and inventory, cleaning, and opening/closing shift paperwork. It's a really small store so everyone has to do everything. My co-workers are pretty great but the new manager is... well, I'm sure you get where I'm going.

I also get free candy all the time :D

Tumblr | MyAnimeList
Ooh, let me in right now
or I'll get physical with you

Old April 23rd, 2013, 05:50 PM
Rickfields
Togepi

I'm a manager at a local BBQ restaurant here in North Carolina. I'm everyone's favorite, since I'm not trying to make a career out of it, so I take it easy on everyone. I'm close with the people there, two other managers and I have a beer together once a week usually. Good people, I'm lucky to know them.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 06:06 PM
Pikapal642
Certified Responsible Adult

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi-san View Post
Let's talk about jobs.

Do you have one/have you had them before? What do/did you do? Did you like it? Anything else you want to talk about? We can chit-chat if you want. ;)

---

Personally I've been at the same pizza job for 3.5 years (4 in August!). I make pizza mostly, and serve/cashier when needed. I open, so I set up pizza line and am usually up front by myself until about 11:30-12. I'm now officially a shift supervisor, so now I actually have the power to do stuff I either already was doing or knew how to do. Means a bit more responsibility, though, and I am all about dodging responsibility when I can help it. :p

It's a pretty fun job. I love making food. My co-workers are mostly awesome. It's like a huge family there. I'm pretty sure that's the biggest reason I've stuck around so long (after not having a degree and other job skills...). The only huge downside is I still don't get paid very much, but nobody there does. Oh well.

Also I love getting free food every day I work. It's awesome. <3
You...have the exact same job as me. Like, almost exactly the same. I work in a pizza restaurant, I mostly rolled dough for the past 6 months, and now I am officially a shift supervisor as well (although I am in training so there is a difference.) And I usually open most of the time haha! It's actually kinda funny, I feel most comfortable opening, even though everyone says it is harder than closing. Dunno why, just easier for my brain I guess.

And btw our crew is better than yours, just sayin'. (Only kinda kidding haha xD)
Old April 23rd, 2013, 06:24 PM
Sammi
I ate my usertitle. :(

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikapal642 View Post
You...have the exact same job as me. Like, almost exactly the same. I work in a pizza restaurant, I mostly rolled dough for the past 6 months, and now I am officially a shift supervisor as well (although I am in training so there is a difference.) And I usually open most of the time haha! It's actually kinda funny, I feel most comfortable opening, even though everyone says it is harder than closing. Dunno why, just easier for my brain I guess.

And btw our crew is better than yours, just sayin'. (Only kinda kidding haha xD)
Let's be pizza bros 8D

At my job, opening is way easier. I don't like closing at all. When I close I feel rushed to get everything done on time, and there's a million things to do to close in addition to trying to sell food. There's a bit of that with opening, but at least I can eventually catch up. Also, I like having to get up early but get out of the mall by 5pm tops.

So when you say roll dough, do you just stretch it out and other people top it, or do you make the rest of the pizza too? At my job I do all the steps in the recipe, but we're a by-the-slice place, and we're slow enough we never need more than 2 people making food at once and when we do we're making two different items at once. The only time we do an assembly line is when we have a huge catering order.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 08:35 PM
gimmepie
The Seeker of Pies

Nature: Mild
Have I had a job before/do I have one now?

Technically the answer is no on both counts I suppose. I have only had paid work on a few occasions but never a steady job as such. I have also done a lot of voluntary work etc...

Examples of what I have done?
I have done tutoring, looking after a kid (sort of), I have manned cake stalls and sausage sizzles on numerous occasions to earn money for my fundraising account and I routinely teach/assist in the teaching of dance which sometimes results in me getting money taken off of my own lessons... hell I have even gotten paid before.

I have enjoyed each and every one of those experiences really... bar tutoring a girl with an attitude problem. Even then I enjoyed the work for the most part, she just got on my nerves sometimes. My focus has always been on my studies and interests than on long-term employment but once I complete my degree this will quite probably change.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 08:45 PM
Team Fail

Nature: Brave
Do you have one/have you had them before?

I had a job at a local restaurant and a local Costco. Both of which I was fired 3 months after starting. I now work at Target, opening next month (Oooh setting up a store woo)

What do/did you do? Did you like it?
  • Smitty's: Washed dishes, and it was awful. They don't schedule in breaks well, so if you're busy, you basically don't get one.
  • Costco: Packed groceries in the Front End and maintained the Self-Checkout. SCO was the best part of any day imo.
  • Target: I basically keep the store clean, making sure the store is presentable and stuff, and even though it's cleaning, it's so much fun to work there. I might see if I can transfer to the Electronics/Entertainment department though. It's my niche.

