The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Old April 23rd, 2013, 09:48 PM
Captain Falcon
Gotta go fast

Nature: Lax
When building a team, what do you factor in more? your favorites, or the abilities of the Pokemon?
Old April 23rd, 2013, 10:30 PM
AzaleaLightning
Bouncer, hey bouncer ♪

Nature: Sassy
I like a bit of both - I have a ton of favorites so when I'm making teams I tend to lean towards my favs that have a little backbone to them, like for instance I like Pachirisu a lot but I've never used it in DPPt for that reason.

Tumblr | MyAnimeList
Ooh, let me in right now
or I'll get physical with you

Old April 24th, 2013, 12:07 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori

Nature: Calm
Power, BSTs, beneficial stats as the primary factor.
And after that, they became my favorite Pokemon :D
It's simple as that :D
Old April 24th, 2013, 12:24 AM
Jamais
«c'est presque temps»

Nature: Quiet
I always prefer to use my favorite Pokemon moreso than just those that are powerful (some of them, like Aggron, happen to overlap between the two, though).

Old April 24th, 2013, 12:36 AM
Elaitenstile
Sea turtles, mate.

Nature: Naive
Favourites, no question. Only then does the game be fun, and not some fruitless robo-driving type exercise.

I'm Captain Jack Sparrow.

Savvy?
#johnnydeppjacksparrow
Previously known as ★Hoenn★

Old April 24th, 2013, 03:02 AM
Hikamaru
→ make a wish

Nature: Quirky
Usually it's the design of the Pokemon, movepool effectiveness, stats and abilities that factor into my team-building. I'm pretty strict because if I get the wrong ability, I release it and catch another one until I get the perfect team member.

I'm just like Paul in the anime lol

pairs | showdown | tumblr | vm

Old April 24th, 2013, 03:15 AM
Cat

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Cat
Favorites for sure, I never base it off power. The majority of my teams usually have a maximum BST of 480.

Old April 24th, 2013, 04:51 AM
LilJz
Legendary lovers♥

When I first start a game, I usually go with looks since I don't know anything about the stats yet
Old April 24th, 2013, 04:51 AM
Arma
Actually not mad at all

Nature: Jolly
A combination of both, my favorites are all quite powerful in my opinion. Though competitive players claim otherwiseXD

The ideal team member is either fast or has high defenses, has good offensive stats, and a good movepool.

I'm really fond of stat raising moves, for some reason. So I tend to pick pokemon that got access to them.
Old April 24th, 2013, 05:41 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
I usually go for my favorites when building my team. I do not really care about stats when building my team.
Old April 24th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Autumn Reverie
d a y d r e a m

Location: Above Singapore, below Thailand. Hm, you don't know where that is?
Nature: Modest
Power plus a dash of favourites. The stats and the abilities of each of my Pokemon are highly taken into account, and if the stats of the Pokemon I'm aiming for isn't what I have in mind, it immediately gets switched out with another of better stats (with careful consideration, of course). The movepools must be good enough and the stats must benefit the moves it can use. If a team were to be based entirely on favourites, it won't be exactly a winning team in my opinion. Most of my favourites are also quite powerful, so there's no worry in this. c:
Old April 24th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Playful_Weasel
I just want to play!

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Playful_Weasel
My main influence is favorite. I try to keep mostly my favorites when playing. I'll try and figure out a way to make them work (using movepools and abilities), even if I have to struggle most of the way. That challenge is what makes it fun for me.
Watchog's #1 Fan!!
PokeMustelid & PokeFelines too!
- FC on Trainer Card
Steel Safari: Magneton - Skarmory - Excadrill
Old April 24th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Ephemeral Euphoria
From Hell To The Stars

It's both for me, I try not to lean too heavily on either side though lest my team actually becomes so powerful that there's no real challenge or worse if I pick a random crop of favorites that don't live up to my expectations.
Old April 24th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Cassiopeiia
Floating

Nature: Bashful
Pretty much all evolved Pokémon can do well if used correctly, so I've never really felt that I need to prioritize only the very strongest ones.
Besides, it's an enjoyable challenge trying to get the most out of also the weaker Pokés!

