The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fourth Generation

Notices

Fourth Generation Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum kicked off the fourth generation of Pokémon. Two years later, fans of the Johto region were treated to a remastered adventure in HeartGold & SoulSilver. Discuss the games, explore the features, share your experiences, and help other players out!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 19th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Cassiopeiia
Floating

Nature: Bashful
Yeah, that's the obvious downside with Magikarp. You could work around this however, simply by not capturing a Magikarp lower than Lv. 19. Relatively early in the game, at Route 209, you get the Good Rod, capable of capturing Magikarp as high as lv. 25.
Old April 19th, 2013, 11:47 AM
Rickfields
Togepi

He's always a staple in my early parties. Just grind early on with him, switching magikarp out. The patience brings a nice reward.
Old April 19th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Cooltrainer Ashley Rose
Booted out - don't be like me!

Location: Don't die. You might get AFTERLIFE>...<3 Ashley Rose Kristiine.
Nature: Careful
Yes, and if you wanted to, you could've just used Exp. Share on it, and get it to a high level. I got Gyarados to level 100, but you could wait til a later game to get it a high level so it can learn better moves along the way.
Old April 19th, 2013, 02:14 PM
Shadowraze
Love and Peace

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Shadowraze
Yes, I always use Gyarados as my Water type. I just use a Exp.Share or give it to the daycare when training it since it's quite troublesome to train as it only learns splash tackle and flail. :3
Old April 19th, 2013, 03:35 PM
~RNC~
Mother Of All Pokemon!!

Nature: Quirky
Ok I'm trying to get a houndour with the egg move sucker punch, I have a male rattata with that move and a female hondour in the DC but the the hatched egg is not picking up the move, why?
My Thread Review ---> HERE
Old April 19th, 2013, 04:26 PM
Aslan
the pretender

Nature: Relaxed
I wasn't ever particularly good with knowing what to do when breeding, but after looking around a little I've figured out the problem. Houndour can get the Egg Move Sucker Punch in only Gen V, not Gen IV. In Gen IV it can't so that's why you're not getting Sucker Punch even though you're doing the breeding egg move method right. However, Houndour can still learn Sucker Punch from a Move Tutor in Gen IV, so you can always go to the Move Tutor as well and learn it! :)

i'd rather be anything but ordinary, please.
Old April 19th, 2013, 04:31 PM
~RNC~
Mother Of All Pokemon!!

Where is the move tutor? I still have the 2 in the DC but will breed on my 5th gen. game no matter.
Old April 19th, 2013, 04:40 PM
Aslan
the pretender

You can find the Move Tutor who teaches Sucker Punch on Route 212 in Platinum exclusively! In D/P however if you go to the same location you'll just find a lady who used to work in the Weather Institute in Hoenn. The Move Tutor will teach you moves for shards and yeah, hope this helped! :>

Old April 19th, 2013, 06:03 PM
curiousnathan
they said we could be anything

Moving to the 4th Gen Help Thread. Simple questions belong in that thread, so please post any future questions there.

[ Moved ]
Old April 19th, 2013, 06:24 PM
~RNC~
Mother Of All Pokemon!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious. View Post
Moving to the 4th Gen Help Thread. Simple questions belong in that thread, so please post any future questions there.

[ Moved ]
Sorry Curious, I clicked the 4th gen. help link at the top of the page, if this needed to be moved you may need to check into that and delete this post.
Old April 19th, 2013, 08:33 PM
Jak
mother of challenges

Nature: Timid
Probably a dumb question, but did you make sure Sucker Punch is an egg move for Houndour in DP? I know some games vary with the egg moves.
Old April 19th, 2013, 08:39 PM
Hikamaru
it's too cold for you here
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydian View Post
Probably a dumb question, but did you make sure Sucker Punch is an egg move for Houndour in DP? I know some games vary with the egg moves.
Sucker Punch can only be bred onto Houndour in the 5th Generation games. Just confirming this.

I do know that 4th Generation has differences with available egg moves between games, an example being Head Smash bred onto the Nidoran♂ line in HG/SS but not D/P/Pt. You can always check Bulbapedia or Serebii (and similar online Pokedexes) to see what moves they can learn through breeding.

