Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Official Forums > Community Feedback and Support
Notices

Community Feedback and Support This is the place for your concerns, praises or help relating to the PokéCommunity. Unsure of how to post a thread (though you should find out pretty quickly)? How do you get a blog? Maybe you don’t like a certain feature. Make a thread here and get responses from your fellow members and staff.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 30th, 2013, 07:52 PM
Patchisou Yutohru
Community Supporter

Advertise here
Are getting ridiculous.

Why do they keep happening so much lately? It seems like anytime I want to come on, there's a huge downtime that prevents me from getting on.
Old April 30th, 2013, 08:34 PM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
uhhhhhhhh just dropping this here
This came up on the screen about 15 minutes ago and stayed around for about two minutes before I was allowed to go on PC, even though I was able to access it just fine a couple of minutes earlier.
Quote:
Checking your browser before accessing www.pokecommunity.com.

This process is automatic. Your browser will redirect to your requested content shortly.

Please allow up to 5 seconds...
DDoS protection by CloudFlare
I assume this isn't something I should worry about, but nevertheless...?
Old April 30th, 2013, 08:37 PM
Oryx
Of the pigeon, by the pigeon, for the pigeon
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
That showed up for me too. After waiting for like 30 seconds I just refreshed and it let me through.
Theme
Pair
VM
PM
Old April 30th, 2013, 08:37 PM
Patchisou Yutohru
Community Supporter

I had that happen to me too.

Can we get rid of this CloudFire ****?
Old April 30th, 2013, 08:43 PM
Sydian
But you're still hungry.

Nature: Timid
All in favor of booting out CloudFlare...it's annoying and I don't remember PC ever being like this prior to having it.

paired to crono
Old April 30th, 2013, 08:47 PM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter

Can someone explain to me exactly what CloudFare is? I've seen the name being thrown around and blamed for all of PC's woes, but I've never been quite sure as to what it is. Is it the server itself? The program used to run the server? RoboCop?
Old April 30th, 2013, 08:49 PM
Team Fail
The fine line between in|sanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
In relation to what Harlequin saying about that screen...

http://i.imgur.com/eRsL4Vz.png

It's DDoS protection it seems. But yeah. I think some of these downtimes are from the lovely features the staff have re-enabled. :c

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old April 30th, 2013, 09:00 PM
Rukario

Nature: Adamant
actually we were reaching (live) server capacity and things were slowing down. It seem there was some 1000+ visitors all trying to read threads at once. Cloudflare offloads a lot of the static page stuff like images, css files and javascript files to help PC with keeping server loads down and pages faster.

No CDN service can make the database or the apache webserver any faster especially when its hammered. Only time (or less traffic) can.

We upped the protection strength temporarily of cloudflare so as to help with this sudden increase in ACTIVE traffic. If you can't load the site on a thread URL, or are seeing this image http://i.imgur.com/eRsL4Vz.png it is your URL query string most likely triggering it (its looking for bad stuff that would tend to lock up the server). Try to clear cookies / cache and then try again with just the home page, then find your thread of interest.

We'll be monitoring this for the next few hours and into the week.
- Rukario -

Twinned with Jedi_Amara | Paired with Your Name Here | Lil Sis Kimi-Chan | Sig

Old May 1st, 2013, 03:53 AM
shenanigans
in rainbows

Thanks for that, Steve. Although what can actually be done to improve the speeds, barring throwing money at the server to just get more power? Is there not some way of stopping that one guest that tips it over the limit from bringing down the site for everyone? It just seems kinda weird that PC'll be running okay one minute and then get totally killed the next, I guess. Is there nothing we can disable which is causing extra, unnecessary strain to help sort it out? I certainly feel like I noticed a speed drop when the "Users Viewing Thread" thing was re-enabled for members.

...although that said, unlike you guys I've not thought it's been particularly bad lately. Not like it was a couple of weeks ago, anyway. :/
if i'd never let go
then only god knows where i would be now.
Old May 1st, 2013, 04:08 AM
Oryx
Of the pigeon, by the pigeon, for the pigeon
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
I think "lately" encompasses a couple weeks ago, tbh.

I like the idea of monitoring how many people are online - if it's more than an amount that makes it dangerous, maybe just pull the site down for a second and put up a splash screen, like Reddit does. That way we wouldn't have to go through the site being knocked down and having to get PPN to fix it, the splash would just go away once the visitor count went down.

