The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.


Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #24876    
Old May 4th, 2013, 08:33 PM
Elaitenstile's Avatar
Elaitenstile
➜is not the last B E A C O N
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Send a message via Skype™ to Elaitenstile

Advertise here
Uh, just thought I'd pop in with a question.

Does anyone know the list of "suggested" names of the hero and heroine in Pokémon FireRed? Like the ones generated by the Professor if we leave our name blank? I just need the text, and then I can shoot out the offsets with a text editor...
__________________
➜deviantART

Previously known as Elaitenstile 
  #24877    
Old May 5th, 2013, 05:11 AM
karatekid552's Avatar
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
Gender: Male
Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by ★Hoenn★ View Post
Uh, just thought I'd pop in with a question.

Does anyone know the list of "suggested" names of the hero and heroine in Pokémon FireRed? Like the ones generated by the Professor if we leave our name blank? I just need the text, and then I can shoot out the offsets with a text editor...
Look at the end of the quick research thread in R&D. There is a post by Knizz about skipping parts of the intro and the default names are listed. I don't know about the suggested names, but you could probably find the offsets with A-text.
__________________

Paired with Simba
  #24878    
Old May 5th, 2013, 07:02 AM
LaDestitute's Avatar
LaDestitute
Razor Sharp
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: West Coast, USA
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
I found the names via Advance Text, via search.
Searching names like GARY and GREEN brings them up.
  #24879    
Old May 5th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Besj08's Avatar
Besj08
Unhatched Egg
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Vernon, CT
Gender: Male
Nature: Modest
Send a message via AIM to Besj08
Hello fellow pokecommunity'ers

I have a question that ive tried to look up and i sadly cant find the answer to, it would be helpful if someone can at least give me possible reasons for what im doing wrong. Im starting a hack just to test my abilities and any help would be greatly appreciated.

I recently started tile inserting. Im pretty good at it, So far ive added trees, grass, the ground and i tried to add a house to my hack. everything seemed fine until i warped through the door and got this ( see attachment at bottom)

For some reason, the tiles around the door show the door animation and it doesnt go away. Again, any suggestions would be very helpful.

your friend, Besj08
Attached Images
File Type: png pokemon screen capture.PNG‎ (4.3 KB, 19 views) (Save to Dropbox)
__________________
Im Owner Of

  #24880    
Old May 5th, 2013, 03:59 PM
karatekid552's Avatar
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
Gender: Male
Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Besj08 View Post
Hello fellow pokecommunity'ers

I have a question that ive tried to look up and i sadly cant find the answer to, it would be helpful if someone can at least give me possible reasons for what im doing wrong. Im starting a hack just to test my abilities and any help would be greatly appreciated.

I recently started tile inserting. Im pretty good at it, So far ive added trees, grass, the ground and i tried to add a house to my hack. everything seemed fine until i warped through the door and got this ( see attachment at bottom)

For some reason, the tiles around the door show the door animation and it doesnt go away. Again, any suggestions would be very helpful.

your friend, Besj08
This is kind of funny, becuase just on the last page of this thread, this same type of thing happened with a rom base. Look for posts by Gyrath and then an answer by Banjora Marxvile and there you shall find your answer.
__________________

Paired with Simba
  #24881    
Old May 5th, 2013, 07:09 PM
Gyrath's Avatar
Gyrath
Pokemon Lurid Creator
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Western Australia.
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
This is kind of funny, becuase just on the last page of this thread, this same type of thing happened with a rom base. Look for posts by Gyrath and then an answer by Banjora Marxvile and there you shall find your answer.
I still haven't been able to fix this problem. Im seriously thinking of just starting over because of this
__________________
I see a red door and I want it painted black.
  #24882    
Old May 6th, 2013, 01:54 AM
Banjora Marxvile's Avatar
Banjora Marxvile
Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da
 
Join Date: May 2008
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Lonely
Remember, ROM Bases are only meant to be a base to start on, you could start again and just copy and paste the tiles over into a clean ROM, and being careful by keeping an eye out for when the tiles mess up with that animation appearing (by keeping back ups so you know exactly what areas not to use), and you may be fine using it like that.
__________________

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
Numb for pretentious pain
As he spins the wheel
There's no loss nor no gain...


Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
Like Campari and Champagne
I'm on the rocks
Please tell me, What Is My Name?

  #24883    
Old May 6th, 2013, 06:17 AM
Manderek's Avatar
Manderek
Unhatched Egg
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Gender: Male
Hey guys,

I'm not ready yet to post urls or pics, so this post might look a bit vague... Anyhow I'm hacking Ruby and encountered a small problem. I tried changing the intro screen (press start) at first following the tut:

"[Graphics] Hacking Ruby Title Screen Completely Step by Step" from ADLFM14 but my colors didn't show up. So I decided to take an 'easier' tut (without the tile-editing), namely:

"Advanced Ruby title screen editing" from Epsilon.

I followed all the steps in his tut, and used the Tropius palette for my title screen btw. I also changed the palette for the given offset using APE, to the palette I exported using unLZ. In my title screen, I also made sure the color which should be transparent, is replacing the transparent color on the Groudon-default-title screen. Now the problem is, as you might guess, that the title screen shows up with different colors. I'm still doubting if it's the Groudon palette, or the palette it should be, only with colors 'mixed up'. I think it's the last one.

Mods, if this is not allowed please say so, but here's a (indirect) link to my title screen:

img268.imageshackDOTus/img268/7461/titleweird.png

Hope you guys can help me. Thanks in advance.
  #24884    
Old May 6th, 2013, 06:51 AM
karatekid552's Avatar
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
Gender: Male
Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manderek View Post
Hey guys,

I'm not ready yet to post urls or pics, so this post might look a bit vague... Anyhow I'm hacking Ruby and encountered a small problem. I tried changing the intro screen (press start) at first following the tut:

"[Graphics] Hacking Ruby Title Screen Completely Step by Step" from ADLFM14 but my colors didn't show up. So I decided to take an 'easier' tut (without the tile-editing), namely:

"Advanced Ruby title screen editing" from Epsilon.

I followed all the steps in his tut, and used the Tropius palette for my title screen btw. I also changed the palette for the given offset using APE, to the palette I exported using unLZ. In my title screen, I also made sure the color which should be transparent, is replacing the transparent color on the Groudon-default-title screen. Now the problem is, as you might guess, that the title screen shows up with different colors. I'm still doubting if it's the Groudon palette, or the palette it should be, only with colors 'mixed up'. I think it's the last one.

Mods, if this is not allowed please say so, but here's a (indirect) link to my title screen:

img268.imageshackDOTus/img268/7461/titleweird.png

Hope you guys can help me. Thanks in advance.
Spoiler:


Here is the image for those who are lazy:p.

1) Your tilemap may have had the palettes screwed up when drawing in NTME. Did you play with the palette tab on the bottom?

2) You inserted an UNcompressed palette instead of a compressed one, or vice versa. I ca't remember which it is, but I'm pretty sure it is compressed.
__________________

Paired with Simba
  #24885    
Old May 6th, 2013, 09:41 AM
Manderek's Avatar
Manderek
Unhatched Egg
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Gender: Male
@KarateKid
I didn't edit the tilemap, so I guess that should be fine. Which means the second option you gave should be my problem.

I checked the tropius sprite in unLZ for this rom and noticed it's mixed colors as well :s
At this part, I don't know exactly what's gone wrong, since I basicly followed Epsilon's tut (which is quite incompletely, I think, but okay)

I guess I'll try the whole thing over again! If it won't work out, I'll let you know...
  #24886    
Old May 6th, 2013, 10:29 AM
LaDestitute's Avatar
LaDestitute
Razor Sharp
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: West Coast, USA
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Try this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfgreH8doCQ

