The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 13th, 2013, 05:28 PM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Thanks to the latest issue of CoroCoro, we've finally gotten our very first look at the region map. Does anyone out there still not believe this region will be based off of France?

But looking at it, the whole region looks very GREEEEEEN with lots of small chains of mountains spread around. This is very different from Unova, which is much more modern and industrial. Also, it's a much larger region based on the map above. What do you think of it so far? What new types of terrains and locations will you like to see in this new region? Do you like the idea of there being a lot of mountains and forests or jungles?

Also, the main city of the region is called Lumiose City and it's where the tall tower that resembles the Eiffel Tower is located. From what we've seen of Lumiose from previous news and videos, not even that city looks overly modern like Castelia City. What do you think?

For right now, I love how large the Kalos region looks. It definitely seems like it'll be a fun region to explore. However, I'm probably going to hate having to go through a bunch of caves and mountains by the look of it.

PS. If you're looking to discuss the name of the region or speculate on what the English name will be (if any), then you can discuss that over here.

Last edited by Guy; May 14th, 2013 at 05:35 AM.
Old May 13th, 2013, 07:38 PM
AzaleaLightning
Bouncer, hey bouncer ♪

Nature: Sassy
100% France, even the mountain ranges line up :D Miare City even seems close to where Paris is located, heh. I'm interested to see how Miare looks, I personally did not like Castelia at all. Too grossly urban imo, who likes dingy alleyways?

I hope this city is reminiscent of Hoenn as far as how rural it is, I loved Hoenn's ties to natures with cities like Fortree and Pacifidlog. X and Y seem very promising with how natural Karos looks.

Tumblr | MyAnimeList
Ooh, let me in right now
or I'll get physical with you

Old May 13th, 2013, 07:45 PM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
I too hope it'll be more like Hoenn and Sinnoh in terms of nature and rural rather than urban like Johto and Unova.

ORAS have been confirmed Remakes by Nintendo, they aren't Sequels so let go of that idea people.
Old May 14th, 2013, 12:25 AM
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter Tier 3

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Zorogami
I'm so excited about this new region!
I love how it has sooo much Green in it. France is a great inspiration, since it has mountains and very nice beaches as well!

~ Anything for my Nakama ~
Old May 14th, 2013, 01:58 AM
AnonygooseD
Lametrainer

Nature: Jolly
What I wish for is that the region has:
-A boulevard with cafes & an open market like the one in Slateport
-The ability to go up the Eiffel Tower (or whatever that thing was in the trailer)
-Protagonists & NPCs actually talking (i.e. speech is audible)
Who agrees?
Old May 14th, 2013, 02:15 AM
Azure
» Flame!
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Azure
At least it's not full of water routes and deserts! It's nice to have a land full of... mountains and greenery.

Old May 14th, 2013, 03:09 AM
SolarAbusoru
Go Go PokéRangers

Nature: Adamant
I like it. it looks very pristine, full of nature, and well, that European charm

Lover of all things Pokémon and Nintendo, and Atlus
Signature Pokémon: Luxray
Old May 14th, 2013, 04:21 AM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter Tier 4

Spoiler:

Just a better pic for you all!

Last edited by Mariah Carey; May 14th, 2013 at 04:34 AM.
Old May 14th, 2013, 04:25 AM
metalhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post

Just a better pic for you all!
in the american games the region will be called kalos region

i trying to find the starting town, but in this region there are alot of small town that can fit
Old May 14th, 2013, 04:27 AM
Guy
just a guy

Miare City will also be known as Lumiose City in the English copies.

If you click on the same image of the detailed map on Serebii, it will give you a much larger image so you can take a closer look too.
Old May 14th, 2013, 04:38 AM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling

Judging by the enlarged map, I'm putting my guess as to the location of the starting point on the far right of the map, the four little blue houses with the purple thing.
Old May 14th, 2013, 04:48 AM
Guy
just a guy

STONEHENGE!!! If you look on the map to the far left of the region, you'll notice a group of large rocks the oddly resembles the Stonehenge monument in England.

Good evidence that parts of this region will have other influences from Europe and not just France.
Old May 14th, 2013, 04:51 AM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling

tbh Stonehenge looks like the only thing on there that doesn't conform to at least one aspect of France, though that might just be my French pride seeing too far into things.
Old May 14th, 2013, 05:32 AM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
If anyone says this isn't primarily based off of France/Europe you are crazy. As Shivi did just point out it looks like we have Stonehenge, so we're taking some nods from Great Britain as well. I mean, the scattered mountains around the southern part of the region, plus the snowy area to the northwest just screams France/Europe to me.

As for general opinion of the region, I'm really loving it. The one thing I'm noticing that is different from Unova (and I'm happy about!) is that the region doesn't appear to just be a giant circle of towns around a central area. Yes, we have that big circular thing in the center, but the populated areas look much more varied around the map, and that's a great change. It feels like we'll be able to explore a lot more this time!

