The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 14th, 2013, 06:47 AM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerilyn View Post
CONFIRMED by the Pokémon Company. At certain points in the game we'll be able to get new accessories and outfits for our protagonists. We'll be able to go back and change our outfits whenever we like. Also, since the new camera angles show our characters close up and in detail, we'll be able to see their new outfits on them.

So, it looks like we won't only be able to just change skin color, eye color, and hair color after all!
Though I do wish it was just outfits and accessories and no change in skin, eye, and hair color, so the protagonists will be considered canon with their default appearance.
Old May 14th, 2013, 06:55 AM
SolarAbusoru
Go Go PokéRangers

Nature: Adamant
I wonder if we'll then get outfits based on previous protagonists, and heck, we might even get costumes based on other Nintendo characters, I could imagine the blonde trainer to be put in a Link costume.

Lover of all things Pokémon and Nintendo, and Atlus
Signature Pokémon: Luxray
Old May 14th, 2013, 06:58 AM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
I could actually see that happening. It'd definitely be a fun nod to Nintendo's other series instead of just having some more random outfits. Either way I'd be pleased, but that definitely seems like a fun way to throw some random cameos into the games without having to bring in the actual characters from different universes!
Old May 14th, 2013, 07:19 AM
giradialkia
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to giradialkia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
Though I do wish it was just outfits and accessories and no change in skin, eye, and hair color, so the protagonists will be considered canon with their default appearance.
This is probably the only thing I don't like about the ability to customise player characters. Ever since GS, I've been WAITING AND LONGING for a past protagonist to appear in the games. There was obviously a huge potential for that to happen in B2W2, but unfortunately it didnt. While there was no reason for it to happen in later generations as such, it was at least nice to be able to speculate. Now that players inevitably determine their appearance, there's no real 'default' to go to, which is a bit disappointing, but how and everrr...

I very much like it. It'll obviously make it easier to get immersed in the game. To be honest, I'll play as a male and I'll use the 'default' (til now) white skin/black hair, but it'll be cool to see what kind of clothes and other little things we'll have the option to add to the player!

This one's called 'Red', and it's actually kinda Pokémon themed, so have a listen! Check out the links below for more stuff, if you like this!

This is the Doctor
This is my Soundcloud
This is my bandcamp

My Pokémon Y character is the same as my username. If you see me as a Passerby let me know! I tend to get a lot of Passerby requests and I often wonder if it's people from this site.
Old May 14th, 2013, 08:12 AM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by giradialkia View Post
This is probably the only thing I don't like about the ability to customise player characters. Ever since GS, I've been WAITING AND LONGING for a past protagonist to appear in the games. There was obviously a huge potential for that to happen in B2W2, but unfortunately it didnt. While there was no reason for it to happen in later generations as such, it was at least nice to be able to speculate. Now that players inevitably determine their appearance, there's no real 'default' to go to, which is a bit disappointing, but how and everrr...
There was unused data for the BW1 protagonists to appear in BW2 as opponents for the PWT. It appeared that they were originally meant to be in the game but were removed for some unknown reason. I have two theories; either they wanted to stay true about the MCs being you and don't want Hillbert and Hilda's appearance to contradict their idea, or the spotlight was stolen by Red, the original MC.
Old May 14th, 2013, 09:33 AM
Jigglymilk
I put a spell on you

Nature: Sassy
I honestly don't see why anyone would be against customizable hair/skin/eyes? It's all optional, and I'm sure the white/brown haired boy and the white/blonde strawberry blonde haired girl are the default canon characters
Old May 14th, 2013, 10:40 AM
jellotime91

I think pokemon.com just accidentally leaked further character customization (and possibly co-op gameplay.)

Check out this picture. What do you see in the top-right corner? Why it's our female protagonist, with no hat, and a different hairstyle.

It is definitely not the rival, because the rival would have the default appearance. It's not an NPC, because an NPC wouldn't use the same character model as the protagonist. I really believe this is co-op gameplay and additional customization right in front of our eyes.
Old May 14th, 2013, 10:45 AM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

I severely doubt you're seeing co-op gameplay. It is more than likely similar to RSE where the unused protagonist is part of the storyline. Of course, the customization on here is more than likely there to just showcase that the customization capabilities are there. Besides, if they are going to put it in there then it'd be doubtful that the other protagonist as a NPC wouldn't use the functions as well.
Old May 14th, 2013, 10:56 AM
jellotime91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake♫ View Post
I severely doubt you're seeing co-op gameplay. It is more than likely similar to RSE where the unused protagonist is part of the storyline. Of course, the customization on here is more than likely there to just showcase that the customization capabilities are there. Besides, if they are going to put it in there then it'd be doubtful that the other protagonist as a NPC wouldn't use the functions as well.
I have the complete opposite opinion to you lol. I really don't think the rival character will customize his/herself.

Anyway at least this screenshot proves that there is more advanced character customization. I haven't seen anyone else mention it so I was pretty excited about it!
Old May 14th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter Tier 3

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Zorogami
I'm so excited about the fact there will be more to customize throughout the game!!
This is a great addition, and I'm very anxious to see how far GF will go with this feature

I really don't think there is going to be coop-play, that would just be too revolutionizing
Why shouldn't the rival be able to customize his/herself? And don't forget this is still development material, who knows what they were testing

~ Anything for my Nakama ~
Old May 14th, 2013, 04:04 PM
Belldandy
ღ Cammybear ღ
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Maybe you can customize the unused MC to be of "fitting" appearance to you?