Team Fail

Community Supporter Collab
☆ ☆ ☆

Old April 23rd, 2013, 09:46 PM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling

Nature: Sassy
let's talk about my previous jobs, y'all!!!
  • McDonalds (accidentally broke the coffee machine, fired)
  • Another McDonalds (insulted boss)
  • Another McDonalds (didn't turn up to work after boss cut our pay yet again)
  • Starbucks (quit after six months due to family issues, good job though)
  • A local cafe (went out of business)
  • A clothing store (quit after my boss turned into it into a soviet workcamp)
  • A local cafe (quit after being offered position at current job)
  • Same clothing store (current job)

My current job I've had the longest, and it's really taught me that there are some truly stupid people out there! Not just stupid people, but incredibly rude people too! *******s! People who work in retail need congressional medals of honour, like really.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 09:54 PM
Yusshin
♪ Yggdrasil ♪

Nature: Brave
I worked at Subway for two years. It was an OK job. I'd say it's better than Tim Horton's or Macdonald's. You don't get breaks or anything, and you aren't promised discounts or anything (it depends on the owner), but the job itself isn't that hard and is enjoyable enough. You don't end up smelling awful at the end of the day, either. The week I spent at Tim Horton's and Burger King... /shudder

Walmart was great, but they're big on worker exploitation. I didn't think it was that bad until I started working at Maxi where I get raises, don't count the til, don't have to do stock or anything... It's way more lax, compared to Walmart where you were forced to sell MasterCards or be fired. Good thing I was good at that lol

Work History:

★ Burger King (2009) ★

Quit after I figured out I replaced the girl who got her finger cut off. Also, not a good job overall.

★ Sweet Dreams Ice Cream (May-July 2010) ★

Quit after my boss accused me of stealing, even though I had evidence to prove that the 40$ never actually existed ("test" orders gone wrong.)

★ Subway (August 2010-June 2012)★

Two different locations, same owner for 38h/week. Free sandwiches, drinks. It was a good entry-level job in order to get better jobs later (experience, etc.)

★ Walmart (May 2012-October 2012) ★

Overall, it was a decent job; better than Subway. People liked me. The boss liked me (because I sold lots of MCs) but the threat of being fired for any little reason was daunting. No raises. Breaks, though.

★ Tim Horton's (October 2012) ★

Quit because the staff was horrible - they encouraged theft and wouldn't sell me things; I had to steal them if I wanted them - and it was mega exploitation. Seriously. They didn't pay over-time but required you to stay until someone else showed up for their shift. No raises. I started lower than any other job I've ever done. Requires a lot of work for said pay. Breaks were not guaranteed. Clients are crappy. The assistant manager wasn't too bad, but the manager herself was... ugh. Plus, it was a huge downgrade from Walmart. I felt insulted lol

★ Maxi (October 2012-Present) ★

Best job. Ever. So far. 10% discount on groceries. It's across the street from my house. Unionized = hard to fire me. Vacation. Raises. Breaks. Great team. Yay!

Polaret | Fourette | Ecuret | Axew | Zorua | Nanette [Shiny]
"My scar makes me sassy, child!"
The Big Bang Theory Fan Club - Click To Join!
The French Club

Last edited by Yusshin; April 23rd, 2013 at 10:05 PM.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 09:58 PM
Hikamaru
→ étoile brillante

Nature: Quirky
I currently have a job, at a factory doing packaging 3 days a week since September last year. Not the best job in the world I have to admit since packaging is one of my weakest fields.

When I was in my final years of high school in 2009/2010 and even going through 2011, I have had several jobs. I've worked at a school library, a supermarket, a McDonald's restaurant, and in an office. I was mainly at all those jobs for training purposes though since I'm only new to the workforce.

pairs | showdown | tumblr | vm

Old April 23rd, 2013, 10:17 PM
Aeon
Now face the avalanche

Nature: Quiet
I have had three jobs thus far

First was a kiddie land ride op in 2010 for the amusement park here. It wasn't a bad job at all, in fact it was kind of fun. Had to leave in August though due to the need to return to school and transport then becoming a problem.

