The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Metal & Color Generation

Notices

Metal & Color Generation Take a walk down memory lane with Red, Blue, and Yellow, the games that started it all! Then revisit the best region ever in the original Johto games, Gold, Silver, and Crystal.

Advertise here

Old April 15th, 2013, 11:48 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7

Advertise here
In Pokémon Gold, Silver and Crystal there was an event that took place every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday in the National Park called the Bug-Catching Contest. In the contest you had 20 minutes to catch the best bug type Pokémon you could find. At the end you were judged against NPCs and items were awarded for how well you did. So did you like the Bug-Catching Contest? How could it have been improved? Which other bug Pokémon should have been available there? Did it make up for the lack of a Safari Zone?

Discuss!

I'm a Shuckle~
Old April 19th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Magnetic
Underground Trainer

Nature: Mild
I love all the creative, unique things Pokemon comes out with in each game. I don't remember a ton of how my bug catching contests fared, I just remembered liking it and winning it a lot lol.
Old April 21st, 2013, 03:24 AM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
I really liked participating in them. I think if they had a few more Pokémon to find or had some sort of bonus for catching one of each would have been nice. I think it does sort of make up for not having a Safari Zone. I think Heracross and Shuckle would have been cool finds.
Old April 21st, 2013, 05:07 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
I really enjoyed the bug catching contests in G/S/C even though I probably lost most of the time. I feel like they should of added Venomoth,ledian,Aridoes or however it's spelled as they had Butterfree and Beedrill.
Old April 21st, 2013, 03:01 PM
Magnetic
Underground Trainer

Nature: Mild
Pretty sure this helped me out too. I think it helped me get stronger pokemon than I had in my party haha.
Old April 21st, 2013, 08:40 PM
Synerjee
the oncoming storm.

Nature: Relaxed
I liked participating in those contests a lot! It gave me the opportunity to fill up my Pokedex with any bug-types I hadn't yet captured. I did win a few times with either a Scyther or a Pinsir, but even if I didn't win, I still loved catching those bugs. It wouldn't really substitute for a Safari Zone, but I guess it's alright.

pairs | twitter | showdown | pc family
Old April 21st, 2013, 09:15 PM
Elaitenstile
➜is not the last B E A C O N

Send a message via Skype™ to Elaitenstile
I have convinced myself that I don't like silly bugs, but I did try a lot in the contest, ALWAYS ending up second with my Scyther. I'm pretty sure the reward was a Sun Stone which was a little nice too. But I couldn't get, always the Gold Berry.

IMO it's a silly excuse stead of a Safari Zone, and the region could be better with a Safari Zone.

Previously known as Elaitenstile 
Old April 22nd, 2013, 09:25 AM
pokem0nprincess

Nature: Quirky
I would have liked a Safari Zone, because those are the coolest (imo) but it still was fun to go to the Contest and catch an awesome Scyther and win a sweet prize. Although I feel like I lost too often and was beaten by some of the strong bugs before I got to catch any cool ones.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 04:44 PM
Otter Mii-kun
Molly, you're cute ;)

I participated in the Bug Catching Contest primary to get certain bug-types not available by any other means (such as Scyther, Pinsir, and the other line of caterpillar/cocoon/adult Pokémon not found earlier in the game). I rarely ever won the contest on top, even if I chose to keep a Scyther or Pinsir-and thought the whole thing was fixed like those quiz shows from the 1950s.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 06:39 PM
Sheep

Nature: Timid
This contest was sooo easy. Once I found out that your rank is based on the remaining HP of your caught Pokemon, winning became so easy. I pretty much found the best Pokemon I could at the highest level and kept chucking Park Balls until it was caught with full/near full HP.

Before I knew that though, it was a bit of a pain. ;~;

pair | family | my star | twin
club 1 club 2 club 3
Old April 22nd, 2013, 07:12 PM
Brittani
Pokefan for life!! (:

Nature: Calm
I really liked the bug-catching contest but I think that the park could have been a bit more spacious. Also, it would have been nice if there were more bug pokemon and less safari balls. But I did really enjoy this part of the game when I was a child and I still do when I play it!

