The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 2nd, 2013, 07:57 PM
kearnseyboy6
Aussie's Toughest Mudder

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
1) This page ( http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=239025 ) describes how the colors are distributed to different over world sprites.

Now, to change these colors, it is actually pretty simple. All of the text colors are contained withen the same palette as the overworld text box. So, if you can find that, then you can edit it. If you can't find it (please actually give it a try, we have too many lazy people here) just post again and I will help you.

2) You are limited to the amount of colors, but by changing the colors in the tut, then you create your own set of text colors.
Hey, sorry I have been staring at this for days and changing some values in the offset 0x464300 but seem to be getting no where... I'm sorry to ask but I can't find the data. I know they are 4-bit entries for an overworld but I can't see the slightest resemblence in similar overworlds or even search a colour. Eg the red is FF0000 I assumed?
Old May 2nd, 2013, 10:13 PM
miksy91
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by kearnseyboy6 View Post
Hey, sorry I have been staring at this for days and changing some values in the offset 0x464300 but seem to be getting no where... I'm sorry to ask but I can't find the data. I know they are 4-bit entries for an overworld but I can't see the slightest resemblence in similar overworlds or even search a colour. Eg the red is FF0000 I assumed?
The color system is 24-bit, right?
In that case, if every entry there is only of four bits, the entries can have all the values between 0 and F, and sounds like they could instead work as palette pointers instead of actual palettes. If there are 16 different memory slots reserved for palettes in total, this is probably how it works out.

If you want to find the palettes these refer to, use a debugger and set a breakpoint to the "table pointer" and follow the code from there.

Hacks I support

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
Old May 2nd, 2013, 10:50 PM
kearnseyboy6
Aussie's Toughest Mudder

Quote:
Originally Posted by miksy91 View Post
The color system is 24-bit, right?
In that case, if every entry there is only of four bits, the entries can have all the values between 0 and F, and sounds like they could instead work as palette pointers instead of actual palettes. If there are 16 different memory slots reserved for palettes in total, this is probably how it works out.

If you want to find the palettes these refer to, use a debugger and set a breakpoint to the "table pointer" and follow the code from there.
Aah, I am so far off the mark from where I'm at. Are there any good tutorials on how to set breakpoints? Even the table I'm looking in, the pointers I'm finding are not pallette pointers.

Thanks though, I'm sure if was smarter I would get this haha.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 02:43 AM
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by kearnseyboy6 View Post
Aah, I am so far off the mark from where I'm at. Are there any good tutorials on how to set breakpoints? Even the table I'm looking in, the pointers I'm finding are not pallette pointers.

Thanks though, I'm sure if was smarter I would get this haha.
The color system is much different. It isn't reading actual colors, but more, it is reading what slot in the palette the color is in. Take a look:

FF 00 00 is 3 bytes.

There are 8 bits is one byte.

So, to break those numbers up into groups of 4 bits:

F F 0 0 0 0

Understand?

So, I don't understand exactly how it corelates to each slot in the palette, but the first "F" goes with sprite 0, the second "F" goes with sprite 1, the third number (0) goes with sprite 2, the next with sprite 3, etc. This should be enough info to get you to play around with it. Try looking at a boy's sprite in the table and then a girl's and see how they are different.

Paired with Simba
Old May 3rd, 2013, 03:22 AM
Gyrath
Pokemon Lurid Creator

I'm using a rom base and I constantly keep encountering this error and have tried fixing it multiple times.
Does anyone know a soloution?
gyrath.deviantart(.)com/art/House-bug-369371065?q=gallery%3Agyrath&qo=0
Old May 3rd, 2013, 03:47 AM
Lightpost
Unhatched Egg

Hi!

I've already been into Hex Editing for editing texts and a few textures for a PSP game but that was 3 or 4 years ago... I decided to start all over learning it again but decided to change the sprites and some images for Pokemon Crystal and found out that getting back to hacking isn't much like riding the bicycle again after a long time of not riding one...

I've managed to edit a couple of sprites and some tiles but what I'm trying to edit now is the Frames. I found (I think) the location of the Type 1 Frame in the ROM (using Tile Layer Pro) but for some reason, when I play the game, it's still the same as it was before. Opening the ROM again in TLP shows that it's already been edited. I'm sure (well, I believe I am) that it is indeed the right sprite/tile to edit as I've followed the "Textbox Editing" Tutorial to find the things I want to change.

I hope somebody can share and help me out. Thanks!
Old May 3rd, 2013, 03:52 AM
karatekid552

Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrath View Post
I'm using a rom base and I constantly keep encountering this error and have tried fixing it multiple times.
Does anyone know a soloution?
gyrath.deviantart(.)com/art/House-bug-369371065?q=gallery%3Agyrath&qo=0
I see that the tiles are not in the right position. Could you elaborate more on when it occurs and if it looks the same in A-map?

