• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Pokemon C# Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

iTeruri

iAm
Years
That's what we call irony, ladies and gentlemen.

You are making a fool of yourself. First it turns out you reused code. I'm all for reusing code, but also for giving credit where credit is due. If you were upfront in saying that you reused some code, and the creators of that code are okay with it, that's fine. But then you say that you don't want your code to be reused.

If people can't use any of your code, you shouldn't use any code not written by yourself. It's that simple. You cannot claim ownership on somebody elses code like that.

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
Like I said, think whatever you want of me but I've got almost a thousand people following my work, I could care less about what a few people think of me. I refuse to show my source code because I want this to be my project and I fear that some master of C# may pick it up and render me irrelevant.

If you're as good as you think you wouldn't be rendered irrelevant. Secondly, how are you gonna create a pokemon engine and not be willing to release it open source, its not like you have any legal rights to the code. The more you go on and on and are reluctant to release the code it make me think your hiding something.

Do what you want ultimately its up to you. But even if you come out with something stable you might lose alot of potential users because they will think the engine is not yours.

Also I gotta ask, where do you come up with your numbers? over 1000 followers? Really? how did you get that statistic..

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
Also I gotta ask, where do you come up with your numbers? over 1000 followers? Really? how did you get that statistic..

/r/pokesharp on reddit

Also, I have agreed to send the source code to Maruno, which he will compare with Pokemon Dawn; He is trusted on Pokecommunity and I know he will not release the source or do anything with it. I will send it to him soon, I was doing some major code cleanup yesterday

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
This is true. So until I've had a chance to look oxysoft's code over and reach a verdict, any more posts about the matter at all by anyone will be infracted as spam.

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2015
*waiting game* Tick tock.

I hope this turns out to be ok.
I'm really looking forward to using it.

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2015
Hey.
Oxysoft just sent me his complete source code and I tried to figure out how much was actually copied and how much is actually his work.

As it turned out, I was a little bit to harsh on my opinion on oxysoft and I really thought, he just copy & pasted most of the code. PokeSharp is actually based on the Pokemon Dawn Engine and most of its code, even though nearly everything got renamed and refactored, but the huge difference is, that he actually thought about the code and how it works. He read into over 500 classes and figured out how to change and extend the code and even seperated some parts of the engine.

I think "Inspiration from Pokemon Dawn" is credit enough, as he really just uses some parts of the engine and thought about the code in a really deep way not just pasting everything.

Greetings,
Chris

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
That's the same conclusion I came to. While there were some bits of code which were simply copied from Dawn, much of it was obviously different and was either new or significantly adapted.

Since Dawn's creator Krissel has no problems here, neither do I, and neither should anyone else. There's still the issue that Oxysoft didn't give proper credit to the Dawn engine from the start, but it's there now so I suppose that'll do.

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
That's the same conclusion I came to. While there were some bits of code which were simply copied from Dawn, much of it was obviously different and was either new or significantly adapted.

Since Dawn's creator Krissel has no problems here, neither do I, and neither should anyone else. There's still the issue that Oxysoft didn't give proper credit to the Dawn engine from the start, but it's there now so I suppose that'll do.

Thats very good to hear i'll be looking forward to the next update

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2015
Can't wait for the next update.
Glad you got this whole coding mess sorted out!

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
During this whole ordeal, I made this tool for entities when mass placing is required like for a forest or a bunch of trees.

b1g09wP.png

TstDYpH.png

Barry

Pokémon Trainer
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 16, 2018
I don't know how I am just now finding out about this, but I am thrilled to see this at work. I just came across it over on Ragezone, then found it over here. Looks great so far. That's the best map editor I've ever seen.

socko

[i]VERY ANGER!!![/i]
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 18, 2020
I just saw the first page, and I was blown away. I was looking at pg 3 onwards, and thought "this thing is dead now..." but then, out of the ashes, it revived! like a phoenix. Few such things ever happen. People just lose inspiration to make their things after being accused and pushed to a corner like that. This is a miracle map editor (Prolly should change the name to that :P) and let's all hope it gets finished ^^

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
Vacations are here. I should be able to get a lot of work done in the next 2 months. I already started working on the main engine and I have written a font renderer as well as a fast menu screen for testing. The font renderer already has 3 fonts to work with but you can also implement your own. Unfortunately, I have not provided any way to change the character table but I will most likely add this when I have time, it should not take long.

Here is a picture displaying all three fonts with every single characters for each one of them.
39WxO

And here are two pictures of the new menu
3lLAU.png

3lLBo.png

All three boxes will start a new game in a random map, there is no game saving ability for now and there won't be for a while, doing the essential first.

The boxes when selected turn green and flash yellow every seconds, exactly like in the real game.

Other than that, I finally made it possible to dump the game from the map editor into an actual game file which the engine can read but can't be loaded in the map editor. (File that is released for others to play, not an actual map editor project)

The engine can already read the game file. Here is a map I made in the map editor and is being rendered in the game

3lLHf.png

Next up: animations and player

Last edited:

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2015
Loving the updates.
I'm actually considering switching to this once it's released!

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2015
In the final release, will it be possible to have 3D models?
For buildings and such, but still using 2D overworld Sprites?
Live Gen IV/V?

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
In the final release, will it be possible to have 3D models?
For buildings and such, but still using 2D overworld Sprites?
Live Gen IV/V?

Sorry but no. A good portion of the engine related to entities and the map would have to be reprogrammed and reworked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back