The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Metal & Color Generation

Notices

Metal & Color Generation Take a walk down memory lane with Red, Blue, and Yellow, the games that started it all! Then revisit the best region ever in the original Johto games, Gold, Silver, and Crystal.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 15th, 2013, 11:54 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Generation II added shiny Pokémon, which were essentially the same as normal Pokémon, except with a different colour and they sparkled when they appeared. These were very rare and only appeared when the Pokémon had certain IVs. So do like shiny Pokémon? Have you ever obtained a shiny Pokémon (besides the Gyarados) in these games? Which shiny did you want the most?

Discuss!

I'm a Slugma~
Old April 16th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Brendino
Hold your breath. Make a wish. Count to three.

Nature: Quiet
Aside from the Shiny Gyarados, I never caught any other shiny Pokemon in Gold, and I only managed to find one other. It was a Teddiursa (I believe I found it just south of Blackthorn), but it was a much lower level than the rest of my party. Even though I sent out my weakest Pokemon to face it, I still knocked it out with my weakest move. I didn't feel too bad, since I figured that shinies were semi-common (found it just a day or two after my shiny Gyarados), but little did I know I wouldn't find another shiny for 5 years.
Old April 16th, 2013, 02:42 PM
Otter Mii-kun
Molly... ♥ ;)

I really liked the idea of 'shiny' Pokémon when I first heard of the concept. Apart from Red Gyarados, I only encountered a shiny once, in Silver. Unfortunately, I didn't capture it, partly because I didn't notice an all-that-different coloration, and I didn't know what the 'clickclickclickclickclick' was all about.
Old April 16th, 2013, 03:05 PM
Shadowraze
Love and Peace

Send a message via Skype™ to Shadowraze
Well, I never really caught a Shiny Pokemon in Generation II. (Except for Gyarados ofc)

Idk, but it seems easier to get shinies in the newer generations.
Old April 18th, 2013, 05:15 AM
Trx45XD
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Timid
I've never actually seen another shiny besides the Gyarados. I'm never very lucky with percent chances to see a pokemon. I always hoped I'd get absurdly lucky and find a shiny legendary. Ho-oh looks pretty awesome as a shiny in my opinion.
Old April 18th, 2013, 08:35 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
I only ever saw a shiny Raticate that I failed to catch other that the Red Gyarados. I totally argewe that newer games are easier to get shiny pokemon in.
Old April 18th, 2013, 09:39 AM
Amaura
Longneck Thingymabob
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Amaura
I've had a few shinies. Only one in Gen II, other than the Gyarados. I managed to find a shiny Gligar south of Blackthorn City. I knew it was a rare pokemon just because of the sparkles that happened when I ran into it, I did end up catching it. I like how in Gen II when you ran into a shiny, you knew that it would be stronger than most of the other pokes that you encountered. Since the DVs had to be so high. (in Gen II they were DVs, in Gen III and after they're known as IVs)

This ancient Pokémon was restored from part of its body that had been frozen in ice for over 100 million years.
Trade Thread3DS FCPair
Old April 18th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Sheep
MUFFINS ya pls

I remember hatching a shiny from that egg the day care couple gave you in Crystal... if memory serves, it was a shiny Cleffa? Never understood what that meant though so I have no idea what happened to it. @_@;

Really wanted a shiny Butterfree though. It reminded me of the pink one from the anime!

Old April 20th, 2013, 08:04 AM
razor8771

the only shinies i ever got apart from the gyarados was a shiny zubat in union cave and a shiny cleffa from the day care couples egg
Old April 21st, 2013, 03:51 AM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
I really liked the idea of shiny Pokémon. I remember having a shiny Golem, and then cloning it heaps of times. I would've liked a shiny Vaporeon, or a shiny Butterfree, especially seeing as that trainer mentioned on at the Lake of Rage.
Old April 24th, 2013, 06:22 AM
.hack

Nature: Naughty
I had a shiny Hitmonlee and my friend had a shiny pigeot. On crystal I hatched so many charmanders trying to get a shiny with no luck :/

Gpx:

Old April 24th, 2013, 08:33 AM
Chalifoux
ZIGZAGOON!
Community Supporter

I had a shiny Togepi (Elm's), as well as a shiny Magby and a shiny Sentret. I never raised them, though. They looked so awesome :p
But I wanted my starter to be shiny. But no matter how many times I soft reseted. That never happened...
Old April 25th, 2013, 12:06 PM
AzaleaLightning
Bouncer, hey bouncer ♪

Nature: Sassy
I caught a shiny Krabby and Drowzee in Crystal, and saw a Nidorina but had no Poke Balls. I didn't even know they were shiny until a couple years later, all I knew was that they were different/unique so I had to catch them lol.

