Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Art & Design
Notices

Art & Design For digital, traditional, design, photography and mixed media art, Pokémon-related or not. Showcase or discuss anything related to the visual arts here.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 14th, 2013, 03:14 PM
robin22gongon

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to robin22gongon
You should put something in there like bubbles or something. It just plainly looks like a pool of BLOOD....
LET'S PARTY!
Old April 14th, 2013, 04:32 PM
Harvey_Create
Pokemon Apex Team Member

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Harvey_Create
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin22gongon View Post
You should put something in there like bubbles or something. It just plainly looks like a pool of BLOOD....
Im working on alt detail tiles like bubbles, or little floating rocks.
This signature has been disabled.
Exceeds signature width limit (strictly 600 pixels or less).
Please review and fix the issues by reading the signature rules.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old April 17th, 2013, 01:20 AM
Demon Days
Element of Magic

Nature: Quiet

I would've made this and put it in the WPC, but it's fully scratch this time. Oh well.
Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you... Regigigas's Rock Peak Forme. Part recolour, part fusion, part scratch.

Apparently X/Y will introduce more fusing Pokémon or something, so it got me thinking that Regigigas formed the Regi trio out of itself. What if you were to fuse one of the Regis with Regigigas? Presumably, it'd turn Regigigas into part of its old look. So I made this. Will I make the Iceberg and Iron Formes? Maybe. Probably. Certainly. Whenever, however, is up to me. So, any thoughts?
oh hey is this a placeholder

Old April 19th, 2013, 12:03 PM
Japanda8190
*!-Pandachu-!*

Hey, I've made a pixel art Pikachu!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pickleTile.jpg‎ (2.5 KB, 187 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Thanks For Reading,
Sincerely,
Japanda8190
+ = Pandachu
I'm a ultra-rare Light-Blue panda so dont forget so say Rarghhhh (Pandanese for Hey)
Old April 19th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Logiedan
highly-functioning sociopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanda8190 View Post
Hey, I've made a pixel art Pikachu!
Read the rules next time; you need 4 sprites to qualify as a showcase. I recommend removing the black background too if it's a sprite and keep the outline.
pair: Sheep
【=◈︿◈=】
Old May 4th, 2013, 12:23 AM
Ęℓαчиıı
Scolipede

Nature: Adamant
May get some feedback on this sprite?

It's one of my fakes, Pispark. The little yellow nub between its legs is its tail, it wouldn't come out like the little bolt its supposed to be so, I just winged it. ; Anyways, I'm still learning how to properly sprite and I've gotten it down for the most part. I just have trouble getting the outlines right. Obviously. I've gotten quite a few helpful tips from people, but no matter how hard I try, I can never get it right. xD; Anyways, some constructive criticism is much appreciated.
Old May 4th, 2013, 12:36 AM
robin22gongon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ęℓαчиıı View Post
May get some feedback on this sprite?

It's one of my fakes, Pispark. The little yellow nub between its legs is its tail, it wouldn't come out like the little bolt its supposed to be so, I just winged it. ; Anyways, I'm still learning how to properly sprite and I've gotten it down for the most part. I just have trouble getting the outlines right. Obviously. I've gotten quite a few helpful tips from people, but no matter how hard I try, I can never get it right. xD; Anyways, some constructive criticism is much appreciated.
Well, here's my comment. His outline still looks messy. It looks dotted especially that part of his round head. It's so rough and looks a little distorted. (Like when you take a large sprite and resizing it without anti-aliasing). I suggest making it smoother. On the tail though, since it's an actual bolt (or I misunderstood it that it should just LOOK LIKE a Bolt like Pikachu's) shouldn't a light be illuminating from it? Or you can even try to make it a little longer to get the shape of a bolt even just a little. Also when I didn't read your post first and just cluelessly looked at your sprite, shhh.... I thought it was its di** Hahah!
LET'S PARTY!
Old May 4th, 2013, 01:41 AM
Ęℓαчиıı
Scolipede

