The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Art & Design

Notices

Art & Design For digital, traditional, design, photography and mixed media art, Pokémon-related or not. Showcase or discuss anything related to the visual arts here.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 24th, 2013 (05:11 PM).
Sunfished
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Nature: Lax
That looks really great Alexial! :D
Love that pincer for a tail. Awesome use of many "buggy" features as well!

Here's the unshaded version of the final grass starter evo:

And, a sketch example of the Ghost Eevee:

Its(her?) body was drawn a tiny bit smaller than usual, but i'll fix it up later.
Anyway, it's tail is a lantern, which in folklore represented the guidance of lost souls.
And it feels like its missing something, even though the eevees look like that too, so I might just stop adding useless features to its body.
Old May 24th, 2013 (07:36 PM).
⊗Slenderman⊗
[Left PC]
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Sorry about my inactivity. A family member died a few days ago, and I've been busy with helping to clean out her apartment and the like.

I don't know if one already exists here, but I recently remembered my concept for a Flying-type Eeveelution. My only drawings of it are months old, but I can try to post an old sketch tomorrow (it's 11:30pm here right now).

I also have been working on the Zangoose evolution, and have made some progress on that. Nothing worth posting yet.
(Copy/paste the above into your browser)
Old May 24th, 2013 (08:15 PM).
Fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ⊗Slenderman⊗ View Post
Sorry about my inactivity. A family member died a few days ago, and I've been busy with helping to clean out her apartment and the like.

I don't know if one already exists here, but I recently remembered my concept for a Flying-type Eeveelution. My only drawings of it are months old, but I can try to post an old sketch tomorrow (it's 11:30pm here right now).

I also have been working on the Zangoose evolution, and have made some progress on that. Nothing worth posting yet.
Aw, I'm sorry to hear that. :( I hope you and your family are coping well with your loss.

(heh, kinda feels weird jumping from that right into pokemon conversation, ya know? :x)

As of currently, we already have a flying type design.. however, feel free to post pics so we can get a good idea of it.

@ Sunny : Aw, it's such a cutie! :D I won't update the first post with it yet cause I know you'll keep working on it, but I definitely like how it looks so far! If you can, try to develop the ghostie bits on it to look more wispy. Right now, they look a little globular and amorphous. But it's still early in the design, so I have faith in you. :) Is the tail supposed to be a lantern? Just curious.

Also, super big thanks to everyone. You guys have been doing so much work to make this project really special and I want to try to do something nice for all the contributors. n_n; You guys rock! <3
Old May 24th, 2013 (11:52 PM).
Jetstream9777

Oh sorry I will try and draw a dragon eevee
Old May 25th, 2013 (12:05 AM).
BeefTaco

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexial357 View Post
Okay, first post is a little more updated. Haven't done your individual assignments yet though.

Anyway, check it out guys. I've got a Bug type Eevee evolution for ya

Thoughts?

I'm iffy on showing you guys my Fighting type Eevee cause I recently found another version that looks an awful lot like mine. I based it off of general fighting dogs, who usually have cropped ears and tails.. but apparently I'm not the first person to do that lol. I'm going to take another crack at it before showing everyone.
This is great, the chest looks really good I gotta practice in those kinda textures. So I decided to make Bird like legendary since somebody recommended a bird pokemon based on Roc and I think thats a great idea for a design, I'll try not to dissapoint.
Old May 25th, 2013 (11:54 AM).
⊗Slenderman⊗
[Left PC]
Community Supporter

Working on the first drawing of my Fakemon's new design. It looks somewhat like a rabbit of some sort and has jackrabbit-like legs. I'm thinking I might be able to make it into a Fire-type, but I don't know about its evolution. I'll edit this and include the art later.
Old May 25th, 2013 (12:36 PM). Edited May 25th, 2013 by Fairy.
Fairy

Yo!

I made our first sprite! n_n;

• Name : Entomeon (Een-tom-eon)
  • Type : Bug
  • Ability : Swarm
  • Classification : The Swift Insect Pokemon
  • Gender Ratio : 50% 50%
  • Flavor Text : Entomeon evolves from Eevee through use of a Sun Stone. Entomeon uses the stinger at the end of its tail to stun and damage its prey.
  • Base Stats
    • HP : 110
    • Attack : 95
    • Defense : 70
    • Special Attack : 50
    • Special Defense : 50
    • Speed : 100
    • TOTAL : 475

What do ya'll think?

