The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Roleplay Corner

Notices

Roleplay Corner The realm where writers gather to create glorious tales or silly drama together and chronicle their adventures. Start or join roleplays featuring Pokémon, other franchises or something completely original!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 25th, 2013, 05:13 PM
Nakuzami
That Person's Name Is . . .
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmepie View Post
Well just figured I'd let you guys know that the RP that I have been working on is a Darker than Black RP. I can't give up too much information just yet because I have to confirm some things with my co-GM for the RP, but I figure it can't hurt to see what everyone thinks.
Aha . . . ahaha . . . AHAHAHAHAHA. Yeeeeah. Darker Than Black.
What're you going to call it? d:
I briefly discussed a Darker Than Black roleplay with MichaelaTheUchiha, but she hasn't had access to PC in a while. . . .

Now I've lost it
I know I can kill
The truth exists
BEYOND THE GATES.

Good luck with that. I'm not exactly sure what you would do for story? There's always some sort of Contractor feud, but what about the gates? They're both gone. (Unless something happened during season 2, which I did not watch. Heard it was horrible, lol.)

And, as for the other topic: I personally don't see the point in choosing either DC or Marvel. Choose 'em both. They were made by the same people, after all. DC is a bit older, but that's about it. It's perfectly possible to find things to like in each universe.
Old April 25th, 2013, 05:18 PM
Geras32
Slightly less of a noob

Nature: Serious
My two cents:
-I much prefer original worlds, but only if they are well written and fleshed out, and especially interesting. They give the creator much more freedom with their options, too.
-I love both Marvel and DC, but I prefer DC. Batman has some very well written stories, but does Sandman (Niel Gaiman) count as DC too? Also I am overall more familiar with the universe than with Marvel.
-A Persona RP would be very hard to do, but if someone can pull it off I would shed tears of joy at its existence then join immediately.
-I remember I started watching Darker than Black a while back and I enjoyed the first couple of episodes, but then life punched me in the face and I stopped watching it. I should probably pick it up again.

Last edited by Geras32; April 25th, 2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old April 25th, 2013, 06:14 PM
Aquali Umiko
Roaring back with a vengeance!

Nature: Sassy
-sticks head back in-

Oh, and just to let everyone know this is ohHeyVaporeon.

I wanted to go a different route, and without their being name changes anymore, I decided the best route I could take would be to make a new account.
Old April 26th, 2013, 01:30 AM
Synthet

Nature: Careful
I really don't have the time to dedicate to creating and GMing a roleplay right now... so I'm trying very hard to resist my own temptations. But I'd like feedback on an idea regardless.

I was thinking of a RP set vaguely in the Marvel Universe where people play a new class of X-Men. The setting is great for a RP - the mansion, the grounds, the danger room, already have a freaking jet to get to places. The structure is waiting to be used. Although the RP would be in the Marvel Universe, existing Marvel characters will be used sparingly. More like cameo's than active participants - after all, the heavy hitters are too busy to come say hi to the five thousandth class of X-Kiddies.

Villains would be unique and new creations - I have an entire Rogues Gallery in my back pocket ready to go. We would be building our own mythology and recurring villains. I would take feedback from the participants regarding what they wanted to see next (for example, plot A) Danger Room troubles B) Anti-Mutant Extremists C) Mutant Supremacists D) Mystery Option), with the options changing each time a new plot arose. This would be a long term RP with no specific endgame in mind - we want to see our characters travel from awkward new mutants to full fledged X-Men.

We would use the Marvel Mythology as and when needed. Iron Man exists, so maybe a villain steals a suit? Perhaps our team is sent to help keep down riots after a Hulk rampage? Every few plots or so (this would probably work out at once a year) our team gets to go up against an existing Marvel villain, or train with someone like Wolverine. The time setting for this would be quite vague, so that we're not restricted on what we can do. I'd be open to Marvel or Ultimate Marvel.

This way we would be exploring the RP, and more importantly setting, the way these new X-Men would as if it was a new comic. Developing our own rivalries and relationships, our own villains and objects of interest.

Anyway, that's what I was thinking of. Would people prefer something more... Marvel-y? Fighting Dr. Doom and the like regularly? Feedback is incredibly appreciated. Nothing happens without feedback.
Old April 26th, 2013, 02:06 AM
Bleacher
Chaos Worshipper

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthet View Post
I really don't have the time to dedicate to creating and GMing a roleplay right now... so I'm trying very hard to resist my own temptations. But I'd like feedback on an idea regardless.