So yeah, my teams are made up of Pokémon I like. I do however have a certain need to not have any two Pokémon be the same type...
Old April 24th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Magnetic
Underground Trainer

Nature: Mild
I definitely go off favorites. No point in going through the journey without the fun of your favs. I consider types when it comes to the E4, since you have to unless you're at like level 100 lol. But I still use my favorites of each type.
Old April 24th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Blade_of_darkness
I'll have your blood!

Nature: Rash
Send a message via Skype™ to Blade_of_darkness
There are two things that are the deciding factor of which teams that I have in a Pokémon game: their stats & their move-pools. I could care less what a Pokémon looks like, as long as both of those are satisfactory, I'll likely use it on my party.

Vae Victus!!
Little sis: Autumn Reverie (since she HAD to get her name changed...!)
Old April 24th, 2013, 04:10 PM
Rai
Misao <3

Nature: Impish
Send a message via AIM to Rai
I usually choose pokemon I like. I am not going to use a pokemon that I hate. A lot of my favorite pokemon end up in my teams, but not always.

I also go by types. I always need to have the main three types (Grass, Fire, Water) and an Electric type. I also need a pokemon that can use Fly. The rest of team usually varies, but I tend to have a Bug type, but it isn't essential like the other types.
Old April 24th, 2013, 05:15 PM
Navy Blue
Artist

For me it's a bit of both; on my PC I have party 1, party 2, etc.
Strongest party is first as weakest is last; but whoever is in Party 1 are all my favorites, weak or strong, so I guess I would prefer favorites.

Good day.
Old April 24th, 2013, 06:25 PM
Kouzan
When did the sky turn black?

Send a message via Skype™ to Kouzan
Quote:
"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites. I like your style. You understand what's important. Go on—the Champion is waiting."
- Karen of the Johto Elite Four.

This pretty much sums up me when it comes to picking teams. Usually I just pick my favorites and don't focus on stats. While stats a bit for me, they're not the key thing I look at when choosing Pokemon my team. Yeah, I try to have only Pokemon with decent stats , but most of the time I just pick Pokemon I really like.

Oh oh these are beautiful times.
Clubs: Dark Type Club | Adventure Time Club
EGC | BMGf | DeviantArt | Tumblr | Art Gallery | Ask Me Stuff | Paired to
Old April 24th, 2013, 06:36 PM
Seraphimon-sama

Personally, I don't focus on power-based Pokémon, I tend to use my favorites, for example, I would use a Gardevoir rather than an Alakazam.
I don't calculate stat values, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature.

Sprite made by DD's Sprite Shop~!

GENERATION 29: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Old April 27th, 2013, 12:34 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Both power and favorites have influenced me to build my in-game teams since Gen IV.

Old April 27th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Happy Smiley Yum Yum

Favourites. Karen of the Johto E4 said that the difference between strong and weak trainers was about using favourites. She's right.
Jurassic Jam ¦ Ice Age ¦ Stone Age ¦ Egyptian Era ¦ Medieval Era ¦ Renaissance Era ¦ The Pirate Golden Age ¦ Industrial Revolution ¦ Westward Expansion ¦ The Progressive Era ¦ Mobster Mania ¦ The Sci-Fi Like Future ¦ The Post-Apocalyptic Scenario ¦ Time Rift
Old April 27th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Arcturus.
Does this unit have a soul?

I always use Pokemon that I like, not just because they're extremely powerful. But that doesn't mean I don't have some favorite Pokemon that are very strong.
Old April 27th, 2013, 03:00 PM
⊗Slenderman⊗
Tyrunt

I go by stats and movepools. However, if I really hate the Pokemon, I'm not going to let it in my team. x;

Pokemon Y Pokedex entry
My Trade Review Thread
Just a Trade Sh⊗p
Paired to Amaura
Old April 28th, 2013, 12:14 PM
Gengar's Shadow

Nature: Calm
I'd never use a Pokemon that I don't like. The ones that I do like have pretty good stats overall.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links