Then it was a big chain grocery store for 5 months from June-November 2012. I absolutely despised it, especially when they would not leave my schedule alone. I'd be doing early mornings one week and then overnights the next. I wasn't allowed to have a life... at all. Eventually I told them to screw off and quit with no notice in the middle of my shift at three in the morning.

Now I work in a regional chain and it's not so bad. My store manager got OCD one day and screwed with the department, but compared to what happened to my old job it's a freaking godsend. At least these people have respect towards me attending school and do their best to work around it.
Old April 24th, 2013, 01:14 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
When I first left school I worked in a small cafe in the kitchen just doing the dishes, but after I had Hanna my daughter I became a same at home mum, I will find a jod when she is in school though.
Old April 24th, 2013, 01:21 AM
Jamais
«c'est presque temps»

The first thing that I had that I considered a job was doing video game testing. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to turn it into a full-time job, but it didn't hurt to get paid to play video games (and pick some free ones up along the way).

Currently, I'm working at a large drug store, where I've been for almost a year now. I mostly deal with anything that isn't pharmacy related itself, and while the wages are decent and all my co-workers are nice, my hours have been drastically (35 hr/wk in December vs. 16 as of late). I'd rather not look for work elsewhere since it's a friendly environment, but I'm hoping my hours don't get cut even further when we hire more part-time help this summer.

Old April 24th, 2013, 04:33 AM
Kura
vimeo.com/67501143

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kura
Current Job
Animator at Sega

Past Jobs
Internship at Disney (Animation)

Summer job (full time hours) at an Animation Commercial Production House (Production Assistant)

Black's Photography (part time seasonal sales associate)
Old April 24th, 2013, 05:57 AM
Pikapal642
Certified Responsible Adult

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi-san View Post
Let's be pizza bros 8D

At my job, opening is way easier. I don't like closing at all. When I close I feel rushed to get everything done on time, and there's a million things to do to close in addition to trying to sell food. There's a bit of that with opening, but at least I can eventually catch up. Also, I like having to get up early but get out of the mall by 5pm tops.

So when you say roll dough, do you just stretch it out and other people top it, or do you make the rest of the pizza too? At my job I do all the steps in the recipe, but we're a by-the-slice place, and we're slow enough we never need more than 2 people making food at once and when we do we're making two different items at once. The only time we do an assembly line is when we have a huge catering order.
Well for us, I get there at around 8 in the morning and for three hours I make all the pizza skins, twist skins (for garlic/cinnamon twists) and pan crusts. I have to try and get enough for the day shift out buy opening at 11:00 am. Then I come out and depending on what the manager for the day decides to put me on, I either make the pizzas, work register, work oven, bus tables and wash dishes, or work on salad bar. Then after the lunch rush, around one to two o clock, I go back and finish rolling out enough skins to finish off the night shift. We aren't slow enough to have just a couple people working out front, but not busy enough to have a dedicated roller who stays back in the roll room rolling all day haha.

Although now that I am gonna be a shift supervisor, I will be doing less rolling and more bookwork, shift setup, and other managerial stuff lol.
Old April 24th, 2013, 07:54 AM
Sweets Witch
I just love ham jerky.

Nature: Adamant
I've been a housekeeper for a little over two years now and I love it, but spring and summer make my wallet suffer because that's when families decide to visit and it's extremely rude to clean while visitors are over. Hell, I should have been at work today but that exact situation popped up and it sucks because I could use some money.

In the past I've been...
>a busboy for a crappy southern restaurant that went belly-up this past December and I still give the empty building the bird because I hated it so much
>a grocery store cashier
>a housekeeper for a smaller retirement community that mainly catered to the soon-to-be dead
Old April 24th, 2013, 01:46 PM
Broken_Arrow
Paper plane~

Nature: Careful
Send a message via Skype™ to Broken_Arrow
If we don't count social service which gonna end this coming September i have a job named no job...planing to take some courses before really working.thats all

May Love embrace the world
Old April 24th, 2013, 07:10 PM
Insomniac
It's so overt it's covert.

I've never had a job but I'm going to be an intern this summer. I've also volunteered at a snack bar for a while. :\ Not so fun.

I hope office work is more fun (it will be at least for me).

I hope to be a lawyer one day
Old April 24th, 2013, 09:53 PM
curiousnathan
I will find you

I don't currently have a job, nor have I had one before actually. I've been more school-orientated to be honest. I'd like to get a part-time job sooner or later, but it's just managing my time that would prove to be quite difficult for me if I were to get a job right now.

moderator |
lovely pair | PC live
Old May 4th, 2013, 04:51 PM
Catholic Nun
Back in the habit.