I was thinking of a RP set vaguely in the Marvel Universe where people play a new class of X-Men. The setting is great for a RP - the mansion, the grounds, the danger room, already have a freaking jet to get to places. The structure is waiting to be used. Although the RP would be in the Marvel Universe, existing Marvel characters will be used sparingly. More like cameo's than active participants - after all, the heavy hitters are too busy to come say hi to the five thousandth class of X-Kiddies.

Villains would be unique and new creations - I have an entire Rogues Gallery in my back pocket ready to go. We would be building our own mythology and recurring villains. I would take feedback from the participants regarding what they wanted to see next (for example, plot A) Danger Room troubles B) Anti-Mutant Extremists C) Mutant Supremacists D) Mystery Option), with the options changing each time a new plot arose. This would be a long term RP with no specific endgame in mind - we want to see our characters travel from awkward new mutants to full fledged X-Men.

We would use the Marvel Mythology as and when needed. Iron Man exists, so maybe a villain steals a suit? Perhaps our team is sent to help keep down riots after a Hulk rampage? Every few plots or so (this would probably work out at once a year) our team gets to go up against an existing Marvel villain, or train with someone like Wolverine. The time setting for this would be quite vague, so that we're not restricted on what we can do. I'd be open to Marvel or Ultimate Marvel.

This way we would be exploring the RP, and more importantly setting, the way these new X-Men would as if it was a new comic. Developing our own rivalries and relationships, our own villains and objects of interest.

Anyway, that's what I was thinking of. Would people prefer something more... Marvel-y? Fighting Dr. Doom and the like regularly? Feedback is incredibly appreciated. Nothing happens without feedback.
Yeah! I like this idea very much even though I like DC more than Marvel.

And yes please bring Marvel characters outside of the X-men franchise! :D
Old April 26th, 2013, 03:41 AM
Skymin
the gratitude pokémon

Nature: Quirky
Quote:

If you can implement it well, I'd be very interested in this. Don't forget, try to be original. Make your villains something the roleplayers don't see coming. It's more fun that way. I always get a little bit sad when roleplayer give off all their plot too early. Keep your players on their toes!! It keeps them motivated and more likely to stay active.
Old April 26th, 2013, 03:52 AM
Synthet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skymin View Post
If you can implement it well, I'd be very interested in this. Don't forget, try to be original. Make your villains something the roleplayers don't see coming. It's more fun that way. I always get a little bit sad when roleplayer give off all their plot too early. Keep your players on their toes!! It keeps them motivated and more likely to stay active.
Aside from the obligatory use of Sentinels (come on, there HAS to be Sentinels at some point in an X-Men roleplay) I would try and keep the villains powers/personalities/plots etc. very individual and different from existing Marvel content. There would also be different ways to deal with different villains. Some could be talked down, some tricked, some even redeemed, while some just have to be knocked over the head.

I was also considering providing requirements for the team. I would limit the number of players, and possibly stating that ideally the team has, for example;

One heavy hitter/fighter.
One brainiac.
One blastery person
etc.
etc.

That way we could construct a team similair to the way most superhero teams are made up. Just a thought.
Old April 26th, 2013, 08:10 AM
gimmepie
The Seeker of Pies
Community Supporter

Nature: Mild
@Naku and Geras - Well firstly the story is easy since it takes place in an alternative timeline (meaning the story of the anime is irrelevant and that both gates exist... although they actually have very little to do with the storyline of the RP). I don't want to give too much away before I even submit it but suffice to say I have thought it through and have a somewhat interesting plot planned out - as I said before I have to wait for my co-GM for the RP to go over some things with me anyway.

As for Marvel/DC - I have always preferred Marvel to DC really... I tend to feel that the story lines in Marvel are better than DC (with the exception of Batman) and that the universe in general mixes together better. The heroes in DC (again bar Batman) have always been to "super" and not enough human for my liking and the origin stories aren't really as interesting to me either (again bar batman).
Old April 26th, 2013, 06:34 PM
Dusk
Fighting to Renew my Past...

Nature: Lonely

Wolf's Rain - Extinction has been posted! I thought about it long and hard, and decided not to exclude the hunt for Paradise. Instead, it's an option, just as /everything/ will be in this RP. It will be completely sandbox with every character able to free roam. The ending will be decided entirely upon each and every player's actions during the RP.

I'm very excited to get this thing up and running.

Interested? Here's a sneak peak!

