Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central
Reload this Page Help General Questions & Answers Thread

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.
Sort Threads: Featured | Spinoffs

View Poll Results: Have you ever found a shiny?
Yes 5 83.33%
No 1 16.67%
Yes, but I lost it! 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 22nd, 2013 (05:02 PM). Edited May 22nd, 2013 by Limerent.
Platinum Tier

Nature: Quiet
Quote originally posted by Sydian:
You can rebattle the trainers in Pyrite Town. There's also the Pre-Gym if you haven't done that, in Phenac City. Also, merging this with the Q&A thread since it's question-y. Then we also won't have to deal with the inaccurate title, lol.

Edit: btw, Altaria ia an amazing Pokemon that you should keep on your permanent team! I'm really biased though lol
Altaria is definitely amazing, no bias required I swapped one from a GBA Game and had two or maybe even 3 high levelled ones in total... But uh, you could also vs the Pyrite Colosseum a few times, get yourself some nice money and TM's in addition to experience! Don't forget those annoying trainers in the dilapidated building with the "Off Limits" elevator
Old May 23rd, 2013 (12:16 AM).
Memento Mori
Gold Tier

Nature: Calm
Quote originally posted by OliveCopper:
Sorry if it says "shiny" instead of "shadow", I didn't notice that.

Unfortunately, I am unable to train Swablu to evolve it into an Altaria. I defeated every trainer there is at that point, and Swablu hasn't gotten enough experience to reach Level 35. How am I supposed to do any training?
Do you have Umbreon?
Toxic works like a charm as well.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old May 23rd, 2013 (10:06 PM).

Why is every flying type a dual type? Why can't a Pokemon just be flying, anyone? Is it just a standard to put normal next to flying.
Old May 23rd, 2013 (10:17 PM).
happy
Crystal Tier

Nature: Quirky
Quote originally posted by ProfGrove:
Why is every flying type a dual type? Why can't a Pokemon just be flying, anyone? Is it just a standard to put normal next to flying.
Generation 5 did introduce a pure Flying-type Pokemon, the Legendary Pokemon Tornadus. And that's not even counting Sky Plate Arceus. But yeah most Flying-types often get paired with another type, with Normal, Water and Bug among the most common.
Old May 23rd, 2013 (10:28 PM).

Quote originally posted by Hikari10:
Generation 5 did introduce a pure Flying-type Pokemon, the Legendary Pokemon Tornadus. And that's not even counting Sky Plate Arceus. But yeah most Flying-types often get paired with another type, with Normal, Water and Bug among the most common.
Oh, okay. Didn't know that, am just now playing Pokemon White Version.
Old May 26th, 2013 (05:34 AM).
Lametrainer

Nature: Jolly
Hey everybody, the first spinoff game I've played was Red Rescue Team, I didn't like it because of its difficult controls & not so cool graphics, but I kinda liked the story...
I then saw screenshots of Gates To Infinity & I liked the graphics a lot, so...
Do you think Gates To Infinity might be the one for me? (please list pros & cons
Old May 26th, 2013 (11:12 AM).

Well I haven't played Pokemon since Emerald. I want to try out the new generations but I don't want to go through every single game. Could somebody lay out the best games to play throughout? I've mastered every Pokemon game up to emerald. This is my order of favorites so far. Yellow , Gold , Sapphire , FireRed , Emerald. I know there is diamond , black etc. Which should I go for? Is platinum the same story line as diamond and pearl? By the way i'm going to place this on an emulator if I can find one.
Old May 26th, 2013 (01:18 PM).
blow a kiss, fire a gun
Super ModeratorCS

Nature: Timid
If you're going to play a gen IV game to pick back up after Emerald, Platinum is the way to go! It fixed a lot of problems that Diamond and Pearl had, so you definitely want to play that and just...ignore that Diamond and Pearl exist, in all honesty. Next you'll want to play either HeartGold or SoulSilver, remakes of Gold and Silver with a lot of influence from Crystal as well. :) Black and White are both great as well, though I recommend White over Black because of the version exclusives. Plus there's a place with really nice music that Black kind of got jipped on, lol. And then after that, there's Black 2 and White 2. You'll want to play the one that matches up with the game you just finished. So if you get White, you'll probably want White 2. Though tbh, Black 2 has most of the version exclusives you miss out on in White, so that might be the better choice.

If you have questions about those games specifically, feel free to ask in the Q&A threads for those games, like if you want to know more about Black 2, you could ask in the B2W2 Q&A thread in Fifth Generation Gaming. :)

tl;dr I recommend Platinum, then HeartGold or SoulSilver, then Black or White, then Black 2 or White 2. :)

trade | challenges | vgm | klippy
Old May 27th, 2013 (12:15 AM).