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin22gongon View Post
Well, here's my comment. His outline still looks messy. It looks dotted especially that part of his round head. It's so rough and looks a little distorted. (Like when you take a large sprite and resizing it without anti-aliasing). I suggest making it smoother. On the tail though, since it's an actual bolt (or I misunderstood it that it should just LOOK LIKE a Bolt like Pikachu's) shouldn't a light be illuminating from it? Or you can even try to make it a little longer to get the shape of a bolt even just a little. Also when I didn't read your post first and just cluelessly looked at your sprite, shhh.... I thought it was its di** Hahah! :P :)
Hence why I mentioned it was a tail. ^^;

It's supposed to look like a lightning bolt, I should have elaborated on that. Here is a version where the head isn't outlined and I lengthened the tail. I can't make it longer, otherwise it wouldn't match up with the artwork.

Old May 4th, 2013, 03:25 AM
robin22gongon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ęℓαчиıı View Post
Hence why I mentioned it was a tail. ;

It's supposed to look like a lightning bolt, I should have elaborated on that. Here is a version where the head isn't outlined and I lengthened the tail. I can't make it longer, otherwise it wouldn't match up with the artwork.

Well, why not try this one? You really shouldn't save up palettes because you have all those sixteen slots all for your Pokemon.

You can modify that if you want. I'm just saying how it should be from my POV.
LET'S PARTY!
Old May 4th, 2013, 12:48 PM
Logiedan

The solid black outline isn't that great, I would recommend just using a really dark shade of the yellow you have to go into the B/W style. For example, look at your Thunboar in that mockup screenshot, it uses a lot of dark outline and colours to really capture the B/W style which I'm assuming.

I personally don't like the style of the eyes, you could always add some of the white apart from the pupil. Kind of like Wartortle's eyes:
【=◈︿◈=】
Old May 7th, 2013, 03:29 AM
Ęℓαчиıı
Scolipede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logiedan View Post
The solid black outline isn't that great, I would recommend just using a really dark shade of the yellow you have to go into the B/W style. For example, look at your Thunboar in that mockup screenshot, it uses a lot of dark outline and colours to really capture the B/W style which I'm assuming.

I personally don't like the style of the eyes, you could always add some of the white apart from the pupil. Kind of like Wartortle's eyes:
Thanks, you guys.

I redid the sprite as it was much too big. I took your advice about the eyes, and here is the result.

Also, here is another sprite I've done. The fire is supposed to be like it is, by the way. Here is Coalire.

Old May 7th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
You should make the brown part of its face brighter - it's hard to even distinguish the face from afar.
Old May 7th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Ęℓαчиıı
Scolipede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spherical Ice View Post
You should make the brown part of its face brighter - it's hard to even distinguish the face from afar.
Okay, how about this?

Old May 8th, 2013, 08:12 AM
LaDestitute
Razor Sharp

Nature: Calm
That looks good! Face looks much clearer now.

Sprites I whipped up for the obligatory early rodent and bird Pokemon of the region in my rom hack, Chiquail and Chincul.

Old May 10th, 2013, 08:40 PM
Logiedan

The designs are great, especially Chiquail. Don't forget Pokemon spriters are facing southwest. And Chincul looks different from his backsprite and frontsprite mainly because the latter has a different body size and ears. The front looks like a koala while the back looks like a chipmunk/chinchilla.

I would say to make your face features and details more vivid and legible;this goes to both sprites.
【=◈︿◈=】
Old May 11th, 2013, 12:28 PM
ares10
I'm in The Marines, OOH RA

Nature: Brave
this is my attempt at making a Metroid O.W.

Hacks I support:

Last edited by ares10; May 11th, 2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old May 11th, 2013, 10:38 PM
Bryancct
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Relaxed
@LaDestitute, There's a part on Chincul's back and tail that goes up in a straight line, I suggest rounding it up a bit. Also what Logiedan mentioned about the front sprites facing southwest. Otherwise, they look really great and the design is well done.

Also, I did a little Zoroark resprite. Not really sure if I got all my shading & outlining right.
Attached Images
File Type: png zoroark_sprite_by_bryancct-d64qs9w.png‎ (2.2 KB, 119 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Old May 14th, 2013, 06:17 PM
LaDestitute
Razor Sharp

That looks very good. I think the pose is a bit odd, though.