@ Slender : Just be careful with your design cause one of our starters is a Fire type rabbit-esque creature. Definitely don't stop with what you're doing cause I want to see it, but just make sure you reference our starter so they're not too similar.

@ BeefTaco : Thanks! Them surely you'll like the sprite I hope! :3

Gonna update the first post today with your assignments, so be on the look out! Also gonna take the time to make it look super cool. This project is awesome, and it deserves to be introduced in an awesome way. n_n;
Old May 25th, 2013 (12:43 PM).
Jetstream9777

That looks Amazing maybe we should do all the eevee
Old May 25th, 2013 (12:47 PM).
⊗Slenderman⊗
[Left PC]
Community Supporter

I like it! Only possible suggestion would be perhaps slightly darker eyes? (:

asdfghjkl I had forgotten about that. I've been playing around with its design for months now. Maybe I'll just post an unfinished sketch to get suggestions, because I just can't seem to make anything of it.

Anyway. Here's a Grass/Flying that I came up with a a while ago.
The roots are its "foot". The wing will be green, to make it look similar to a leaf.
Spoiler:

I'll draw it digitally later. I miiiight be able to make it into a sprite, but it probably won't look very good haha.
Please keep in mind that the above is poorer quality than my finished art. That's just to give you guys an idea on the design.
Old May 25th, 2013 (12:55 PM).
Fairy

AWW It's like a cross between Bellsprout and Rufflet! <3

Anyway, yeah I'll test out some darker shades in the eyes. :) In fact, I'm going to go ahead and try out some completely different color pallets to run past you guys. The one I posted is literally my first crack at it, so I expect some changes down the road.

Also, if you're having trouble with your fakemon Slender, definitely post it and see if another artist is willing to redline it for you. I'm sure a collaborative effort will produce an excellent Fakemon. :]

@ Jet : Thanks! I'm actually pretty proud of it. I definitely didn't expect to start spriting so early, but idk it turned out pretty well so I went with it! n_n; So, are you going to be working on a dragon type? I remember you said something about that maybe?
Old May 25th, 2013 (01:13 PM).
BeefTaco

Alexial woah! that sprite amazing Im really liking the colors, you got real talent man. Anyway im done with the Legendary Bird, I looked at the picture from the Roc and took reference from it to design the head of the bird. The theme I used for this Pokemon is based on the three Legendary Birds Articuno, Moltres and Zapdos. A long time ago this pokemon was also one of the Legendary Birds but it perished, now its spirit roams the night skies both in the real world and the spirit world.

Spoiler:

Name: Ceros
Type: Flying/Ghost
Classification: Spirit Bird Pokemon
Gender Ratio: Genderless
Special Abilities:

Pressure:When this Pokémon is hit by a move, the opponent’s PP lowers by 2 rather than 1.
Cursed Body: If it is attacked, it will occasionally cause the attacking move to be Disabled.

Man I gotta start resizing my pictures, they are coming out too big.
Old May 25th, 2013 (01:39 PM).
⊗Slenderman⊗
[Left PC]
Community Supporter

That's pretty cool, BeefTaco. {:

Here's a WIP of the digital drawing of that fakemon. I actually had to make that shade of green out of a neon color that I black airbrushed over. My art program is acting up and I have very limited colors to work with.

Edit:
Holy arceus. What was up with that huge block of text where the picture should've been? x:
Let's try again...
Spoiler:

Old May 25th, 2013 (01:52 PM).
BeefTaco

I like it the leaf beak its pretty creative, one suggestion have you tried making its roots look more like wet feet.
Old May 25th, 2013 (02:08 PM).
Fairy

Great job guys! :]

I love that legendary bird, BeefTaco. It's monochromatic color scheme really makes it stand out from our other designs.

