The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Advance Generation

Notices

Advance Generation The hallmark of sprite-based Pokémon gaming, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald set you off on an adventure in the watery Hoenn region with tons of diverse Pokémon to discover. Fans of Kanto can reexplore their favorite region in FireRed and LeafGreen. Here you'll find other fans who enjoy talking about the Pokémon, strategy, and techniques to master this generation.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 26th, 2013, 01:08 AM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7

Advertise here
Although moves could be relearnt via Pokémon Stadium 2 in the 2nd generation, generation III was the first to have an in-game move relearner. The move relearner allowed a Pokémon to relearn a move that it had already forgotten, or would have already learnt at its current level. In Pokémon Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald, the move relearner was found in Fallarbor Town and required a Heart Scale. In Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen, the move relearner was located on Two Island and required either 2 Tinymushrooms or 1 Big Mushroom in exchange. How much did you like the move relearner? What did you think of the item you had to exchange? What would have been better to exchange? Did you rather exchanging mushrooms or Heart Scales? Any other thoughts about the move relearner?

Discuss!

So romantic~
Old May 26th, 2013, 03:12 AM
Limerent
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
It was a bit monotonous to catch a pokemon for the sole purpose of the object it was holding. Nevertheless, it was simple, and the move relearner was an addition I greatly enjoyed, you could be a lot more flexible when deciding to explore options for your team. My primary use for it was to switch between contest and battle moves. Wouldn't it be nice to take someone you really liked for a spot of fishing in EverGrande City? Romantic indeed <3

Remind me of how you get Mushrooms though? I can only remember finding them in Petalburg woods or on Shroomishm
Old May 26th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Amore
Now stand up and begin
Community Supporter

I used to be really disappointed in both move relearners - I only knew the locations of 2 heart scale in Emerald and had never encountered a wild Luvdisc (Still haven't, actually). But on my current playthrough by using the itemfinder a bit more I've ended up with 10+, which is plenty so maybe I was just ignorant. It's definitely more useful in Emerald than in LeafGreen - as 007_eleven said, you can alter your moveset for contests or battles (to a point, you can't relearn tms).
In Kanto I still have trouble finding the mushrooms. The first time I came across the move tutor I'd already sold all my mushrooms, which was disappointing. Although (to me, at least) it seems harder to find the items, there's arguably less need for them in FrLg than in RSE.
My only main complaint is that if, say you evolve your Mudkip at lv. 17 for whatever reason, you can't then relearn Mud Shot as it never actually learned it, even though your Marshtomp will be well above the required level.
Old May 26th, 2013, 04:31 PM
giradialkia
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to giradialkia
I like the mechanic of move-relearners. It's obviously a huge convenience to know that it's not the end of the world if you delete a move for another, only to realise later on that you want the original move again.

In RSE I didn't mind the necessity for Heart Scales too much. All in all I didn't need to relearn many moves, and I could always just fish for a Luvdisc/release it if I was ABSOLUTELY STUCK for one.
For FRLG though, I wasn't crazy about the mushrooms. It was cool that they changed the necessary item (and the change was necessary, itself)- it was also cool that you could use various quantities depending on the item. But to my recollection, I never found all that many mushrooms, big or small, so that was a little irksome.

All in all though, I like the move relearners, and I like that Heart Scales have become the norm for the use of the service.

This one's called 'Red', and it's actually kinda Pokémon themed, so have a listen! Check out the links below for more stuff, if you like this!

This is the Doctor
This is my Soundcloud
This is my bandcamp

My Pokémon Y character is the same as my username. If you see me as a Passerby let me know! I tend to get a lot of Passerby requests and I often wonder if it's people from this site.
Old May 26th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Jak
i'll let you have it

Nature: Timid
That used to make me think...who in the Hoenn is faking Heart Scales?

Anyway! I love the move tutor in RSE. :) Heart Scales weren't really need as much as they are nowadays, so there was a good abundance of them I think. I can think of three right off the bat, without counting wild Luvdisc. I didn't like the method in FRLG too much, as I found it more confusing, and I don't recall many Pokemon having moves you'd want to go relearn. I'm glad they kept the RSE method since then though. Just one of the many great things we gained from gen III, and from RSE specifically! <3

Into the room, I know you want it
Bang bang, all over you, I'll let you have it
Wait a minute, let me take you there
Old May 26th, 2013, 04:58 PM
lmcde22

i loved him. it was good to teach a move that was only necessary for one gym then just re-learn the old move later when you don't need the new one anymore. Stops you from training a whole new pokemon with a type advantage
Old May 27th, 2013, 12:15 AM
Brendino
Hold your breath. Make a wish. Count to three.

Nature: Quiet
The move relearner was one of the good ideas that was implemented starting in Ruby/Sapphire, even if I rarely used it. If was convenient though if you had, say, a Water-type Pokemon that you taught a bunch of HMs to so you could progress through the story, and once you didn't need them any more, you could just go to the move deleter then the relearner.

As for which I preferred trading for the service, it was easily the Heart Scales. Why should I trust a guy that I'm giving random mushrooms to work with my Pokemon.
Old May 27th, 2013, 03:55 AM
Hoenn
➜is not the last B E A C O N

Send a message via Skype™ to Hoenn
Good. Not quite weird, but good. Although I totally despise the way they cheat us into believing us he'll teach our Pokémon "new moves". I was like, wow, I can get my Swampert to finally have Hydro Pump! Turns out he only teaches moves I already had. He should've said that in the start, heck, foil his disguise and name him "Move Relearner".

Other than that I could never understand why he's hellbent on Heart Scales xD
Is it some kind of a custom? IDK xD

I never had use of him cuz my moves were final, tho.

Previously known as Elaitenstile 
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here