The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 25th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Livewire
でんきタイプ

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Livewire

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryoutarou View Post
Am I the only one underwhelmed by the trailer? It just fails to get any sort of real reaction out of me, and I say this as a pretty big Superman fan.
I get chills every time I see it, so, yes. XD
Old April 25th, 2013, 10:43 PM
Elaitenstile
➜is not the last B E A C O N

Send a message via Skype™ to Elaitenstile
Quote:
Am I the only one underwhelmed by the trailer? It just fails to get any sort of real reaction out of me, and I say this as a pretty big Superman fan.
Hmm yeah me too, I mean Superman has lost some of his old 'style' here, and I don't really see much pep put into this. So you're not alone.

Previously known as Elaitenstile 
Old April 26th, 2013, 10:33 PM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
I get chills every time I see it, so, yes. XD
At this point you've got me wondering if it's really chills and not actually a boner, tbh.
Old April 26th, 2013, 11:13 PM
Livewire
でんきタイプ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
At this point you've got me wondering if it's really chills and not actually a boner, tbh.
It could very well be both!
Old April 27th, 2013, 04:18 AM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Nope, you are most definitely not the only one. But I'm not a big Superman fan at all. My biggest Super-memory is probably watching Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman as a 6-year-old! It's probably the only reason I know who Dean Cain is.
Old April 28th, 2013, 08:21 PM
Antemortem
shenanigans is a huge tit

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Antemortem
I've never been a Superman fan whatsoever either, though there is a cartoon I recall watching as a child that had a pretty cool Superman in it. He was alright! Of course, the name escapes me, as per usual. But anyway, this movie is looking pretty good regardless. It's definitely not number one on my summer movie list but it's there. After Earth deeeefinitely has that spot!
Old April 28th, 2013, 09:20 PM
Livewire
でんきタイプ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antemortem View Post
I've never been a Superman fan whatsoever either, though there is a cartoon I recall watching as a child that had a pretty cool Superman in it. He was alright! Of course, the name escapes me, as per usual. But anyway, this movie is looking pretty good regardless. It's definitely not number one on my summer movie list but it's there. After Earth deeeefinitely has that spot!
Interesting that After Earth moved up a week so as to not conflict too much with Superman. ;D Hehe.
Old April 28th, 2013, 09:30 PM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter

I just had a look at After Earth, as I hadn't heard of it until now and this is the first sentence that worried me:
Quote:
It is co-written, produced and directed by M. Night Shyamalan
The premise of it sounds very interesting, and I will always enjoy Will Smith in anything he's in, but I just have to be wary of anything that has M. Night Shyayalanalalaman's name on it, for obvious reasons. Is this year the year of the futuristic/abandoned Earth movie or something?
Old April 28th, 2013, 09:33 PM
Antemortem

Yeah, I was turned off at first because of Shamaylan, but it might not be all that bad, considering what I've seen from trailers. Maybe he can break his streak of absolutely terrible movies.
Old April 28th, 2013, 09:37 PM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter

Providing Will Smith has trained his young Padawan well in the arts of acting, this could be a huge blockbuster! Unless Shmymynaanlan gets his own way and turns it into a big budget, unofficial remake of Lost or something.
Old April 29th, 2013, 11:53 AM
Esper

When I saw the trailer for this I wasn't really paying attention and said "I guess they couldn't get Will Smith for this, but they got a guy who looks kind of like him." He's so predictable with the movies he makes it's kind of sad since I want to like him, but I haven't seen anything with him in it I've liked since Pursuit of Happyness.

deviantart blog pair
Old April 29th, 2013, 03:25 PM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter

Considering he took a four year break from 2008 to early 2012, Will hasn't been in that much since Pursuit of Happyness, soooooo
Old April 30th, 2013, 11:08 AM
Esper

That would be why he wasn't on my radar at all. I just assumed he was making flops or something.

deviantart blog pair
Old April 30th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter

Nah, I think he was busy being a father & raising his kids to replace him when he retires or something, lol.
Old May 1st, 2013, 11:32 AM
Esper

I gotta say it weirds me out a little when actors have kids, like not yet adult kids, who also act. I wonder if they're doing it because they want to or because their parents want them to.

deviantart blog pair
Old May 2nd, 2013, 07:35 AM
LilJz
Zoeeyyyyy! ♥
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Will Smith is probably my most favorite actor, but his son... I really don't feel the same about him.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 10:05 PM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter

He's what, 14 years old? Give him a break.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 05:37 AM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

Nature: Quirky
Wait, M. Night Shyamalam is involved in After Earth? Now I'm worried that it's going to be another sub-par, environmental rant film, with countless plot twists that make little sense.