Last edited by LaDestitute; May 6th, 2013 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Wrong link
  #24887    
Old May 6th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Branellope's Avatar
Branellope
THIS. IS. SEMPITERNAL.
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Manchester, England
Age: 19
Gender: Female
Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Branellope
How do I change how types work? I want to add a new type. Oh yeah, is it a good idea to replace ??? type?
__________________
Watch this wicked Pokémon Battle, and PM me if you want a battle. Also watch me talking about how I flirted with famous people.
"A good trainer wins despite hinderances" - Serebii
"I can't drown my demons, they know how to swim" - Bring Me The Horizon - Can You Feel My Heart
  #24888    
Old May 6th, 2013, 12:30 PM
miksy91's Avatar
miksy91
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: A small country in the North
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Branellope View Post
How do I change how types work? I want to add a new type. Oh yeah, is it a good idea to replace ??? type?
Koolboyman has posted documentation for changing the type strength/weakness system (for every game up to Gen IV) in Research & Development section I think. You could start off by looking for that thread there.
__________________
My Rom Hack



Hacks I support





Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
  #24889    
Old May 7th, 2013, 11:12 AM
GoGoJJTech's Avatar
GoGoJJTech
アルファ近く
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Earth
Age: 15
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Does anyone know how to remove the help system from FR without removing the titlescreen?
__________________
  #24890    
Old May 7th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Thomasco2013's Avatar
Thomasco2013
Certified Mimiga Protector
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: United States
Age: 14
Gender: Male
1. Programming running shoes in pokemon gold?

2. Add a new title screen to pokemon gold?

Even a link would be great!

Last edited by Thomasco2013; May 7th, 2013 at 05:24 PM. Reason: One more question.....
  #24891    
Old May 7th, 2013, 10:29 PM
miksy91's Avatar
miksy91
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: A small country in the North
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasco2013 View Post
1. Programming running shoes in pokemon gold?
Can be accomplished with a small asm hack that replaces bike with the ability to walk with bike's speed while having B button pressed down.
There is a document in Research and Development section by Koolboyman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasco2013 View Post
2. Add a new title screen to pokemon gold?
Just like Running Shoes, has to do with doing a little bit of asm editing to locate the title screen elsewhere and such. You'll find tutorials in Skeetendo Inc. (hax.iimarck.us).

That's all about it
__________________
My Rom Hack



Hacks I support





Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
  #24892    
Old May 8th, 2013, 09:05 AM
Yoshimad123's Avatar
Yoshimad123
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: England
Nature: Naive
I've looked for this everywhere and I can't find anything.
I want to create an item similar to BlackGlasses and Charcoal - a hold item that boosts a certain kind of attack.
I'm trying to create an item that boosts the power of punching-based moves, but how would I do that? I've added the item and given it a description and everything, I just haven't figured out how to actually make it do something.


(this is for FireRed)
  #24893    
Old May 8th, 2013, 09:48 AM
~Anbuja's Avatar
~Anbuja
Let's Keep It Simple
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: In Snorlax Stomach
Gender: Male
Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to ~Anbuja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Besj08 View Post
Hello fellow pokecommunity'ers

I have a question that ive tried to look up and i sadly cant find the answer to, it would be helpful if someone can at least give me possible reasons for what im doing wrong. Im starting a hack just to test my abilities and any help would be greatly appreciated.

I recently started tile inserting. Im pretty good at it, So far ive added trees, grass, the ground and i tried to add a house to my hack. everything seemed fine until i warped through the door and got this ( see attachment at bottom)

For some reason, the tiles around the door show the door animation and it doesnt go away. Again, any suggestions would be very helpful.

your friend, Besj08

Just open your ROM in amap, go to the block editor and save the tileset where the house is and save it wherever you want.
After this open the tileset in MSpaint or any other image editing program you are using.
Just take the bottom of the houses that are glitched from the place where theyre at in the tileset, and place them somewhere else in the tileset.
Reload it through the block editor in Amap and edit the blocks again.

There you go.
__________________
  #24894    
Old May 8th, 2013, 09:52 AM
karatekid552's Avatar
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
Gender: Male
Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anbuja's_BlooDY View Post
Just open your ROM in amap, go to the block editor and save the tileset where the house is and save it wherever you want.
After this open the tileset in MSpaint or any other image editing program you are using.
Just take the bottom of the houses that are glitched from the place where theyre at in the tileset, and place them somewhere else in the tileset.
Reload it through the block editor in Amap and edit the blocks again.

