The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 27th, 2013, 09:09 AM
GoGoJJTech
GoGo

Nature: Quiet
Is there a way to add extra tile pallets? The ones you use in Advance map i mean. I'd like to add houses, but with different pallets. I already used the existing ones, so any way to add more? ASM seems to solve life's problems, maybe it requires ASM.

Pokémon Platinum Red and Blue

Join me in the chat! Get help or just talk, I really don't care :D | Click here: http://chat.linkandzelda.com:9090/?c...omhacking,GoGo
Old April 27th, 2013, 09:33 AM
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogojjtech View Post
Is there a way to add extra tile pallets? The ones you use in Advance map i mean. I'd like to add houses, but with different pallets. I already used the existing ones, so any way to add more? ASM seems to solve life's problems, maybe it requires ASM.
There are 16 palettes, right? Well, the game can only display 16 at a time (which gives you the 256 color palette) so adding more really isn't going to be easy. You may be able to find a way to switch palettes out based upon the tileset you are using, but just adding more won't work.

Paired with Simba
Old April 27th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Teh Blazer
Divider of Zero

Nature: Relaxed
Back in my day, I could index an image on Irfran View and open it up in Paint and it'd stay indexed to 16 colors. But now I upgraded computers and every time I open it up in Paint it reverts back to its 252 colors.

So I'm trying to insert a building and doing the necessary changes to the image (making sure the first color is the background color, fitting the image's colors to the game's rigid color system, etc.) but once I change the palette it just goes back in Paint. What's the new way to palette edit in indexed images?
Old April 27th, 2013, 11:00 AM
karatekid552

Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh Blazer View Post
Back in my day, I could index an image on Irfran View and open it up in Paint and it'd stay indexed to 16 colors. But now I upgraded computers and every time I open it up in Paint it reverts back to its 252 colors.

So I'm trying to insert a building and doing the necessary changes to the image (making sure the first color is the background color, fitting the image's colors to the game's rigid color system, etc.) but once I change the palette it just goes back in Paint. What's the new way to palette edit in indexed images?
I use GIMP and it works really well. Others use Photoshop and some draw their palette on the side and use that to draw in Paint and then index in Infranview. It is all personal opinion for you now.

Paired with Simba
Old April 27th, 2013, 11:27 AM
LaDestitute
Razor Sharp

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
I use GIMP and it works really well. Others use Photoshop and some draw their palette on the side and use that to draw in Paint and then index in Infranview. It is all personal opinion for you now.
I do the same, but I usually use Paint .net instead.
Old April 27th, 2013, 12:33 PM
M.L
Busy atm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh Blazer View Post

Do you use infran to reduce to 16 then save it re open and copy it into a new paint file and then open into character maker pro and save the palletes? Because that works 100% for me
Old April 27th, 2013, 12:49 PM
LaDestitute
Razor Sharp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post
No offence taken on my side, sir, and I apologise for wording my response the way I did. It's just that single line which I found genuinely funny. It's sadly not even close to being as simple as repointing some tables. There's a lot of hard work involved, a lot of ASM and such. It's not the sort of project that someone who is new to ROM hacking takes on.

However, my patch is nearing completion, and you, and all hackers, will be welcome to use it once it is complete!
Do you plan to add more than 649 slots? :D
Old April 27th, 2013, 01:25 PM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaDestitute View Post
Do you plan to add more than 649 slots? :D
No. However, I plan to, at some stage, release documentation to go along with it which will pinpoint where and what you need to change in order to add more.

I've taken as many precautions as I could to ensure that there were as few limiters as possible, and that they would be easy to change.
Old April 27th, 2013, 05:29 PM
GoGoJJTech
GoGo

How could I add an effect to a pokemon's PID? Spinda's dots and unown's letters and wurmple's evolution all are affected by the PID. But how would I be able to check the PID and change the appearance of a pokemon? Gender differences to be exact.

Join me in the chat! Get help or just talk, I really don't care :D | Click here: http://chat.linkandzelda.com:9090/?c...omhacking,GoGo
Old April 27th, 2013, 05:50 PM
kearnseyboy6
Aussie's Toughest Mudder

Quote:
Unfortunately I checked before and they only state 'controls visibility of an ITEM in ROUTE 1' for example.

