The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 3rd, 2013, 11:44 AM
Esper

Not what the plot is about or pop songs over the ending credits. I'm talking about those central pieces of the movie score.

What are some of your favorites? What do you think are some of the most iconic, well-recognized themes? What makes a good theme? What other questions should be in this post that I can't think of?

One of the best themes I've heard has got to be He's a Pirate from Pirates of the Caribbean. It's immediate recognizable, fun, and fits the movie perfectly. I can't say it's my absolute favorite, but it's up there in the top ten for sure.

deviantart blog pair
Old May 3rd, 2013, 11:48 AM
Passenger
Retired
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm

And what I've been searching for 3 YEARS!

Old May 3rd, 2013, 04:05 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Nature: Quiet
Just about everything John Williams has done
Old May 3rd, 2013, 06:33 PM
LilJz
Make me your Aphrodite
Community Supporter

Omg, He's a Pirate. Such a goooooood song! omg! xD

I also like the one of Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones, Back to the Future, Superman, Star Wars, Mission Impossible, GhostBusters and finally Rocky

I would say what makes a theme song so wonderful is that when you hear it, it automatically reminds of one specific movie. When you hear it, you start humming or singing along and a song that gives you the chills everytime you hear it because of how awesome it sounds. That's what defines an awesome theme song for me

And those are the most memorable ones I could remember for now, there's probably a ton more I've forgotten.
Old May 4th, 2013, 04:45 AM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilJz1234 View Post
Omg, He's a Pirate. Such a goooooood song! omg! xD

I also like the one of Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones, Back to the Future, Superman, Star Wars, Mission Impossible, GhostBusters and finally Rocky

I would say what makes a theme song so wonderful is that when you hear it, it automatically reminds of one specific movie. When you hear it, you start humming or singing along and a song that gives you the chills everytime you hear it because of how awesome it sounds. That's what defines an awesome theme song for me :)

And those are the most memorable ones I could remember for now, there's probably a ton more I've forgotten.
Ghostbusters has such an underrated score
Old May 10th, 2013, 12:49 AM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter Tier 4

Nature: Sassy
I'll just dump these lovely themes here:
Spoiler:

All such great scores, truly!

There are many, many more I could choose from, but I'll leave that up to you guys!
Also, just for the record, pretend I included everything Hans Zimmer has ever done, thanks.
Old May 10th, 2013, 03:07 AM
Azu
GAAOOOOOO!

Nature: Quirky
For disney lovers out here just like me *A*.
My favourite movie+soundtrack:

Spoiler:

Pairing buddy: Classic Sonic

- x -

Eeveelution Club Profile:
Username: Azu
First Partner: Leafeon
Second Partner:[None]

- x -
Old May 13th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Gold warehouse
peanut butter cake lover

I'd obviously pick my favourite score, from one of my favourite films, but honestly Blade Runner's score is just perfect.

John William's "Leaving Hogwarts" unforgettable moments of both the first and last films.

and ofc "One Ring to Rule Them All"
Old May 13th, 2013, 01:15 PM
Zeffy
bowties are cool

I'm not one to remember movie scores (since, well, I don't usually pay attention; I just keep listening XD), however John William's work on the Harry Potter series had always been stuck in my head ever since I watched the first movie. This one particularly:

Old June 10th, 2013, 01:37 PM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Nature: Relaxed
Bernard Hermannn FTW! I'mma let everyone finish, but Psycho, Taxi Driver and Vertigo are the best film scores of ALL! TIME! (And now that I've finished my Kanye-at-the-VMAs impression, I'll shut up now.)
Old June 10th, 2013, 04:06 PM
pokeyellow1
Unhatched Egg

I think the lord of the rings music is very iconic. Music is very important in movies, do you think Indiana Jones would fo been as fun without that music? Or star wars? hm hm hmhm hm hmhm hm hmhm (that was me trying to hum starwars through the internet I doubt it worked though) but as for what makes it good, don't really know. I guess its because it does not sound like background music. Lots of music in movies today is just there to provide ambiance, but this music had melody's and such and I guess that was why it was more successful maybe?
Old June 10th, 2013, 05:53 PM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
I just watched Star Trek: Into Darkness and I have to say that I love the new theme and the old theme!

New Theme:
Spoiler:

Original Theme:
Spoiler:
Old June 12th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Houndour2005

Heino, Blau Blüht Der Enzian.

This was the song from a movie from 1973 when I was born.

Old June 12th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Amore
Now stand up and begin
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlahISuck View Post
I just watched Star Trek: Into Darkness and I have to say that I love the new theme and the old theme!

New Theme:
Spoiler:

Original Theme:
Spoiler:
I have to agree with you on how good they are (haven't seen Into Darkness though). If anything I prefer the Star Trek theme to Star Wars. Or at least any of the pieces you can get off iTunes.

Transformers - Arrival to Earth. This has got to be one of my favourites ever. This particular version is slightly different to the version I have on iTunes, but still great.

"Raider's March" from Indiana Jones is a classic, and some of the Dark Knight Rises pieces are pretty good as well, such as "Rise", "Imagine the Fire" and "The Fire Rises" although if you didn't know the context they probably wouldn't come off that well. I heard Arrival to Earth the other day and couldn't remember what it was in, just knew it was great.

Also, not a piece exactly, more of a song, but "Django" from the Django Unchained soundtrack is pretty darn good.

Just going to put out two more links: At World's End from Pirates of the Caribbean. Loved playing that with my school orchestra. When it suddenly speeds up you just get kinda excited xD. And Oh Yeah from Ferris Bueller. It's basically used as a theme.

Sponsored Links