Isn't HeartGold and Soulsilver the same story-line?
Old May 27th, 2013 (12:31 AM).
happy
Crystal Tier

Nature: Quirky
Quote originally posted by Miazhu:
Isn't HeartGold and Soulsilver the same story-line?
They do share the same story, the only difference being the Legendary mascot you encounter before facing the Elite Four, as well as differences with the available Pokemon.
Old June 1st, 2013 (11:23 AM).

Question. I'v been thinking about getting into the games for a while now, so I'v been wondering if it would be worth it to get Ruby/Emerald/LeafGreen/FireRed/Colosseum/XD (I have Sapphire). I ask because I'v done a lot of research and it seems like you can catch pretty much all the Pokemon from those in the gen 4-5 games.
I'm the type that if I got REALLY into the games, I'd want to catch every Pokemon legitimately possible, lol. I know it would costs a lot since I pretty much only have one of 17 games that can transfer throughout each-other, as well as needing a 3ds as I only have a lite.

So does anyone know if there's anything special about some Pokemon or anything in the gen 3 games?
Old June 1st, 2013 (03:02 PM).
blow a kiss, fire a gun
Super ModeratorCS

tbh, if you want to get all the gen III Pokemon, you're better off dealing with a gen V game. You don't even need to get all the games anymore to collect all the Pokemon, really. You can get a gen V game and trade with people here on PC using the Trade Corner to get other Pokemon you need, and then there are also many available in Dream World and Dream Radar, which is on 3DS, so if you plan on getting one, then there ya go. I don't know much about Dream World or Radar, I'm afraid.

But from a playing standpoint, if you want to have a bit of fun, I recommend getting FireRed or LeafGreen, Colosseum, and Gale of Darkness. They're all great games on their own, without the massive Pokemon collecting, haha. You already have Sapphire, but if you want to play through Hoenn again and don't want to restart your Sapphire, Emerald is the way to go. But if you're buying online, be very cautious with buying GBA games. A lot of them are faked. If you run across a GBA Pokemon game you want to but, feel free to come to this thread and post pictures of the game you want to purchase so that some of us can help you identify whether or not it's fake.

Old June 1st, 2013 (05:56 PM).

I've been lurking on ebay and I saw this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281115509848?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
The price is very attractive
Black 1 has no box
Black 2 has box, no manual
Send from USA
From pics, cartridges look legit, not faded or grayish like many fakes I've seen.
Would you say these are real or fake?
Also, is there really any major drawback to a game being fake?
Thanks for answering, sorry if this breaks any rules. I read the rules and didn't see anything against this.
Also I wasn't sure if this should go here or under Pokemon Gaming Central.
Thanks for reading!
Old June 1st, 2013 (06:25 PM).

It's real don't worry man I have both
Old June 2nd, 2013 (05:32 AM).
I'M AN ANGRY SCIENTIST!!
Super Moderator

Nature: Jolly
Well, likely real. Sometimes fakes look very convincing, sadly. Still, nothing really suggests they are fake from what I see, but just be wary with buying games online.

I will merge this with the questions thread of the Pokemon Gaming Central section as your question is specific to games (besides the anime as well or whatnot). Just in case someone else has thoughts to offer on the games being real/fake.
Old June 2nd, 2013 (09:28 AM). Edited June 2nd, 2013 by Roychu.

Quote originally posted by Roychu:
I've been lurking on ebay and I saw this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281115509848?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
The price is very attractive
Black 1 has no box
Black 2 has box, no manual
Send from USA
From pics, cartridges look legit, not faded or grayish like many fakes I've seen.
Would you say these are real or fake?
Also, is there really any major drawback to a game being fake?
Thanks for answering, sorry if this breaks any rules. I read the rules and didn't see anything against this.
Also I wasn't sure if this should go here or under Pokemon Gaming Central.
Thanks for reading!
The seller sent me 2 new pictures. I'm pretty sure they're legit-
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$T2eC16h,!yEE9s5jHPtcBRqt,HzJcw~~60_4.JPG
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$T2eC16NHJHIFFh!kYy+mBRqtb(rw,!~~60_4.JPG
What do you say?
60$ for both + 15$ shipping- Used in Great Condition
or
Roughly 91$ (shipping included) for both, Completely New, from ShopTo.net
(the difference in the price is equal to 3 hours where I work)
So what do you say?
My Heart Gold FC - 0262 1253 3957

I admin a pokemon-based page on facebook - facebook.com/PkmnUltimateGold

My Welcome Lounge thread - http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=7685453#post7685453
Old June 2nd, 2013 (01:23 PM).
blow a kiss, fire a gun
Super ModeratorCS

Those look legit to me. DS games aren't as faked as GBA games, so I'd say you're good to go!