I really didn't notice Will Smith's absence from the previous decades, nor was I aware that his son is going to be his replacement soon.

Not sure if this is worth discussing here at the GE section, but apparently, they're re-releasing the awful Super Mario Bros. movie to the silver screen in L.A. to celebrate its 20th anniversary. Just when this year marks 20 years of some of our beloved films (Jurassic Park, Lion King, Nightmare Before Christmas, etc.), they have to celebrate 20 years of this abomination: http://mynintendonews.com/2013/05/03...ary-screening/
Old May 3rd, 2013, 06:14 AM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
Just when this year marks 20 years of some of our beloved films
Quote:
(Jurassic Park, Lion King, Nightmare Before Christmas, etc.),
Quote:
Lion King
I wasn't aware that The Lion King had suddenly been transported a year back in time! Incredible. Science is amazing.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 06:32 AM
LilJz
Zoeeyyyyy! ♥
Community Supporter

His age don't matter, I just don't like the kid very much. Plus, Macaulay Culkin did better acting when he started to rise to fame.

And really? The horrible Super Mario Bros movie? For celebrating 20 years, they could haveve done something a lot better than re-releasing that horrible thing called a video game adaption =/
They have been numerous movie that are video game based but that one just takes the cake.
Re-releasing that movie would just make everyone remember of how bad that movie did justice to the best selling franchise on the planet.

Last edited by LilJz; May 3rd, 2013 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 11:30 AM
Esper

Nothing wrong with bringing an old movie back to the silver screen for another run. Even bad movies have their fans. And there are people who like to watch bad movies for the fun. Why do you think I've seen all the Twilight movies?

deviantart blog pair
Old May 3rd, 2013, 02:53 PM
Azure Rathalδs
WOOP WOOP WOOP
Community Supporter

Quote:
And really? The horrible Super Mario Bros movie? For celebrating 20 years, they could haveve done something a lot better than re-releasing that horrible thing called a video game adaption =/
It's become a cult classic like Plan 9 From Outer Space due to it's bad quality and campiness, although when judged by itself not as a adaptation of Super Mario Bros it's a pretty forgettable movie.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 06:20 PM
LilJz
Zoeeyyyyy! ♥
Community Supporter

Really? Super Mario Bros The Movie is now a classic? Wow, I'm guessing because it's Mario Bros.? Plus it's been rated as the worst video game movie adaptation.

Well, we'll just have to see how well it does in the box office when it comes out.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 07:58 PM
Antemortem

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilJz1234 View Post
Really? Super Mario Bros The Movie is now a classic? Wow, I'm guessing because it's Mario Bros.? Plus it's been rated as the worst video game movie adaptation.

Well, we'll just have to see how well it does in the box office when it comes out.
It's not a classic in the generic sense of the word. As Urban Dictionary so eloquently puts it, a cult classic is 'something that's really hip with a select group of people,' meaning its fanbase is most likely comprised of people who like bad movies, those who think any adaptation of their favorite game (in this case Mario Bros.) is just THE BEST THING EVER!!!, and those who legitimately thought it was good, otherwise known as the minority.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 08:08 PM
LilJz
Zoeeyyyyy! ♥
Community Supporter

Hmm, haven't ever heard of those people. Until now, every person that ever talked about the movie told me that they hated it, maybe they're a small number?

Btw, do you guys think that movies leaked on the internet while they're still in the theaters could affect the box office a lot?

I don't really like piracy myself, so I mostly just buy or check the movies in theaters.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here