Spoiler:

When are we born? When do we die? Why are we born? Why do we die? The world has been destroyed and we've fallen countless times, always resurrecting from the ashes as Paradise. It has happened before, and it will happen again. An endless cycle of life and death. The world is a Paradise that was opened by someone, but this era too is almost at an end. We have acquired the means to exceed our natural span of life, never suspecting that the world itself was finalized in its existence. This knowledge has left me in despair, my fate has fallen and scattered like the petals of a dying flower, like the blast from a sand storm it has been warn down and weathered away. As if to be purified, the world will be encased in ice so that it can return to the beginning once more. Paradise is a world that is opened by someone...

They say there's no such place as Paradise. Even if you search to the ends of the Earth, there's nothing there. No matter how far you walk, it's always the same road. It just goes on and on. But, in spite of that... Why am I so driven to find it? A voice calls to me... It says, "Search for Paradise."

According to an old legend, when the end of the world comes, a place known as Paradise will appear. However, only wolves will know how to find it. Although wolves are believed to have been hunted to extinction nearly two hundred years ago, they still exist, surviving by taking human forms.

However, this lifetime has taken a turn for the worse.

The existence of wolves has become common knowledge, and some Humans won't stop until they're all extinct. While these wolves maintain secrecy in Human disguise, they find themselves searching... For Paradise.

Paradise is said to be a perfect world, though no one has seen it with their own eyes. It is said that only wolves can enter its glorious world, though only when led there by a lunar flower.

Humans, terrified of wolves, have become suspicious of even each other, and chaos has ensued in the past few months. Some try to go about their lives in fear, some actively hunt the wolves... Yet some want to see them live.

A Pagan-like religion has formed under the Lunar Tome, or "Book of the Moon". This book is banned and those who own it are executed, their book burned. However, some Humans still read from it in secrecy, and believe in its words. The Book of the Moon explains about Wolves, Lunar Flowers, Paradise, and much more, but one detail stands out among all else: the book states that wolves are divine creatures, and that Humans are descendants of wolves.

These Tome-worshiping Humans call themselves Pagans, and would prefer to see the wolves left alone, or even assisted in their journey, rather than slaughtered. However, they must keep their beliefs secret, or else they become outcasts, get executed, or both.

In very rare instances, some Humans have gone hunting for wolves, using their rifles to end every one they can find.

Meanwhile, the wolves run free, though cautious and hidden. Most search for Paradise, Lunar Flowers, or simply a place to live in peace. Some wish to live alongside Humans, while some wish to never see another. Wolves most often live in the wilderness outside of Human towns, travelling often so that they aren't found. However, some wolves have found residence in old abandoned buildings or towns, among other things. Some travel in packs, some are lone wolves. On rare occasion, some Wolves have lived their lives like dogs, fooling everyone including their owners. Most wolves mock these 'pets', and disagree with the idea entirely.

Nobles are alien beings that look strikingly similar to Humans (they are nearly impossible to differentiate if you exclude technology and clothing) and live in airships that are clearly far more advanced than Human tech. Nobles make little to no contact with Humans due to a lack of interest. Few Nobles are also searching for Paradise, and plan to find it before the wolves do.

Old April 27th, 2013, 03:04 AM
Synthet

I've decided to go ahead with the X-Men roleplay, but I've been looking at a lot of other peoples opening/explanation posts for their roleplays. There's all sorts of funky banners, artwork etc. that I just don't know how to do. If anyone would be willing to help me with that so I can have a beautiful opening post then I'll gladly return the favour somehow, be it help designing your character for the roleplay or what have you. Thanks in advance!
Old April 27th, 2013, 05:36 AM
revlis
Ooh, Ooh! I vote makeovers!
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Quote:
I've decided to go ahead with the X-Men roleplay, but I've been looking at a lot of other peoples opening/explanation posts for their roleplays. There's all sorts of funky banners, artwork etc. that I just don't know how to do. If anyone would be willing to help me with that so I can have a beautiful opening post then I'll gladly return the favour somehow, be it help designing your character for the roleplay or what have you. Thanks in advance!
To be honest, fancy artwork and background .gif files are the least of your worries. For something nice looking, have a look at BB Coding such as[INDENT] and [h1], which is really easy and can make the biggest difference. If you want some help, there are several users on the RP forum including the likes of myself, Skymin and Red who should be able to help you out.

Also, fully supporting you for the X-Men roleplay; big fan of Marvel myself. If you need any help, I still have some notes from when Atlantis Awakening was initially going to be an Alternate Version of the Marvel Civil War. Also, what arc are you going to set it in?
Old April 27th, 2013, 09:39 AM
Aquali Umiko
Roaring back with a vengeance!

