The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 4th, 2013, 08:33 PM
Elaitenstile
➜is not the last B E A C O N

Send a message via Skype™ to Elaitenstile

Advertise here
Uh, just thought I'd pop in with a question.

Does anyone know the list of "suggested" names of the hero and heroine in Pokémon FireRed? Like the ones generated by the Professor if we leave our name blank? I just need the text, and then I can shoot out the offsets with a text editor...

Previously known as Elaitenstile 
Old May 5th, 2013, 05:11 AM
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by ★Hoenn★ View Post
Uh, just thought I'd pop in with a question.

Does anyone know the list of "suggested" names of the hero and heroine in Pokémon FireRed? Like the ones generated by the Professor if we leave our name blank? I just need the text, and then I can shoot out the offsets with a text editor...
Look at the end of the quick research thread in R&D. There is a post by Knizz about skipping parts of the intro and the default names are listed. I don't know about the suggested names, but you could probably find the offsets with A-text.

Paired with Simba
Old May 5th, 2013, 07:02 AM
LaDestitute
Razor Sharp

Nature: Calm
I found the names via Advance Text, via search.
Searching names like GARY and GREEN brings them up.
Old May 5th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Besj08
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Modest
Send a message via AIM to Besj08
Hello fellow pokecommunity'ers

I have a question that ive tried to look up and i sadly cant find the answer to, it would be helpful if someone can at least give me possible reasons for what im doing wrong. Im starting a hack just to test my abilities and any help would be greatly appreciated.

I recently started tile inserting. Im pretty good at it, So far ive added trees, grass, the ground and i tried to add a house to my hack. everything seemed fine until i warped through the door and got this ( see attachment at bottom)

For some reason, the tiles around the door show the door animation and it doesnt go away. Again, any suggestions would be very helpful.

your friend, Besj08
Attached Images
File Type: png pokemon screen capture.PNG‎ (4.3 KB, 19 views) (Save to Dropbox)

Old May 5th, 2013, 03:59 PM
karatekid552

Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Besj08 View Post

I have a question that ive tried to look up and i sadly cant find the answer to, it would be helpful if someone can at least give me possible reasons for what im doing wrong. Im starting a hack just to test my abilities and any help would be greatly appreciated.

I recently started tile inserting. Im pretty good at it, So far ive added trees, grass, the ground and i tried to add a house to my hack. everything seemed fine until i warped through the door and got this ( see attachment at bottom)

For some reason, the tiles around the door show the door animation and it doesnt go away. Again, any suggestions would be very helpful.

your friend, Besj08
This is kind of funny, becuase just on the last page of this thread, this same type of thing happened with a rom base. Look for posts by Gyrath and then an answer by Banjora Marxvile and there you shall find your answer.

Paired with Simba
Old May 5th, 2013, 07:09 PM
Gyrath
Pokemon Lurid Creator

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
This is kind of funny, becuase just on the last page of this thread, this same type of thing happened with a rom base. Look for posts by Gyrath and then an answer by Banjora Marxvile and there you shall find your answer.
I still haven't been able to fix this problem. Im seriously thinking of just starting over because of this
Old May 6th, 2013, 01:54 AM
Banjora Marxvile
Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da

Nature: Lonely
Remember, ROM Bases are only meant to be a base to start on, you could start again and just copy and paste the tiles over into a clean ROM, and being careful by keeping an eye out for when the tiles mess up with that animation appearing (by keeping back ups so you know exactly what areas not to use), and you may be fine using it like that.

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
Numb for pretentious pain
As he spins the wheel
There's no loss nor no gain...

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
Like Campari and Champagne
I'm on the rocks
Please tell me, What Is My Name?

Old May 6th, 2013, 06:17 AM
Manderek
Unhatched Egg

Hey guys,

I'm not ready yet to post urls or pics, so this post might look a bit vague... Anyhow I'm hacking Ruby and encountered a small problem. I tried changing the intro screen (press start) at first following the tut:

"[Graphics] Hacking Ruby Title Screen Completely Step by Step" from ADLFM14 but my colors didn't show up. So I decided to take an 'easier' tut (without the tile-editing), namely:

"Advanced Ruby title screen editing" from Epsilon.

I followed all the steps in his tut, and used the Tropius palette for my title screen btw. I also changed the palette for the given offset using APE, to the palette I exported using unLZ. In my title screen, I also made sure the color which should be transparent, is replacing the transparent color on the Groudon-default-title screen. Now the problem is, as you might guess, that the title screen shows up with different colors. I'm still doubting if it's the Groudon palette, or the palette it should be, only with colors 'mixed up'. I think it's the last one.