More early Pokemon. The region's dog versions of Nidoran (Aromutt, male on left) and the region's electric rodent, Baybolt.

Note, while Baybolt is from scratch, both Aromutts are heavy edits made from existing dA sprites (godofthat for male Aromutt sprite, and poke-7 for female Aromutt sprite).

Last edited by LaDestitute; May 14th, 2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old May 18th, 2013, 05:14 AM
Superjub
Pokémon Aureolin
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Revamped some more old sprites~ C+C please and what-not. c:

Quick summary of the things I changed:
* Redid all the sprites- updating the palettes, smoothing them out a bit more etc.
* Added gems to all of them to make them more of a trio- before I thought that they didn't look "similar" enough. I have some kind of backstory for the gems too so yeah.
* Small changes on most of them- Titaneon has spikes coming out of his face, Terragon has some metal plate and body patterns etc.
* Updated the backsprites and brand new menu sprites.

Copied from dA because I'm lazy. :o

Terragon (terra & dragon)
The Horned Dragon Pokemon
"Terragon is the fastest Pokemon at burrowing in existence. It's said it helped shape the land."
Ability: Pressure/Sand Force (hidden ability)
----
Carcagon (carcass & dragon)
The Resurrection Pokemon
"These Pokemon lurk around graveyards, feasting on the souls of the deceased to become stronger."
Ability: Pressure/Levitate (hidden ability)
----
Titaneon (titanium & dragon)
The Metallic Dragon Pokemon
"Titaneon are covered in thick metal armour that is nearly impenetrable. Only the strongest attacks can damage it."
Ability: Pressure/Sheer Force (hidden ability)
----
These sprites can be used as long as you credit me. c:

Pokémon Aureolin

Old May 18th, 2013, 08:33 PM
Trainer Jun
Team Rocket Veteran Trainer

It's been a while since I've seen you post, Retribution. Though I haven't been doing much lurking lately... Anyway, I thought it fitting to post something I made around the time I started really doing trainer sprites.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/picture...ictureid=70626

It's Trainer Yellow. Bits of fusion, some scratch... I figure I'm just going to re-do her, anyway, so I might as well give people a Yellow to use, with proper crediting, of course.
Attached Images
File Type: png Yellow.png‎ (1.7 KB, 85 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Mapping, scripting, and even pixel art...

You are my inspiration.

What I support:
Old May 18th, 2013, 11:09 PM
Bryancct
Unhatched Egg

@Retribution

Terrragon: Maybe a bit too dithered? Although I do see that your personal style involves a lot of dithering, and third gen sprites (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/FireRed/LeafGreen) sometimes use dithering, but too much of it can take away from the "pokemon feel". The backsprite is very nice, and dithering is widely used in backsprites so it fits your style very well.

Carcagon: Its backsprite looks almost like it is facing right directly. Maybe hide the gem from view, since if it would be looking towards the upper right direction, I don't think we'd see the gem. And maybe reposition the "ears" like Titaneon's.

Titaneon (sounds like an eeveelution, lol): This one's my favorite among the three. The pose really works, considering it's very hard to come up with poses for snake-like bodies. Steel/metallic parts are really hard to manage, even I myself can't shade metal properly without using references like Skarmory or the Magnemite-line The face looks over-highlighted, seeing you used a highlight color and added another highlight (white) on top of that highlight color (see attached ok wow terrible example punches self I hope you see what I mean). Also, you might want to reconsider your palette, you can save up to 4-5 colors.

Overall, your fakemon concepts are really creative. You can do backsprites very well, but be careful with dithering for front sprites.

