Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Anime & Manga
Reload this Page Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan)

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Anime & Manga Here fans of the popular Japanese entertainment can have their hey day; think of it as a little slice of Akihabara.

Old May 3rd, 2013 (06:10 PM). Edited June 20th, 2013 by TwilightBlade.
Protect his very soul.
ModeratorCS

ATTACK ON TITAN

Several hundred years ago, humans were nearly exterminated by titans. Titans are typically several stories tall, seem to have no intelligence, devour human beings and, worst of all, seem to do it for the pleasure rather than as a food source. A small percentage of humanity survived by walling themselves in a city protected by extremely high walls, even taller than the biggest of titans.

Flash forward to the present and the city has not seen a titan in over 100 years. Teenage boy Eren and his foster sister Mikasa witness something horrific as the city walls are destroyed by a colossal titan that appears out of thin air...

(Source: MangaHelpers)

Information

Episodes: 25
Aired: Sunday, Apr 7, 2013 to ?
Genres: Action, Drama, Fantasy, Super Power
Old May 3rd, 2013 (06:18 PM).
CoquettishCat
Crystal Tier

Nature: Relaxed
I haven't watched the newest one yet but I loooove this show. ;o; It definitely slowed down after the first episode but I'm really looking forward to watching the people finally meet up with the Titans again!

Theme * Pair * VM * PM

Not all men...

Are all men stupid?

That's right.

Old May 3rd, 2013 (06:51 PM). Edited May 3rd, 2013 by DrFuji.
Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Crystal Tier

Nature: Jolly
I've really been enjoying SnK. I read the manga a couple of months ago and it is certainly full of twists/ lots of gory fun.

The animation style really separates it from most of the same-y looking shows recently and the high-action scenes with the 3D maneuver gear have been spectacular so far. From what I've seen its not as graphic in terms of the heavy gore but I guess that only to be expected. I really do like the fact that they've pushed up the training arc to the beginning from what was initially a flashback in chapter 14/15 iirc. It will really help to cement characters like Sasha, Annie, Bert and Reiner for people who are new to the series whereas in the manga they're just sort of... there from chapter 3 onwards.

Overall, I definitely think it is one of the picks of the season and I'm really looking forward to more.
Old May 4th, 2013 (01:09 AM).
Memento Mori
Gold Tier

Nature: Calm
I'm watching it but I somehow cannot get myself into it totally...
I'll probably read manga but with all other awesome anime in this season, this one is just... there.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old May 4th, 2013 (01:29 AM).
Nuclear Reactor

Nature: Lonely
Yeeeeees! :D I love this show! The animation is superb, music is epic and that opening...pure awesome. :D
The first episode was a great introduction to the series. :D I might check the manga some time but for now Ill just concentrate on the anime.
I have only one problem with the anime...its so hard to avoid spoilers. :'D

Old May 4th, 2013 (01:58 AM).
Love and Peace

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Shadowraze
OMG, WHY DIDN'T I SAW THIS BEFORE?????

SNK is the by far the best anime in this season and I think it will surpass SAO. Really enjoying it and I even finished the manga in a day LOL. This was the first I was like this the excitement was just awesome!

Too Bad the next episode will be a letdown to some fans. :/
Old May 4th, 2013 (01:45 PM).
Protect his very soul.
ModeratorCS

This show... is intense. I've never watched a show that literally gave me goosebumps all over my arms and made me teary eyed within 15 seconds. I really like Eren's determination; I can see some similarities to SAO, too.

Episode 5
Spoiler:
What was that? I feel like puking.
Old May 4th, 2013 (02:28 PM). Edited May 4th, 2013 by Shadowraze.
Love and Peace

Quote originally posted by TwilightBlade:
This show... is intense. I've never watched a show that literally gave me goosebumps all over my arms and made me teary eyed within 15 seconds. I really like Eren's determination; I can see some similarities to SAO, too.

Episode 5
Spoiler:
What was that? I feel like puking.
Episode 6 and 7 will be a comeback and will have you OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG for the rest of the day LOL.

Spoiler:
I do think this is a big letdown for the people watching the series since the protagonist dies in episode 5 LOL. We will just have to wait for the next episodes for AWESOMENESS! :3

And the new chapter in the manga will probably be released next week oh yeah. xD
Old May 4th, 2013 (02:54 PM).

That show IS AWESOME. And omg, did you know that show surpassed SAO with only 5 episodes? (Anime) http://www.animeseason.com/anime-list/ratings/

Im impressed. And just like you Blade. Never. EVER. Saw an anime. That gave me goosebumps like this one,
Old May 4th, 2013 (03:08 PM).
Love and Peace

Quote originally posted by ExtremeGamer:
That show IS AWESOME. And omg, did you know that show surpassed SAO with only 5 episodes? (Anime) http://www.animeseason.com/anime-list/ratings/

Im impressed. And just like you Blade. Never. EVER. Saw an anime. That gave me goosebumps like this one,
Idk, maybe If I haven't read the manga I'll have goosebumps with the new episodes. Now I remember having a lot of those will reading the manga especially when they got trapped in Castle Utgard. :3
Old May 4th, 2013 (03:23 PM).

