The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Art & Design

Notices

Art & Design For digital, traditional, design, photography and mixed media art, Pokémon-related or not. Showcase or discuss anything related to the visual arts here.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 2nd, 2013, 12:00 PM
Sylphiel

Nature: Quirky
So it's been an awfully long time since I've posted any of my artwork to this forum! ...Sadly, I don't have much in the way of newer finished stuff (that's pokemon related, anyway, I've been lazy with actually finishing pieces lately), but I do happen to have some sketches I can show off!

Sylveon:
Spoiler:

Not too long after Sylveon was revealed, I thought I should draw one. The mental image I got when I looked at it was of a cat chasing butterflies, so...here's Sylveon batting at some beautiflies.

Purrloin:
Spoiler:

I love Purrloin, so I decided to sketch it in a semi-realistic style and-- hey, where did my watch go?

Fake pokemon:
Spoiler:
Two fake pokemon I made up, fire/grass types inspired by the Cinnamon Bird

The first stage. Tentatively calling it "Cinnamini" (for lack of a better name).

This is actually an older sketch, but since it's related to the above I'm including it as well.

Random lizard:
Spoiler:

Had this little guy in a dream of mine once. I was trying to get a better hold of what it looked like.

Cobalion:
Spoiler:

Trying to get a handle on what a realistic Cobalion might look like. Looking at this, I'm definitely aware my scanner sucks at scanning certain things. Eesh.

Altaria evo:
Spoiler:

Older thing, but still one I like. The original idea was for a contest to make an evolution for a pokemon based on using the King's Rock...this was the thing I was originally going to submit (I went with a skarmory evo instead).

Thank you for looking. :D
Old May 2nd, 2013, 04:14 PM
⊗Slenderman⊗
[Left PC]
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I specifically like the Purrloin drawing- it does look like a playful kitten. I also can tell that you do know feline anatomy quite well, by the Sylveon drawing. [:
(Copy/paste the above into your browser)
Old May 2nd, 2013, 09:01 PM
Fairy
pixie ・【ピクシー】

Wow, I am so glad you decided to post a gallery.

This work is really great. I mean, these are seriously stunning. I know they're not full fledged pieces, but I can tell that you're extremely comfortable with a pencil. I think that's what this gallery speaks volumes of, actually. Because, again, these aren't completed drawings... but it displays so well your sheer talent. Especially when it comes to animal anatomy. Do you generally draw animals? Because it shows. The poses are all so natural looking and that Purrloin is just.. amazing.

I think the other thing I love is the fact that I can identify the characters personalities. I feel like I get a really great sense of who your Sylveon is and who your lizard fakemon is through their positioning and gesture. Actually, I just found the word. Your characters are organic and easy to relate to. They really look like solid Sugimori-esque work. I also adore how expressive the eyes are on all your drawings. I mean, they're not overly detailed, but that's kind of the beauty of it.

Hm, I don't know about anyone else.. but I'd really love to see that Skarmory drawing! n_n;

This was such a treat to see. I'm not just going to tell you "you should..", nope, I demand that you keep updating this. The simple fact that this is the first time I've seen your work is nothing short of a crime. Really though, you have no idea how much seeing this made my day. I sincerely hope you continue to post your drawings cause I could stare at these forever. :x

Old May 2nd, 2013, 09:58 PM
tabor62
PONPONPON
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Wow, these are really good. I really like the random lizard, makes me think of the avatar you used before your previous avatar. Or are they the same? I dunno, still awesome though, keep up the good work o 3o

Friend Codes
Y

Trade Reviews
Click Here

Ever wonder what goes through my head as I breed Pokemon? Want to see all the steps and pains I take to provide Pokemon for all of you? Well clicky clicky [here].
Old May 3rd, 2013, 01:08 PM
Shadow Wind
Unhatched Egg

Wow, good pencil works, I'm really fascinated by your semplicity, a realistic semplicity. Can I draw digitally your Cobalion?
Old May 4th, 2013, 03:32 AM
Patrick
Winter Love
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Sassy
I like the Cinnamini picture and the one below it, it's very cute, but overall a lot of nice pencil/sketch works. You get a lot of bang out of your sketch work.

