The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Advertise here

View Poll Results: Pick a starter.
Chespin 322 30.96%
Fennekin 536 51.54%
Froakie 295 28.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1040. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 22nd, 2013, 05:43 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by shubham2207 View Post
if gf is gunna make fennekin fire/fight, then make it a defensive pokemon. I really loved scrafty. He had great movepool and a gud ability, moxie.
What do you mean by this? Scrafty is more of an offensive Pokemon than a defensive, iirc. oO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krookodile777 View Post
Yeah making them evolve into half new types like Fire/Fairy would be great

The information I read (That came from a source who correctly gave the names of 4 new pokemon before they were officially released) had also mentioned a few other new types

I think there was like, Sound type, Cosmic, and Magic in addition to Fairy

I think Fairy & Magic were possibly the same type and I confused something though

So what if....

Fennekin : Fire/Fairy
Froaki : Water/Cosmic
Chespin : Grass/Sound
I disagree with this, but I'd rather let Suicune's quote do the talking for me. xD;

Quote:
I think if they're going to introduce a type, it will only be the single type and I doubt any of the starters will gain that as a second type.
While new types are an amazing thing and all in concept...must there be so many of them to add? If anything, there'll just be one type to add in this generation, seeing as literally no other type warrants nerfing whatsoever other than dragons. Any more would really just clutter up the type chat and it'll just be a redundant addition, at least in my eyes. o.o;
Old May 22nd, 2013, 06:50 AM
shubham2207
Metallurgy Master (Excadrill)

Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Post
What do you mean by this? Scrafty is more of an offensive Pokemon than a defensive, iirc. oO
i meant he has defensive stats better than offensive stats. Sry fr confusn..:-(
Old May 22nd, 2013, 11:14 AM
hiff8
Gotta Derp em all

Sorry to those who like fennekin but she looks Awwwesssffullll to me, way to chibi and girly. One thing's for sure that we've ended the Fire-Fighting chain. I think Froaky might turn flying or psychic judging by those clouds which is why I'm going for him
Old May 22nd, 2013, 11:21 AM
pedrito3_poke
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiff8 View Post
I think Froaky might turn flying or psychic judging by those clouds which is why I'm going for him
Those are actually bubbles.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 11:29 AM
hiff8
Gotta Derp em all

They look like clouds to me, they're so white
Old May 22nd, 2013, 12:10 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

I just imagine Froakie going one of three routes:
  • Water/Ice
  • Water/Flying (A frog that can fly. You know this isn't outside the realm of possibility here!)
  • Water

And it's honestly hard for me to pick between the three. Knowing how "out-of-the-box" Gamefreak tends to be, I'm tempted to gravitate towards the second option, though I wouldn't be surprised either if it was the last or the first one.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 12:41 PM
cataboy123
Unhatched Egg

Lets go fennekin! I hope I am able to choose him.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 08:40 PM
shubham2207

Quote:
I just imagine Froakie going one of three routes:
  • Water/Ice
  • Water/Flying (A frog that can fly. You know this isn't outside the realm of possibility here!)
  • Water

And it's honestly hard for me to pick between the three. Knowing how "out-of-the-box" Gamefreak tends to be, I'm tempted to gravitate towards the second option, though I wouldn't be surprised either if it was the last or the first one.
i m expecting froakie water/fight b'cuz in the first trailer, it was seen using a physical fighting move.

About chespin, i m xpecting grass/ground
and fennekin fire/dark..!
Old May 22nd, 2013, 09:10 PM
Krookodile777
Togepi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataboy123 View Post
Lets go fennekin! I hope I am able to choose him.
Why wouldn't you be able to choose him?

https://www.pokecheck.org/?p=search&...15-61212-99488
Or 15-61212-99488 (Watch on your DS)
(^Good battle video of mine)
Old May 22nd, 2013, 09:10 PM
LycaNinja
Werewolf Assassin

Nature: Docile
Quote:
Originally Posted by shubham2207 View Post
i m expecting froakie water/fight b'cuz in the first trailer, it was seen using a physical fighting move.

About chespin, i m xpecting grass/ground
and fennekin fire/dark..!
Pretty sure Froakie was using the move Quick Attack... A normal type move... Suggesting he might be a fast attacker... (Not against him being Fighting, just saying)

On another note, I think Chespin might also be a Grass/Rock-Ground-Steel type, as his French name, Marisson, comes from "hérisson", the French word for porcupine. I picture a Porcupine being Rock/Ground/Steel type...

Old May 22nd, 2013, 09:50 PM
Vaati Fulbuster
High level pokemon trainer

Nature: Brave
I like Chespin the most. He doesn't look cute or so, and i hate pokemons with the bricht smiles and pink colors etc.
It's not that i hate those, but just will never train them.

Kyogre vs Groundon. ~Pokemon Emerald.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 06:30 AM
Grif of Hearts
Que sera sera~

Nature: Naive
Since I first saw these revealed, Froakie has yet to lose my attention. It will almost definitely be the first Pokemon I choose for my starter.

Chespin also looks like it has an awful lot of potential to me, and I am eager to see how it evolves. I am expecting a fighting type.

Fennekin has been less interesting, in my opinion, although that is not to say I dislike it. The other two are a little more to my tastes. I would not be surprised if it became a fire/ground type, actually, considering it is based on a fennec fox.

I faintly remember hearing that the new starter types would be as follows.

