The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon Anime

Notices

Pokémon Anime Are you a regular watcher of the Pokémon Anime and its Movies or just an old fan? Come here, and take part in all the various ongoing discussions about the Pokémon Anime.

Old May 3rd, 2013, 01:13 PM
Gleam Noiyam
Bleeding sure is lovely.

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via AIM to Gleam Noiyam Send a message via Skype™ to Gleam Noiyam
Which do you prefer? The subbed Pokemon anime (original Japanese) or the dubbed anime? (In English and other languages.) Why do you prefer it?

I prefer dubs because I only follow the dub and am therefore too lazy to watch the original Japanese version of the Pokemon anime. Despite how edited the English dub is (for kid audiences or whatever), I only follow it because I have no reason to watch the Japanese--I'll be focusing on the subtitles more than the show, so, yeah, dub it is!

Discuss if you must.
Sheep and I fangirl about cute stuff too much. Current theme. Current obsessions.

Old May 3rd, 2013, 01:15 PM
Passenger
MP4/4

Nature: Calm
Subs, I watched a lot of dubbed and subbed episodes and I came to conclusion that Japanese version sounds a lot better to me, also it has better soundtrack.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 01:21 PM
Aquacorde
i can do anything

Nature: Bold
Dub for everything before Best Wishes, sub for everything after. That's really only because that's how I started watching them. Originally I just saw Pokémon on TV so I got the 4Kids dub and then just stuck with it on rewatches cause I'm used to it. And when I eventually play catchup with BF & DP I'll watch the dub just cause I'll be too lazy to find subs.

But with Best Wishes, I started with subs and I'll stick with subs. I have seen the dub for most of it because that's what I watched on my catch-up watchthrough and occasionally I have to watch it to make a thread and have legit commentary. But I don't enjoy it as much. The dialogue is weird and the acting tends to be stilted and they've lost a LOT of Cilan's character in translation. Everything sounds more appealing in Japanese.

Actually, I guess... I started with Japanese raws and I'll stick with them? I hardly ever watch subs anymore because I watch the raw and have to wait over a month for subs so I just watch, get the gist of it, then watch tumblr for some summaries from people who understand more Japanese than I do. But yeah, no BW dub for me thanks.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 02:59 PM
zdude18
Lone Wolf

Nature: Relaxed
im with the OP on this one. ive always watched the dub (except for the banned episodes i watched in japonese) and i see no reason to stop doing so. i dont mind the acting and the actors because ive gotten used to them (although i had a minor setback when they changed) and ive really always liked the way they go about doing it except for when they reset ash's skill for BW. that was the worst decision ever.
White 2: 3397 3474 0556
Old May 3rd, 2013, 03:02 PM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Dubbed, even if subs is the better choice and some of the English voices are grating and the translation tacky. This is like Sailor Moon to me, as a child I grew up watching the show in English, and it just stuck that way for me. I didn't know anything about subs back then or the original Japanese version. I just knew what I saw. So I kind of just stuck with following the dubbed version as they came, even now.

There was a short period during the Sinnoh Saga during the Grand Festival arc and Sinnoh League that I watched it in Japanese without subtitles, but I eventually stopped when Best Wishes premiered.

I don't think I'll ever really grow out of watching the dubbed version. I'd quicker stop the anime altogether before I choose to watch the show in subs entirely. That's just me though...
Old May 4th, 2013, 12:13 AM
alienhunterx

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to alienhunterx
I watch both RAW (i-e japanese anime) as well as DUBs when they are released. As for Sub I never have the time to watch again what i already have watched
Old May 4th, 2013, 12:52 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori

Dub... Japanese dub =D
Yep, RAWs are for me.
Old May 4th, 2013, 03:37 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
I prefer thew japanese voices to nthe Dub, so Sub.
Old May 4th, 2013, 09:55 AM
The Mega Champion
Strategist

Send a message via AIM to The Mega Champion Send a message via Skype™ to The Mega Champion
I only watch animes dubbed.

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 5.

Winter 2014 for PS3.

Old May 7th, 2013, 06:03 PM
Hikamaru
The Aqua Mouse Pokémon

Nature: Quirky
I have watched the Best Wishes series both subbed and dubbed, but dubbed came first for me.

Crystal Supporter Hikamaru

"The fur on its body naturally repels water. It can stay dry, even when it plays in the water."