I'm really enjoying all the water ways around the region as well. It looks like they are literally everywhere. It'd be awesome to maybe have some sort of ferry system or something for fast travel around everywhere, although it doesn't look like there are ports anywhere on the rivers as well. Who knows, I just like how it looks anyways!
Old May 14th, 2013, 05:36 AM
Mujahid
Sir Froakie is impressed.

Nature: Quiet
Looks Beautiful !
Also, there alot of Small Mountain ranges Throughout the Region. This probably means there'll be alot of caves.
Zubat Alert !
Old May 14th, 2013, 07:40 AM
Community Supporter

The region seems mostly french except for the stonehenge in what in real life is normandy, fun fact the british had a king who was from normandy. So I guess it makes sense to put the mostly british thing there. Wonder if spain or germany will have anything to add...

ORAS have been confirmed Remakes by Nintendo, they aren't Sequels so let go of that idea people.
Old May 14th, 2013, 07:45 AM
metalhand

this region seems to be full of water paths, it is s nice change, but water routes are annoying.
Old May 14th, 2013, 07:47 AM
SolarAbusoru
Go Go PokéRangers

Nature: Adamant
This place definitely looks very diverse, you have have mountains, greens, forests, snowy plains, lava, coasts, etc

Lover of all things Pokémon and Nintendo, and Atlus
Signature Pokémon: Luxray
Old May 14th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarAbusoru View Post
This place definitely looks very diverse, you have have mountains, greens, forests, snowy plains, lava, coasts, etc
Yup it's as diverse as Hoenn...now add in tropical forests and it'll actually become more diverse! I love that it's diverse, Sinnoh and Unova sadly weren't very diverse imo.
I wonder if in this region we may ride on a boat in the water ways...

Old May 14th, 2013, 07:57 AM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

I'm glad it's so diverse. It makes the region much more interesting to travel, instead of seeing grass route after grass route, then a cave, then more grass. Having the mountains, rivers, snowy area, and volcano at the top will definitely make Kalos a lot of fun to traverse throughout the games.
Old May 14th, 2013, 08:01 AM
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake♫ View Post
I'm glad it's so diverse. It makes the region much more interesting to travel, instead of seeing grass route after grass route, then a cave, then more grass. Having the mountains, rivers, snowy area, and volcano at the top will definitely make Kalos a lot of fun to traverse throughout the games.
Agreed. That's one of the reasons I found Unova so boring, it was town, grass, town, grass, town,grass, cave, town, grass, cave, ect. I hope we get to actually climb up the mountain like with Mount Coronet in Sinnoh, that was one of the highlights of that game for me.

Old May 14th, 2013, 08:19 AM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaruby and Aquasapphire View Post
Yup it's as diverse as Hoenn...now add in tropical forests and it'll actually become more diverse! I love that it's diverse, Sinnoh and Unova sadly weren't very diverse imo.
I wonder if in this region we may ride on a boat in the water ways...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaruby and Aquasapphire View Post
Agreed. That's one of the reasons I found Unova so boring, it was town, grass, town, grass, town,grass, cave, town, grass, cave, ect. I hope we get to actually climb up the mountain like with Mount Coronet in Sinnoh, that was one of the highlights of that game for me.

I'm wondering if everyone played the same Gen 3 games. Hoenn was Half water half grassland with a little topping of sand and mountain. Hoenn was not that diverse at all. It followed Kanto fairly well. First City into a second city, Third city After a forest, Third City near a small mountain range. Fourth City near the ocean (Cerulean was near a cape that overlooked the ocean and Dewford was a small island), Fourth City was a port. For more than half of Hoenn you are on grass routes with a few caves. Something that is in every game. Only thing that set Hoenn off from the others was the Volcano and Ash field which hasn't really been used since Gen 3. Other than that which doesn't add more diversity than the others, Hoenn was no more diverse than Sinnoh or Johto or Unova. There were plenty of non-modern places all over Unova. The games get more diverse as the generations trot on.

Sinnoh was a large mixture of water, Grass, Mountian, topped with a little bit of Snow on the top.

Kalos IS the most diverse, more diverse than any region before. Its going to have very similar quirks to older regions as is tradition, but it has the most Biomes that I can see on the map.

I do wonder why Kalos Region is star shaped though. Looks as if its going to force us through one main path just like Unova did.
Old May 14th, 2013, 08:20 AM
Mujahid
Sir Froakie is impressed.

Nature: Quiet
Some Observations i made,
Spoiler:
Old May 14th, 2013, 08:25 AM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Definitely agree with you on the starting town and the Pokémon League locations, and the place you circled as an evil hideout could be possible. It sort of reminds me of the Cipher Desert Hideout from Colosseum and Gale of Darkness. It'd definitely be cool to have an entire location dedicated to the hideout instead of just having it in an existing city like the games tend to do.
Old May 14th, 2013, 08:26 AM
CycloneGU
Eye of the Storm

Oh, look where the tower appears. Isn't that where Paris is located on the real world map? Hmm...

Could that be Miare City, perchance?

Where do you all think the game will start?

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links