The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fourth Generation

Notices

Fourth Generation Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum kicked off the fourth generation of Pokémon. Two years later, fans of the Johto region were treated to a remastered adventure in HeartGold & SoulSilver. Discuss the games, explore the features, share your experiences, and help other players out!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 6th, 2013, 11:48 PM
Aslan
the pretender

There was an old thread a while back but it died due to inactivity, so time to bring it back again! Essentially in this thread you can post about your best and worst moments when playing through the Fourth Generation. Here you can post experiences that made you leap for joy, experiences you wish you had forgotten the moment they happened and any other moments you'd like to share. If you're unsure of what sort of things you'll exactly need to post, then here are a few examples to get you started:

Best moments:

Example #1

Spoiler:
I was walking through Eterna Forest and it seemed to be like a normal day you know? There was no sign anything out of the ordinary would happen, so I kept trekking through the dark woods with Cheryl closely tagging behind me with her Chansey. We were walking through the grass and I was training my latest team member, a Drifloon which I had caught at the Valley Windorks last night. After encountering a few wild Budews, I encountered a shiny Buneary. This never happened to me. I rubbed my eyes and it was still there on the screen with it's cute smile edging me on. I sent out my Drifloon and managed to whittle down it's health before capturing the Buneary. I grinned holding the Pokeball in my hand, my first shiny, it was the best moment I ever had when playing through either D/P/Pt or HG/SS and probably in my whole entire career as a Pokemon trainer.

Example #2

Spoiler:
My best moment in the entire fourth generation was definitely defeating Cynthia. Yeah alright that sounds a little pathetic and some of you may be sitting there going "Yeah so? Everyone can defeat the champion.". But really this was an entirely different matter for me. I was new to Pokemon and often I had no clue what I was doing exploring around areas I had never been to before, often asking my sister for help and directions. My team consisted of all sorts of odd Pokemon, those you'd never imagine one to use unless in a really difficult challenge of some sort. After five months of playing through the game, I had finally gotten to the Pokemon League. It was a huge achievement for me considering at the third gym, I was already moaning that the game edged the level of almost impossible which my sister snorted at. I was excited and prepared myself for the Elite Four and their mysterious champion. After healing up and buying a few supplies I headed through the gates.

I struggled with the Elite Four after Aaron, I was considering giving up at times. Not only were my Pokemon an odd bunch that had rather pathetic attacks, they were also extremely underlevelled. Looking back on it now I laugh endlessly at it, but let's get back to the point. Somehow I managed to get through all of the Elite Four although I had to heal often in between and while battling to survive. Then I made it to the champion's room. By then I was quivering and had the instant urge to bite my fingernails, but I stopped myself. You can do it, I told myself. After a gruelling battle, I realised I had won. I had beaten the game, so long ago I thought was impossible. There's still the aftergame but still.... that moment of victory I will always cherish.

tl;dr:
Example #1: Found a Shiny Buneary in Eterna Forest while training a Drifloon.

Example #2: Beat the champion in Platinum after considering the game impossible- mainly because of an underlevelled and odd team.

Worst Moments:

Example

Spoiler:
I'll never forget the day when I was careless and roared away a shiny Dialga. Some of you might be sitting up in your chair at this moment and screaming "CHEATER!", at the top of your lungs. But really this was luck, pure luck. I couldn't believe my own eyes, myself. I did a giddy dance and grinned, this was my first shiny encounter and what luck it was one of the most amazing Pokemon (in my opinion)! I sent out Empoleon and whittled it's HP easily down to the Red Health Bar before switching in Luxray and hoping to maybe throw in a paralysis. Instead of clicking the appropiate status condition move, I clicked Roar accidentally. You can probably imagine my reaction. I was pulling my hair out and yelling furiously before being told to calm down by my brother who was watching me with an amused look on his face. Why I had Roar in the first place, I can't exactly remember. But I learnt my lesson and now everytime I face any Pokemon, I pay careful attention to the moves I use.

tl;dr: Roared away a Shiny Dialga.

NOTE: These are just examples and have not actually happened to me. I've just composed them quickly to give you an idea of what you can post.

