The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > General Chat

Notices

General Chat Reporting for duty!

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 4th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Patchisou Yutohru
Community Supporter

Advertise here
You're an adult in your late 20s living on your own in a one bedroom apartment.

It's around 6pm on a Saturday afternoon, and there's a knock on the door. You drop your dish you were washing and walk to the door.

"Hello. How may I help you?"

It's a complete stranger, dressed in khaki pants and a graphic tee with a plaid overthrow shirt unbuttoned and a messenger bag. "Can I stay with you? I have nowhere to go."

What do you do? Do you let the stranger in your home?
Old May 4th, 2013, 09:23 AM
Recluse
The Harbinger of Solitude
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Yes, I would let him or her in my house, but of course I'd be really cautious. If I could, I would even help him/her stand up and get a home or job eventually.
Old May 4th, 2013, 09:25 AM
Shiny Celebi
Donator Tier 3
Community Supporter Tier 3

Ok this is a tough one. Im not sure, I know nothing about this person and have never seen them in my life. Although I feel like I would want to help this person out and they might seem nice, Im not sure Id be comfortable just letting some stranger into my home to stay.
Old May 4th, 2013, 12:07 PM
⊗Slenderman⊗
[Left PC]
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
No.
Go ask someone else. Please leave.

I don't trust people. Why would I let a stranger in my house?
(Copy/paste the above into your browser)
Old May 4th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Rϵd
Ahola Bith

Nature: Careful
Clean everything plz <-- i think i would probably say this lol but id be careful since its a total stranger.

Theme | Pairs | PC Battle Server

I am gone bye
Old May 4th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Ausaudriel
Chief Mechanic

Nature: Gentle
If the vibes were right, then yes absolutely. I'm big about vibes and impressions, so as long as I didn't get skeezed out, I would love to have a stranger stay with me.

I think that there's nothing better in life than the unexpected and spontaneous. There are so many great things that could come from a situation like this--you could make a new life-long friend, or maybe just know a person for a few weeks but have amazing conversations and insights into their lives. Maybe one day, years down the road, your fortunes are reversed and you're the one who needs a place to stay in a rough patch.

You never know. Closing doors before even peeking inside of them is a foolish thing. A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.
Old May 4th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Dakota
ignore the whisper

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Dakota
I'd make him clean the dishes that somehow I was doing. Cause I don't wash dishes

No. As rude as it might sound, I don't know anything about him. He could be the nicest guy in the world, or he might be an ex convict, as far as my knowledge is concerned. To permit entry would be a risk I wouldn't take. I would, however, try to help him out. I'm not that heartless. I'd redirect him to some place where he could crash for a while. Not my house however, sorry.
Old May 4th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Oryx
Of the pigeon, by the pigeon, for the pigeon
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
No. I live in a bad area so it's not wise to trust people here, and I don't have the luxury of risking someone stealing all my things and possibly harming my family. I'd probably help them find the nearest shelter though, because that's no risk to me.
PM
Old May 4th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Overlord Drakow
-CONQUERER

Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujours View Post
No. I live in a bad area so it's not wise to trust people here, and I don't have the luxury of risking someone stealing all my things and possibly harming my family. I'd probably help them find the nearest shelter though, because that's no risk to me.
But it's fine if they steal some of your things right? It's also fine if they only steal all of your things or just harm your family. Haha, nah I'm just joking around. Even I admit that's taking the logical approach too far.

As for me, hmm I think I would let them crash round at least for a short period of time. Long term I'm not so sure.
Old May 4th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Phantom
Uh, I didn't do it
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
I would let them in, and get them something to eat. It's how I was raised.

My grandparents started a foodshelf out of their own pocket, and now it's a pretty established mission in the community. My grandma (died two years ago) would say "You never know when Jesus is going to come to your door asking for help. You might not know it's him, he might not say who he is, but you help him anyways."

Thing is, this exact situation, is something that happened in my family a lot. I'd be at my grandma's, chilling with my uncle and then a man in raggy clothes would knock on the door saying he had no where to go. My grandma would let him in, feed him half the bloody kitchen, then show him the bathroom and guestroom. There was hardly a time that there wasn't a stranger or two there. Lots of times they were the mother or father of families we'd helped, or they were literally someone who rang the door bell. Lead to meeting some really cool people, and some really... interesting... ones. Teens running away from bad homes, pregnant women with no idea where to go, homeless vets, anyone could come over and be welcome. Some even stayed for a few weeks.

Sometimes even local cops would stop by for lunch.

I'm don't believe in religion or god anymore, I'm atheist, but that doesn't mean that part of that lesson didn't stick with me. I help others whenever I can, however I can. So I'd invite him in, offer him whatever food I could, maybe a soda or some water, and sit down and talk.

I have a shotgun anyways so if he tried anything...

Last edited by Phantom; May 4th, 2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old May 4th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Sydian
I don't like frogs.

Nature: Timid
If I say no, I'd be afraid of being turned into a beast and having to fall in love with someone.

But no really, I'd probably say no because...just...idk. I don't trust many people, especially random people that turn up at the door. I wouldn't let him or her leave empty handed though. I'd probably give them a few food supplies, a blanket I don't need, and a water bottle or two, among other things. I can't shelter people I don't know in such an age where no one can be trusted, but I won't let someone just leave with nothing to eat or drink or anything of the sort.

paired to crono
Old May 4th, 2013, 03:18 PM
⊗Slenderman⊗
[Left PC]
Community Supporter

Hadn't even thought of it, but I agree with part of Sydian's post. I would at least attempt to help them without actually letting them into my house.
(Copy/paste the above into your browser)
Old May 4th, 2013, 03:32 PM
Nathan
don't approach
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Nathan
Probably yes. I'd be feeling guilty if I abandoned someone like this. What if it was me? I'd help him out and let him stay for some time. Eventually I'd help him search for a job. I'd be very cautious though.
I just wouldn't say no. I love to help people out and who knows if this stranger I helped won't be the one who helps me out when I need it.
Old May 4th, 2013, 03:51 PM
Cassino
trumpet skeleton of the abyss

No. I don't think well of pre-emptive trust. I'll send them on their way, maybe also give them some food.