Mods, if this is not allowed please say so, but here's a (indirect) link to my title screen:

img268.imageshackDOTus/img268/7461/titleweird.png

Hope you guys can help me. Thanks in advance.
Old May 6th, 2013, 06:51 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manderek View Post
Hey guys,

I'm not ready yet to post urls or pics, so this post might look a bit vague... Anyhow I'm hacking Ruby and encountered a small problem. I tried changing the intro screen (press start) at first following the tut:

"[Graphics] Hacking Ruby Title Screen Completely Step by Step" from ADLFM14 but my colors didn't show up. So I decided to take an 'easier' tut (without the tile-editing), namely:

"Advanced Ruby title screen editing" from Epsilon.

I followed all the steps in his tut, and used the Tropius palette for my title screen btw. I also changed the palette for the given offset using APE, to the palette I exported using unLZ. In my title screen, I also made sure the color which should be transparent, is replacing the transparent color on the Groudon-default-title screen. Now the problem is, as you might guess, that the title screen shows up with different colors. I'm still doubting if it's the Groudon palette, or the palette it should be, only with colors 'mixed up'. I think it's the last one.

Mods, if this is not allowed please say so, but here's a (indirect) link to my title screen:

img268.imageshackDOTus/img268/7461/titleweird.png

Hope you guys can help me. Thanks in advance.
Spoiler:

Here is the image for those who are lazy:p.

1) Your tilemap may have had the palettes screwed up when drawing in NTME. Did you play with the palette tab on the bottom?

2) You inserted an UNcompressed palette instead of a compressed one, or vice versa. I ca't remember which it is, but I'm pretty sure it is compressed.

Paired with Simba
Old May 6th, 2013, 09:41 AM
Manderek
Unhatched Egg

@KarateKid
I didn't edit the tilemap, so I guess that should be fine. Which means the second option you gave should be my problem.

I checked the tropius sprite in unLZ for this rom and noticed it's mixed colors as well :s
At this part, I don't know exactly what's gone wrong, since I basicly followed Epsilon's tut (which is quite incompletely, I think, but okay)

I guess I'll try the whole thing over again! If it won't work out, I'll let you know...
Old May 6th, 2013, 10:29 AM
LaDestitute
Razor Sharp

Try this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfgreH8doCQ

Last edited by LaDestitute; May 6th, 2013 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Wrong link
Old May 6th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Branellope
THIS. IS. SEMPITERNAL.

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Branellope
How do I change how types work? I want to add a new type. Oh yeah, is it a good idea to replace ??? type?
Old May 6th, 2013, 12:30 PM
miksy91
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branellope View Post
How do I change how types work? I want to add a new type. Oh yeah, is it a good idea to replace ??? type?
Koolboyman has posted documentation for changing the type strength/weakness system (for every game up to Gen IV) in Research & Development section I think. You could start off by looking for that thread there.

Hacks I support

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
Old May 7th, 2013, 11:12 AM
GoGoJJTech
アルファ近く

Nature: Quiet
Does anyone know how to remove the help system from FR without removing the titlescreen?
Old May 7th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Thomasco2013
Certified Mimiga Protector

1. Programming running shoes in pokemon gold?

2. Add a new title screen to pokemon gold?

Even a link would be great!

Last edited by Thomasco2013; May 7th, 2013 at 05:24 PM. Reason: One more question.....
Old May 7th, 2013, 10:29 PM
miksy91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasco2013 View Post
1. Programming running shoes in pokemon gold?
Can be accomplished with a small asm hack that replaces bike with the ability to walk with bike's speed while having B button pressed down.
There is a document in Research and Development section by Koolboyman.

Quote:
2. Add a new title screen to pokemon gold?
Just like Running Shoes, has to do with doing a little bit of asm editing to locate the title screen elsewhere and such. You'll find tutorials in Skeetendo Inc. (hax.iimarck.us).

That's all about it

Hacks I support

Old May 8th, 2013, 09:05 AM
Yoshimad123

Nature: Naive
I've looked for this everywhere and I can't find anything.
I want to create an item similar to BlackGlasses and Charcoal - a hold item that boosts a certain kind of attack.
I'm trying to create an item that boosts the power of punching-based moves, but how would I do that? I've added the item and given it a description and everything, I just haven't figured out how to actually make it do something.