Paired with Simba
Old May 3rd, 2013, 04:05 AM
Gyrath
Pokemon Lurid Creator

Quote:
I see that the tiles are not in the right position. Could you elaborate more on when it occurs and if it looks the same in A-map?
Ok, time to elaborate. I'm using Punkrocker's Rom-base
pokecommunity(.)com/showpost.php?p=4156287&postcount=146

In A-Map everything looks normal, fine, perfect. Tiles are stunning.. Let's load it with VBA and give it a try!
1. The first screenshot you see is when im leaving the house but have not yet actually opened the door.
2. When I do open the door, basically all the bottom tiles of the house suddenly become frozen door animations (or atleast that's what it looks like to me).

If you want to get the full idea, download the rom-base with the link i supplied.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 04:57 AM
Banjora Marxvile
Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Ok, time to elaborate. I'm using Punkrocker's Rom-base
pokecommunity(.)com/showpost.php?p=4156287&postcount=146

In A-Map everything looks normal, fine, perfect. Tiles are stunning.. Let's load it with VBA and give it a try!
1. The first screenshot you see is when im leaving the house but have not yet actually opened the door.
2. When I do open the door, basically all the bottom tiles of the house suddenly become frozen door animations (or atleast that's what it looks like to me).

If you want to get the full idea, download the rom-base with the link i supplied.
It is because of the inserted tiles. When they were placed into the Tileset by the inserter, some parts of the tileset appear to be blank but at the bottom of each tileset, there is a blank bit which is set for the animations of doors as such. These blank areas now contain the bottom of the houses, and so the frames of animation appears when doors are opened.

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
Numb for pretentious pain
As he spins the wheel
There's no loss nor no gain...

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
Like Campari and Champagne
I'm on the rocks
Please tell me, What Is My Name?

Old May 3rd, 2013, 05:12 AM
kearnseyboy6
Aussie's Toughest Mudder

Quote:
The color system is much different. It isn't reading actual colors, but more, it is reading what slot in the palette the color is in. Take a look:

FF 00 00 is 3 bytes.

There are 8 bits is one byte.

So, to break those numbers up into groups of 4 bits:

F F 0 0 0 0

Understand?

So, I don't understand exactly how it corelates to each slot in the palette, but the first "F" goes with sprite 0, the second "F" goes with sprite 1, the third number (0) goes with sprite 2, the next with sprite 3, etc. This should be enough info to get you to play around with it. Try looking at a boy's sprite in the table and then a girl's and see how they are different.
THANK YOU! I can't believe I didn't know what a bit was... would have made it easier!

Anyway I played around with the area the number 0 = Boy (blue), 1 = Girl (red) and any value from 2-F was black. So I was stuck again.

I ended up searching the whole palette (found this by accident when the text doesn't change with DNS and saw only 3 palettes weren't affected) and found it at 0x471DF4 (proof I found it) and changed it from red to my colour. Now it works So thank you!!!

So RED is located at 0x471DF4
And BLUE is at 0x471DFC
Old May 3rd, 2013, 05:24 AM
Gyrath
Pokemon Lurid Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjora Marxvile View Post
It is because of the inserted tiles. When they were placed into the Tileset by the inserter, some parts of the tileset appear to be blank but at the bottom of each tileset, there is a blank bit which is set for the animations of doors as such. These blank areas now contain the bottom of the houses, and so the frames of animation appears when doors are opened.
Ok, I understand. How would I fix this?
Old May 3rd, 2013, 01:25 PM
Banjora Marxvile
Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Ok, I understand. How would I fix this?
It means reinserting the tiles into a different part of the tileset. As I've had the pleasure of seeing this ROM Base myself too, I know this is fairly difficult due to lack of space, so I have no idea how you can fix it really.

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
Numb for pretentious pain
As he spins the wheel
There's no loss nor no gain...

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
Like Campari and Champagne
I'm on the rocks
Please tell me, What Is My Name?

Old May 3rd, 2013, 05:46 PM
Gyrath
Pokemon Lurid Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjora Marxvile View Post
It means reinserting the tiles into a different part of the tileset. As I've had the pleasure of seeing this ROM Base myself too, I know this is fairly difficult due to lack of space, so I have no idea how you can fix it really.
Hmm, I'll look into it more if all goes bad then i'll switch ROM-bases. Thanks for the information.
Old May 4th, 2013, 03:46 AM
ArthurWaine
Unhatched Egg

More out of curiosity than anything else: what is it exactly that makes the ghost pokemon in pokemon tower (FR/LG) be all 'ghosty'? I've tried setting the flags associated with it (from the research/development thread I found that it was 0x037, as well as another flag that I can't remember for item pickup), but that accomplished nothing. Also, even without all those flags, simply giving the silph scope made the ghost pokemon visible. Also, there didn't seem to be any mapscripts that could possibly cause the effect, and weather, battle type, etc. also don't seem to influence this in any way. It's easy enough to find a way around this problem (simply giving the player the SS ), but again, I'm feeling curious. If anyone knows anything about this, would be great!

Arthur.
Old May 4th, 2013, 05:00 AM
LaDestitute
Razor Sharp

Nature: Calm
So, I've figured out how to work with tilesets and tileset palettes pretty much now, I've successfully replaced the default tree with my own and edited and messed around around with the greenery palette to make it a bit darker and more lush looking but I've run into a problem.

