The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development

Notices

Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 3rd, 2013, 10:06 AM
the__end
Pixel Artist

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
Obviously we couldn't go for anything quite so ambitious as making something from scratch, but we've got various software like RMXP and GameMaker to help, plus the contents of the Interweb to use as resources, so I think it wouldn't be too far-fetched to expect some people to make small games in a week. It's worth considering.
Hmm to be honest one week sounds unrealistic but challenging. Maybe you should consider making an open source example game? You would have full control over it but people should be able to provide resources, maps and ideas (not all being accepted of course) so they can feel like being a part of a team. A dead line is important as well.

The prefixes are fine. It will be helpful to organize stuff. Don't know if it will help to raise the popularity of Essentials thought. There are other/better ways...
Old April 3rd, 2013, 11:13 AM
EnglishMilkshake
Delapitated Account

I got an excelent idea of what should be here.

-How to BE a game developer
-How to get people to want to join a game developing team, it's a lot easier in the ROM Hack team development.

Former Creator of Pokémon Pear Blue and Pokemon Chocolate Green. Coming soon, Pokemon Virus Lavender. To be made in RMXP Pokemon Essentials v12.

Also the founder of "Project Pokemon Advantage Cream".
Old April 4th, 2013, 01:15 AM
jim42

I've always been a bit iffy about having two separate game sections, especially when the suggested tag list includes "demo" and "complete" in both categories. If that's the case, why not have them all in the same section? I know your argument was to prevent larger projects from overshadowing smaller ones, Maruno, but I would wager that same dichotomy exists in both current sections anyway. It seems a bit counterproductive to have that same dichotomy existing twice over, where the only difference between the two essentially amounts to how much work has been put into them.

Thus, I propose the following forum division:

GAME DEVELOPMENT
    • [Discussion] (For discussion of ideologies, principles, conventions, etc. that is not specific to Essentials)
    • [Question] (For general help regarding game development that is not specific to Essentials)
    • [Event] (For competitions, etc. held by the GD staff)
    • [GDM] (Perhaps a more informative tag for this one; "Article", maybe?)
  • Game Projects
    • [Idea] (For projects that are not yet in production)
    • [In progress] (For projects that are actually in production, as proven by screenshots, but don't yet have a demo)
    • [Demo] (For projects that are in production and have a demo released)
    • [Completed] (For projects that have completed production and have a full release)
  • Resources
    • [RBY/GSC graphics]
    • [RSE/FRLG graphics] (I see no reason to differentiate between these; the stylistic difference is minimal)
    • [DPPt/HGSS graphics]
    • [BW/B2W2 graphics] (However, there is much stylistic difference between 4th and 5th gen)
    • [Graphics]
    • [Music]
    • [Audio]
  • Scripts & Tutorials
    • [Script] (For general scripts only; Essentials scripts go under the Essentials section)
    • [Tutorial] (For general tutorials only; Essentials tutorials go under the Essentials section)
    • [Program]
    • [Engine]
    • [Guide] (For non-instructional topics only; compare to topics covered by Discussion tags)
  • Pokémon Essentials
    • [Script] (For Essentials scripts only; general scripts go under the S&E section)
    • [Tutorial] (For Essentials scripts only; general tutorials go under the S&E section)
    • [Discussion] (For discussions pertaining to the Pokémon Essentials kit only)
    • [Question] (For questions pertaining to the Pokémon Essentials kit only)
    • [Release] (For releases of Pokémon Essentials only)

I think that's it. Feel free to expand upon or collapse sections I've outlined. If anything needs clarifying, just ask.
Old April 4th, 2013, 04:34 AM
FL
Pokémon Island Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
Game Development
  • [Discussion]
  • [Question]
  • [Event]
  • [GDM]
Games Showcase
  • [Demo]
  • [Completed]
Progressing Games
  • [Idea]
  • [Demo]
  • [Completed]
Resources
  • [RBY/GSC graphics]
  • [RSE graphics]
  • [FRLG graphics]
  • [DPPt/HGSS graphics]
  • [BW/B2W2 graphics]
  • [Graphics]
  • [Music]
  • [Audio]
Scripts & Tutorials
  • [Essentials script]
  • [Essentials tutorial]
  • [Script]
  • [Tutorial]
  • [Program]
  • [Engine]
  • [Guide]
Pokémon Essentials
  • [Question]
  • [Discussion]
  • [Release]
Very Good! Is possible to make, for the Game Showcase and Processing Games to allow an user to change the name of his own thread without talking to a mod?

I agree with these jim42 suggestions:

[GDM] (Perhaps a more informative tag for this one; "Article", maybe?)
[In progress] (For projects that are actually in production, as proven by screenshots, but don't yet have a demo)
[RSE/FRLG graphics] (I see no reason to differentiate between these; the stylistic difference is minimal)
Old April 14th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Varion Bluefire
A.K.A The Glitch

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Varion Bluefire
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL . View Post
Very Good! Is possible to make, for the Game Showcase and Processing Games to allow an user to change the name of his own thread without talking to a mod?

I agree with these jim42 suggestions:

[GDM] (Perhaps a more informative tag for this one; "Article", maybe?)
[In progress] (For projects that are actually in production, as proven by screenshots, but don't yet have a demo)
[RSE/FRLG graphics] (I see no reason to differentiate between these; the stylistic difference is minimal)
There is actually a HUGE difference between graphic styles from R/S/E and FR/LG
most of which being the overworlds.
Old April 24th, 2013, 07:17 AM
FL
Pokémon Island Creator

How about putting in Resources requests thread links for frequent asked resources? I seen repeated requests over and over. I can point some links.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varion View Post
There is actually a HUGE difference between graphic styles from R/S/E and FR/LG
most of which being the overworlds.
If there is a HUGE difference between RSE and FrLg graphic styles, between RSE and DPP there's a MASSIVE difference, and between GSC and RSE a TITANIC difference.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 02:43 AM
KingCharizard
C++ Developer Extraordinaire

Nature: Bold
I dont think the sub forum scripts and tutorials should show in the board topic list when i go into game development

Last edited by Maruno; May 3rd, 2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 08:40 AM
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCharizard View Post
I dont think the sub forum scripts and tutorials should show in the board topic list when i go into game development
There's no way to not show it. That's how the forum works. Besides, why shouldn't it be shown?
Old May 4th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Varion Bluefire
A.K.A The Glitch

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Varion Bluefire
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL . View Post
How about putting in Resources requests thread links for frequent asked resources? I seen repeated requests over and over. I can point some links.

If there is a HUGE difference between RSE and FrLg graphic styles, between RSE and DPP there's a MASSIVE difference, and between GSC and RSE a TITANIC difference.
Well, yeah. There is.

Alot of difference between them all.

Sponsored Links

Advertise here