You can describe your moments in any way you like, whether it'd be a story or a poem or anything really. Just make sure that it happened in the Fourth Generation and that it's appropiate (i.e: not too much excessive swearing), which is probably a given. Post away! :>

Last edited by Aslan; April 6th, 2013 at 11:55 PM.
Old April 6th, 2013, 11:51 PM
Foxrally
Torterra = Epic Private Island

Nature: Naive
Best moments: Found out I didn't actually finish my Platinum game, 1 year and a half afterwards. It felt so good to be able to see Torterra and my elite team in action again :D

Worst moments: Not being able to catch Giratina cuz i used my master ball on a tentacruel.

Pairs - -
Old April 6th, 2013, 11:58 PM
Hikamaru
Ωmega and αlpha
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Best moment: Defeating all of Lance's Dragonites in the Champion battle in SoulSilver using only my Miltank. I managed to do a Strength + Attract combo and his Pokemon failed to attack every single time under the infatuation.

Worst moment: Catching a Shiny Unown in Diamond. The worst Shiny I have ever caught to this day *facepalm*.
Old April 7th, 2013, 03:14 AM
mimimahboul
More than Awesome

Nature: Jolly
Best Moment:: When I Defeated my rival in Heartgold only with my Gligar!

Worst Moment: I accidently left my Ds on my desk and went to take dinner. My little my brother came and turned it off. I was so mad cause I just defeated all elite four and was gonna defeat the champion. I forgot to save before I go eat
Old April 7th, 2013, 03:34 AM
T!M
Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner

Nature: Serious
For SoulSilver

Best
Finding my first shiny ever. (Sunkern)

Worst
Finding out that the Elite Four upgrade and add 1 more Pokémon to their roster after you beat them the first time. And I thought I was done. HA!
Old April 7th, 2013, 08:01 AM
Golden Warrior
Pokemon Professor

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Golden Warrior
Pokemon Diamond (My first run, not my current one)

Best:
Beating the Elite Four on my first try. It was quite nice.

Worst:
Caught a female Hippowdon, I'm ok with that, the bad part is the reason I caught it. I thought it was shiny! >_<

3DS/Pokemon Y FC: 5300 - 9087 - 1138
I'll be up to battle or trade, I'll also always be up to multibattle. PM me if you add me here, give me a reason that you're adding me, and I'll be sure to add you back!

Friend Safari: Bug Type
Pokemon: Paras, Beautifly, and Pinsir.
Old April 7th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
For Pearl

best: catching Uxie in one healball.
worst: finding a shiny Starly in the safari zone and the game crashes.
Old April 13th, 2013, 04:28 AM
Warship
異議あり!

Best: Defeating cynthia with extremely underleveled pokemon.
Worst:My heartgold deleting itself twice
Growlithe - Charmeleon - Braixen
Old April 15th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Aurora

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Aurora
Best moment: By some extraordinary miracle, I 6-0ed Cynthia with Pokemon 10 levels below that of hers.

Worst moment: Fainting Azelf with Hydro Pump... then saving.
Old April 18th, 2013, 06:44 PM
Rickfields
Togepi

Best moment: reliving the awesome game that is gold version. Mostly everything was amazing....
Worst: ... Except that Miltank, that thing always kicks my butt.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 11:32 AM
Zoegrace1

Best: Beating Cynthia. (I jumped around screaming)

Worst: When my Heart Gold game broke and took the life of my first Pokemon, and many others.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 03:00 PM
Rϵd
Ahola Bith

Nature: Careful
Best: Catching Giratina.

Worst: Trying to catch Giratina :p

Theme | Pairs | PC Battle Server
Old April 23rd, 2013, 04:15 AM
Jordz92
Unhatched Egg

Best Moment: Accentedly catching a shiny Zubat because it looked different

Worst Moment: finding out my brother used my Master ball on a pidgy when i went to catch mewtwo
Old April 23rd, 2013, 04:45 AM
Treetwig
Banned for being awesome

For platinum

Best moments:When I caught a shiny starly my first ever shiny pokemon on gen.4

Worst moments:I defeated the tower tycoon then the game crashes....sob!

For my heartgold

Best moments:I defeated e4 and lance using lv.35-40 pokemons! Lol

Worst moments:The game's save file has been corrupted many times -.-
Old April 23rd, 2013, 06:11 AM
Rϵd
Ahola Bith

Best: Spiritomb beating that Garchomp of Cynthias.