My palette is fine, but there's this ugly little thing:

How do I make it look like this?

I tried recoloring the mismatched color using palette 0 (even making it transparent by coloring it black in palette 0) but to no avail. Some attempts do nothing while some botch the color and make it look worse. I have figured out which tile it is though, and it's this one (it's edited, though to make which part is doing this clearer):
Old May 4th, 2013, 05:10 AM
Gyrath
Pokemon Lurid Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaDestitute View Post
So, I've figured out how to work with tilesets and tileset palettes pretty much now, I've successfully replaced the default tree with my own and edited and messed around around with the greenery palette to make it a bit darker and more lush looking but I've run into a problem.

I tried recoloring the mismatched color using palette 0 (even making it transparent by coloring it black in palette 0) but to no avail. Some attempts do nothing while some botch the color and make it look worse. I have figured out which tile it is though, and it's this one (it's edited, though to make which part is doing this clearer):
Ok, First off you have your ground (or grass w/e you call it) colour which is in palette 0, yeah?
The ugly little thing" is in palette 11. I think palette 6 & up is originally for building but who cares.
1st things 1st is finding the "ugly little thing" colour in the palette editor (palette 11).
2nd thing is changing the RGB of the ugly thing which is by defualt 112,200,16 to your grass/ground colours which is found in palette 0.
After that, load new blocks and see if it worked, just reply if you have any more problems.
Old May 4th, 2013, 05:13 AM
Rivn
Your current user title is

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaDestitute View Post

Try to edit palette 11 instead. It should be color 14 RGB(112, 200, 160) by default. Im pretty sure you'll know how to fix it.

Damn Gyrath, ninja'd.

Last edited by Rivn; May 4th, 2013 at 05:23 AM.
Old May 4th, 2013, 05:20 AM
LaDestitute
Razor Sharp

Quote:
Ok, First off you have your ground (or grass w/e you call it) colour which is in palette 0, yeah?
The ugly little thing" is in palette 11. I think palette 6 & up is originally for building but who cares.
1st things 1st is finding the "ugly little thing" colour in the palette editor (palette 11).
2nd thing is changing the RGB of the ugly thing which is by defualt 112,200,16 to your grass/ground colours which is found in palette 0.
After that, load new blocks and see if it worked, just reply if you have any more problems.
Thanks, dude, it worked! :D
Old May 4th, 2013, 10:48 AM
Lightpost
Unhatched Egg

An hour of tinkering with Tile Layer Pro and Googling after my post yesterday, I found out that the Frames in Pokemon Crystal are in 1BPP Format and managed to change it along with the main Fonts and most of the map tiles.

Now I'm trying to change the sprites for the objects found inside buildings such as tables, tv, computer, etc. For some reason I can't find the sprites by opening VBA's Map and Tile Viewer, taking note of the address, palette, etc. Open the Memory Viewer to locate the tile's address, and search for about 5 - 6 bytes found in the address in a hex editor. It can't locate such string.

I found the tile for the bed post and managed to edit it but I can't find the rest of the tiles. I now doubt that those images are compressed but are just scattered. Let me see if Tile Molester is much better than TLP as what most people say....
Old May 4th, 2013, 12:43 PM
LaDestitute
Razor Sharp

Can someone help me with replacing the house tiles for tileset 0/1? I tried, but it's so difficult to align them correctly without fubaring it and getting some tiling error and such.
Old May 4th, 2013, 03:02 PM
GoGoJJTech
アルファ近く

Nature: Quiet
Anyone know how to add specials?
Old May 4th, 2013, 04:49 PM
Rivn
Your current user title is

Is there any way to make the doors on Emerald behave the same like the doors on FireRed do? I don't like the idea of using a two tile-height door since I can't get it to work regardless of how much effort I put in this. I am going to use mainly FR tiles for my Emerald hack, but editing the animation so that the top door tile is transparent (which in my eyes is a bad solution) doesn't work. I tried both Door Manager and a classic tile viewer in order to get a decent result - without success.

Last edited by Rivn; May 4th, 2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old May 4th, 2013, 05:26 PM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogojjtech View Post
Anyone know how to add specials?
Specials are just ASM routines. They are organized so that their pointers are all in a nice big table which is referenced by the Special commands. For example, special 0x12, will reference the 0x12th slot in that table and call the routine from there. Basically a simplified callasm command. So, if you know the location of the table (I'll give you a hint: in JPAN's first release of his hacked engine, there was a notes file........) you can fill in some of the "empty" slots (the ones with routines that do nothing but loop back to the script) and put in your own routines.

Paired with Simba
Old May 4th, 2013, 05:32 PM
TweenyTodd
Quitting cuz i got a job

Nature: Sassy
I actually have the table in my visitor messages. Ill give it to ya:
0x15FD60 is the table. Just follow what karatekid said.
Old May 4th, 2013, 07:22 PM
GoGoJJTech
アルファ近く

Nature: Quiet
thank you guys for the responses. ASM is not all that scary anymore XD

Sponsored Links

Advertise here