Again, these are all personal opinions and preferences. Keep on spriting, you're very good at it!
Attached Images
File Type: png retrib.png‎ (1.6 KB, 3 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Old May 19th, 2013, 05:06 AM
Superjub
Pokémon Aureolin
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainer Jun View Post
It's been a while since I've seen you post, Retribution. Though I haven't been doing much lurking lately... Anyway, I thought it fitting to post something I made around the time I started really doing trainer sprites.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/picture...ictureid=70626

It's Trainer Yellow. Bits of fusion, some scratch... I figure I'm just going to re-do her, anyway, so I might as well give people a Yellow to use, with proper crediting, of course.
Yeah, it's been a while. xD Real-life has kinda taking over atm lol, and if I do upload stuff it's usually to deviantArt. :x I really like the sprite though- you really managed to get in all the details and the anatomy is really good too. :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryancct View Post
@Retribution

Terrragon: Maybe a bit too dithered? Although I do see that your personal style involves a lot of dithering, and third gen sprites (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/FireRed/LeafGreen) sometimes use dithering, but too much of it can take away from the "pokemon feel". The backsprite is very nice, and dithering is widely used in backsprites so it fits your style very well.

Carcagon: Its backsprite looks almost like it is facing right directly. Maybe hide the gem from view, since if it would be looking towards the upper right direction, I don't think we'd see the gem. And maybe reposition the "ears" like Titaneon's.

Titaneon (sounds like an eeveelution, lol): This one's my favorite among the three. The pose really works, considering it's very hard to come up with poses for snake-like bodies. Steel/metallic parts are really hard to manage, even I myself can't shade metal properly without using references like Skarmory or the Magnemite-line The face looks over-highlighted, seeing you used a highlight color and added another highlight (white) on top of that highlight color (see attached ok wow terrible example punches self I hope you see what I mean). Also, you might want to reconsider your palette, you can save up to 4-5 colors.

Overall, your fakemon concepts are really creative. You can do backsprites very well, but be careful with dithering for front sprites.

Again, these are all personal opinions and preferences. Keep on spriting, you're very good at it!
Woah, in-depth cc. I like it! :D And yesh, Titaneon does sound a bit like an eeveelution but idk what I think to Titanagon- sounds a bit strange so I might come up with a completely different prefix.

Terragon: Yeah, the dithering is a bit extreme I figured it worked well with the sprite but I can always tone it down a bit and see how it looks. Thanks for the comment about the backsprites. :D

Carcagon: I noticed the backsprite looked like it was almost facing the player when doing it. It does kinda make it look a bit creepier, but I'll try hiding the gems and moving the eye forward anyway. I'll look into the ears too.

Titaneon: Thanks :D I think it might have been the first one I sprited so it's gone through a lot over the years lol. Yeah, when shading the more shiny metal parts I did have a bit of trouble- I think I looked at some references like Aggron and I couldn't find any 'sty'e I really wanted. :x If only there was another metal snake-like Pokemon... I'll try experimenting a bit more & I'll see if I can improve it. Yeah, the white highlight is a tad unnecessary when I look back at in in retrospect. Speaking of the palette, I bet there are a lot of extra colours- I remember when recolouring them for the shinies I found this. I might have to index the sprites too to narrow down the palette.

Thanks again for the comments. :D I might add some more detail to this post later when I have some more time.

Pokémon Aureolin

Old May 19th, 2013, 09:31 AM
ppooookkkkkkk
Banned

Nature: Gentle
Anyone care to look at ths:

Castorm, Feed back and criticism expected.

This was entirely made from scratch.
Old May 21st, 2013, 08:55 PM
Trainer Jun
Team Rocket Veteran Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retribution View Post
Yeah, it's been a while. xD Real-life has kinda taking over atm lol, and if I do upload stuff it's usually to deviantArt. :x I really like the sprite though- you really managed to get in all the details and the anatomy is really good too. :D
This is what happens when I REALLY want a sprite. And, since Yellow is my favorite trainer, I thought I'd do my VERY best. I'm glad you like it! :D I plan to do more in the very near future.
Mapping, scripting, and even pixel art...

You are my inspiration.

What I support:
Old May 30th, 2013, 05:52 AM
LaDestitute
Razor Sharp

The castform is just...ugh. Needs work. Work on the outlining, tail, and head.

From left to right: Hoppiler, Rollip, Suckeeto, Tuttby, and Coyoco.

Last edited by LaDestitute; May 30th, 2013 at 06:05 AM.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links