• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

What influences your team more? Favorites or Power?

Years
  • Seen May 19, 2016
Favourites. Karen of the Johto E4 said that the difference between strong and weak trainers was about using favourites. She's right.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
I go by stats and movepools. However, if I really hate the Pokemon, I'm not going to let it in my team. x;

Years
  • Seen Jun 1, 2020
I'd never use a Pokemon that I don't like. The ones that I do like have pretty good stats overall.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
I used to just use all the ones that are considered strong, like Dragonite, Garchomp, Metagross, and others. Now I just use the ones I like, and haven't really thought of using on a team. If it looks cool to me, I'll try using it. I don't care for stats much anymore. For example, I'm using a Seviper for the first time on my Black 2, which isn't exactly considered powerful.

Clairvoyance_

Arcanine
Years
Favorites, definitely.
I know this sounds kind of sappy, but when I play Pokemon, I get super into it, and form "bonds" with them, almost as if I were in the game.
So I wouldn't want to just use a Pokemon just for its power...ja feel?

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
Trainers, Rivals, Antagonists, Gym Leaders and Elite Four Members and Champions.

My team is always forged around what will beat the above in a simple manner. For example, in 4th Gen, my team was always built like that or in some similar variation.

1. Piplup/Turtwig (For Roark/Roark's dad)
2. Geodude (For Volkner)
3. Starly (For Gardenia)
4. Shinx (For Gyarados users)
5. Budew (For Wake)
6. Sneasel (Dragon types)

You see?

Schwan

Frontier Brain
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 2, 2016
Favourites and it's not even close. Often times I actually tend to dislike strong Pokemon such as Dragonite, Salamence, Metagross, Garchomp, although I will always have a soft spot for T-Tar. He just looks so sick.

Clacla

karp karp karp
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Mar 15, 2017
I always have my team decided before I play the game. I choose my Pokémon based on favorites, and advantages/disadvantages. I like to keep a balance when it comes to typing, so I stick to one of each type, and two if I have to. (Like using Lucario and Breloom)

Years
All of my favourites tend to be powerful. Except for Dragonite and Salamence, I think they're kinda soft-looking.

Years
Mostly favorites, but sometimes I mix up my favorites and the really powerful ones. Having some balance is a good thing for me.

Years
  • Seen Aug 20, 2013
Favorites are often powerful, for me anyway.

There are obvious exceptions. I think T-tar looks dumb, so I never use that, same goes for Garchomp - I'd much rather use Haxorus.

Years
I usually play with my favorite Pokemon, although I try to find a balance between power and favorites. Most of my favorites actually have decent (and sometimes exceptional) base stats anyway, i.e. Hydreigon, Dragonite, Kingdra (gee, Dragons, go figure). Some are just kinda cool (to me anyway) such as Roserade, Luxray, Galvantula, Sceptile, Mightyena, Lucario, and Manectric.

I find that when I play with Pokemon I hate, I can't do nearly as well as if I had favorites.

Anszkz.DkLt

The Semi-Newb
Years
Well my faves have always been fire-types and since most, if not all, fire-types have got good stats, powerful movesets, and awesome designs.. With that out of the way, I can cheerily say that I choose favorites..

"Wooh! Favoritism for the win!" ;)

Years
Favorites! Usually I'll try to raise even the Pokemon that are really weak if I actually like them. A balance of favorite and power is always nice, but I still go for favorites above anything else.

Back