The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 1st, 2013, 06:57 PM
Emfg

You might remember them, or you might not. But I certainly do.

I remember lots of rumors about the pokemon games. Rumors not necessarily about digletts nose being a mouth, or gengar being clefables shadow.

No. I'm talking stupid rumors you thought might happen in your pokemon game if you did a certain thing.

Some of the rumors my friends told me (and other kids) were that if you sat at the left side of the trade machine (this was on the gameboy, pokemon Leaf Green) frequently you would become the pokemon champion, while if you sat on the right side of the trade machine frequently you would become to owner of the museum in Pewter City.

Another one was when my friend told me you would only get a shiny pokemon after you have had played more than 400 hours. Got to about 450 hours of played time on my Leaf Green until I finally figured it out he was lying.

Mind you, these things I believed when I was about 8 years old in like 2005, without knowing of game walkthroughs on the internet, only in magazines I never had.

So, have you ever believed any in-game rumors your friends told you when you were younger? Like the ones I just mentioned? Or were you smart enough not to believe them?
Old May 1st, 2013, 07:11 PM
TheAwesomeUserName
Zombie Survivalist Expert

Nature: Modest
In Emerald, my friend told me that if you caught Rayquaza once in the Sky tower place, and exitted and went back in the Sky tower to the top, there would be a Shiny Rayquaza there. I spent countless hours trying to get to the top. I finally did it, but there was not a Rayquaza there. This was about 5 years ago and I was 9, but I still hate him. He lied to my face!!!
Old May 2nd, 2013, 02:56 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
In Pokemon Sapphire my friend told me that a Bad Egg hatches into an Deoxys. So I bought an AR trying to get an Bad Egg for Deoxys. After trying to hatch it I realised he lied to me.

But luckly My game was not broken.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 07:27 AM
LilJz
Make me your Aphrodite
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
My friends told me that if you hold down A and B, your canhces of catching a Pokemon would be better. I knew it wasn't real but he told me it was 100% legit. I was like, what..?
Old May 2nd, 2013, 07:58 AM
Nuke

Nature: Relaxed
Despite there being a large group of people who played Pokemon on my street when I was younger, I think the only rumour told was the 'Truck Glitch' which would let you catch Mew on R/B/Y.

X + Y - 4914-3466-1264
Old May 2nd, 2013, 09:08 AM
Jak
baby smod

Nature: Timid
The biggest rumor for RSE was probably that Deoxys Space Center thing. If there was a certain number of launches, they would let you go into space to fight Deoxys. The weird thing is, some time last year, someone actually was still attempting that and asked a question about it in the Adv Gen Q&A. Bless their heart.

POPWAR'S BUNNY
get on baboon's level ho
Old May 2nd, 2013, 10:12 AM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

I still believe the A+B catch trick. I mash them every time I throw a pokeball.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 10:59 AM
Gengar's Shadow

Nature: Calm
The Mew under the truck in RBY and Deoxys on the moon in RSE. I think it was after 99 launches.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 12:16 PM
mozartm99

Nature: Lax
This wasn't when I was young it was actually quite recent. One of my friends told me that if you played any pokemon game as a girl your xp went up faster. I never really believed him.
Friendship dies and true love lies
Night will fall and dark will rise
when a good man goes to war
Demons run, but count the cost
the battle's won, but the child is lost.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 12:17 PM
BraveNewWorld
The Breaker

Nature: Adamant
I remember the rumor about Charizard's evolution, Charicoal. I was told about it in either Gen 1 or 2
Old May 3rd, 2013, 03:10 PM
Anszkz.DkLt
The Semi-Newb

Nature: Brave
A rumor that I believed and followed to the letter was something about the Space Center but that was back when I was 10 and didn't know how to harness the power of the mighty "Internetz"

Current Challenges
  • Hunger Games Challenge - District 12 - Emerald (0/8)
Old May 4th, 2013, 12:23 AM
Brendino
Hold your breath. Make a wish. Count to three.

The two rumors that always stuck out to me were being able to get to space from Mossdeep after 100 successful launches, and the variations of holding down a button to increase the chances of catching a Pokemon. To this day I still press Up+B when a Poke Ball opens, but it's moreso a habit at this point than anything.

The only rumor that someone actually told me recently came from a cousin in my extended family- it was that you could ring the bell at the top of Bell Tower three times, and Rayquaza would appear. I never put any stock into this, since he was adamant that it was done in HG/SS, even though I knew he was confusing this with the Celestial Tower in Unova. Nonetheless, I did try it on my White a few days later, and wasn't shocked when nothing happened.
Old May 4th, 2013, 06:27 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
I believed the button-combo rumor from a tae kwon do mate; I held down the A and B buttons as the ball flew, let go of A as the ball opened, then mashed the D-pad as the ball shook.

Old May 4th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Kouzan
It's another wolf bite.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Kouzan
The one that comes to mind for me is the Space Center one where after a certain number of launches, they let you go into space and capture Deoxys. I legitimately believed at 12 years old that's how you were supposed to catch Deoxys and I thought they would take me. :C

Other than that, probably the A+B trick that supposedly made the Pokemon catch faster. I used to smash the A+B buttons everytime I caught a Pokemon. A recent one I heard is that if you say "Gotcha!" into your DS while catching a Pokemon, it increases the chance of capture. I tried it and it didn't work.