Other Stuff That's Totally Uncool and Not Worth Your Time!

Old May 4th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Rain Dancer
Wanderer

Nature: Calm
Wow, you really have a nice sketch style.

I like how you handled the fur in Cobalion's neck.. It's always good to see pokemon represented in semi-realistic styles.
Old May 4th, 2013, 06:14 PM
Sylphiel

Thank you everyone. :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexial357 View Post
Wow, I am so glad you decided to post a gallery.

This work is really great. I mean, these are seriously stunning. I know they're not full fledged pieces, but I can tell that you're extremely comfortable with a pencil. I think that's what this gallery speaks volumes of, actually. Because, again, these aren't completed drawings... but it displays so well your sheer talent. Especially when it comes to animal anatomy. Do you generally draw animals? Because it shows. The poses are all so natural looking and that Purrloin is just.. amazing.

I think the other thing I love is the fact that I can identify the characters personalities. I feel like I get a really great sense of who your Sylveon is and who your lizard fakemon is through their positioning and gesture. Actually, I just found the word. Your characters are organic and easy to relate to. They really look like solid Sugimori-esque work. I also adore how expressive the eyes are on all your drawings. I mean, they're not overly detailed, but that's kind of the beauty of it.

Hm, I don't know about anyone else.. but I'd really love to see that Skarmory drawing! n_n;

This was such a treat to see. I'm not just going to tell you "you should..", nope, I demand that you keep updating this. The simple fact that this is the first time I've seen your work is nothing short of a crime. Really though, you have no idea how much seeing this made my day. I sincerely hope you continue to post your drawings cause I could stare at these forever. :x
Yep, animals are essentially the thing I'm best at drawing (other things, not so much). In regards to things like the Purrloin and Sylveon, I think having lived with cats before really helps. Many nights of studying the kitties as they slept on my bed.

In regards to the skarmory evo....uh. I had some completed pics of it somewhere, where were they...

Oh good, I found a copy on my old photobucket:
Spoiler:

The best of the few I did, since I started running out of steam for that contest after the first pic or two. The pokemon at the bottom isn't mine, it's a skorupi alt evo that belongs to someone else on deviantart.

Actually, I guess there's the crappy sketch beforehand:
Spoiler:

Which was like 10 minutes of me frantically scribbling stuff over an icky digital camera shot to make sure I had something turned in in time. That was a white paper background, darnit!

His name's Tyradamant. I haven't drawn him since then (2009) just because he's such a pain to draw to my liking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabor62 View Post
Wow, these are really good. I really like the random lizard, makes me think of the avatar you used before your previous avatar. Or are they the same? I dunno, still awesome though, keep up the good work o 3o
Different one, the one for my avatar was some random fake dragon pokemon I spliced together like years ago. I don't even remember when I made it. ><

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Wind View Post
Wow, good pencil works, I'm really fascinated by your semplicity, a realistic semplicity. Can I draw digitally your Cobalion?
Sure, go ahead. :)

As for something new, dragons!

Spoiler:

Okay, this got a slight photoshop treatment. Just random.

Silver dragon. Ballpoint pen plus having some boredom with the colored pencils.
Old May 6th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Shadow Wind
Unhatched Egg

Ok I'll draw the cobalion when i have time.
Old May 19th, 2013, 05:45 PM
Sylphiel

Just a few things, don't really have much else that's cleaned up to my liking right now.

Something has caught Quilava's attention, apparently.

om nom nom
Oh, it's just a cat eating a taco, carry on then.