Like, when you go to customize your own character, later on the other MC asks your opinion about their dress. If you feel he/she should change, you could "make him/her over" and tah-dah, explanation for hatless unused MC.

Just a thought.
My Trade Thread
Breedject Sign-Up Thread
Friend Safari: Munna, Gothorita, Espurr
Native Scatterbugs: Polar, Ocean, Sun
Old May 14th, 2013, 05:18 PM
LycaNinja
Werewolf Assassin

Nature: Docile
Quote:
Originally Posted by shubham2207 View Post
We don't need to customize the rival's outfit.

He can do it all by himself..! :-P
Random rival clothing choices... OMG I would love that... Rival looks different in everybody's game for the most part.

Old May 14th, 2013, 05:36 PM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

I kind of said this already, but that would definitely cover why the other protagonist was shown wearing different clothing in this screenshot. If they have interactions with the player then it'd make sense that they might randomly have different customization options for them as well!
Old May 14th, 2013, 06:51 PM
LycaNinja
Werewolf Assassin

Nature: Docile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake♫ View Post
I kind of said this already, but that would definitely cover why the other protagonist was shown wearing different clothing in this screenshot. If they have interactions with the player then it'd make sense that they might randomly have different customization options for them as well!
I like the idea of it being random, but the idea of the partner asking how they look and then allowing you to dress them seems to make more sense to to what feature they would put in the game.

Old May 14th, 2013, 07:03 PM
AWsquared
It's another wolf bite.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to AWsquared
I'm glad I can customize more than just eyes, skin ,and hair color. I can actually play as the boy without having to wear his hideous outfit. :) Hopefully I can change my outfit right before I actually get my starter at the very beginning. Can't wait to actually be able to have glasses for once.

Mega Sceptile and Treecko for life yo.
DeviantArt |Tumblr | Art Gallery| Ask Me Stuff |Paired to | Avatar source:[x]
Old May 14th, 2013, 07:22 PM
Krookodile777
Togepi

I really want to be able to make the rivals appearance, so I can make him look stupid as possible

I also really want to be able to ditch the hat/sunglasses, I don't like them. That picture suggests maybe we will be able to!

https://www.pokecheck.org/?p=search&...15-61212-99488
Or 15-61212-99488 (Watch on your DS)
(^Good battle video of mine)
Old May 14th, 2013, 08:50 PM
BluuArrowz

DLC Clothing I can feel it!
Old May 14th, 2013, 10:29 PM
SolarAbusoru
Go Go PokéRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krookodile777 View Post
I really want to be able to make the rivals appearance, so I can make him look stupid as possible

I also really want to be able to ditch the hat/sunglasses, I don't like them. That picture suggests maybe we will be able to!
I'll be keeping the sunglasses, they look trés chic
I'll most likely change the jacket for a hoodie though if that's available.

Old May 14th, 2013, 11:09 PM
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter Tier 3

Send a message via Skype™ to Zorogami
I'm really digging the glasses and the girls hat so far.
I actually really like the female's outfit in general, but I'm glad i'll be able to give the male a different set of clothes :D

~ Anything for my Nakama ~
Old May 15th, 2013, 05:40 AM
WizChloefa
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Calm
Apologies if this has been asked before, but in regards to the hair colour and skin tones, can you mix and match them? For example, could I have the pale skin, but with the brown hair? Or would it have to be kept blonde? I hope there isn't a restriction and it can be mixed up. I'm really pleased with the customisation feature added but I'll be disappointed if you can't mix it around a bit.
Old May 15th, 2013, 05:42 AM
SolarAbusoru
Go Go PokéRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizChloefa View Post
Apologies if this has been asked before, but in regards to the hair colour and skin tones, can you mix and match them? For example, could I have the pale skin, but with the brown hair? Or would it have to be kept blonde? I hope there isn't a restriction and it can be mixed up. I'm really pleased with the customisation feature added but I'll be disappointed if you can't mix it around a bit.
Nope, in regards to skin and hair colour, you only have 3 choices

Old May 15th, 2013, 05:52 AM
Apricots
Cream Puff

Nature: Gentle
I wasn't all that excited about X and Y at first, but now that the 3D-ness has grown on me, and I know I can also make a character of color... I'm sold.

tumblr | deviantart | pixiv | twitter
Old May 15th, 2013, 05:56 AM
Azure
» e l e c t r i c
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Azure
Atleast everyone's character will look slightly different! I'm pretty content with the default appearance of both protagonists but I may change up the appearance slightly.

Old May 15th, 2013, 06:04 AM
Daydream
Spider-Man
Community Supporter

I feel like I will be spending a lot of time making my trainer look just right. And that's going to be even worse if we can customise our rivals. Although, I think the rivals will either have a random appearance, or that it will change depending on how you've customised your own character.

Part of me feels like it would be wrong to play without some form of headgear as a Pokémon protagonist, though.
Old May 15th, 2013, 07:00 AM
Branellope
THIS. IS. SEMPITERNAL.

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Branellope
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarAbusoru View Post
Nope, in regards to skin and hair colour, you only have 3 choices
That's horrible. Game Freak have done me wrong D:
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links