Fire/Psychic.
Water/Dark.
Grass/Fighting.

Of course, I have no reference or source from that. It's all rumours, rather than anything solid. I would, however, be perfectly content with this typing set.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 07:20 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Mmmmm, I wouldn't have any issues with Chespin's final evo being Grass/Fighting, but preferably I'd like to have it be like Torterra and be Grass/Ground, if not Grass/Rock. Seems like it'd evolve into something huge and bulky, so might as well make it a bulky type, more or less. xD;

Though I guess Fighting is very possible as well~!
Old May 23rd, 2013, 09:41 AM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Those three typing have been suggested as secondary typings since gen 4, it makes me think the rumors are just fan service making us think our wish is fulfilled...hopefully it will be but I wouldn't hold my hopes too high. Also maybe they end up switching the secondary types on us, Froakie will be Water/Psychic, and Chespin Grass/Dark, and Fennekin Fire/Fighting...it'll complete the trio but it'll also mean another Fire/Fighting...also maybe instead of Water/Dark for froakie it could be Water/Ghost...however that'll mean Chespin's fighting moves won't work, of course the way the rumor sets it up it's Fennekin's psychic that won't work on Froakie's dark...
Old May 23rd, 2013, 09:55 AM
Grif of Hearts
Que sera sera~

Nature: Naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaruby and Aquasapphire View Post
Those three typing have been suggested as secondary typings since gen 4, it makes me think the rumors are just fan service making us think our wish is fulfilled...
That typing wouldn't be my preference, although I see nothing wrong with it. It probably is fan service though and has no real basis, which is why I'm hesitant to believe it just yet. Still, it's better than another fire/fighting type, eh?

Honestly? I like to imagine the white "fur" on Froakie to be clouds or mist, and it slowly evolving into a water/flying type Pokémon. I'd love to see a flying frog, similar to how Musharna floats while surrounded by pink mist. I can imagine Froakie growing a little overweight if that does happen, preferring to use their powers rather than move around on their own. They'll be so cuddly and adorable! ♥
Old May 23rd, 2013, 01:12 PM
pedrito3_poke
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiff8 View Post
They look like clouds to me, they're so white
From the official website:
Old May 23rd, 2013, 02:02 PM
Community Supporter

Hmm could Froakie evolve into a defensive Pokemon? Than again Swampert is said to be as fast as a jet ski and it's not all that fast...but it is quite strong like it's RS entry says (the part with the boulder).
Old May 23rd, 2013, 02:26 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

You know, I think it would be interesting if Froakie would evolve to be a more defensive starter. Could bring about some good results (even though I personally prefer offensive Pokemon). Honestly, it look like a more physical water type, though hopefully it's able o be a Pokemon that's able to utilize both attack and special attack interchangeably.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 03:24 PM
Community Supporter

I too hope it'll be a mix attacker. Fennekin looks like it'll be a special attacker unlike Tepig which looked more physical to me upon it's reveal. Now Chespin may be defensive...or maybe a mighty glacier of sorts? In other words it has High Attack and Defenses but horrible speed.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 05:08 PM
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
I could definitely see Chespin just kind of being a slow attacker. At the same time I could also just see it evolving into a glass cannon type Pokémon. I just don't picture it as a purely defensive Pokémon personally. Honestly, I don't really picture any of the Pokémon being a defensive type at all. They all kind of just seem like attackers of some sort.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 06:59 PM
shubham2207

Quote:
You know, I think it would be interesting if Froakie would evolve to be a more defensive starter. Could bring about some good results (even though I personally prefer offensive Pokemon). Honestly, it look like a more physical water type, though hopefully it's able o be a Pokemon that's able to utilize both attack and special attack interchangeably.
if froakie is gonna be defensive, then i might pick him cuz i like bulky sweepers like swampert, serperior..
Old May 23rd, 2013, 08:20 PM
Belldandy
ღ Cammybear ღ
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Hoping not. Like others, I'd prefer if Froakie was the speedy one this time 'round too many bulky water types as it is.
My Trade Thread
Breedject Sign-Up Thread
Friend Safari: Munna, Gothorita, Espurr
Native Scatterbugs: Polar, Ocean, Sun
Old May 23rd, 2013, 09:25 PM
Airhead
Banned

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakow View Post
I thought they looked pretty good - well at least compared to Black and White haha.
I'll have you know that Tepig, Oshawott and Smugleaf are AWESOME! They could be worse, waaaaaaaaaaay worse.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 10:47 PM
Starfury
Humans are such unfortunate animals...
Community Supporter

Well Froakie was a huge disappointment with his features and his name.

If I had to pick one for my starter, it would most likely be Chespin. I think mainly about how they'll look when they're fully evolved. Otherwise Fennekin is pretty cute but I don't usually pick fire-types for my starting pokemon.

I will choose for good once I see how they all turn out. After all, we have until October to decide, right?

Last edited by Starfury; May 23rd, 2013 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Made a mistake.
Old May 24th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gym Leader Rozu View Post
I'll have you know that Tepig, Oshawott and Smugleaf are AWESOME! They could be worse, waaaaaaaaaaay worse. {XD}
Gotta agree with this. For myself, I've learned not to really complain much about the starter types, they don't tend to really look bad (well at least, to me!). That and, seeing as I'm a grass-type fanatic, as long as the grass-type starter looks either cute or badass, everything is okay in my book. :x
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here