The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon Trading Card Game

Notices

Pokémon Trading Card Game The forum for the Pokémon TCG and Pokemon TCG Online. Post your deck to get rated, rate other decks, ask questions, talk about strategy, etc.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 23rd, 2013, 06:59 AM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Advertise here
Before you answer, it can be for just about any reason, so long as it's not just "because it's the best" or if the reason is not PG-13! You can choose more than one set, too, if you're having trouble picking just one!

Personally, my favorite set is the HeartGold SoulSilver Base Set, simply because of the card borders.

After that, it's the Japanese Shiny Collection because of its full-art cards.

So, what are your favorite sets and why?
Old April 23rd, 2013, 07:50 PM
Demon.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Possibly Skyridge. Mostly for the artwork.
Old April 25th, 2013, 04:32 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon. View Post
Possibly Skyridge. Mostly for the artwork.
Any of the 3 E-sets were on my shortlist for that very reason, actually. There's a lot of appealing art in those sets.
Old April 26th, 2013, 10:30 AM
PokeManx
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Serious
Base, Jungle, Fossil, Team Rocket.. Yes, you guessed it, I'm a fan of the original sets!
Old April 26th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
my favorite set would have to be the Team Aqua V Team Magma set, due to I like all the art on the cards

Last edited by Talli; April 26th, 2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old April 26th, 2013, 08:54 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokeManx View Post
Base, Jungle, Fossil, Team Rocket.. Yes, you guessed it, I'm a fan of the original sets!
Those are probably the 4 most popular sets of all time. Simply because for so many there's a lot of nostalgia attached to those sets for most of the people who seek them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis talli View Post
my favorite set would have to be the Team Aqua V Team Magma set, due to I like all the art on the cards
That certainly was an intriguing set, but I personally missed the boat on collecting that one initially.
Old April 27th, 2013, 12:07 AM
PokeManx
Unhatched Egg

[QUOTE=donavannj;7640992]Those are probably the 4 most popular sets of all time. Simply because for so many there's a lot of nostalgia attached to those sets for most of the people who seek them out.

Absolutely, this was when I first started collecting. The Neo series were also very good too.
Old May 8th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Sydian
I don't like frogs.

Nature: Timid
With the many sets we have in the Pokemon TCG, what would you say is your absolute favorite? This includes mini-sets like Southern Islands and Dragon Vault, btw. :)

Anyway, I don't make it any secret that I love all the Neo sets, but my absolute favorite is Neo Destiny. I think it's also the most expensive...haha. But the shining cards are amazing and this is the only set they're around in (unless you count the secret rare Shining Magikarp and Gyarados from Neo Revelation) and they look so neat. Playability wise, I don't recommend them, haha. But they're gorgeous. And I love the light and dark Pokemon. The artwork for both are so different, expressive, and neat. And their attacks and Pokepowers match up with their light or darkness. It's just an amazing set, even if Umbreon isn't in it...haha. <3

How about y'all? :)

paired to crono
Old May 8th, 2013, 01:12 PM
PokeManx
Unhatched Egg

Base set for me, followed closely by Neo Destiny and Team Rocket. I have a Team Rocket booster box. Resisting the temptation to not open it!! Not many left in the world now.

Personally, in my opinion, Wizards of the Coast made the better cards.
Old May 8th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Nuke

Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Probably dragon vault because I just got back into the game, bought a 3 pack blister and didn't expect the quality of cards to be so good. All holographic, all very useful imo.

Obviously earlier sets like base and jungle are very memorable too.

X + Y - 4914-3466-1264
Old May 8th, 2013, 05:25 PM
Tman109ner

Honestly, I haven't been in for awhile and only recently got back, but I loved Skyridge. Last cards by WOTC and some of my favorite artwork.

Check Out My RP: Revolution
Credit to PopPrincess_Lyra over on Serebii for the banner.
Old May 8th, 2013, 08:38 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

I've just gone ahead and merged your thread with the already existing thread we have for that, Syd!
Old May 8th, 2013, 08:52 PM
Sydian
I don't like frogs.

Nature: Timid
Thanks, Don! I looked and totally missed it. :( I feel so bad now!

Quote:
Personally, in my opinion, Wizards of the Coast made the better cards.
I kind of agree with this. Most of my favorite sets are older ones, but there are still some fantastics sets these days, so I'm not totally discouraged. :) idk how you're resisting opening that Rocket box though, haha.

Out of the first generation sets, I would say Rocket is my favorite now that you mention that. It's got some of the best artwork, but it's...not really that great playability wise I've found. But hey...it looks cool. That's all that matters. ;)

paired to crono
Old May 9th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Necrum
The box. You opened it. We came.

Nature: Adamant
My favorite set is Fossil. I loved the Pokemon selection, and the art was really nice. We finally completed the Kanto dex with that set, which was really fun to have all the Pokemon of the time at your disposal.

I'm also in love with pretty much all the BW2 series cards (I know that's not what they're called, but that have a BW2 themed logo so that's what I call it). Plasma Freeze is absolutely lovely with its ice themes. I also really like the Rocket Set's artwork, even if all the cards were utterly unplayable.

Challenges
Carnival of Horrors
Monotype Challenge
Ones That Got Away

Trade Info
1435-4289-9306
No Giveaway ATM
Old May 9th, 2013, 09:10 PM
Demon.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Plasma freeze might win me over just because of the Eon duo.
Old May 21st, 2013, 04:04 AM
Lunti89
Unhatched Egg

The Legendary Collection, I just love the reverse foil cards in it
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here