The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates

Notices

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 13th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Ragetendo
The Angry Italian

Nature: Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
These kinds of guns aren't things that non-military, non-law enforcement people should have anyway.
Well, These so called "assault weapons" are no different than a hunting rifle, they are just smaller caliber & have the looks of military grade weaponry it's actually a federal crime to make these weapons automatic, the only way to own the automatic version is to have a license which is very limited.I can see what you mean by saving lives even though they kill less than 400 people annually, But if thats the case why don't we focus on more pressing issues that kills more people.Drunk driving is one of the most preventable deaths in the US, Yet 30% of all traffic deaths are caused by it.Now I'm not trying to push blame elsewhere I'm just saying that banning a weapon isn't going to have an effect, the "assault" weapon ban of 94 did not do anything. these bans are just feel good measures...if we actually regulated with background check and had people take a firearms safety class not only would a lot of accidental deaths would be prevented we could make it more difficult for bad people."I'm not necessarily arguing for an all-out ban, but since guns rarely protect people and much more often harm people on accident it's not like we'd be putting people in jeopardy if we banned gun ownership, and it would protect us from that group of "criminals" who won't risk breaking the law for a gun" I've seen and had guns protect me, I grew up in a very bad area out house was robbed multiple times, I've been jumped. I've had guns and knives pulled on me. I know how desperate the street level criminal can be, and they are the ones going in houses, stealing cars, raping women.I remember being a kid and we dented some guy car and so he went ape **** and was trying to get into our house and was threatening us, so my little bros dad brandished his Legal pistol and the guy knew that coming in would be an unhealthy choice. There is cases of guns protecting people and banning the ability for people to protect them and their property is very shameful. We all have the right to protect ourselves and loved ones.Take it from someone who grew up in the "hood" its not a nice place its scary you don't go out at night.Also out right banning guns won't work anyways because then criminals will get them from mexico, and mexico would have to get them imported from other countries, Or criminals would steal them from Canadians...then the law abiding citizen would not be able to protect himself unless he wants to become and outlaw.Theres the saying "When guns are outlawed, I will be an Outlaw". All in all we cant stop the violence outlawing would only create more outlaws and end up killing more good guys, flip side is regulation and education wont get rid of it either but at least it makes most sense. Don't get me wrong I'm not a red blooded republican conservative I'm just a guy who believes in his constitutional rights, I feel we have the right to live a good life and protect it from those who are willing to take it. I'm no fool i know guns aren't a guarantee but they are an equalizer and thats all i ask for is an equal chance to protect my life.
Old May 21st, 2013, 10:29 PM
CarcharOdin
Master of The Universe
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
Can we look into this? Can the NRA also not be against it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_Gun

If were going to have people purchasing firearms for self-defense or even just for sports like target shooting, I think it would be good to make sure the gun in question is something only the owner and a select few people he trusts (and even then, not likely) can fire. Although it's inevitable that someone with criminal intent might find some way to bypass it, I think this can help alleviate the "guy-kills-with-stolen-gun" problem. I do think this is something worth trying.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 01:52 AM
Kyrul
Long Live The Note
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarcharOdin View Post
Can we look into this? Can the NRA also not be against it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_Gun

If were going to have people purchasing firearms for self-defense or even just for sports like target shooting, I think it would be good to make sure the gun in question is something only the owner and a select few people he trusts (and even then, not likely) can fire. Although it's inevitable that someone with criminal intent might find some way to bypass it, I think this can help alleviate the "guy-kills-with-stolen-gun" problem. I do think this is something worth trying.

"Some smart gun technology uses a Verichip which is permanently embedded under the user's skin in order to activate the gun "

Hell no. There ain't no way I'm gonna get some chip planted into my body if I want to go deer huntin'. All that's doing is turning it into a 4th Amendment problem instead of a 2nd.
I'm all for that high-speed finger print tech as long as it's embedded in the the weapon itself.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 02:30 AM
Okazaki~Tomoya
A place were dreams come true

Nature: Quiet
I've never agreed with firearms. but i don't deny that they do make one feel safer.
Ever heard the term a gun is only as dangerous as it's user?
Anything can be used in a violent manner it just depends on the individual.
Yes a gun was made for the purpose of killing, but they can be used under restricted circumstances.
Like a person has to go through a police enforced training programme to make that individual fully aware of the implications.
But no matter what sort of law gets thrown out there will always be hidden transactions and black market schemes.
I think the majority of firearms a person weilds in their own home should be replaced with the stun guns given to police.
Effect quick and doesnt kill the assailant.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links