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
I'm not much help when it comes to graphics and the what-not, but you can count me in on the roleplay. xD
Old April 27th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Synthet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 雷影 イチロ View Post
To be honest, fancy artwork and background .gif files are the least of your worries. For something nice looking, have a look at BB Coding such as[INDENT] and [h1], which is really easy and can make the biggest difference. If you want some help, there are several users on the RP forum including the likes of myself, Skymin and Red who should be able to help you out.

Also, fully supporting you for the X-Men roleplay; big fan of Marvel myself. If you need any help, I still have some notes from when Atlantis Awakening was initially going to be an Alternate Version of the Marvel Civil War. Also, what arc are you going to set it in?
Mainly I'm just looking to put a banner across the top and arrange things into nice sections. Nothing too fancy, but I'm unfamilair with forum coding.

Well, I'm being a bit weird and not setting it in an arc. I've gone for regular Marvel over Ultimate Marvel, as I think that for those who aren't too familair with Ultimate the differences will throw them off quite a bit. It's going to sort of be set in a generic Marvel, where everyone is in the role they're known best for, if that makes sense. The vast majority of characters will be alive and doing their thing, that way when we do involve the Marvel characters we're not limited. If the RP is successful and becomes well established I may start running us through the Marvel arcs and involving Marvel characters more, but I don't want to say which ones I'd start with just yet.
Old April 27th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Adventure
i n t e r s t e l l a r

Nature: Naive
Quote:
Mainly I'm just looking to put a banner across the top and arrange things into nice sections. Nothing too fancy, but I'm unfamilair with forum coding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 雷影 イチロ
If you want some help, there are several users on the RP forum including the likes of myself, Skymin and Red who should be able to help you out.
Synthet, if you throw me or one of the others a PM when you have finished the draft, we can show you how to put the simplest codings to good use and make a post look neat and organized. If you want~

dave x jade // moderator of RPC and PGen
Old April 27th, 2013, 12:40 PM
Synthet

That'd be great. Thank you!
Old April 28th, 2013, 02:34 AM
Skymin
the gratitude pokémon

Nature: Quirky
Yeah, I'd be happy to help with any kind of visual design. I know my photoshop if I do say so myself and I can find my way around CSS coding.

Like red said, if you need any help, don't be afraid to ask. But, like Ichiro said, design should be the last of your worries. Make sure you plan effectively and create a great storyline before you even touch anything to do with design. I'm more worried about your plot before pretty colours in a first post.

But yay Marvel! I really need to get through Amazing Spider-Man a lot faster if I want to keep up with everything haha (up to #25, I really have a long way to go)
Old April 28th, 2013, 03:57 AM
Synthet

Not to worry Skymin, I have the plot planned out a long way in advance! It'll take a while to get to 'actual plot', as we'll be doing some character development and establishing the premise to start with, but when it starts it'll be something to see, hopefully! Some factors have been left loose at the moment, as I want to be able to respond to what sort of characters bring to the table, but all the frame work is there.
Old April 28th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Colony
It's About Dominating!

Nature: Lax
Okay, so I was wondering if for my very Megaman-Battle-Network-like RP I should include something similar to the battle chip system. What would everyone think about that? I figured it could help expand combat against NT and viruses, which ultimately would help prevent things from getting stale. For just a better understanding for people that never played the Battle Network games, battle chips are small discs (think the size of a DS cartridge) that store specialized weapons, some of which include guns, swords, and even other characters (there are literally hundreds of battle chips, so naturally I can't list them effectively). If everyone - read as mostly - likes the idea then I'll start developing some concepts.

More to come, but they're in the works. Also, if you like what you see and want one just ask. It's not like I've got anything better to do (other than write posts).
Old April 28th, 2013, 02:54 PM
Aques Keus
Swaggins
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
I just finished the story to an original world RP. It is a story driven RP, as in very little sandboxing, currently it is called The Ronin of the Red Rising (title subject to change). I want it to be for the more active Roleplayers who are in some of the slower RPs.

This RP has an end, so it won't last very long (Assuming constantly active players, the story would last maybe 4 months.) My problem is, it is not aesthetically pleasing. And I would like to ask for help with designing the OOC post

Frio & Elise || Jayce & Jayce 2
Old April 28th, 2013, 03:49 PM
revlis
Ooh, Ooh! I vote makeovers!
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
When it comes to character building, how do you bring your character to life?

