The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates

Notices

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

Old May 22nd, 2013 (06:37 AM).
Jay_Foxx
Author

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Jay_Foxx
Wash. florist sues state in gay wedding case

http://seattletimes.com/html/localne...writethru.html

... and she thinks this lawsuit is likely to succeed?

Dark-Type Safari

Personal Website
Canadaquaria Forum nScale.net
"...many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." ~ Obi Wan Kenobi
Old May 22nd, 2013 (11:45 AM).
Esper

So the argument is over whether a person can refuse service based on their religious beliefs.

I can sort of see why someone would think they could, as in this instance, not sell to a gay person because their religion tells them gay = bad, but religion doesn't always trump everything else. I mean, you can't use religion to avoid paying taxes (unless your 'business' is a church) so we know religion stops at some point where it meets the law.

It makes sense to let businesses have reasonable amounts of freedom in who they'll serve, but that should be on the basis of health and safety and stuff like that. There's no danger in selling to a gay person. I think their case is without merit. I mean, are we going to then say it's okay to refuse service to someone of a different religion, a different race? How far would someone push the law back in the name of their religion?

deviantart blog pair
Old May 22nd, 2013 (02:24 PM).
twocows
Pretentious Intellectual Jerk
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Can you provide a bit of a summary in your topic post next time instead of just a link? I shouldn't have to visit their site to know what you're talking about.

This is interesting because anti-discriminatory laws are coming into conflict with religious beliefs. I think in the end, the former will win out over the latter, as other people who have claimed they commit crimes in the name of their religious beliefs have still been convicted.

I initially thought they shouldn't be forced to service someone they didn't want to at their private business, but then I thought back on private businesses a few decades ago that refused service to blacks. I guess it makes sense from an anti-discriminatory perspective.

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." - H. L. Mencken, unsourced

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]
Old May 22nd, 2013 (04:20 PM).
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Small business shouldn't have to hire people they don't like, because in that kind of environment you going to be seeing a lot of each other - and if you don't like each other, this isn't going to be a good experience for either party. But, large business, and the environment that tends to foster, should hire anyone who is qualified.

But, that's hiring practices. Different from this, where you're selling. And if you're in business, you should be selling to everything that moves. You're in business to make money. You shouldn't care who you're selling to unless you suspect some sort of security/personal safety risk of some sort.

So, lose the flower shop. Sell it to someone who wants to make money.
Old May 24th, 2013 (01:37 PM).
FreakyLocz14
Conservative Patriot
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIFORCE89 View Post
Small business shouldn't have to hire people they don't like, because in that kind of environment you going to be seeing a lot of each other - and if you don't like each other, this isn't going to be a good experience for either party. But, large business, and the environment that tends to foster, should hire anyone who is qualified.

But, that's hiring practices. Different from this, where you're selling. And if you're in business, you should be selling to everything that moves. You're in business to make money. You shouldn't care who you're selling to unless you suspect some sort of security/personal safety risk of some sort.

So, lose the flower shop. Sell it to someone who wants to make money.
I agree with you... mostly. No one should be forced to hire someone that they don't want to hire.

I don't see why someone would want to buy flowers from a company that doesn't like them. Perhaps they just want attention.
Old May 24th, 2013 (03:33 PM).
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyLocz14 View Post
I don't see why someone would want to buy flowers from a company that doesn't like them. Perhaps they just want attention.
If you go in legitimately seeking service not aware beforehand that they won't cater to you and your business is turned down on a discriminatory basis, where would be the attention seeking aspect in that?

You should bring you business elsewhere because you can't force them to deal with you, and, at least to me, you wouldn't want to give them your money. Speak with you wallet.

Suing could be seen as trying to make a point I guess, but I wouldn't fault them.
Old May 27th, 2013 (08:33 PM).
Miss Anne Thrope
Disgusted

Nature: Bold
Not only can anyone deny service to those they don't wish to serve, it is also her religious right.
I personally think she's a bigot. I wouldn't deny a Christian service even though I don't like their religion, cause business is business. That gay couple isn't forcing her to accept homosexuality by making them a flower arrangement. However, you can't argue with her rights. She shouldn't have to accept anyone she doesn't want to.
Old May 28th, 2013 (12:46 AM).
Jay_Foxx
Author

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Jay_Foxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope View Post
Not only can anyone deny service to those they don't wish to serve, it is also her religious right.
I personally think she's a bigot. I wouldn't deny a Christian service even though I don't like their religion, cause business is business. That gay couple isn't forcing her to accept homosexuality by making them a flower arrangement. However, you can't argue with her rights. She shouldn't have to accept anyone she doesn't want to.
I'm sorry, but the law disagrees with you. Anti-discrimination laws (particularly in this state) prohibit any business serving the public from refusing service based on religion, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, and other characteristics.

You can't do as you suggest.

Dark-Type Safari

Personal Website
Canadaquaria Forum nScale.net
"...many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." ~ Obi Wan Kenobi
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links