Yeah but you read the manga, i dont, i watch the anime XD.

Hope nothing else scary happens, it was sad that the titan had to yank Erens mom's head and then eat her :x
Old May 4th, 2013 (03:50 PM).
Love and Peace

Yeah but you read the manga, i dont, i watch the anime XD.

Hope nothing else scary happens, it was sad that the titan had to yank Erens mom's head and then eat her :x
Scary? Watch episode 5 since the eng sub is out! :3 There's some things that have been added in the anime that's no in the manga. Like the confrontation of Commander Pixis and this fat lord guy. xD
Old May 4th, 2013 (03:55 PM).

Uhh btw i just heard something...u-ugh...ATTENTION, DONT OPEN THE SPOILER IF YOU DONT WANT TO KNOW SOMETHING IMPORTANT ON RYN.

Spoiler:
I heard that Eren dies? D:

Well, RYN is sure an awesome show and the most violent anime i have eva seen.
Old May 4th, 2013 (04:17 PM).
Love and Peace

Uhh btw i just heard something...u-ugh...ATTENTION, DONT OPEN THE SPOILER IF YOU DONT WANT TO KNOW SOMETHING IMPORTANT ON RYN.

Spoiler:
I heard that Eren dies? D:

Well, RYN is sure an awesome show and the most violent anime i have eva seen.
It's really hard making those kind of spoilers LOL. xD
Spoiler:
Yes, he did, DONT FREAKING OPEN THIS IF YOU WANT TO ENJOY THE FREAKING AWESOME ANIME
Spoiler:
I'M TELLING YOU NOT TO OPEN IT
Spoiler:
NONONONONONONONO
Spoiler:
He's not really dead he will become a 15M class titan in the next episode to defend the others to get to the supply room for gas
Old May 4th, 2013 (05:25 PM).

Nature: Serious
Oh wow, I didn't know there was a thread about this.
After watching it for the first time yesterday I got really hooked to it.
The intensity is indescribable, I can barely contain it.
And the gore, of course I wouldn't forget the gore.
And I'm really looking forward to more gore to new episodes
Old May 4th, 2013 (11:46 PM).
Memento Mori
Gold Tier

Quote originally posted by Shadowraze:
Spoiler:
I do think this is a big letdown for the people watching the series since the protagonist dies in episode 5 LOL. We will just have to wait for the next episodes for AWESOMENESS! :3
Most people knew that
Still... what happens after that makes this pretty big mainstream :/

Quote originally posted by KriegStein:
and that opening...pure awesome. :D
I agree with this! :D It goes with anything xD xD

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old May 4th, 2013 (11:56 PM).
Love and Peace

Quote originally posted by Ash493:

Most people knew that
Still... what happens after that makes this pretty big mainstream :/
Most, though if you don't know it yyou will think this anime/manga is the best one in the world. Like what happened to me LOL.

And yes the opening is great! I downloaded the Opening Music. :3
Old May 5th, 2013 (01:19 AM).
Nuclear Reactor

Hmm just watched ep 5. Im still trying to understand what I saw...also I try to decide should I laugh or not.. :D

Old May 5th, 2013 (02:31 AM).
menacing
Crystal Tier

Is this a shounen? Seinen? Is the gore level comparable to one in bersker? Because stuff I've seen in the bersek manga has yet to be surpassed by any manga in terms of shock value. That manga, although more than 20 years old, made me read it for 6-7 hours per day for 3 days.

Is the story in this good? Or does it merely rely on gore and shock value to get attention? How long is the manga? Is it complete?

Sorry about all the questions. This anime intrigues me. Hope it doesn't turn out like SAO - all hype no substance. It was a decent anime. The SnK OP was awesome, though.
Old May 5th, 2013 (03:13 AM).
Love and Peace

Quote originally posted by KriegStein:
Hmm just watched ep 5. Im still trying to understand what I saw...also I try to decide should I laugh or not.. :D
You shall laugh out loud until the next epissode. :3

Quote originally posted by Derozio:
Is this a shounen? Seinen? Is the gore level comparable to one in bersker? Because stuff I've seen in the bersek manga has yet to be surpassed by any manga in terms of shock value. That manga, although more than 20 years old, made me read it for 6-7 hours per day for 3 days.

Is the story in this good? Or does it merely rely on gore and shock value to get attention? How long is the manga? Is it complete?