Worse: Using my master ball on Lugia (Should have used it for Latios)

Old April 23rd, 2013, 07:53 AM
Wilhelm
Hail the Almighty Robot Policeman

A few months ago, I was playing Diamond. I was participating in a challenge called the Champion challenge where I was using only Pokemon that Cynthia used. Don't worry, this isn't some weird challenge topic. I got to the Galactic Building in Eterna City, and had a Spiritomb and Feebas, which I traded in, and a Budew that wouldn't evolve.

I made it all the way to the top of the building and fought Jupiter. Needless to say, I lost. I rest my game, and after a couple tries, could not win. So I decided to back track all the way to the GTS to check my Budew's friendship via Pokecheck. Once I returned to the Eterna Building, everyone was gone, including Jupiter and the Bike Salesman, as if I had won the fight against Jupiter. I was so dumbfounded that a bug like this could exist. I have yet to test it a second time since then, since I haven't restarted my Diamond.

Has anyone else ever encountered this, or would like to test it? I will be resetting my Diamond pretty soon, but it will be for another challenge.

Old April 26th, 2013, 04:32 PM
curiousnathan
they said we could be anything

I'm going to move this to The Best and Worst Moments [V.20] as this is more of an recount on an experience, which I'm happy for people to reply to and discuss, in there.

[ Moved ]
Old April 26th, 2013, 05:05 PM
Rϵd
Ahola Bith

Best: Catching Ho-oh with a POKEBALL.

Worst: Ho-oh being defeated by a Horsea

Old April 26th, 2013, 07:18 PM
PichuRules4ever
The TF2 Pyro

For HeartGold

Best: Defeating Red and finally finishing HeartGold

Worst: Fighting Whitney's Miltank.
Old April 26th, 2013, 11:31 PM
Yukari Yakumo
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Yukari Yakumo
Best Moment: Capturing Giratina in a Pokeball...sure, it's stupid, but it was an exciting moment. It was at school too! I just walled it with my Magnezone, paralyzing, then switched to Empoleon to use Ice Beam on it. after a few balls lobbed at it, I caught it in a Pokeball. Me and my friend were super excited

Worst Moment: Running from a Shiny Medicham. such a sad moment looking back at it, as I was new to Pokemon back then.
pairs
family
credit
theme
Old April 28th, 2013, 10:43 PM
Brendino
#fpt2014

Nature: Quiet
Best Moment: Can't recall having any 'best' moments in the 4th gen, but I guess I'll go with catching Giratina on Platinum with my first Ultra Ball.

Worst Moment: Getting a used version of HeartGold, and not heeding the warning about deleting the save file before starting a new game. Less than 30 minutes in, I caught a Geodude on Route 46, and it had Pokerus. Having forgotten about the warning, I realized I couldn't overwrite the save file already on the cartridge. Considering getting Pokerus is 3x less likely than finding a shiny, I was not happy.

Pokémon Trainer Brendan wants to battle!
Grovyle (Lv. 32) - Overgrow - (Leaf Blade, Energy Ball)
Favorite Pokémon Tournament: FINALE
November 21st / Staff Collab 2014

(reduced activity through december, poke me if you need me)
Old April 29th, 2013, 12:12 PM
kraider
Unhatched Egg

Best: catching Giratina

Worst: catching Giratina took waaaaaaaaaaay to long
Old April 29th, 2013, 01:34 PM
zoroarkrules25

Best moment: Today: getting a shiny chickorita on heart gold in less then 3 hours of soft resetting and it being my first successful soft reset hunt. I was after it since i started a shiny badge quest today.

Worst: getting destroyed by shinnoh's elite four and then having to do hours of training and money grinding to beat them.
Old April 29th, 2013, 02:40 PM
The Doctor
I've got new kidneys!
Community Supporter

Location: The planet Gallifrey in the constellation of Kasterborous
Best: Beating Cynthia after many, many fails.

Worst: Cynthia's Garchomp

IGN: Adam
Old April 29th, 2013, 04:45 PM
⊗Slenderman⊗
[Left PC]
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Best-
Finding a shiny Ponyta (Random Encounter) on Diamond version.

Worst-
Using my Masterball on Raikou (which I decided to hate after seeing its moves)

Accidentally knocking out the first legendary I ever encountered. I close combat'd the Dialga and took it out with one hit (after wasting a turn with Wing Attack because I had no idea what I was doing, back then).
(Copy/paste the above into your browser)
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links