(But clean up that mess you're making, darnit!)
Old May 20th, 2013, 12:40 PM
xxkaylabby
unacceptable!
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via AIM to xxkaylabby Send a message via Skype™ to xxkaylabby
wow your sketches are amazing. i love all of them i must say. i love seeing how you like fully processed them!
i love how each drawing is like super cute and different from one another. like alexial said, you can almost tell their personality.
i hope you finish them so we can see the final product. i love them all(:

|Pair|
|Theme|
|Tumblr|
|My Gallery|
|Friend Code|
|Trade Thread|

Old May 27th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Sylphiel

Something that's more than a sketch this time around!

Latias. And a baby one. And eggs. Or something.
Old May 27th, 2013, 08:36 PM
Fairy
pixie ・【ピクシー】

Wow.. that's just..

Incredible. n_n;

I love your coloring style. It's so smooth and easy to look at. I'm also very impressed by your highlighting in that Latias piece. I feel like whenever I do lighting with colored pencil, I end up overlooking or completely ignoring that "less is more" rule. I also really like how you split up the outline between black (purple?) and red, like around her chest and head. But, above all else, I really love your style.

I think the only viable critique I've got here is that the outline looks a bit messy in places (unconnected line between her head and ears).. but again, I don't think this was meant to be a serious piece and, honestly, it lends a lot to the more casual nature of the drawing itself. So, even if that wasn't deliberate, it still has creative merit, in my opinion.

And dat baby Latias hnnngggg ;o;

Yeah, I'm a fan. now more plz

Old June 1st, 2013, 02:08 PM
-Oops
um no

Nice. I really like the Cobalion even though it's not finished. I'd love to see some more finished drawings maybe?
Old October 30th, 2013, 12:58 AM
Sylphiel

It's been way too long I'm sorry

Won't say why I stopped drawing for some time, but I do come bearing more stuff! MORE DRAGONS! In no particular order really, I'm just linking them as I look through my photobucket. Oldest is from like a few months ago or so, the majority are rather recent however.

Spoiler:

Water-element dragon, I guess.

Spoiler:

Another silver dragon.

Spoiler:

Cobalt dragon. I was actually extremely impressed with how this one turned out, as it actually came out close to how I wanted it.

...Well, the head did, at least.

Spoiler:

The filename I chose for this was "arghcolors". I dunno, I was in a bad mood and needed something colorful to cheer me up.

Also regular printer paper is horrible for coloring on nnngh.

Spoiler:

Character idea I was messing around with. Part owl, part dragon...part unicorn? idk

I lost the stylus to my tablet so uhhh yeah. I'm seeing a fair bit more traditional stuff in my future until I either find that or get a new tablet.
Old October 30th, 2013, 03:53 AM
Major Ziggs
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylphiel View Post
Two fake pokemon I made up, fire/grass types inspired by the Cinnamon Bird
Spoiler:

The first stage. Tentatively calling it "Cinnamini" (for lack of a better name).
I love it I love it I love it I love it I loooooove it. If this was a real Pokémon then it'd be on my team every time without fail. I don't suppose you've tried spriting it? If so I'd love to see.

I really love the work you've posted so far, the realistic drawings are such a unique take on Pokémon and your own designs (especially the silver dragons) are just beautiful. I have no constructive comments to give as I've got no experience whatsoever in this field but I couldn't help commenting on how much I love this gallery. I'll be following for updates so can't wait to see what else you've been working on; though I would suggest trying out a darker/twisted theme for some of your dragons (especially cobalt dragon) as I think it'd suit them really well. Also can't wait to see half of them when/if they're finished with colour haha (again, especially cobalt dragon).

As a side note I'm enjoying the metallic dragon theme but I can't help but wonder what inspired it - was it just a random theme or something deeper to you?
Old October 30th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Sinjuda
Newbie Breeder
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Calm
Cinnamini is so cute >< I want it D:!

3926-4901-1770
grass safari Sunkern/Ivysaur/Quilladin
Old October 30th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Fairy Tale~
baaa
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
wwwoow thhhhaatss jj just AMAZING!