Bonus points if the splash only shows up for guests. "PC is under heavy load right now, so guests are temporarily barred from viewing threads. Register today to have 24/7 access!"
Theme
Pair
VM
PM
Old May 2nd, 2013, 06:35 AM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
I'm wondering…maybe you could upload to a hosting website, like Amazon AWS? That way they can worry about the server traffic and stuff…
did u no there r 21 letters in the alphabet
o i forgot 5
uraqt

Old May 2nd, 2013, 07:36 AM
Adventure
do it my o w n way

Nature: Naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujours View Post
I think "lately" encompasses a couple weeks ago, tbh.

I like the idea of monitoring how many people are online - if it's more than an amount that makes it dangerous, maybe just pull the site down for a second and put up a splash screen, like Reddit does. That way we wouldn't have to go through the site being knocked down and having to get PPN to fix it, the splash would just go away once the visitor count went down.

Bonus points if the splash only shows up for guests. "PC is under heavy load right now, so guests are temporarily barred from viewing threads. Register today to have 24/7 access!"
I like this post. Not much else to say, just want to shout my approval out there.
(the "like" feature still doesn't work for me, so xD)

moderator of roleplay corner & pokémon general
proudly paired with abnegation
¤
Old May 2nd, 2013, 01:49 PM
stephastated
dumb twerp

kind of unrelated but was pc always this...slow?

i love this site but damn the time it takes to load... ;x;

M Y P O K É B R O S
Token ♂ - Kirby ♂ - Oliver ♂ - Grapejuice ♀ - Amber ♀ - Charlie ♂
Old May 2nd, 2013, 02:02 PM
wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephastated View Post
kind of unrelated but was pc always this...slow?

i love this site but damn the time it takes to load... ;x;
It used to be much, much worse in the first few years when I joined. I noticed that PC has gotten faster over time, excluding these recent downtimes. Even so, I remember there being more downtimes back then.

pc battle server • skype: awolffromspace • avatar source
Old May 2nd, 2013, 05:47 PM
Yusshin
♪ Yggdrasil ♪

Nature: Brave
Happened again lol finally got back on. So many guests ruining the members' fun. Over 1,500!

Polaret | Fourette | Ecuret | Axew | Zorua | Nanette [Shiny]
"My scar makes me sassy, child!"
The Big Bang Theory Fan Club - Click To Join!
The French Club
Old May 2nd, 2013, 06:01 PM
Hikamaru
I have not had my teeth whitened!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusshin View Post
Happened again lol finally got back on. So many guests ruining the members' fun. Over 1,500!
No wonder the site has been crashing for me so much this week. But yeah I do admit that while I love this community, the downtimes may eventually make me be on less if they keep up.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 06:07 PM
Dakota
ignore the whisper

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolflare View Post
It used to be much, much worse in the first few years when I joined. I noticed that PC has gotten faster over time, excluding these recent downtimes. Even so, I remember there being more downtimes back then.
This man speaks the truth. You think this is bad? It's not an exageration to say late 2008/early 2009 had by far the worst downtimes I've ever witnessed. What we're experiencing right now is pretty bad, but the incidence of downtimes was a lot more prevalent back then.

But yeah, that doesn't make now any less annoying. Damn guests jacking out fun. D;
Old May 3rd, 2013, 07:12 AM
derozio
Shingeki no Bahamut is awesome
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
I wasn't here in the beginning of 2009 so I can't say anything about that. But I've run into "the server is down" far too much the past few days. Dunno how it could've been worse than what it's like right now. :(
Credit // Theme // Pair // I'm a violinist.Kaori
Old May 3rd, 2013, 07:49 AM
Adventure
do it my o w n way

Nature: Naive
Ok actually, I don't experience more downtime than usual and PC is and has always been will always be? pretty slow to load for me. Maybe it's got to do with where I live (Scandinavia) though apparently you guys in America are complaining more, so maybe not :p If anything, it is as Wolflare says; it loads slightly faster now than some years ago.

moderator of roleplay corner & pokémon general
proudly paired with abnegation
¤
Old May 3rd, 2013, 06:30 PM
Zet
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Would blocking guests from viewing threads when there's lots of people online help ?
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here