The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates

Notices

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

Old May 14th, 2013, 10:03 PM
The Dark Avenger
Eye-Catching

Nature: Adamant
This is one issue I have much difficulty with; though I have some preconceived notion in favor and against both, I cannot say with any certainty where a line should be drawn between alleged criminal rights and allowing for a more efficient justice system.

What would you do?

1) My client tells me he killed his mother. What is the ethical discourse to take? Preserve client-attorney privilege or breach it and not adequately defend your client. Or neither?

2) My client is an alleged rapist and child molester. It is my duty to only take on a client that I can adequately defend to the best of my ability; do I have a duty as a lawyer court-appointed to the case to defend this client regardless of charges made? As a lawyer, is it my job to not assume guilt of my client, even speculative evidence all points to guilt?

3) Does the justice system (U.S or otherwise), sometimes protect people who have committed crimes? Would this happen less often without the defendant protections? Would more innocent people be behind bars if these protection were not in place? If yes to the last two questions, that more people who commit crimes are acquitted and more innocent people are put behind bars, which is worse, and what is the best remedy?

Bonus: Not related directly to the prompt, but applicable.
How has media negatively/positively affected the criminal justice system in high-profile cases?
Do we as people often jump to the conclusion that someone is guilty without knowing all of the facts? For instance, the Casey Anthony case. I will not say either way that the verdict was right or wrong, though most people have assumed guilt with VERY LITTLE knowledge of the court proceedings.

Spoiler:

You can choose to address these questions or not; they are here to help you begin to think about each of these ethical dilemmas.
Old May 21st, 2013, 06:44 PM
twocows
Pretentious Intellectual Jerk
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
As a defense attorney, it is your duty to act in the best interest of your client, not to find the truth. That particular role is delegated to the judge and/or jury, who arrive at that decision based on the arguments and evidence produced by each side. If you believe that system is correct and respect it, you should fulfill your role to the best of your abilities. If you have ethical concerns and do not want to represent a client, then don't. Someone will, and that is as it should be.

Our system is designed to err on the side of producing fewer false positives than false negatives; we value the innocence of innocents more than the guilt of the guilty. Those who have done no wrong should not be made to suffer under the law. I agree with this system, even if it means sometimes we'll let the bad guy go free. If you disagree, you should be trying to change it from the outside, not circumventing it from within. Do not choose to accept a role if you are not prepared to follow through.

PM me if you have computer troubles. I work in IT for a living and can probably solve your problems. My rate is $expensive/hr, but I'm still cheaper than Creep Squad and, unlike them, will actually get the job done or let you know if I can't.

Quote:
The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
- H. L. Mencken, unsourced

Quote:
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]

NEW 40K MMOFPS YESSSSS
Old May 24th, 2013, 01:57 PM
FreakyLocz14
Conservative Patriot
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
As someone who is in law school, I can tell you that revealing ANYTHING that your client has told you is a serious violation of legal ethics, and could get you disbarred!

Our legal system is an adversarial system. Both sides of the case are expected to be only do what's in the best interests of their clients, and the judge and jury are supposed to rule on the law or the facts that are presented to them.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links