Old June 3rd, 2013 (02:58 PM). Edited June 3rd, 2013 by Roychu.

I've got some questions :D
1. Why do people who are not from Japan, buy and play the Japanese versions of the Pokémon games?
2. Why do people prefer UT pokémon? (I assume it means untouched as in never participated in a battle or gained an EXP point)
3. Can you participate in events from other regions (for example, Japan) by using a Japanese game, or a Japanese ROM of the game through a flashcart?
4. Why do people demand nickname-able pokémon? Are there any pokémon that cannot be nicknamed?
5. Say I have a shiny Charmander. If I breed him with a Ditto (one who ISN'T from a different region), will the offspring have a higher chance of being shiny? Will it ALWAYS be shiny?
6. Are 'cloned' pokemon (through either AR codes, or GTS clone glitch or w.e) considered legit?
7. If I participate in a Nintendo event with a ROM via a flashcart, (For example, getting the recent Deoxys through Mystery Gift on an R4 with a Black 2 rom) considered legit?
8. What is up with Headbutt? I read somewhere that if a tree doesn't give a pokemon the first time, it never will & if it does, it always will. But then, on Serebii, I read that there are different kinds of tree, common and rare... I'm really confused

I think that's it for now :D Thanks!
My Heart Gold FC - 0262 1253 3957

I admin a pokemon-based page on facebook - facebook.com/PkmnUltimateGold

My Welcome Lounge thread - http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=7685453#post7685453
Old June 3rd, 2013 (03:09 PM).

My question is, how do you clone Pokemon? And why do some people not like clones?

Don't kill me if I disappear in a trade, I work in public safety, sometimes stuff happens. I'll be back.
I have a Rock type Friend Safari with Boldore, Corsola, & Barbacle. PM me to trade FCs.

Have a few legendaries & some rare Pokemon to complete my National dex. Clones or touch trades would be great. If we do touch trades, I do have some legendaries for touch trade only. Help is appreciated.
Old June 3rd, 2013 (04:04 PM).
PONPONPON
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Roychu:
I've got some questions :D
1. Why do people who are not from Japan, buy and play the Japanese versions of the Pokémon games?
2. Why do people prefer UT pokémon? (I assume it means untouched as in never participated in a battle or gained an EXP point)
3. Can you participate in events from other regions (for example, Japan) by using a Japanese game, or a Japanese ROM of the game through a flashcart?
4. Why do people demand nickname-able pokémon? Are there any pokémon that cannot be nicknamed?
5. Say I have a shiny Charmander. If I breed him with a Ditto (one who ISN'T from a different region), will the offspring have a higher chance of being shiny? Will it ALWAYS be shiny?
6. Are 'cloned' pokemon (through either AR codes, or GTS clone glitch or w.e) considered legit?
7. If I participate in a Nintendo event with a ROM via a flashcart, (For example, getting the recent Deoxys through Mystery Gift on an R4 with a Black 2 rom) considered legit?
8. What is up with Headbutt? I read somewhere that if a tree doesn't give a pokemon the first time, it never will & if it does, it always will. But then, on Serebii, I read that there are different kinds of tree, common and rare... I'm really confused :S

I think that's it for now :D Thanks!
1. Some people like having foreign Pokemon, purely for collection or aesthetic reasons.
2. UT Pokemon are more desirable because they have not been tampered with. Therefore you can shape it to what ever you want. Events even more so for collectors, think of it as a rare new game from 10 years ago compared to a one that was opened and played with.
3. Yes you can, though only Wi-Fi events unless you plan to travel to the country in question for the local events.
4. Some people like nicknames because it gives the Pokemon more meaning, some don't. It's personal preference really.
5. No, if you breed shiny Pokemon together it will still be the same 1/8192. Unless you are playing G/S/C, in which case the chances increase, though it's variable depending on the species.
6. They are considered legit by only some people. In Trade Corner we allow cloned Pokemon to be traded as long as they are clones of legit Pokemon. However some people do not like them, be sure to ask them before trading!
7. Once again, some people consider them legit while some don't. Always ask the person in question before trading.
8. Headbutting trees only appears in G/S/C and HG/SS. Basically, some trees allow you to encounter Pokemon, while some will not ever contain Pokemon no matter how many times you Headbutt it. The specific kinds of trees are the ones that contain one kind of Pokemon that is not normally native to HG/SS and those Pokemon can only be found in one tree respectively.