DA | YT | In the navy, yes, you can put your mind at ease.
Old May 4th, 2013, 04:38 PM
Sammi
I change my usertitle as often as PC changes slogans
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
I'd be far too afraid and paranoid to let them stay. I'd probably try to do what I could, but I hardly like people I know staying over at my house -- I wouldn't let a stranger. Just no way.
Old May 4th, 2013, 05:37 PM
Sweets Witch
I just love ham jerky.

Nature: Adamant
No, and I'll gladly suffer life's consequences for it because the scenario is horribly against my favor. I am living alone, which means this person could easily kill me or rob me blind. If the person in question is 100% trustworthy, then the situation is problematic because there is no set time limit on when they'll be leaving. Even if they were trustworthy and only wanted to spend the night, then I'd STILL say no because I'm as much of a stranger to them as they are to me and they could ask somebody else just as easily.
Old May 4th, 2013, 05:40 PM
ANARCHit3cht

Always. Not having a bed to rest your head at night is one of the worst things ever. Obviously it couldn't be forever, but I'd let him crash a few days and even help get him back up on his feet. The world could do with a little more hospitality in my opinion.
Old May 4th, 2013, 05:42 PM
LilJz
Zoeeyyyyy! ♥
Community Supporter

I would say. ID give, now. Don't have? Let's go to the police to figure out who you are. If you're a burglar trying to steal my money, I'll laugh at you and search with you. Basically, if he try any funny business, I'll break his legs. Most likely I would say no anyways and to go to the nearest homeless shelter.
Old May 4th, 2013, 06:32 PM
Broken_Arrow
Paper plane~

Nature: Careful
Send a message via Skype™ to Broken_Arrow
i wouldn't let them stay because simply i wouldn't trust them But i'll do what i can to help them...after all i'm a girl and living a lone..i need to take care of myself and safety too!can you blame me?? i think no..and even if you blamed me i won't care cuz it won't change anything..stranger is danger.

Old May 4th, 2013, 06:47 PM
Aurora
please help to bang crunch

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Aurora
As I have no idea who in the world this person is, and because I don't usually interact with foreign people (in the sense of "never seen X person before" foreign), I wouldn't allow this person into my house. I wouldn't know what they would do once allowed inside, and once you allow somebody suspicious into your house, you have to go to the trouble to get them out. I'd probably just go quiet and wait for them to relocate themselves.

server modblogmy lovely pair <3twitterfighting for social justice • skype me: auroracr9826
Old May 4th, 2013, 07:29 PM
Brynjolf
It's so overt it's covert

I can usually tell if someone's gonna try and do something bad to me.. So if I feel like they're gonna try and steal something, then no.

It just depends. They're a stranger
Old May 4th, 2013, 08:59 PM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
It all depends on the vibes I get from the person. Although I'd be likely to turn them away based on the fact that they're a complete stranger, I'd at least give them some food and ask them to explain their story to me. If the story came with the promise from me that I'd let them stay the night, I'd have to think about it, but I'd probably let them stay.
It just depends on what vibes I get, how they present themselves, etc. I don't want to be heartless and send them on their merry way, but if I feel like there's something sinister going on, I will close the door on them instantly.
Old May 4th, 2013, 10:00 PM
Brendino
#fpt2014

If it were me, I'd try to at least get a little backstory on why they're in that situation before I even thought about letting them in. If they're speaking in a sincere tone of voice, and have a story that seems to check out, I might invite them in for a few minutes. There'd be a very slim chance that I'd actually let them spend a single night, let alone any more than that, but I'd at least try to help them figure out a plan of attack, as I've had close family members in a similar situation before.

Favorite Pokémon Tournament 2014: BUG // ROCK
Old May 4th, 2013, 10:05 PM
awolfsquared
I like to do 'Garfield Mondays'
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to awolfsquared
That's a pretty hard question. Due to the good morals and value I was raised to have, I'd feel bad if I didn't help him . I wouldn't want to come off rude and throw him out immediately. Though then again, I also can't trust everyone. Who knows what they could be planning? They could be dangerous and might want to kill me so I I wouldn't want them to be in my home long. If they look like they're trustworthy and I get that good vibe from them, I'll let them stay for a while , one night at most ,and then help him with a plan. If he seems too suspicious to me , I'd tell him nicely I can't allow him to stay but I'd do something such as give him some money or the address to a homeless shelter. Either way, I'd try to help them somehow.

"I have no idea what I'm doing. but I know I'm doing it really, really well."- Andy Dwyer
DeviantArt | Tumblr | Art Gallery | Ask Me Stuff | Paired to
Old May 4th, 2013, 11:16 PM
Cassiopeiia
Floating

Nature: Bashful
To be honest, it would depend on the person outside my door, whether he/she would be frightening to me or not. As much as I'd like to help this poor soul, I would definitely feel uncomfortable with letting a total stranger into my home. And I wouldn't want to be robbed either, or worse. Maybe if it was a feeble little girl, or some other unthreatening character, would I let them in,
in spite of my guts yelling "noo!". I would, anyhow, try helping them in some way or another. Probably. *~*
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here