Mega Sceptile and Treecko for life yo.
DeviantArt |Tumblr | Art Gallery| Ask Me Stuff |Paired to | Avatar source:[x]
Old May 4th, 2013, 09:32 PM
Demon Days
Element of Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendino View Post
The two rumors that always stuck out to me were being able to get to space from Mossdeep after 100 successful launches, and the variations of holding down a button to increase the chances of catching a Pokemon. To this day I still press Up+B when a Poke Ball opens, but it's moreso a habit at this point than anything.

The only rumor that someone actually told me recently came from a cousin in my extended family- it was that you could ring the bell at the top of Bell Tower three times, and Rayquaza would appear. I never put any stock into this, since he was adamant that it was done in HG/SS, even though I knew he was confusing this with the Celestial Tower in Unova. Nonetheless, I did try it on my White a few days later, and wasn't shocked when nothing happened.
Apparently there's a video on YouTube that shows you the Celestial Tower. Presumably, it's a ROM hack.
Anyway, I only ever believed the Mossdeep Space Center rumours, back when I was new to the internet and thought everything was legit. Ah, naivety.

Old May 5th, 2013, 03:51 AM
Aurora
stick it in ze boot

Nature: Mild
Send a message via Skype™ to Aurora
I was told back in Year 4 that, should I press the A button five times in quick succession after throwing a Poke Ball, my chances of catching a Pokemon would rise significantly. I believed them until Year 6, where I discovered to my horror that that "trick" was nothing more than a myth; a fraud. I was very unimpressed, as I had gained blisters on my thumbs numerous times from doing this when attempting to catch legendary Pokemon.

server modblogmy lovely pair <3twitterfighting for social justice • skype me: auroracr9826
Old May 5th, 2013, 06:21 PM
lmcde22

I was told that if you press A at exactly the same time that the pokeball shakes when catching pokemon it was impossible for them to escape...

i believed that for like a year then i realised i was duped. but i still do it from habit...
Old May 5th, 2013, 08:05 PM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I was once told pressing certain buttons increased the chance of a successful catch, I was so wrong in the end lol.

Paired with Kouzan, Isaac and Heartouch
Battle Server | Tumblr | Profile | Supporter

Old May 5th, 2013, 09:30 PM
voltianqueen
WITH SEAWATER

In 6th grade, my best friend (though at the time we had just met) told me that if you pressed Down+B right as the Pokeball opened, it would basically work like a Master Ball. It didn't work -.-

Another one was from around 9 years old, when my cousin told me that if you tapped A quickly during the Pokemon attack animation on Pokemon Stadium that it would increase the damage. I still do it out of habit!
Old May 6th, 2013, 01:25 AM
Sanguine
À la rentrée!
Community Supporter

I'm ashamed to admit this.
When I was 10, I was duped by my sister into believing that if you released your starter, saved and restarted, there would be a shiny Mewtwo in the PC.
Old May 6th, 2013, 05:28 AM
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter Tier 3

Send a message via Skype™ to Zorogami
I think we have all been told an endless numbers of "pokemon cheats" over the years.
The one with Mew under the truck at the SS Anne port is the most famous one i guess, but i also remember friends teaching me these buttton combos to catch any pokemon with any pokeball, or having to hold B to decrease any damage you take. I actually still do hold B when being attacked out of habit.

~ Anything for my Nakama ~
Old May 14th, 2013, 12:07 PM
deftrance
Unhatched Egg

The truck-trick with mew in R/B/Y... also, alternating hitting A and B when the Pokeball was rocking back and forth. Insta-catch, right?
Old May 14th, 2013, 02:02 PM
SaniOKh
The Cynical Completionist

Nature: Lonely
Back when I was playing Gen 1 for the first time, someone told me that if I level up my Pikachu to level 100 and show it to the father of the girl who wants a Pikachu in the Pewter museum, he would give me Mew... to my defense, I did it not because I was gullible, but because I wanted to prove the guy who told me this wrong .

I remember there were other rumors that involved leveling up a certain Pokémon to the level 100 and speaking to a particular person... I tried two or three more, then gave up. To me, these were the worst :D .
Old May 14th, 2013, 02:05 PM
WooliestSteam
A Little Wooly Piece of Steam
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Back in Pokemon Silver, one of my friends told me I had to use earthquake to collapse Ice Path clearing the way and allowing me to stroll on out of the cave ..... and I actually tried it. :L

also @deftrance, That A+B button combo was a insta-catch for sure! xD
Old May 19th, 2013, 11:54 PM
Deathbot
Chicken Apocalypse Survivor

Nature: Gentle
I was told that Rayquaza has such strong power that it would use outrage inside a masterball and break out of it. I honestly think my 13 year old friend (at the time) believed this.

“ 'A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies,' said Jojen. 'The man who never reads lives only one.' ”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links