At last, flags 300-4AF are not in his lists? Could that possibly mean I have close to 450 free flags?
And the same with 701-805. Or are these flags non-tested yet?
Old April 27th, 2013, 06:05 PM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearnseyboy6 View Post
Unfortunately I checked before and they only state 'controls visibility of an ITEM in ROUTE 1' for example.

At last, flags 300-4AF are not in his lists? Could that possibly mean I have close to 450 free flags?
And the same with 701-805. Or are these flags non-tested yet?
Don't screw with flags. They don't really work out well for you. A lot of flags and vars exist in the space in which other stuff, like PC boxes and other flags and vars are stored.

Also, the flags for items, did you check route 1 and see if the flag matches up to the item's flag there? They could be one in the same, in fact, that is what I was thinking when I sent you the link.

Quote:
How could I add an effect to a pokemon's PID? Spinda's dots and unown's letters and wurmple's evolution all are affected by the PID. But how would I be able to check the PID and change the appearance of a pokemon? Gender differences to be exact.
STOP!

....and go learn ASM. That is the only way possible to do something like this. Almost all of your questions and stuff you would like to know so far require some sort of ASM. So, work really hard at it and when you think you can match Darth's or Jambo's skill, then you may be able to implement a system such as the one you just described.

Paired with Simba

Last edited by karatekid552; April 27th, 2013 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old April 27th, 2013, 06:14 PM
GoGoJJTech
GoGo

Wait, I already know basic ASM, I just need to time to learn more. That's why I ask these things, to learn. Also I was asking because Jambo's Basculin thing does what I described, a custom call to change the appearance, but instead of using the PRNG I want it to check the Gender. Any thoughts?

Old April 27th, 2013, 06:36 PM
kearnseyboy6
Aussie's Toughest Mudder

Quote:
Don't screw with flags. They don't really work out well for you. A lot of flags and vars exist in the space in which other stuff, like PC boxes and other flags and vars are stored.

Also, the flags for items, did you check route 1 and see if the flag matches up to the item's flag there? They could be one in the same, in fact, that is what I was thinking when I sent you the link.
Roger that thanks! I won't touch non listed flags. And the flags do match up correctly.

However I think I explained myself wrong. Is there a faster way of knowing what item the flag is? At the moment I'm using XSE to decompile and then looking up the item in giveitem, and if I want to obtain a hyper potion... well thats a lot of decompiling. Bulbapedia helps but I was just wondering if anyone has already taken the time to list each flags corrosponding item.

Does that make sense?
Old April 27th, 2013, 07:50 PM
LaDestitute
Razor Sharp

I've run into an issue with trying to change Professor Oak's sprite in the intro using unLZGBA. I've followed the correct steps word for word, and my rom booted up fine so I did everything right, I believe. Yet, when I start a new game on VBA, the sprite hasn't changed period and yet when I go back into unLZGBA, the sprite is indeed different.
Old April 27th, 2013, 09:18 PM
miksy91
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Wait, I already know basic ASM, I just need to time to learn more. That's why I ask these things, to learn. Also I was asking because Jambo's Basculin thing does what I described, a custom call to change the appearance, but instead of using the PRNG I want it to check the Gender. Any thoughts?
No idea should I recommend doing so or not (because stealing itself is wrong), but you could always track down Jambo's routine and use it by your own means (either credit him or build your own code similar to it).

Then where it does some gender check, you replace that part with "using the PRNG".

Not difficult at all once you've got;
1) Some programming experience with machine languages / Thumb asm
2) Know where you possibly have to look for / store data during the process (debugging helps)

Hacks I support

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
Old April 27th, 2013, 09:36 PM
robin22gongon

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to robin22gongon
My questions got skipped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin22gongon View Post
How do I make a certain Pokemon behave like this:

When a ball is thrown and you successfully catch it, you keep it.

When a ball is thrown and it breaks out, it will flee.

Is there a possible way to do this?