Paired with AWsquared, Isaac and Starry Windy
Battle Server | Tumblr | TWL | Profile | Supporter

Old April 22nd, 2013, 06:18 AM
Isaac
Ahola Bith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydian View Post
Not reaaally sure, but i'll try to help you.

Yes, Sucker Punch is an egg move for Houndour in DP I think, he can learn Sucker Punch by breeding it.

EDIT: Just browsed to make sure, here is something I found on a source:

Quote:
To teach Houndour, Sucker Punch, you'll need to breed it with any Pokemon in the Field group.
So yeah, Houndour can learn Sucker Punch as an egg move.

Theme | Pairs | PC Battle Server
Old April 22nd, 2013, 01:19 PM
Jak
mother of challenges

Quote:
Not reaaally sure, but i'll try to help you.
I wasn't asking the question, lmao. But as this is the 4th Gen Help Thread, upon further inspection, as Hikari already pointed out, Sucker Punch is not an egg move for Houndour until gen V. So RNC isn't going to be able to breed it on in this gen.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 02:22 PM
PrimalDialgasaur
Primal Sauropod

Ok, I'm at the Elite Four, and I'm in a bit of a pickle. The problem is I can never get close to winning. The closest I got was beating Lance's Aerodactyl and Gyarados, but failing at his first Dragonite. (If you haven't realized which game, it's SS) my team as of now:

Gyarados: lvl 40

Waterfall
Thunder
Blizzard
Surf

Ninetales: lvl 39

Flamethrower
Payback
Confuse Ray
Fire Blast

Mamoswine: lvl 39

Earthquake
Blizzard
Strength
Light Screen

Meganium: lvl 40

Petal Dance
Frenzy Plant
Light Screen
PoisonPowder

Pidgeot: lvl 40

Quick Attack
Wing Attack
Fly
Agility

Lugia: lvl 47

Extrasensory
Aeroblast
Rain Dance
Thunder

Any suggestions/good training grounds/battle strategies?
Old April 22nd, 2013, 03:26 PM
Aslan
the pretender

I can still be of some help! Looking at your Pokemon, movesets and levels I'd say they should do perfectly well against Lance. I think it's just that we need to focus on strategy, some of your moves are risky but they pack a powerful punch. So you managed to get past Gyarados yes? All you should of done is a quick Thunder and then bam Gyarados is down. So I guess the problem here is the Dragonites. Let's take a look at weaknesses. Dragonite has two 4x weaknesses. Ice and Rock.

Blizzard is by far the most powerful ice-move in Gen IV, but the 70% accuracy would be hard to work with. However if you manage to hit with Blizzard, I'm sure it'll at least take a huge chunk out of its HP. And I guess if you forget to heal while you're battling, it's also rather difficult so remember to heal often when your Pokemon reach in the low yellow zone or you know the next move is going to KO you if you don't do something.

Other than that I'd say good training areas before the E4, is probably only Victory Road. There are no trainers blocking your path so you can train to your heart's content. It takes a while but it's worth it. However you can also do this if you don't mind losing money, just keep beating the E4 and then lose to one of them so you can start again, over and over. However if you lose on the last E4 purposely, you'll still have money from the other three, if you know what I mean. But yeah I hope this helped. n__n

Old April 22nd, 2013, 09:42 PM
curiousnathan
they said we could be anything

PrimalDialgasaur, just for future reference, I'd suggest using the In-Game Team Help section to post requests for help such as yours. If you've got an incomplete team you'd like to get feedback on, here is the best place to post it.

Thanks!
Old April 23rd, 2013, 08:25 AM
PrimalDialgasaur
Primal Sauropod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious. View Post
PrimalDialgasaur, just for future reference, I'd suggest using the In-Game Team Help section to post requests for help such as yours. If you've got an incomplete team you'd like to get feedback on, here is the best place to post it.

