The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates

Notices

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 10th, 2013, 06:59 PM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy

Advertise here
link

Quote:
The Hanging Gardens of Babylon, one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, weren't in Babylon at all - but were instead located 480km to the north in Babylon's greatest rival, Nineveh, according to a leading Oxford-based historian.

After more than 20 years of research, Dr Stephanie Dalley, of Oxford University's Oriental Institute, has pieced together enough evidence to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the famed gardens were built in Nineveh by the great Assyrian ruler Sennacherib - and not, as historians have always thought, by King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon.

Dalley first publicly proposed her idea that Nineveh, not Babylon, was the site of the gardens back in 1992, when her claim was reported in the Independent - but it has taken a further two decades to find enough evidence to prove it.
I think this is pretty interesting, especially as I thought people were still contending whether the gardens ever actually existed or not. Thoughts?
Old May 10th, 2013, 08:40 PM
Livewire
でんきタイプ

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Livewire
This is pretty cool. So I'm guessing then that Nebuchadnezzar sought the Gardens at point, took Ninevah, and then eventually History was rewritten to make it seem as though the gardens were purely Babylonian. Sounds about right.
Old May 10th, 2013, 10:33 PM
KingCharizard
C++ Developer Extraordinaire

Nature: Bold
Yea it could make sense since they never found any evidence of them in Babylon.
Old May 11th, 2013, 07:20 AM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

Nature: Quirky
So does this mean the name will be changes to the Hanging Gardens of Nineveh? Now about Atlantis...
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here