• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen R/S/E Vs. FR/LG

Did You Like R/S/E or L/F?

• Total voters

mizterdekazy

Experienced Pokemon Trainer
Years
Which one was the best for you? gameplay wise, considering there are two different regions here and what did you like about the one you chose?
In MY Opinion I think I'll favor Leafgreen and Firered just because I love the kanto pokemon.

sanny the hedgehog

Back by popular demand?
Years
My favorite of the two was fire red and leaf green. To me it looked a lot better graphically. I don't really know why, but it just did. Ruby and Sapphire were what I consider to be the pokemon games' "pre-teen phase". It's like they knew what they wanted to do, but they weren't exactly sure how to do it. But that's just me, and what do I know? Another reason why I liked LG so much was because it just felt easier to pick up and play anytime. Probably because of the last 5 steps thing they had every time you booted up your file. That to me was a great touch because if i put it down and left it for 20 years (the game battery would be dead, but I'm exaggerating so just roll with it) and then came back to it, I'd still be know what pokemon I was training.
TL;DR version: I'm really bias towards LG because nostalgia and having good times with the game.

~The end~

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Fixed the title slightly since FireRed and LeafGreen are better known as FRLG, not F and L haha. Anyway, I love RSE and Emerald is my favorite game and I'm Queen of Hoenn and I'm a fluffy Altaria and well you see where my vote is going, right? ;)

Not only that, but as remakes, I felt like FRLG fell flat, especially after HGSS came out and we saw what all they managed with those games. For a long time, I didn't even like FRLG anymore, so yeah. I've come back to enjoying them and such cause I'm a GBA junkie, but still, they aren't the best remakes. Which is understandable, though. They were the first.

Years
FR/LG. I don't like 3rd gen Pokemon that much really and 1st gen is my second favorite gen after 4th.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
Ruby and Sapphire of course as it has my Favorite villain team Aqua and has one of the best place added in Emerald the battle frontier. FR/LG was boring after you complete the story is done.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
Although LeafGreen is undoubtedly a class game (hell, let's be honest the only main series games to fall short so far are Diamond / Pearl when compared with Platinum, and Black/White. In my opinion anyway, and I'm not saying they're bad games), Emerald wins it for me, perhaps due to being my first game or something - I love all the pokémon in it, and I mean all of them. Even Zubat is ok in Emerald. And everthing about the game - the region, the music, the storyline, etc. means that you can beat a classic :)

Years
I've always found it tough to decide which set of games is my favorite, especially when you're lumping Emerald with Ruby/Sapphire (which makes sense, though). If we were talking about R/S by themselves, I would've had to go with FireRed/LeafGreen as my favorites, mostly because they were remakes that were done very well, and I managed to spend hundreds of hours on the game, long after I'd completed the story.

If you add Emerald, though, R/S/E would be my favorite of the two, and the one I chose in the poll. The Battle Frontier really got me excited in Pokemon again, plus the combination of the already good storylines of Ruby and Sapphire into one game made me love it that much more.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
I liked RSE beter than FRLG because in RSE there were a lot more of extra things you can do such as the Battle Frontier, Pokemon Contest and making Pokeblocks and it took me a lot longer to beat than FRLG.

:t354:TG

Years
  • Seen May 25, 2013
I liked R/S/E better for a number of reasons.

-Saphire was my first video game ever (GBA was my first console), so that makes me a little biased in favor of R/S/E

-I loved all of third gen's legendaries and most of the regular pokemon (always hated feebas because I could never find one :/ )

-The region itself was amazing, all of the towns/areas.

-I loved alot of the side adventures (such as the search for the Regi's)

Years
Personally, I think FRLG trumped RS, but then Emerald was pretty much the best. RS had a great story, great Pokémon, and introduced more great gameplay to the series. FRLG was good in that it gave us access to the older Pokémon (most of which were seriously lacking in RSE, for obvious reasons). In terms of post-game, FRLG was INFINITELY better than RS, with essentially another region to explore (much like GS had). RS only had a Battle Tower, which to be honest just isn't much fun, especially back then when there was no boss to beat at the end and it was literally battling for average items.

Emerald however, trumped FRLG, with the Battle Frontier. It had the great aspects RS had, plus a very much elongated post-game, which was just what was needed. It also gave access to a lot of other older Pokémon that couldn't even be accessed in FRLG. In my opinion, it literally works out like this:

RS < FRLG < Emerald

✯Shigeru✯

I Dropped The Lift Key...
Years
Yeah, I could definitely say Emerald is the best of gen 3 hands down followed by FR/LG then R/S. The only problem I have with R/S is that there is a lack of a post game and considering G/S/C had another region after beating the E4, R/S were really disappointing to me.

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
Years
FR/LG > R/S

Emerald though gives you the best bang for your buck.

If I had to choose regions though, Kanto/Johto is where I'm in my element so I'm gonna go FR/LG.

Jetfire

أربعة ملوك السماوية
Years
  • Age 32
  • ???
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Well, think about it for a minute.

When R/S/E came out, It was a thrill because everything was completely new. Gamefreak finally decided to leave behind Kanto and start somewhere completely different. I remember having that sense of, "damn, nothing is going to beat the original" as if I was unwilling to let go.

Those 3 games really changed it up for the series. When LG/FR came out, of course nothing will compare to the original. So, I wouldn't compare the two honestly .. the two are on their own league.

Years
Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald for me, since Hoenn was my first region as far as my Pokemon game playing career goes. I never played the Kanto games, not even FireRed/LeafGreen.

Also, I loved most of the Hoenn Pokemon and while R/S lacked much of a post-game, Emerald did make up for that.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
Fixed the title slightly since FireRed and LeafGreen are better known as FRLG, not F and L haha. Anyway, I love RSE and Emerald is my favorite game and I'm Queen of Hoenn and I'm a fluffy Altaria and well you see where my vote is going, right? ;)

Not only that, but as remakes, I felt like FRLG fell flat, especially after HGSS came out and we saw what all they managed with those games. For a long time, I didn't even like FRLG anymore, so yeah. I've come back to enjoying them and such cause I'm a GBA junkie, but still, they aren't the best remakes. Which is understandable, though. They were the first.

Pretty much the exact same as Syd. Except I am the king of Hoenn.

Fujiko

Devon Corporation Secretary
Years
I really liked Ruby and Sapphire more.
I think that those versions are less straight forward so I spend more time on them when i replay them. I'm also always finding new little things in them even if they are just silly items or dialogue.

Back