Also, Slender, do you have a name for your little guy? Cause it reminds me of these things :

Spoiler:

So maybe Wiloette or something like that would be a cute name? :3

ALSO I GOT CARRIED AWAY HALP

• Name : Antaeon
  • Type : Ground
  • Ability : Sand Veil
  • Classification : The Mud Armor Pokemon
  • Gender Ratio : 50% 50%
  • Flavor Text : Antaeon can pass through solid rock surfaces and disappear without a trace. The orange collar around its neck is used as an antenna to pick up vibration waves while in the ground.
  • Base Stats
    • HP : 90
    • Attack : 60
    • Defense : 110
    • Special Attack : 40
    • Special Defense : 110
    • Speed : 55
    • TOTAL : 465
Haha, no but really, are we all cool with sticking with this design? I changed it up a bunch but I think I preserved the spirit of the evolution. Golurk, your input would be helpful! :D
Old May 25th, 2013 (02:22 PM).
BeefTaco

Looks great in my opinion, it's eyes remind me of Egyptian Pharoes hehe.
Old May 25th, 2013 (02:35 PM).
Fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeefTaco View Post
Looks great in my opinion, it's eyes remind me of Egyptian Pharoes hehe.
Yeah! I was totally getting the same exact vibe while I was working on it. It's quite a departure from "Greek mythology", but its name is rooted in that so I guess it's going to be a merge of the two. ;x

Although, I feel like if it were colored purple, it could easily be Ghost type or something. It's got this zombie feel to it now that I look at it again. :o
Old May 25th, 2013 (02:55 PM).
BeefTaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexial357 View Post
Yeah! I was totally getting the same exact vibe while I was working on it. It's quite a departure from "Greek mythology", but its name is rooted in that so I guess it's going to be a merge of the two. ;x

Although, I feel like if it were colored purple, it could easily be Ghost type or something. It's got this zombie feel to it now that I look at it again. :o
Yeah I could see it being a Ghost type or a Poison type, but thats a common thing to happen since in Pokemon colors are usually indicative of type. I see you guys are doing pokemon based on greek mythology, thats interesting Ill come up with something too.
Old May 25th, 2013 (04:00 PM).
⊗Slenderman⊗
[Left PC]
Community Supporter

Someone offline just seen the drawing and mistook the wing as the beak. I should specify that the green thing is the Fakemon's wing. It's facing to the (viewer's) left.

I'll draw a head-on version after I finish the one posted previously, which will make more sense.
Old May 25th, 2013 (04:50 PM).
Sunfished
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Nature: Lax
You guys just keep coming up with great designs!

Hey BeefTaco, mind you share how you colored and shaded that wonderful bird? The simplicity of it is just really great, and the way its posture is shows how "majestic" it is :D

You too, Slenderman! Love what you did with a grass/flying! A dandelion puff is a really creative base for such a type!

Also, I like the Eevee Alexial. The redesign of the Ground Eevee was really needed, and the sprite work is really superb!
Old May 25th, 2013 (06:07 PM).
⊗Slenderman⊗
[Left PC]
Community Supporter

Aww, thank you haha. I've added a beak since posting that drawing, to avoid more confusion involving the wing.

I also recently realized that none of these have shiny versions. Would you guys be cool with me trying my hand at recoloring some finished sprites to make them shiny? I have a decent amount of practice, but I can post an example. I of course am not trying to claim right to recolor them all / design all of the shinies! I just thought it would be a fun way to contribute. [:
Old May 25th, 2013 (08:19 PM).
Nakuzami
The Savior
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Ah! So much!

Well, I'll start off by saying welcome to BeefTaco, and that your designs are quite interesting. :3

Secondly, those sprites are pretty darned good, Alexial. d;

Thirdly, I'll post some more pictures tomorrow. I did end up drawing that Steel Eeveelution I mentioned. I notice that JetStream posted one as well, added to the one we already had. Well, hey, we'll just have to put 'em in an arena and have them fight to the death. Or vote, but that sounds less amusing.
I suppose I'll post my early sketch of the Magpie, and I'll see if I can work on the scans of Cirreon and Maltone that I have.
Also, did I mention I was considering making Colchakon and Kridera a legendary duo? I think I did. I'll sketch them again or something before then, especially Colchakon, lol. I also wanted to give Kridera wings. Lastly, with Kridera, if the "Fairy" type in X/Y is confirmed, I might consider changing his type to Grass/Fairy/whatever. Just a heads up, lol. d:
Old May 25th, 2013 (08:42 PM).
Fairy

@Slender : oh heck yeah. Go for it! Shiny variants are always welcome! Start theorizing some good male/female variations as well, while you're at it. :p

@Nakuzami : thanks! :3 Seems a steel type Eevee is pretty popular, eh? Well listen, as long as there aren't going to be any hurt feelings, I'm going to take one of the designs (that I consider the best), put it on the main post, and let that be that. It's always worthwhile to show us your designs, but if someone's up against someone else on the "same fakemon" it'll just have to come down to the community and, ultimately me, to choose the best one. Naturally, this decision would come with no hard feelings.