In my case, I don't so much as write the character bit by bit, but rather i create a character with my mind and chronicle their attributes. Sometimes I'll even go so far as to take on their persona around the flat and in town; all to get a better feel for the character.

For one of my characters, Wyatt, I put him on as a persona; not full fleshed out, but rather I fleshed him out by writing the ways in which myself as him reacted. His thoughts, feelings and memories, kinda bloomed into fruition until I had this SU of him written up.

Another character of mine, Kieran, I went to a cafe on a break from work and ordered a coffee as him which I later added into the RP he was a character for.It felt a bit weird, but it was interesting.

So I guess I become the character before I write the SU.

How about you guys?
Old April 28th, 2013, 04:01 PM
KataliaKitty
TheDemonicTrainer

So, I'm in the way of looking for some people to get into a roleplay with. More than one on one. If you wanna get involved in it, I'm still working on the idea. But you can message me before I post the starter so that we can talk about it. I'll get my ideas up and about sooner or later and do my best to keep it going and have some great ideas, alright? Like I said, just message me if you want to join in.
Old April 28th, 2013, 05:26 PM
Aques Keus
Swaggins
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Avatar and first sentence of your post gave me the wrong idea, then the "Not one on one" part confirmed that you knew what I was thinking T-T

Every one of my characters are modeled around a personality of mine and someone I see the day I make them. I put myself in their shoes so to speak, then create a character in from those thoughts.

To bring them to life, I use a lot of NPCs, as I find it impossible to do so without them (Like who in real life just monologues all day?)

Frio & Elise || Jayce & Jayce 2
Old April 28th, 2013, 06:25 PM
gimmepie
The Seeker of Pies
Community Supporter

Nature: Mild
Quote:
Originally Posted by 雷影 イチロ View Post

In my case, I don't so much as write the character bit by bit, but rather i create a character with my mind and chronicle their attributes. Sometimes I'll even go so far as to take on their persona around the flat and in town; all to get a better feel for the character.

For one of my characters, Wyatt, I put him on as a persona; not full fleshed out, but rather I fleshed him out by writing the ways in which myself as him reacted. His thoughts, feelings and memories, kinda bloomed into fruition until I had this SU of him written up.

Another character of mine, Kieran, I went to a cafe on a break from work and ordered a coffee as him which I later added into the RP he was a character for.It felt a bit weird, but it was interesting.

So I guess I become the character before I write the SU.

How about you guys?
My characters start with a basic framework which may be a couple of personality traits, an ability set or an appearance - it depends really. From their I'll flesh it out until they have a full appearance, history, personality and anything else they need. After doing that I'll probably make a few changes but the majority of my characters are RP specific so it is rare for me to spend more than a day or two on them and it is unusual for them to become entirely different characters over the process of development (but it has happened).
Old April 28th, 2013, 08:10 PM
KataliaKitty
TheDemonicTrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khawill View Post
Avatar and first sentence of your post gave me the wrong idea, then the "Not one on one" part confirmed that you knew what I was thinking T-T

Every one of my characters are modeled around a personality of mine and someone I see the day I make them. I put myself in their shoes so to speak, then create a character in from those thoughts.

To bring them to life, I use a lot of NPCs, as I find it impossible to do so without them (Like who in real life just monologues all day?)
My avatar gave you the wrong idea? XD I suppose it would. Anyways, I mostly roleplay previously created characters from animes and video games.

But when I do create an OC, I tend to make them name first, then try to fit the personality to the name. Parts of my personality do tend to bleed through. But, otherwise, it's amazingly complex to create my characters. And then the back story has to fit the character explicitly. Such as, I have an OC who is a pirate, and it took me three hours to actually completely finish him after I had the name because I had to make sure his back story fit him.

Then, let me see, it always goes just right for me.

NPCs? I don't really use them that often because they're just background space. If it's one on one, then it's just me and one other roleplayer and I tend to ignore the NPCs just because I don't need them with one on one stuff. But, then, if it's more than one character, or more than two roleplayers, I can usually include the NPCs, but only in the background. I tend to not really care.
Old April 28th, 2013, 08:59 PM
lacoste

Well, I have a very hard time coming up with names, so I usually choose a 'placeholder name' to begin with, and then the magic happens in the History section.
Personality and Appearance are completely based off of History, and if I haven't got a specific appearance in mind, it really is irrelevant in my mind.

The funny part, however, is that by the time I'm done with a SU, I tend to get attached to the placeholder name, which sort of turns into "the character's name already" in my mind, so I rarely ever end up changing it in the end.

But yeah, it's all in having a clear and defined history, imo.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links