Sorry about all the questions. This anime intrigues me. Hope it doesn't turn out like SAO - all hype no substance. It was a decent anime. The SnK OP was awesome, though.
It's Shounen, I don't know maybe the gore is greater since I haven't read Berserk that much. The story is really awesome and it doesn't rely on gore and shock value that much, it has it's own ways. :3

Up to now the manga is 44 Chapters and the manga is not complete I do not think it will be completed anytime soon until Eren reaches the basement.

NO, IT WILL NOT TURN LIKE SAO. THIS ANIME IS AS AWESOME AS ME. C:

Yes, the OP is awesome I downloaded the track after hearing it the first time LOL.
Old May 5th, 2013 (03:38 AM).
Wielder of the Sol Blade!

Nature: Quirky
I've only seen the first two Episodes, waiting on a friend to get their internet back before watching more. Honestly, I wasn't totally hooked and found the giant wall a little off-putting, I mean humans were running for their lives from Giants and then suddenly they've build a gigantic series of walls and can self-sustain life inside of them..

What's the story got going for it, to keep me interested? I'd be happy to hear some arguments in its favour (though without spoiling Episode 3+ please!).
Old May 5th, 2013 (03:49 AM).
Love and Peace

Quote originally posted by Teanji:
I've only seen the first two Episodes, waiting on a friend to get their internet back before watching more. Honestly, I wasn't totally hooked and found the giant wall a little off-putting, I mean humans were running for their lives from Giants and then suddenly they've build a gigantic series of walls and can self-sustain life inside of them..

What's the story got going for it, to keep me interested? I'd be happy to hear some arguments in its favour (though without spoiling Episode 3+ please!).
How can you be not hooked?

Well the location where they built the walls is just perfect. It has trees (lots of them), many rivers it also has a lake, and the place has a great amount of natural gas in it making life really perfect.

If you just watch episode 3 you will know it and you will be hooked more to watch the next episodes and maybe even read the manga like what happened to me.
Old May 5th, 2013 (04:00 AM).
Wielder of the Sol Blade!

Nature: Quirky
Quote originally posted by Shadowraze:
How can you be not hooked?

Well the location where they built the walls is just perfect. It has trees (lots of them), many rivers it also has a lake, and the place has a great amount of natural gas in it making life really perfect.

If you just watch episode 3 you will know it and you will be hooked more to watch the next episodes and maybe even read the manga like what happened to me.
I suppose I should overlook the wall, considering I've seen far more far-fetched things in other Anime xD. That said, I'm definitely going to watch the entire show, I just wasn't grabbed like everybody else seems to be, at least with the first two Episodes. Looking forward to the rest!
Old May 5th, 2013 (05:20 AM). Edited May 5th, 2013 by DrFuji.
Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Crystal Tier

Nature: Jolly
Quote originally posted by Derozio:

Its run in a shounen magazine but it I feel like it straddles the line between the two demographics (but ultimately tending towards shounen). It does rely on high-action and 'teamwork' like a regular shounen but it has an incredible emphasis on storytelling and world building like seinen. The line between shounen and seinen can be pretty damn blurry at times so I wouldn't put too much stock in trying to sort it out when there are decent arguments for both sides of the debate. The only thing that can be agreed upon is that it isn't for young children.

Well if you want to compare a series' gore to Bezerker then you're going to come up on the losing side every time haha. So far the anime hasn't been nearly as graphic as the manga (camera cuts away, blood splatters etc) but its is certainly more violent and bloody than your average anime. I'm guessing but this is to help push DVD/ Blu-Ray sales so it isn't restricted to 18+ but it is slightly disappointing nontheless. While I'm not going to post any examples (cuz gore) I can confirm that in the manga there are multiple instances of people being decapitated, amputated, squished into the ground, being killed by centripetal force and having horses thrown at them. Its amazing the multitude of ways the human body can be destroyed, isn't it? :3c

Well there's a slight debate about the story but from most people I've talked to they've agreed that its good. The writer really loves to keep people guessing so there are a lot of questions flying around that need answering even to this day. There are a few sub-plots but it mainly runs with the main story and from my opinion every chapter has either been focused on advancing the story or building the world with little to no filler in between. The writer has been criticised by some for appearing to pull some resolutions out of his ass, but most people can counter this by referencing earlier segments of the story that show a great deal of foreshadowing with hindsight (notably when it comes to the female deviant arc).

Definitely read the first couple of chapters or watch the current episodes if you're even slightly interested though. I've enjoyed the thrill-ride and I'm eagerly awaiting for for the next episode. It has my recommendation if that means anything :P

Also, how could it turn into SAO when it has Sasha?

Old May 5th, 2013 (02:59 PM).
menacing
Crystal Tier

Okay, your response made me give it a shot, Fuji. I'm glad I did. It deserves all the credit it's getting. First episode was intense. Animation was top notch and so was the voice acting. Really wish to see what happens next. :O
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links