And does anyone have a copy of the ASM code they used in the Legit Patch for FR? I wanted to "investigate" it.
Old April 27th, 2013, 09:53 PM
HidoranBlaze

i don't know if this has been answered
but whenever i try to edit advanced text i get these weird symbols on A-text
[&HC2DD][&HDDAB][&H3F] [&HCDE3][&HE3E6][&HE6E6][&HE6ED][&H3F] [&HE8E3][&H3F] [&HDFD9][&HD9D9][&HD9E4][&H3F] [&HEDE3]....
does anybody know why this is happening?
Old April 27th, 2013, 10:06 PM
robin22gongon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikapoke33 View Post
[&HC2DD][&HDDAB][&H3F] [&HCDE3][&HE3E6][&HE6E6][&HE6ED][&H3F] [&HE8E3][&H3F] [&HDFD9][&HD9D9][&HD9E4][&H3F] [&HEDE3]....
You may have overwritten some important data. Possible causes:

Longer Text but A-Text didn't repoint.
Originally a long text, you made it shorter. Inserted another data right after it then made your short text longer.

But those are just my guess.
Old April 27th, 2013, 10:06 PM
LaDestitute
Razor Sharp

Quote:
You probably won't to start with a fresh rom, or at least get into the habit of frequently making backups.
Old April 27th, 2013, 10:22 PM
HidoranBlaze

Quote:
You may have overwritten some important data. Possible causes:

Longer Text but A-Text didn't repoint.
Originally a long text, you made it shorter. Inserted another data right after it then made your short text longer.

But those are just my guess.
It happens when I load a clean pokemon rom into A-Text as well so i don't think that's really the issue for me....
Pretty much after I load A-Text, the window on the right loads with those weird symbols whenever I load a text. I seriously don't get this....
Old April 27th, 2013, 10:27 PM
robin22gongon

Quote:
It happens when I load a clean pokemon rom into A-Text as well so i don't think that's really the issue for me....
Pretty much after I load A-Text, the window on the right loads with those weird symbols whenever I load a text. I seriously don't get this....
Well what offset did you load? It could help by writing those down here. All hex has equivalent values.
Old April 27th, 2013, 10:39 PM
HidoranBlaze

Quote:
Well what offset did you load? It could help by writing those down here. All hex has equivalent values.
The text offset (Hex) is 2C897B, according to A-Text
and i'm trying to hack Pokemon Emerald.

Last edited by HidoranBlaze; April 27th, 2013 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old April 27th, 2013, 11:00 PM
robin22gongon

Quote:
The text offset (Hex) is 2C897B, according to A-Text
and i'm trying to hack Pokemon Emerald.
I don't know why but it's perfectly fine for me. Have you made progress with your hack? If yes, I'm sorry but you'll have to restart your Hack from scratch again.
Old April 27th, 2013, 11:19 PM
LaDestitute
Razor Sharp

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaDestitute View Post
I've run into an issue with trying to change Professor Oak's sprite in the intro using unLZGBA. I've followed the correct steps word for word, and my rom booted up fine so I did everything right, I believe. Yet, when I start a new game on VBA, the sprite hasn't changed period and yet when I go back into unLZGBA, the sprite is indeed different.
On second thought, I've run into a new problem.
Now, I tried indexing the image over and over again using IrfanView, but each time I load the indexed image into unLZGBA, it tells me the image ISN'T INDEXED.

I don't get if...If I'm doing everything right to index the sprite, why is unLZGBA telling me this?

Edit:
I've figured out a lot more with what's going. Apparently, dragging my clean sprite over the indexed version to clean it up screws it and makes un-indexed somehow. I'm able to export the sprite ig I don't clean it up, but the sprite is all pixely, and the changes don't happen with the rom when I load it into VBA.

Also, if I do load the edited sprite into unLZGBA, export it and then switch to a different image and back to Oak...image is Oak again.

Edit 2:
Fixed the indexing problem and managed to successfully replace Oak's sprite...except, when I boot up the rom, he's still...Oak. Damn it. Even unLZGBA reverts after I exit or exit and return.

Last edited by LaDestitute; April 28th, 2013 at 03:34 AM.
Old April 28th, 2013, 12:34 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:
Code:
if (genderRatio != 0xFF)
{
    if ((PID & 0xFF) < genderRatio)
    {
        return female;
    }
    else
    {
        return male;
    }
}
else
{
    return genderless;
}
That's how gender is calculated in the Gen 3 games. When you use actual ASM to implement such checks, it is sadly very clunky and long winded.

Sponsored Links