• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Has anyone here beat the whole game...

Years
Didn't it ever become boring to you? I mean, so awesome Pokemon to battle with and train...and you are traveling around the awesome game and wolrd with that...grass...bug(?). I mean, not judging, just wondering :)

Stormborn

Indecisive
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 26, 2013
I did once as a challenge.

Think it was a Blastoise in Blue, that was boring as hell now that I look back at it.

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2013
I pretty much went the whole game only using Charizard on Pokemon Red one time but that was when I was young and didn't really understand that training multiple Pokemon would be useful.

When I look back it just made the game so boring and mean that I needed plenty of Ethers for times when moves ran out. I would always probably have a low level diglet for cut a mid level pideotto for flying and a Snorlax for surfing/whirlpool/waterfall.

Years
I once beat HeartGold with a Feraligator. I didn't really mean for it to happen at first, but I HAD to get my Croconaw to evolve in order to beat that stupid Miltank! So I swept through the game.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
My first playthroughs of Pokemon Blue I only used Blastoise. Also my first playthrough of Gold I used one of the starters, I think.

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
That never happened to me. It'd be boring and too difficult. I may have focused training on one pokemon but never used only one to beat the game.
I don't see the appeal in it.

GrayJM9

Playing White 2
Years
  • Seen May 14, 2013
I once beat HeartGold with a Feraligator. I didn't really mean for it to happen at first, but I HAD to get my Croconaw to evolve in order to beat that stupid Miltank! So I swept through the game.
I think it was easy to beat miltank. I had no problem beating it on Gold/Heart Gold but I guess thats because I train til' I get bored before facing gym leaders. To answer the question, I used to only train one pokemon each playthrough but I can't remember which pokemon I beat the game with..

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years
I have never tried that, but I don't think I ever will. I love catching and training different pokemon. It is what makes the games fun in my opinion.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
My brother used to do this with his starter (when he played wayyy back with Pokemon Blue). He'd level his Blastoise to like, 75 and beat the Elite Four using just it.

I thought it was a bad play style. It made me feel bad for the other Pokemon in his party. They were never loved :(

Emfg

Ohlong
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jul 8, 2023
I ran through pokemon Black with that fiery gorilla, the one which also has a psychic form if you catch it in the desserts, which was really easy. Also beat pokemon Black with the fire starter only once. After that I also solod the game with just Serperior.

If I may gave you one advice. Do. Not. Ever. Try to beat the game with just a Serperior. You want to know the playstyle? Leech Seed Giga Drain spam. Takes about 2-5 turns PER POKEMON. My serperior is lvl 81 atm and it still took me TWO turns to defeat a lvl 50 pokemon.

Seriously. Dont.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I've never done a solo run. If I were to do one though, I would go with Umbreon.

Years
I'm sure I could, but I've never really found the appeal (outside of challenges) of using just one Pokemon for the entire game. I have gone through the Elite Four with just a single Pokemon on a number of occassions, though.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I think one of the many, many times I restarted Pokemon Gold I ended up going through the entire game with just a Typhlosion. It made training ridiculously easy, but was still quite a challenge due to its limited movepool. TMs were a godsend in that regard: especially things like Thunderpunch and Earthquake.

Obviously I had HM slaves to get through the many obstacles littered through the game, but one can't beat it with just one Pokemon if you don't count the HM slaves so... yeah.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I did a challenge run once, where I had to use only Pokemon based on their color. So I took Venusaur, until I completely forgot about Scyther. My Venusaur was already around level 60-ish~ by the time I caught the Scyther.

Back