Phew, is that it? I hope I answered your questions and gave you the answer you needed >.<

Quote originally posted by rebelxgirl:
My question is, how do you clone Pokemon? And why do some people not like clones?
There are few different ways, glitch (on certain games), Action Replay, or Pokemon Editing Programs. Some people do not like clones because they view them as hacked or cheated.

Friend Codes
Y

Trade Reviews
Click Here

Ever wonder what goes through my head as I breed Pokemon? Want to see all the steps and pains I take to provide Pokemon for all of you? Well clicky clicky [here].
Old June 3rd, 2013 (05:34 PM).

Quote originally posted by tabor62:
1. Some people like having foreign Pokemon, purely for collection or aesthetic reasons.
2. UT Pokemon are more desirable because they have not been tampered with. Therefore you can shape it to what ever you want. Events even more so for collectors, think of it as a rare new game from 10 years ago compared to a one that was opened and played with.
3. Yes you can, though only Wi-Fi events unless you plan to travel to the country in question for the local events.
4. Some people like nicknames because it gives the Pokemon more meaning, some don't. It's personal preference really.
5. No, if you breed shiny Pokemon together it will still be the same 1/8192. Unless you are playing G/S/C, in which case the chances increase, though it's variable depending on the species.
6. They are considered legit by only some people. In Trade Corner we allow cloned Pokemon to be traded as long as they are clones of legit Pokemon. However some people do not like them, be sure to ask them before trading!
7. Once again, some people consider them legit while some don't. Always ask the person in question before trading.
8. Headbutting trees only appears in G/S/C and HG/SS. Basically, some trees allow you to encounter Pokemon, while some will not ever contain Pokemon no matter how many times you Headbutt it. The specific kinds of trees are the ones that contain one kind of Pokemon that is not normally native to HG/SS and those Pokemon can only be found in one tree respectively.

Phew, is that it? I hope I answered your questions and gave you the answer you needed >.<

There are few different ways, glitch (on certain games), Action Replay, or Pokemon Editing Programs. Some people do not like clones because they view them as hacked or cheated.
Ok, got ya.

Also, apparently my PalPad is saved to my DS? Cause I just went to enter the WFC for the first time since I got my 3DS & all my PalPad entries are gone. Strange.

Don't kill me if I disappear in a trade, I work in public safety, sometimes stuff happens. I'll be back.
I have a Rock type Friend Safari with Boldore, Corsola, & Barbacle. PM me to trade FCs.

Have a few legendaries & some rare Pokemon to complete my National dex. Clones or touch trades would be great. If we do touch trades, I do have some legendaries for touch trade only. Help is appreciated.
Old June 3rd, 2013 (06:10 PM).
blow a kiss, fire a gun
Super ModeratorCS

Quote:
Also, apparently my PalPad is saved to my DS? Cause I just went to enter the WFC for the first time since I got my 3DS & all my PalPad entries are gone. Strange.
This is true. When you swap consoles and go into WFC, your FC will change and your Pal Pad is erased. It depends on the console, so yeah. It happened to me too and it took me a while to realize it, haha.

Old June 3rd, 2013 (06:24 PM).

Quote originally posted by Sydian:
This is true. When you swap consoles and go into WFC, your FC will change and your Pal Pad is erased. It depends on the console, so yeah. It happened to me too and it took me a while to realize it, haha.
It changes your FC too?? *expletive* Lovely, I just gave my FC to somebody for a trade here in a few. Fiddle sticks! lol

Old June 3rd, 2013 (06:28 PM).
blow a kiss, fire a gun
Super ModeratorCS

They'll understand! Your new FC should be in your Pal Pad. Just check it. :) If it's not, go into WFC and come back out and it'll definitely be there. Also, the last person I heard say "fiddle sticks" was my me maw, so thanks for reminding me of her haha. <3

Old June 8th, 2013 (01:50 PM).
Over Achiever

Nature: Adamant
Okay, I've fully EV Trained my Scyther and I was wondering if I should stop leveling it up at level 50, or continue all the way to level 100. I understand when you go to a VGC or Pokemon VG Event that your pokemon are reduced to level 50 and their stats are reduced to that of a pokemon's stats would be at level 50, but are their EV's kept the same?

I'm confused whether it would be a waste of time EV training then leveling up my pokemon to 100 if their stats are going to be reduced. So, here's the question again, after EV Traning, should I or do you level your pokemon to 100 or 50 for Video Game events.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)