Pared To 2eyedcyclops
Brother Heartouch
Old October 30th, 2013, 03:46 PM
Sylphiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexOzzyCake View Post
I love it I love it I love it I love it I loooooove it. If this was a real Pokémon then it'd be on my team every time without fail. I don't suppose you've tried spriting it? If so I'd love to see.
I think I've entertained the thought from time to time. Although I did find myself wanting to work on something pixel-related the other day - maybe that should be my project! Hmmm. I'm just so out of practice with the pokemon style that I'd have to brush up on it.

Quote:
I really love the work you've posted so far, the realistic drawings are such a unique take on Pokémon and your own designs (especially the silver dragons) are just beautiful. I have no constructive comments to give as I've got no experience whatsoever in this field but I couldn't help commenting on how much I love this gallery. I'll be following for updates so can't wait to see what else you've been working on; though I would suggest trying out a darker/twisted theme for some of your dragons (especially cobalt dragon) as I think it'd suit them really well. Also can't wait to see half of them when/if they're finished with colour haha (again, especially cobalt dragon).

As a side note I'm enjoying the metallic dragon theme but I can't help but wonder what inspired it - was it just a random theme or something deeper to you?
It's part "they fascinate me" (especially silver ones, I don't know why) and part that I've had ideas for a story world in my head for like...ever, and I'm trying to get a handle on how they'd look.

The funny thing is that "dark and twisted" would definitely fit the cobalt dragon best, considering the lore I've been making up for them...maybe sometime soon. ;D

----

Random thing from today, I was curious as to how I could get Espurr to look in a more realistic view.

I'm both mildly creeped out and yet can't stop giggling at it.
Old October 30th, 2013, 05:44 PM
Stoney the Mewtwo
The original powerhouse!

Nature: Naive
Wow...
Just wow...
Your artworks are AMAZING!
I especially liked your cinnamon bird pokemons!
Old November 21st, 2013, 11:20 PM
Sylphiel

Another thing that's more than a sketch:

Another Espurr. With a bow. Why? Who knows.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 07:10 AM
Kakarot1212
Awesome as always...

Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylphiel View Post
Another thing that's more than a sketch:

Another Espurr. With a bow. Why? Who knows.
Whoa, what a cute lttle pokemon
Your very much artistic sir. I reaally like your sketches, apecially the dragon one
I-i'd like to make one too, although really suck at sketching animals
I'll try the trainers! , soon.

楓 弘詩
“ Programs must be written for people
to read, and only incidentally for
machines to execute. ”
Pair Pair | Facebook | Showdown | PHO | Twitter
| The Prediction Game |
Old November 24th, 2013, 01:46 PM
Fairy
pixie ・【ピクシー】

Oh gosh these Espurr are just!

I'm such a fan of yours. Also I know why Espurr has a bow (pssst it's because it wants to be a Sylveon <333). Seriously adorable work though. I particularly like how you decided to highlight your Espurr too, on her cheeks and fur. It gives a good amount of depth to it without it looking so dark and brooding.

Can't wait for the next update omg.

Old December 19th, 2013, 07:02 PM
Sylphiel

So.

Spoiler:

Gryphon/bird thing with outrageous eyebrows. Or something.

Spoiler:

Some sort of beast. I dunno, I thought I should probably stop making crappy doodles of dragons, so I tried sketching an idea I'd had years ago.

(Me shading the ear like that makes it look like another horn ergh. But this was ballpoint pen so whoops no changing it.)

Spoiler:

Cat with wings in a tree.

More things. Quick things. Honestly I was kind of tempted to just draw more Espurr, but...maybe next time. :P
Old December 19th, 2013, 08:40 PM
Indoor_Shades
It ain't even bright here

I LOVE that cobalion it's so kewl.
:C Tried 3x to draw one but welp, failing badly.

Pyrion | FC: 3496-9965-2828
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links