Tumblr | MyAnimeList
Ooh, let me in right now
or I'll get physical with you

Old April 25th, 2013, 05:31 PM
ORegan
I'm dating your mom
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
I had a shiny Golbat that I found on Victory Road. I didn't know that shiny Pokemon were ridiculously rare and I knocked it out on accident when I encountered it. Thinking it was like a Legendary Pokemon, I reloaded my last save and went back to look for it in the same area....and I encountered it again....and proceeded to knock it out a second time. I found it a third time and finally caught.

Haven't seen a shiny since then. Guess fortune is no longer shining on me.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 04:23 AM
Fabiano il Capo
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Careful
Send a message via Skype™ to Fabiano il Capo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendino View Post
Even though I sent out my weakest Pokemon to face it, I still knocked it out with my weakest move.
Hahahaha happened to me too!! With Shuckle...
Old May 5th, 2013, 11:02 AM
Hidden Power

I liked the idea of shiny Pokemons, it seems something showy to be exhibited trophy in spite of most of the Pokemon's shiny color doesn't please me very much. Except the Red Gyarados, I have encountered shiny Pokemon three times by now. I like few of the shiny palette colour, and as example I could mention the Black Charizard, Red Gyarados, Pink Swampert and Green Salamence.
Old May 10th, 2013, 12:29 PM
TenaciousWolf
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Modest
Generation 2 brought me the best and worst luck of any game. The very first shiny I encountered was Phanpy on my Silver version, which would erase any save data after turning the game off. Back then I had no idea what a shiny was, though, I just thought the Phanpy that emerged sparkling was really cool. Later on, I had just caught Lugia in Crystal version but used all of my Poke Balls on it, went fishing without buying more, and found a shiny Krabby. The first shiny I managed to capture was Venonat in the Bug Catching Contest. It lost to a Metapod in the judging part, though.

Forever a fan of Lickitung.
Old May 13th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Uzumaki Naruto Jr.
Champion

I've had a few shinies. Only one in Gen II, other than the Gyarados, was a Shiny Lugia. I felt so lucky, but then my game crashed and I lost it. .-.
Old May 15th, 2013, 05:49 PM
Tatodoc21
Emblem Trainer

Nature: Docile
I've encountered and raised a shiny trapinch, then my sister found a shiny swablu and fled..... I also found a shiny tentacool and raised it to tentacruel.
Old May 15th, 2013, 06:23 PM
Munchlax11
Munch?

Nature: Serious
I remember finding a shiny sentret. This was only a few years ago on a replay of the game. So it was early in the game and I couldn't save because the internal battery died or something like that :/

|Ever Grande City Forums|My Profile|PM|Pokemoon Chatbox

Pokemon X
3DS FC: 2852-7439-1811
(VM if you add)
Old May 16th, 2013, 06:57 AM
Azure
» Flame!
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Azure
To be honest I wasn't really made aware of shiny Pokemon until a little after the release of Diamond & Pearl when I encountered a Shiny Shinx. However at a later date I did run into a Shiny Spearow on Crystal which I managed to capture!

Old May 17th, 2013, 11:47 PM
ruine87
Unhatched Egg

the only shinys ive ever caught were in silver years ago i caught a butterfree and a grass pokemon that i can not for the life of me remember :/
Old May 20th, 2013, 06:39 AM
~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
Buffalo State College

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via AIM to ~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
I really didn't know about shiny Pokemon until 3 months after beating the game, so for the Red Gyarados, I just caught it because I needed one (had no idea it was shiny), so I didn't get any shiny Pokemon in my Pokemon Silver game other than Gyarados, but in Gold, I got a shiny Geodude, Gastly and Pidgey and in Pokemon Crystal, I got a shiny Sentret, Unown (can't remember what letter), and Hoothoot.

TG

Friend Code: 3136-6961-3807 Friend Safari:Steel: Metang, Magneton and Klefi
Old May 21st, 2013, 01:29 PM
Lilith
Protect his very soul.

Nature: Mild
I love shiny Pokemon! The epic shiny animation is probably the main reason why I'm so fascinated by shiny Pokemon. My first wild shiny was a shiny Weedle. Yeah yeah, I know his shiny color is still quite yellow and he isn't the greatest Pokemon. I absolutely love shiny Beedrill's color scheme, though. Green and blue rock. <3 My second wild shiny was a shiny Grimer, but unfortunately, she fled. For some reason, several Pokemon had this random chance to flee. Bummer!

This all happened in Crystal. I also hatched several shinies from the Odd Egg from the daycare couple. I know I hatched a shiny male Igglybuff. He was really cool, but I never evolved him. Yay having a level 40 baby Pokemon! I want to say that I also hatched a shiny Elekid in another play through, but since the colors were so similar, I can't really remember if it was shiny or not.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 08:34 PM
lmcde22

I always wanted a gold Magikarp. I wish they let you catch it too instead of an already-evolved red Gyrados
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links