• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Pokemon Colosseum:Keeping the Starters

orangeralts21

Newfound Respect for Wobbuffet
Years
Who here kept the original Espeon and Umbreon here from Pokemon Colosseum?
I Only kept my Espeon, traditionally named Vee (love red!), but easily replaced my Umbreon with the other pokemon.

Please feel free to share your opinion

My old team below is spoilered if you care enough:
Spoiler:

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I kept Espeon because Espeon is such a good addition to the team, but Umbreon wasn't that much good in Colosseum so I had to ditch him :(

They just really nerfed him in Colosseum, so that's why I didn't really use him =/

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I had both of them in my team.
Imo beside the legendaries, those Eeveelutions are the best possible additions to the team =)

I played with Espeon, Umbreon, Flygon, Entei, Raikou, Suicune.

Minato Arisato

Memento mori...
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 4, 2016
I kept them both. I liked having Espeon's sheer sweeping ability and Umbreon's tendency to confuse his opponents. I like both of them in general, actually. I'm quite fond of Eeveelutions. That, and the trainers you had to battle weren't smart enough to switch out their Pokemon when they got confused.

Golden Warrior

Pokemon Professor
Years
I left 'em both until I beat the game and traded them to other games. They were pretty strong in the end and I like them both anyway. They were good.

I think I ended up with those two, Typhlosion, and the other two starters. Quite the team! :D

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years
I used both Espeon and Umbreon throughout the entire game. I really liked using them and didn't have it in me to get rid of either.

Years
  • Seen Jul 12, 2013
I only kept the Umbreon. Meganium replaced Espeon. The way I play through Pokemon is that I choose two Pokemon and pretty much exclusively use them. I know it is dumb but it is a habit I have yet to break.

I'm going to replay Colosseum soon so we'll see if I keep using both Umbreon and Espeon.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I've always kept them both. They're both useful after all! Espeon is the hard hitter while Umbreon was great at eating hits, especially when you wanted to just snag something. And secret power tended to activate a lot for myself as well with the paralysis effect. :)

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I love both Pokemon, but I often ditch Espeon and keep Umbreon. Umbreon is my favorite Pokemon and in a game like Colosseum, I think it's important to have one or two Pokemon that can take some hits, cause it's not an easy game really. My first time through the game though, I kept both of them.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
I loved using both of them! My Espeon was named Espio and my Umbreon was named Umbrio. I had to keep them together. :P In later playthroughs, I did want to use different Pokemon. I can't really remember what Pokemon exactly I used in my first playthrough, but I did like using Ampharos and Houndoom.

Years
  • Seen May 24, 2021
Even though Umbreon is my favorite Eveelution Pokémon I just can't justify using it when it is just so pitifully weak ingame that it becomes a chore to use. So I usually keep Espeon and box Umbreon as soon as I get one of the Johto starters.

Years
  • Seen May 24, 2021
Weak? Umbreon has great defensive stats, it can easily take hits that would wipe out quite a few of the bulkier looking pokemon you would expect to be tanks.

This is why I absolutely can't stand using it, ingame battles do not favor stall. Why try to outstall something when you can just abuse the AI's stupidity and use a move that OHKO or 2HKOs something. Especially when Colosseum is already paced significantly slower than the main series games. I suppose some people might enjoy it but when it's just one trainer battle.

A lot of Pokémon I like are walls, including some that are incredibly potent in the competitive environment. But should I ever consider using them outside of some kind of battle facility, well God help me.

Chary

Yeah-Hah!
Years
I kept Umbreon as long as I could, until I just had to ditch him. In Gen III, dark-types didn't really have a chance to shine, as Faint attack and Bite are the only good STAB attacks. Espeon, I always keep to the end, since Espeon is a beast. In my first play through though, I kept Umbreon, 'cause I thought that he was so cool in the opening cutscene.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I kept Umbreon as long as I could, until I just had to ditch him. In Gen III, dark-types didn't really have a chance to shine, as Faint attack and Bite are the only good STAB attacks. Espeon, I always keep to the end, since Espeon is a beast. In my first play through though, I kept Umbreon, 'cause I thought that he was so cool in the opening cutscene.
Well... Umbreon isn't meant to be attacker anyways :D

Years
I've always kept both, apart from my very first playthrough. As a backwards kid I much preferred a Pokemon that could take hits even if it didn't deal them so well, so I kepy Umbreon but I ditched Espeon. I also used Feraligatr and traded over an Aggron.
Since then I have played through the game with both, a lot of times using the three dogs as well.

Sirfetch’d

I kept them both my first playthrough, and then only Espeon in my other ones. I just find Umbreon a little too weak, and that game was actually tough. Both though did a good job on my first time playing!

Back