The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 15th, 2013, 06:00 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude

Advertise here
Diagonal movement is pretty neat, tbh. I think you could use it as a shortcut for moving up/down, then left/right and vice-versa (as mentioned above), which is highly convenient.

Old May 15th, 2013, 12:03 PM
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Zorogami
Not only is it highly convenient, it will look amazing as well!
Having the possibility to move around freely will make the game way smoother

~ Anything for my Nakama ~
Old May 15th, 2013, 12:12 PM
Apricots
Cream Puff

Nature: Gentle
To me it seems like the game will run on a sort of isometric plane.
So in theory there would be diagonal movement, still on a grid that governs placement (of the characters, NPCs, objects, etc).

If that's the case it's more of a 2.5D style game, which I'm perfectly fine with.

tumblr | deviantart | pixiv | twitter
Old May 15th, 2013, 12:34 PM
LycaNinja
Werewolf Assassin

Nature: Docile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apricots View Post
To me it seems like the game will run on a sort of isometric plane.
So in theory there would be diagonal movement, still on a grid that governs placement (of the characters, NPCs, objects, etc).

If that's the case it's more of a 2.5D style game, which I'm perfectly fine with.
You see in the trailer that the guy moves slightly and stays in that direction, as if his finger moved slightly and it was mirrored by the character's movement, suggestion full movement control. Maybe they will have a grid toggle option for people who want the old system or their newer one.

Old May 17th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Lazerith

The diagonal movement will be awesome. Only being able to move udlr would be annoying. Controlling the character in previous games on the 3DS with the circle pad is a pain, so I have to use the d-pad. But with diagonal movement, it will be a step in the right(diagonal) direction. Hopefully they take it even further and implement 360 degree movement.
Old May 21st, 2013, 12:10 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
I absolutely would love this! n_n It allows for so much more freedom, really~! It makes the games feel....I dunno, I want to say realistic, but this is a video game, but it does add more depth to it, certainly. xD;

Quote:
But with diagonal movement, it will be a step in the right(diagonal) direction. Hopefully they take it even further and implement 360 degree movement.
This is something I'm looking forward to, as well~! Controlling the camera movement would also be ideal, but that's a separate topic for another time, I guess. u_u
Old May 22nd, 2013, 01:59 PM
Romaov
Orra

It would make sense if they had DMovement this time. if not playing will be very awkward seeing 3d models going in a single pathway. I mean they already walk weird enough but being stuck on a grid in every main game would just be terrible.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 02:17 PM
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Another thing I thought of in regards to this is that the 3DS has the analog stick as well as the DPad. Maybe it'd make sense to have both a grid control and free movement active at the same time, depending on which movement option that you choose to use. It would give us some freedom to do what we want, plus they could keep the traditional movement style in place for those who want to use it.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 02:18 PM
LycaNinja
Werewolf Assassin

So Pokemon X and Y are grid-locked, like always (But with diagonally movement added), except when you are in Luminose City, where you get 360 degree movement...

Old May 22nd, 2013, 06:52 PM
H3115r3p3ntanc3
Trampoliner

i think that there will be diagonal movement, it would help with making double battles into triple battles without placing the npc trainers in an awkward, easy to avoid, triangle.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 06:58 PM
LycaNinja
Werewolf Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3115r3p3ntanc3 View Post
i think that there will be diagonal movement, it would help with making double battles into triple battles without placing the npc trainers in an awkward, easy to avoid, triangle.
Diagonal movement is already confirmed...

Old May 22nd, 2013, 10:25 PM
Rai
Misao <3

Nature: Impish
Send a message via AIM to Rai
I would LOVE if the characters are able to move sideways. It would be such a same and simple change, but it would makes walking and maneuvering so much easier.

@Suicune- That is the story of my life .-. x3
Old May 22nd, 2013, 10:59 PM
C Payne
Hoenn in 3D!
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by LycaNinja View Post
So Pokemon X and Y are grid-locked, like always (But with diagonally movement added), except when you are in Luminose City, where you get 360 degree movement...
I don't know...something about the movement in Lumiose, from the trailer, seems grid-like as well. It looks like it will just auto-rotate like Castelia when you hit the curves. Unless there's a new one out I've missed that showcases 360 degrees?

Source: http://pokemon-diamond.deviantart.co...-map-251951922
Old May 23rd, 2013, 12:10 AM
LycaNinja
Werewolf Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Payne View Post
I don't know...something about the movement in Lumiose, from the trailer, seems grid-like as well. It looks like it will just auto-rotate like Castelia when you hit the curves. Unless there's a new one out I've missed that showcases 360 degrees?
The characters pass the same areas with different camera angles... and he slightly moves it over the trailer...

Old May 23rd, 2013, 06:15 AM
C Payne
Hoenn in 3D!
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Calm
It's just harder to tell with diagonal movements and camera angles. Still looks grid-like to me with the Castelia treatment. I'll be convinced it is 360 degrees when they actually show you moving around in circles rather than the straight line movement with a diagonal and camera movement thrown in to throw you off like has been shown show far.

Source: http://pokemon-diamond.deviantart.co...-map-251951922
Old May 23rd, 2013, 09:46 AM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
It could very well be like Castelia...of course I also beleive they showed it outside of Lumiose city in one of the routes, have to watch the trailer again.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 11:59 PM
LaGrosseBaguette
Tartine beurrée

I believe we just will be able to make up, down, right, left and diagonal : if you look at the screenshots, it looks terribly squared (grasses, roads ...). This is why I believe so !
Old May 24th, 2013, 12:07 AM
SeanFX
Gear Second

Nature: Adamant
I'm pretty sure it will utilize the circle pad well.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here