(this is for FireRed)
Old May 8th, 2013, 09:48 AM
~Anbuja
Let's Keep It Simple

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to ~Anbuja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Besj08 View Post

your friend, Besj08

Just open your ROM in amap, go to the block editor and save the tileset where the house is and save it wherever you want.
After this open the tileset in MSpaint or any other image editing program you are using.
Just take the bottom of the houses that are glitched from the place where theyre at in the tileset, and place them somewhere else in the tileset.
Reload it through the block editor in Amap and edit the blocks again.

There you go.
Old May 8th, 2013, 09:52 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anbuja's_BlooDY View Post
Just open your ROM in amap, go to the block editor and save the tileset where the house is and save it wherever you want.
After this open the tileset in MSpaint or any other image editing program you are using.
Just take the bottom of the houses that are glitched from the place where theyre at in the tileset, and place them somewhere else in the tileset.
Reload it through the block editor in Amap and edit the blocks again.

There you go.
I was more or less trying to make the point that people need to search this thread. With almost 25,000 posts, most questions have already been dealt with.

Paired with Simba
Old May 8th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Thomasco2013
Certified Mimiga Protector

Also, (all this for pokemon gold)

1. How to edit battle sprites?

2. Add Gen 3 pokemon to gold but not overlapping preexisting pokemon?

3. Edit that screen that say gamefreak.

Last edited by Thomasco2013; May 8th, 2013 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Another question......
Old May 8th, 2013, 01:28 PM
LaDestitute
Razor Sharp

1. I believe there are some GBC tools that can do this. Search/google.
2. You can't really add more than 256 Pokemon without overwriting existing ones, or repointing tables and such, which is very complicated and hard. Just ask Jambo, he knows, but that's for GBA. What I'm saying with my later statement is that it's so hard to do, that Jambo is the only dude to do it yet, even for GBA.
3. Graphic editing programs, I believe, other than hex editing.
Old May 8th, 2013, 02:21 PM
venn177
Unhatched Egg

So I'm importing new Pokemon from generations 4 and 5 into Fire Red and I'm wondering how you edit a Pokemon's icon? It doesn't seem to be the same way you edit their battlesprites, so just wondering how to access them for editing.

Thanks!
Old May 8th, 2013, 02:29 PM
GoGoJJTech
アルファ近く

Nature: Quiet
Use wichu's advanced series. Its in the toolbox
Old May 8th, 2013, 02:29 PM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by venn177 View Post
So I'm importing new Pokemon from generations 4 and 5 into Fire Red and I'm wondering how you edit a Pokemon's icon? It doesn't seem to be the same way you edit their battlesprites, so just wondering how to access them for editing.

Thanks!
Download the "Advance Series" by Wichu. It has a very good icon editor in it. Just FYI, the import button is in the File menu. (Most people can't find it:p)

Paired with Simba
Old May 8th, 2013, 10:55 PM
miksy91

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaDestitute View Post
2. You can't really add more than 256 Pokemon without overwriting existing ones, or repointing tables and such, which is very complicated and hard. Just ask Jambo, he knows, but that's for GBA. What I'm saying with my later statement is that it's so hard to do, that Jambo is the only dude to do it yet, even for GBA.
Actually, you can add as much pokemon in a G/S/C game as you like (rom and ram size limits are actually the only restrictions there). But let's say, if you don't need Pokedex in the game, there could be quite a lot.

Koolboyman introduced a general, fully implementable, way of adding another set of 256 pokemon in gsc, without having to replace that much of the original in-game coding. If I had to guess, I'd say that there are +500 pokemon in Prism (his hack), but not more than those (512, or actually, 510 if one (1FE) is reserved for Egg and another (1FF) is "end-of-list" check value).

Jambo is a very good programmer and hacker in general. You're totally right about that and I agree with you. And it's also true that only the most talented rom hackers around (there aren't many of them still around in Pokecommunity, if any besides him) could go for doing an engine hack as significant as his 649-patch. But saying that "it's so hard to do that Jambo is the only dude to do it" is just totally wrong.

If Jambo you're reading this, I wasn't insulting you in any way here, just stating out facts (and same goes for you, LaDestitute, too).
Because actually, you feel like a pretty bright guy to me

Quote:
3. Edit that screen that say gamefreak.
Tile Molester will do (if it has 1BPP mode that is). If not, use Tile Layer Pro.

Hacks I support

Last edited by miksy91; May 8th, 2013 at 11:01 PM.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here