Thanks!
I wasn't asking for team help, I was listing my team for reference so they now who I have. I was asking for suggestions like who to use against the Elite Four, who I need to level up, etc. I put this in the help thread because I need help getting past the Champion and Elite Four, not building a team.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 08:33 AM
Jak
mother of challenges

Quote:
I wasn't asking for team help, I was listing my team for reference so they now who I have. I was asking for suggestions like who to use against the Elite Four, who I need to level up, etc. I put this in the help thread because I need help getting past the Champion and Elite Four, not building a team.
That's still considered team help, which they will help you with in the forum that Curious linked you to. Anything that involves helping adjust a team, whether it be party members, movesets, or who to use for the E4, it belongs in in-game team help. :)
Old April 24th, 2013, 04:14 PM
ISNorden
Teddiursa

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Yahoo to ISNorden
I'm somewhere southeast of Stark Mountain in the Platinum game (just beyond the Rt.226/228 exit, several bike bridges, and a trainer duo). Does anyone else know how to reach the berry patch in the screenshot I've included? Please help it you can!
Attached Images
File Type: png stark-mtn_berry-patch.png‎ (27.6 KB, 4 views) (Save to Dropbox)

" Coming this fall to Jubilife TV: Lost Beyond Space!"
Old April 24th, 2013, 04:16 PM
~RNC~
Mother Of All Pokemon!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISNorden View Post
I'm somewhere southeast of Stark Mountain in the Platinum game (just beyond the Rt.226/228 exit, several bike bridges, and a trainer duo). Does anyone else know how to reach the berry patch in the screenshot I've included? Please help it you can!
You have to use your bicycle to get up there.
Old April 24th, 2013, 07:21 PM
ISNorden
Teddiursa

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Yahoo to ISNorden
That much I could figure out from the log bridges; but my bike rolls back down every time I try to take one of the ramps uphill. Am I using the wrong gear, or doing something else wrong I don't know about? (I'm playing on an emulator instead of a console, so pressing two keys at once is a bit harder...)

" Coming this fall to Jubilife TV: Lost Beyond Space!"
Old April 24th, 2013, 07:54 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISNorden View Post
That much I could figure out from the log bridges; but my bike rolls back down every time I try to take one of the ramps uphill. Am I using the wrong gear, or doing something else wrong I don't know about? (I'm playing on an emulator instead of a console, so pressing two keys at once is a bit harder...)
You have to be in the faster gear and get a run up.
Old April 29th, 2013, 04:15 PM
⊗Slenderman⊗
[Left PC]
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Quick question involving the GTS.

I tried to clone a Ponyta yesterday using the GTS. It seemingly worked- but when I checked the summary (to get the clone), it was messed up. Instead of explaining, I'll just post a picture:
(Kind of large. Sorry.)
Spoiler:

The original was English and shiny. I still have the original one, so I'm not worried about that. But now when I try to get into the GTS to get that Ponyta, there is a communication error (sometimes showing up once I'm connected)...or they just disconnect me while I'm trying to get in. (It loads like it's connecting, but the message says "You have been disconnected..."

Any ideas as to what's going on and how I can fix it? I don't have an AR for cloning, so this is my only option, unless I try on another game.

Edit:
@RNC
(I don't want to fill the thread up by posting more)
I'm pretty sure the cloning thread is solely for offering services and finding people to clone for you, isn't it? Unless that's what you mean. I might have to do that, if I can't fix this.
(Copy/paste the above into your browser)

Last edited by ⊗Slenderman⊗; April 29th, 2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old April 29th, 2013, 04:19 PM
~RNC~
Mother Of All Pokemon!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ⊗Slenderman⊗ View Post
Quick question involving the GTS.

I tried to clone a Ponyta yesterday using the GTS. It seemingly worked- but when I checked the summary (to get the clone), it was messed up. Instead of explaining, I'll just post a picture:
(Kind of large. Sorry.)
Spoiler:

The original was English and shiny. I still have the original one, so I'm not worried about that. But now when I try to get into the GTS to get that Ponyta, there is a communication error (sometimes showing up once I'm connected)...or they just disconnect me while I'm trying to get in. (It loads like it's connecting, but the message says "You have been disconnected..."

Any ideas as to what's going on and how I can fix it? I don't have an AR for cloning, so this is my only option, unless I try on another game.
I used to GTS clone but it's been a long time, but I have never seen that before, why didn't you just ask for help in the cloning thread?
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links