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Catholic Nun
I worked in a liquor store part time from April 2009 until February this year. Then I got promoted to full-time assistant manager and was moved to another branch of my liquor store five minutes further from home!

Moving on up in the world, ladies and gents.

Moderator of Chit Chat Cafe
Old May 4th, 2013, 08:56 PM
Aquacorde
↪ i can do anything

Nature: Bold
Well jobs I got paid for... was a janitor at my after-school program place for like a year, quit after getting too lazy to do it. Worked in a small lunchtime café for six months before the place shut down. Now I've been working at IKEA for six months and it's really nice I guess. I'm mainly a cashier and I'm quite a bit more adept than a lot of the people hired within half a year of me. I also work in Smaland now- the childcare place- because they lost a bunch of people and I've been getting drained dealing with adults. My coworkers and managers are great. But a lot of customers are just... dumb. And then they get angry that they're making dumb mistakes or can't comprehend the way things work. The children are pretty bratty sometimes too but I can just ignore them. Working at IKEA... I don't mind it when I'm there and doing it. I just don't like it when I actually think about it.
Old May 4th, 2013, 10:31 PM
Passenger

Nature: Calm
My first and only job now is going for the second year. I'm working at company that deals with building railroad tracks. Basically a construction worker. I got used to this job so far, the salary is not bad, since the bonuses delegation gives me, company provides accomodation and food (dinner only), so I can live with that. The minus is that I work there on the weekends as well, so I'm very rarely in my hometown.
Old May 4th, 2013, 11:19 PM
sρεcтяα
Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ

Send a message via Skype™ to sρεcтяα
When I was in College I worked at a local Tesco, although that only lasted for about 9 months before I quit - my hours were destroying my health (5:30am to 2pm, standing on tills all morning) and I was lazy/immature, so it didn't really sit well with me.

I managed to land myself a job working in my University as an Administrator last month, which is quite nice. The contract is only for six months right now, although there is the possibility of it becoming permanent. I work in admissions, so I deal with student applications, which is more interesting than it sounds. The hours aren't too bad (8:30 - 5:15, 4:15 on Friday) and the environment is quite relaxed, so it's quite enjoyable, although it drags something awful when there isn't any work to do.

To be honest, I'm not sure about where I'll be going from here. I'd like a job as a Business Analyst, or to get into a graduate scheme with that in mind as the end goal, but I'll plan for that after my contract expires if it doesn't become permanent. If it does I'll take it and do a PGCE part time so I can pursue a career in teaching in the future. I like to keep my options open.
Old May 12th, 2013, 08:18 AM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Nature: Relaxed
I'm a corporate lawyer, and have been since August of last year. It's my first proper job and, to this day, I have no idea how I managed to get it. I'm on what's called a 'training contract': a two year employment contract with my firm in which I spend 3 or 6 month rotations around different departments. In my time so far, I've spent 3 months doing bribery investigations, 3 months doing competition law litigation and I'm coming to the end of my third month doing corporate mergers & acquisitions (basically companies buying and selling other companies) but will probably be doing that for another 3 months. At the end of my contract, there's the opportunity to work for 6 months in one of the firm's overseas offices (I have my heart set on Tokyo but I honestly wouldn't mind going anywhere that they'd put me, to be honest). I don't know if I want to be a lawyer forever and ever and ever, but I'm enjoying myself for the time being: the work is relatively interesting, the pay is very good and it's job security for the next couple of years. When I'm a bit older, I'll see how I find it and make decisions accordingly. But that's still a long way off. :D
Old May 12th, 2013, 10:39 AM
Patchisou Yutohru

I've had two proper jobs.

My first job I got October of senior year at high school, and that was at CVS as a clerk and cashier. I quit because the manger at the time didn't give me any hours and I didn't see the point of bringing home only four hours worth of minimum wage every other week.

The job I have now is to help me save money. I originally got it to pay off college courses I had to drop, because I had a balance due to my college for dropping courses past the deadline since I didn't have money for books. I got it last year and it's at a car part's warehouse. Right now I work as a loader, so I load trucks, but I've grown fond of part picking and am going to be switched to that when they find a replacement for me (they offered someone a job the other day, so if all goes well, I should be a picker by next week!). I am working there right now to earn and save money (since now that my college is paid off and I go to community college, financial aid pretty much covers all of my expenses) while I go to school.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links