The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.

View Poll Results: Pick a starter.
Chespin 322 30.96%
Fennekin 536 51.54%
Froakie 295 28.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1040. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 10th, 2013 (06:27 AM).
PrimalDialgasaur
Primal Sauropod

Nature: Adamant
Even if they are fake, I LOVE that Fennekin final evo.
Old May 11th, 2013 (07:13 AM).
Bluerang1
pin pin

Nature: Relaxed
Shelled Chestnut Pokemon? Looks like Chespin's final evo will be Grass/Steel.
Old May 11th, 2013 (07:15 AM).
Forever
let it go

Not necessarily. Blastoise had a shell and it wasn't part Steel :x
Old May 11th, 2013 (07:31 AM).
KeyDrop

I really like all of them but Fennekin is amazing, I like him soo much, I hope gf doesn't ruin him with the evolutions.
Old May 11th, 2013 (08:26 AM).
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Zorogami
I don't think Chespin will be part Steel, I'm actually hoping for Ground or Rock as 2nd type.

~ Anything for my Nakama ~
Old May 11th, 2013 (10:29 AM).
Yoshi3645

Nature: Timid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
There wasn't even a steel type in Blastoise's time.
Old May 11th, 2013 (01:43 PM).
Thebuizel
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Timid
they look pretty cool i guess but i really dont like how they made the water type this time and i dont really like grass that much so i guess i have to choose fire this time but maybe i can get grass to if i buy both x and y
Old May 11th, 2013 (03:37 PM).
Dillon_68
Lover of Winter

Based on the description and the fact that Chespin learns Rollout, I'm starting to think Chespin's final evo might be a hard hitting, bulky, heavily armored Pokemon that's part Rock. Maybe with the following stats:

HP - Average
Atk - Above Average
Def - Above Average
Sp. Atk - Average
Sp. Def - Average
Speed - Below Average
Old May 11th, 2013 (05:51 PM).
Navarch

I'm really hoping for Grass/Rock on Chespin. I can see it being almost like a knight, with maybe big shoulders, long claws, and a tail with a ball with spikes. Keeping the hat though, with a horn.

As for Fennekin, I think it should be very feminine. Fire/Psychic would be best IMO. Hey, if Chespin is going to be knight like, why not make a "royal" theme with the starters? Anyway, I'm hoping that the fire hair comes out of it's ears and makes a necklace with a orb on it. With red markings on it's legs and two tails dipped with red. Keeping the tan coloring of the body.

This may suprise people, but I'm really, really, hoping for Water/Dragon on Froakie. It could be a king with fin like dragon things on it's head making a crown (Think of Dragonite's Wings, but smaller I guess). Then, a moustache with Dragon Whiskers, like Magikarp kind of. Huge cloud as as a tail (think Whimsicott maybe?), along with clouds around it's wrists. Can learn fly and floats on clouds. Has sharp edges on arms, a bit like Gabite, but thinner with two on each.
Old May 11th, 2013 (05:51 PM).
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
Steel type didn't exist then though. They coulda made him Steel in Gen 2, but I guess they didn't want to touch the starters since Magnemite fit better and was lesser used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebuizel View Post
they look pretty cool i guess but i really dont like how they made the water type this time and i dont really like grass that much so i guess i have to choose fire this time but maybe i can get grass to if i buy both x and y
Remember, we have a current tradition of them being Fire/Fighting. Froakie and Chespin are both looking incredibly awesome...I almost have to change my water only policy for Chespin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillon_68 View Post
Based on the description and the fact that Chespin learns Rollout, I'm starting to think Chespin's final evo might be a hard hitting, bulky, heavily armored Pokemon that's part Rock. Maybe with the following stats:

HP - Average
Atk - Above Average
Def - Above Average
Sp. Atk - Average
Sp. Def - Average
Speed - Below Average
OMGOMGOMG Rollout?! Good chance Chespin evolves into Grass/Rock then! OMG YAY! I almost want to pick it over Froakie now just cause Grass/Rock is freakin beast since it loses weakness to the other two!
Old May 11th, 2013 (05:58 PM).
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderO View Post
Remember, we have a current tradition of them being Fire/Fighting.
I'm not saying the possibility isn't there, but I really have a strong doubt that GameFreak will go the Fire/Fighting type route again, especially with Fennekin.

The more I learn about the starters though and their possibilities of secondary types, the more I like them. The idea of Chespin being Grass/Rock? Thats awesome! They've already given off a better impression that the starters from the last generation in my opinion. The same goes for the rest of Pokémon revealed recently too.
Old May 11th, 2013 (06:22 PM).
Khrysta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerilyn View Post
I'm not saying the possibility isn't there, but I really have a strong doubt that GameFreak will go the Fire/Fighting type route again, especially with Fennekin.

The more I learn about the starters though and their possibilities of secondary types, the more I like them. The idea of Chespin being Grass/Rock? Thats awesome! They've already given off a better impression that the starters from the last generation in my opinion. The same goes for the rest of Pokémon revealed recently too.
I'm on the other spectrum...I'm expecting Gamefreak to do Fire/Fighting again since its the better type combination used so far and don't see any reason to change that up now. People can complain all they want, but Fire/Fighting isn't a broken type combination in a good or bad way. Its pretty balanced.