And actually, you bring up an interesting point. The unconfirmed "fairy" type.

So question! I would like input from everyone. :)

Do you guys want to start designing for this "Fairy" new type? If so, are there any other types you want to add to our pokedex?

Or, do you want to keep it safe and traditional?

Sky's the limit here people, so don't hold back~
Old May 26th, 2013 (02:47 AM). Edited May 26th, 2013 by BeefTaco.
BeefTaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfished View Post
You guys just keep coming up with great designs!

Hey BeefTaco, mind you share how you colored and shaded that wonderful bird? The simplicity of it is just really great, and the way its posture is shows how "majestic" it is :D

You too, Slenderman! Love what you did with a grass/flying! A dandelion puff is a really creative base for such a type!

Also, I like the Eevee Alexial. The redesign of the Ground Eevee was really needed, and the sprite work is really superb!
Sure thing, I'll wait till my brother gets out of the computer to give you some tips in detail. Also Im working on my Greek based pokemon, it's a rock type Centaur.

EDIT: Here are some tips

The first thing I do before making anything is drawing a rough sketch of what I want to draw, doesnt matter if it looks bad because its just a sketch to give you an idea of the form of the pokemon.

After that I begin to draw the pokemon on paper, I have really unsteady hands so I have to sketch multiple lines this makes my drawings often come out blurry.

Spoiler:

After you scan it to your computer or take a picture of it, you got to your Drawing Program(I use GIMP) and use the path tool to trace all the lines on the drawing, if the first time you trace it theres a lot of uneven or bumpy line trace it again and make sure the lines are clean. It should look something like this:

Note: Trace the drawing on a different layer and if you have to trace it again trace it on another layers as well.

The thickness of the lines depends on the size of the pokemon, usually the larger the pokemon the finer the line is.

Spoiler:

Now for the coloring. The best thing to do for coloring is to use a lot of different layers for the different color patterns, trust me layers make everything easier. The tool I use for coloring is the free select tool, just trace it along the lines of the part of the drawing you want to color and close it.

Now for the actual colors. Theres a lot of things I would have to explain about colors so the best advice I can give you is to look at actual pokemon colors and try to see what colors they use in relation to the theme that is being portrayed.

Note: NEVER use solid black in the drawings unless is small details, pixels are okay.

Now with shading is really simple, if its shaped shadow just trace the same shape next to the actual part of the body which is casting the shade and paint it a little darker than the original color. For full body shading you have to use your imagination a little, imagine where the light source is coming from and guess what part of the body would not be lighted, those parts you trace just like normal colorings and subtlety paint it a little darker. At the border of the shading gently mix the color of the shade and the normal color to create an effect of transition from light to dark. Hope
Old May 26th, 2013 (06:06 AM).
Nakuzami
The Savior
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
@Alexial - If the Fairy type is confirmed, I would have no arguments with making some pokemon of that type. I did already say I would, after all, lol. But, if no new type is confirmed, then . . . might as well keep it in the realm of official-ness, huh? Granted, we aren't official or anything. xD

Here's a scanned, outlined and resized picture of Cirreon:
Spoiler:

And one of Maltone, although not really outlined well:
Spoiler:

Here's a low quality picture of my Steel-type Eeveelution. I'm not sure what to name him. Neon, perhaps? xD
Spoiler:

All those weird lines on him are meant to glow. Neon. Which is why naming him Neon would make sense, fit the "eon" thing, but still sound odd. xD The lines all sit on mechanical parts of his body. A little bit of a cyborg, I guess.

Aaaaaaand that Magpie pokemon I was talking about:
Spoiler:
Old May 26th, 2013 (09:15 AM).
⊗Slenderman⊗
[Left PC]
Community Supporter

I recolored the Ground-type Eeveelution (sorry, I haven't memorized the names of the Fakemon). I kept the collar orange partially because of the Pokedex entry referring to it as orange, and partially because I didn't know what color to make it. x;

Any suggestions?
I did it in a Torchic style (reversing the colors, like Torchic's shiny version), but the silver is darker (more like gray than silver, I guess).
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links