"Peace under an illusion is not true peace. It's only meaningful if the real world manages to accomplish it." - Gaara ♥

75% of Pokemon gamers use cheats and specially made codes to make their pokemon battle-worthy. If you are one of the 25% percent that level their Pokemon up legally, put this in your signature.

Old April 24th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Rai
Misao <3

Nature: Impish
Send a message via AIM to Rai
I really liked the original Bug Contest. It was fun and I won all the time.

I can't seem to win easily in HGSS though ._.
Old April 25th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Mochi

Nature: Sassy
I liked how they added this to the National Park but I hated losing to that one punk kid who would catch a Metapod and win when I'd catch Scyther or Pinsir. It was still a cool way to add unique Pokemon early on in the game.
Old April 26th, 2013, 03:55 AM
Yukari Yakumo
necrofantasia
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Yukari Yakumo
I almost always got a Scyther, and came either 1st or 2nd, 1st place guy ALWAYS had a Pinsir or something similar...
fc | fs
pairs
family
credit
theme
Old April 26th, 2013, 04:56 AM
Treetwig
Banned for being awesome

I rarely participate at Pokemon bug catching but I always come at 1st or 2nd place because those Pinsirs and scythers are always popping out the grass
Old April 26th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Struggler

I liked it even if it was easier than the Safari Zone. Surely they could have provided a better 3rd prize than a Gold Berry though. I mean you get Super Potions before the 2nd gym and Gold Berry's are worse!
Old April 27th, 2013, 09:53 PM
Brendino
#fpt2014

Nature: Quiet
I think the Bug Catching Contest/National Park was the best possible substitution for the Safari Zone possible. Sure, aside from Pinsir or Scyther the Pokemon weren't all that great, but getting prizes just for participating was worth it (although, I wish we could've gotten something other than a Sun Stone if we won- I must've had about 10 I never used).
Old April 28th, 2013, 02:27 AM
R.F.
Badass Overlord

Nature: Calm
I really liked the old Contest, mainly because you were able to catch Scyther (one of my favourites of all bug Pokemon). I really like this thing and since it evolves into Scizor, it's even better.

Also winning with Scyther was pretty easy, as long as you catch one on Lv. 14 you were good to go. The prices were pretty good to, even though a little bit of variety would have been better.
Old April 28th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Sweets Witch
I just love ham jerky.

I'd participate when I remembered about it, but I rarely ever won. If I could get a Scyther then it was good enough for me, but it always bothered me when 1st place won with something like a level 18 Caterpie.
Old April 29th, 2013, 12:16 PM
kraider
Unhatched Egg

The whole contest is a bit boring, but I may give it a try
Old May 5th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Hidden Power

The first time I played this game it was accidentally. After I noticed that it was a mini-game, I tried to win sometimes but catching a nice bug in that place is something hard, then I didn't like very much of the Bug-Catching Contest. I have already won the first prize only once, it's a very tiring game.

And as some members say that it was make up the lack of Safari Zone, I disagree. Safari Zone can't be replaced by the Bug-Catching Contest, they're far different from each other.
Old May 8th, 2013, 01:29 AM
AnonygooseD
Lametrainer

The contest was awesome, you don't pay a penny & end up having a Pinsir & a sun stone, & it happens 3 times a week, EVERY week.
It didn't make up for the Safari Zone however cuz G/S/C were about having an adventure in Johto then travelling to Kanto & redoing the whole R/B/G adventure there, so I expected a Safari Zone & the Pokemon Tower side-quest...
Old May 8th, 2013, 07:41 AM
YamiNoBlade Twihiki Amias
~Be by my side for Eternity ~

Nature: Serious
I did partake in the contest but tbh, I didn't really like it that much, sure you get to catch some decent Pokemon early in the game, but, the Bug Catching contest will not replace the Safari Zone. I liked it too much and the pokemon there were too greatly decent. And of course my love of the 1st generation will burn strong.

Gym Leader Cheren
Partner N'Crime
| Showdown! | PC Family | Pairs

Currently on Hiatus until further notice.
Old June 1st, 2013, 05:09 AM
JawDane
Here for the Nostalgia

Yeah, that was pretty cool. Only ever ended up caring about getting the Pinsir though.
Old June 2nd, 2013, 03:54 AM
Scotash!

It was fun to compete in. You know, I don't think I've ever won one.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here