There you go.
I was more or less trying to make the point that people need to search this thread. With almost 25,000 posts, most questions have already been dealt with.
__________________

Paired with Simba
  #24895    
Old May 8th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Thomasco2013's Avatar
Thomasco2013
Certified Mimiga Protector
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: United States
Age: 14
Gender: Male
Also, (all this for pokemon gold)

1. How to edit battle sprites?

2. Add Gen 3 pokemon to gold but not overlapping preexisting pokemon?

3. Edit that screen that say gamefreak.

Last edited by Thomasco2013; May 8th, 2013 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Another question......
  #24896    
Old May 8th, 2013, 01:28 PM
LaDestitute's Avatar
LaDestitute
Razor Sharp
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: West Coast, USA
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
1. I believe there are some GBC tools that can do this. Search/google.
2. You can't really add more than 256 Pokemon without overwriting existing ones, or repointing tables and such, which is very complicated and hard. Just ask Jambo, he knows, but that's for GBA. What I'm saying with my later statement is that it's so hard to do, that Jambo is the only dude to do it yet, even for GBA.
3. Graphic editing programs, I believe, other than hex editing.
  #24897    
Old May 8th, 2013, 02:21 PM
venn177
Unhatched Egg
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
So I'm importing new Pokemon from generations 4 and 5 into Fire Red and I'm wondering how you edit a Pokemon's icon? It doesn't seem to be the same way you edit their battlesprites, so just wondering how to access them for editing.

Thanks!
  #24898    
Old May 8th, 2013, 02:29 PM
GoGoJJTech's Avatar
GoGoJJTech
アルファ近く
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Earth
Age: 15
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Use wichu's advanced series. Its in the toolbox
__________________
  #24899    
Old May 8th, 2013, 02:29 PM
karatekid552's Avatar
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
Gender: Male
Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by venn177 View Post
So I'm importing new Pokemon from generations 4 and 5 into Fire Red and I'm wondering how you edit a Pokemon's icon? It doesn't seem to be the same way you edit their battlesprites, so just wondering how to access them for editing.

Thanks!
Download the "Advance Series" by Wichu. It has a very good icon editor in it. Just FYI, the import button is in the File menu. (Most people can't find it:p)
__________________

Paired with Simba
  #24900    
Old May 8th, 2013, 10:55 PM
miksy91's Avatar
miksy91
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: A small country in the North
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaDestitute View Post
2. You can't really add more than 256 Pokemon without overwriting existing ones, or repointing tables and such, which is very complicated and hard. Just ask Jambo, he knows, but that's for GBA. What I'm saying with my later statement is that it's so hard to do, that Jambo is the only dude to do it yet, even for GBA.
Actually, you can add as much pokemon in a G/S/C game as you like (rom and ram size limits are actually the only restrictions there). But let's say, if you don't need Pokedex in the game, there could be quite a lot.

Koolboyman introduced a general, fully implementable, way of adding another set of 256 pokemon in gsc, without having to replace that much of the original in-game coding. If I had to guess, I'd say that there are +500 pokemon in Prism (his hack), but not more than those (512, or actually, 510 if one (1FE) is reserved for Egg and another (1FF) is "end-of-list" check value).

Jambo is a very good programmer and hacker in general. You're totally right about that and I agree with you. And it's also true that only the most talented rom hackers around (there aren't many of them still around in Pokecommunity, if any besides him) could go for doing an engine hack as significant as his 649-patch. But saying that "it's so hard to do that Jambo is the only dude to do it" is just totally wrong.

If Jambo you're reading this, I wasn't insulting you in any way here, just stating out facts (and same goes for you, LaDestitute, too).
Because actually, you feel like a pretty bright guy to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasco2013 View Post
3. Edit that screen that say gamefreak.
Tile Molester will do (if it has 1BPP mode that is). If not, use Tile Layer Pro.
__________________
My Rom Hack



Hacks I support





Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations

Last edited by miksy91; May 8th, 2013 at 11:01 PM.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links


Advertise here
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 03:32 PM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.