We also didn't think Tepig could be Fire/Fighting but it was. So as far as expectations

Chespin Evo Grass/Rock
Fennekin Evo Fire/Fighting
Froakie Evo Water/Electric OR Water/Flying
Old May 11th, 2013 (10:57 PM).
Jimmys Pr
Unhatched Egg

I take Fennekin because I like most the type of fire and is more beudiful.
Old May 11th, 2013 (11:16 PM).
Tonymaster
Unhatched Egg

wow i love frokie. it looks so cool and cute! im diffidently choosing you
Old May 11th, 2013 (11:50 PM).
Bluerang1
pin pin

Or Rock. Armour could mean Rock too.

I should have said that in my original post haha.
Old May 12th, 2013 (12:56 AM).
C Payne
Hoenn in 3D!
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Calm
Quote:
I'm on the other spectrum...I'm expecting Gamefreak to do Fire/Fighting again since its the better type combination used so far and don't see any reason to change that up now. People can complain all they want, but Fire/Fighting isn't a broken type combination in a good or bad way. Its pretty balanced.

We also didn't think Tepig could be Fire/Fighting but it was. So as far as expectations

Chespin Evo Grass/Rock
It's not broken but it's pretty dumb if you ask me; they could at least try working with other combinations and/or instead give a Water/Grass starter Fighting for once. If they're going that route again I'd rather they just give all of the starters Fighting type as the secondary.

Source: http://pokemon-diamond.deviantart.co...-map-251951922
Old May 12th, 2013 (02:08 AM).
KeyDrop

I feel like this time one between frokie and chespin is going to become part fighting, while fennekin is going to be part psychic, that would be awesome
Old May 12th, 2013 (01:52 PM).
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter

Quote:

Chespin Evo Grass/Rock
Don't get me wrong, i love the Fire/Fighting type combo, it would just be extremely uncreative of GameFreak to have yet another Fire starter that will eventually have Fighting as his second type.
I love fire starters, and i really hope Fennekin to be something more original that what we have seen for the last 3 Generations. All the other combos you are speculating i can see happening as well, although i think Water/Flying is more likely.

Old May 12th, 2013 (11:27 PM).
Level-X
The Hasty Scizor

Nature: Hasty
Usually I don't go for the Grass Types, but in Gen. 5 I went with Snivy until I found out I like Oshawott better. But in this case, I really like Chespin's overall design, I hope it's evolutions look as cool as Chespin does, and hopefully their stats are pretty well too.

Old May 13th, 2013 (01:41 AM).
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter

Chespin is my favorite design-wise as well. I usually never pick the grass starter, but if his evolutions look as cool as he does and he gets a decent second type (hopefully rock or ground) it might be the first time I'll start my adventure with the Grass starter :D

Old May 13th, 2013 (03:00 AM).
SolarAbusoru
Go Go PokéRangers

I'm actually unsure who to use as my starter now, all 3 have now become equally adorable to me, it's hard to choose, I'll wait til the first gym leader is revealed so I can know how to get a good start

Lover of all things Pokémon and Nintendo, and Atlus
Signature Pokémon: Luxray
Old May 13th, 2013 (03:25 AM).
Hoenn
ロゼリア
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Hoenn
I've also grown to like all three over the last few months, at first Fennekin was a dead cert but now... I'm kinda torn.

Playtime : 35:03 | Badges : 6 | Pokédex : 69
Old May 13th, 2013 (04:35 AM).
kirbasaur
Human-Ivasaur hybrid

Nature: Hasty
go! chespin!

i have no clue y i like chespin so much

{Everything fainted}
Old May 13th, 2013 (05:42 AM).
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Quote:

Chespin Evo Grass/Rock
It may not be broken in a competive sense but it feel unoriginal now after three generations of Fire/Fighting. I hope they do something special with Fennekin even making it pure Fire like Typlosion.
Old May 13th, 2013 (06:14 AM).
Khrysta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaruby and Aquasapphire View Post
It may not be broken in a competive sense but it feel unoriginal now after three generations of Fire/Fighting. I hope they do something special with Fennekin even making it pure Fire like Typlosion.
Many unoriginal things have been used longer than fire/fighting. First route rat, early game regional birds, pikachu clones. These are ignored because they are "tradition" but its boring if they use a good type combination. Either complain about it all or don't. The others are way more annoying and Fire/fighting are used more than other starters. Majority of starters are low rank tiers and the two non fighting starters are bottom tier as well. All there are are lame excuses with worse or more annoying yet ignored repeats. If they're to be more original start with whats been the same for 5 generations now.

Fennekin is already at a high chance of being completely destroyed when the games come out. She can be fire/psychic with only physical moves. A physical attacker with only special moves. Horrible stats/move pool to make her unappealing much like Snivy when gen 5 was released. With fire/fighting at leadt she's practically guaranteed to be used more than the other two. Maybe about as much as infernape if she doesn't get a stat/movepool shafting. Chespin has the best potential if grass rock as his only worry will be the fire/fighting starters.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links