Marill

Old May 7th, 2013, 06:12 PM
Sheep

Nature: Timid
Subbed. I prefer watching things in their original language but one of the biggest reasons I can't stick to the dub is because of Ash's new voice.. still haven't gotten used to it. :( Plus the original Japanese has the awesome openings and endings~

Old May 7th, 2013, 10:38 PM
CliveKoopa

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to CliveKoopa Send a message via Yahoo to CliveKoopa Send a message via Skype™ to CliveKoopa
Dubs for everything. I can understand and enjoy it better that way.
Old May 7th, 2013, 11:12 PM
Zekrom1066
Master of Ideals

Nature: Naughty
I like Subs better, I feel that the Japanese version has better voice acting and emotions to the characters. Also because I can speak little Japanese and can write and memorize the full katakana and hiragana alphabet system, although I do not really understand a lot of Kanji.

I also enjoy the dubs, especially from the Kanto, Jotho, Sinnoh and Best Wishes series, even though they were not as good as the subs.

I absolutely dislike the dubbed Advanced series due to 4Kid's horrible voice acting, and also because the trainer's choice was a big epic fail. Arbok evolves into Seviper???

Naughty Nature Zekrom with 422 Attack stat and 252 Attack EVs traded from Pokemon White Version FTW!!!

Last edited by Zekrom1066; May 8th, 2013 at 10:35 PM.
Old May 16th, 2013, 10:23 AM
gavynray123
Banned

Nature: Serious
I like subbed everything for pokemon. It's sounds a lot more exotic compared to English. Plus, I have a translation for the indigo league typed how they pronounce the words, but it's typed in English!
Old May 16th, 2013, 10:54 PM
alienhunterx

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to alienhunterx
I really feel strange hearing japanese voices and how characters make action after a dialogue even if there is an English sub in it I still prefer Dubs over them
Old May 17th, 2013, 02:23 AM
Playful_Weasel
I just want to play!
Community Supporter Tier 3

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Playful_Weasel
Both for me.

Personally, I prefer the original Japanese with no subs at all. Only once do I want to see it subbed (just to understand some phrases I don't understand - I'm learning Japanese).

For me its great to also see the dub version in my native Spanish. I prefer the Spanish dub, all the jokes make sense, smaller 'childish' insults (such as "chimuelo" or "bobo") work great along with references to culture in Latin America. I always laugh a lot watching it in my own language. Too bad that Spanish dub is too far behind (they barely are on Rival Destinies, today the episode with Maractus will premier).

As for English, most jokes aren't really used, or as funny, a lot of the emotion is toned down. Even when the 4th wall is broken, its funnier in Spanish.

Preference:
1st - original Japanese, no subtitles or anything
2nd - Spanish, dubbed for Latin America [Iberian Spanish is a bit strange for me]
3rd - English
if I could find any, 4th - other languages
Watchog's #1 Fan!!
PokeMustelid & PokeFelines too!
- FC on Trainer Card
Steel Safari: Magneton - Skarmory - Excadrill

Last edited by Playful_Weasel; May 17th, 2013 at 02:26 AM. Reason: organizing post to make a bit of sense
Old May 17th, 2013, 05:52 AM
Dangelitus

Nature: Modest
In the specific case of pokemon I prefer dub, because i like the voice that was choseen for the characters; mainly the jokes that makes the team rocket.

I see the anime in spanish of latin america, and some phrases from the team rocket sounds very funny in spanish, like "Ahi madre ahi", even i learnt their dialogue in the first chapters since "Prepararense para los problemas ...." and if if I had seen sub, i guess i don't learnt their phrases XD
Old May 17th, 2013, 07:15 AM
AnonygooseD
Lametrainer

Nature: Jolly
I'd say dubbed cuz I don't understand Japanese.
Also I watched the trailer for "Extreme Speed Genesect" in Japanese and I kinda laughed a lot at Ash shouting nearly all the time so I thought maybe I'll do the same during the real movie if I watched it in Japanese, that's why I must watch dub
Old May 28th, 2013, 01:45 PM
bulbasir
Just call me Mr. Sir...

I prefer dubbed because I focus too much on the subtitles if I watch subbed. Also, I feel like the Japanese actors are shouting all the time, it kind of annoys me. I really like the english dub music as well, so win-win for me
Old May 28th, 2013, 04:21 PM
TrainerJacob

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to TrainerJacob
I prefer the dubbed version, because, I'm used to seeing that version and because the Japanese voices would make me want to turn it off.
Old June 7th, 2013, 04:21 AM
Kayota
Scyther

Nature: Relaxed
I watch the dub because the sub sounds weird to me. Any other anime I prefer subs.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links