The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Battling & Team Building
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Battling & Team Building The forum designed for all of your Pokémon battling needs! Here you can battle, discuss, participate in events, receive help on your team, and much more!

Reply
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #101    
Old May 20th, 2013 (01:44 AM). Edited May 20th, 2013 by Zorua.
Zorua's Avatar
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Gender: Female
Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Aero View Post
Let me preface this post with some thoughts:

1) I did not want to respond.
2) If I don't respond, you guys will think you've won.
3) You guys have won anyway because you're making me do something I don't want to.
First off, why is this about winning or losing? You're looking at this the wrong way. :\ I strongly disagree with you, and that's really just about it. I'm defending my points, and you're defending yours. That's really all there is to it.



Quote:
I don't see how me having one alt is relevant in the slightest. Not to mention you saying I'm complaining just to complain bothers me a whole lot. I do not enjoy playing this game you guys have made of these alts. I feel like every time I come on the server there's someone who I think is a new member, then I notice they're chatting up a storm and I realize "hey, this is somebody's alt." I'm then required to either check the thread (which I will get to later), or ask the person directly. Every day. It's ridiculous.
What game? You say it's a game, but I personally never notice it?? oO;; I don't understand, nor do I see this happening on a daily basis. Maybe I'm just oblivious to it. Who knows.


Quote:
Suggesting team building was just that. A suggestion. You don't have to go build a team if you don't want to. I'm also not directly targeting you. Some users like to pretend they enjoy battling but when put into the situation where they actually have to do something, like battle, they back out but have no problem discussing unintelligible ******** on the server.
This is kind of not really addressing the issue at hand (nor does it have anything to do with it), but I suppose?


Quote:
I said some users agree with me. You not having heard of it must have been a coincidence because not only do I bring it up a lot, but a couple other members have been vocal about it in the chat as well. Not as serious as I have become now. You stating I don't bring it up is also bothersome because I've reached my tipping point and here I am, asking wolf and nica to do something about it. That...that argument from you I just don't get.
Nope. Other mods may have been around, and they might have seen it (and if they have, they're free to tell me about it since I did miss some things here and there on the server despite being around a lot), but I personally have never really seen it. o_O Eh. Could be just me, though.


Quote:
You may believe the only issue with alts is keeping track of who is staff and who isn't. I find it tiresome and repetitive to constantly have to ask people who the hell they are. It's irritating. And you're acting like I'm speaking about staff only. I'm not. I'm talking about everyone. Sure, the limited amount of staff members helps narrow it down on who's who in the staff, but what about regular members? That doesn't help at all.
Read my last point on my last post.

Quote:
That's really the only way I can see it going about happening with staff members. Regular users? Forget it, there's just way too many of them to even think about imposing alternate account limitations.


Quote:
Yes, I want this for my own benefit, but I also want it for a group benefit as well as efficiency and less of a mess. Elf was looking for battles the other day with specific people but didn't know who anyone was for two reasons: 1) He wasn't aware of the alt thread. 2) That person was going by a name even I didn't recognize so I couldn't help him out. If alts weren't so abundant it wouldn't have been an issue. There's nothing wrong with expressing yourself through your name. Absolutely nothing wrong. The thing I can't understand is why we need 10+ alts to express ourselves. Sure, the limit could be 5 for all I care. I just don't want someone changing it on a daily basis, because of what I will get into on the next part.

This thread. This thread is not useful. People will make alts daily and not post them to the thread. Why? Because they don't plan on keeping the alt longer than that single day. There have been multiple occasions weeks ago where I would go to the thread in order to figure out who someone was only to find that alt not there. If the thread's purpose is to help me do just that, figure out who someone is, why is it failing in its purpose? Because of repeated attempts to use that thread and it failing, I stopped bothering.
You bring up a point. Yes, there has been some neglect on user's parts to update the thread, and yes, the thread kind of failed it's purpose. So that's why I proposed what I did in my last post.

Quote:
So you're telling me having to ask someone anytime they make an alt who they are is more efficient than just knowing? I'd like to know your definition of efficient. We can have fun with discussions. Not to mention I've noticed the discussions revolve around very few topics. One of which is alts and colors. This topic shows up multiple times a week and is not in any way "fun" or interesting and doesn't promote actual discussion, because if you watch these topics go down, people ignore each other because they're so focused on obtaining the right name / color. If your argument is that the server is meant to be more social than a battling server (which I agree with completely), I see no socializing happening when this chat erupts.
You seem to be forgetting that a "bad" chat to you is a "good" chat to others. Regardless, that has nothing to do with the issue at hand, and even then, it would be too subjective to do anything about it without one side throwing up fists at the other.


Quote:
Underlying problem stated above. No discussion as a result of the alt / color obsession. You've had no problem identifying who's who. I do. Maybe I'm not as apt at it though. You've gotta account for members like myself who can't just tell who someone is by the way they type. I can only do that with four members because they are extremely distinct:

1) Elf: bean, lol laugh at my own jokes
2) Anti: history rants / basketball
3) Lala: talks like an old man farmer
4) Syndrome: Is always cynical
And that's because you know them on a personal level. With others, it seems to me that you don't know them as much on a deeper level, and because of that, you tend to lose track of who's who. Correct me if I'm wrong though, but that's how I see it. o.o;



Quote:
You you you. You can do that. I cannot. It's not because I don't know you guys. I've talked to Fritz on multiple occasions one on one, especially during my insomnia days a few months back. I know Jake like a brother, so much so we've considered ourselves twins for years and I consider him my best friend that I've ever made on the internet, but if you notice I did not list him in the 4 people I can tell apart by the way they type. Like I said, I must just not be good at thing and you have to account for people like me.
For me, I see it like this:

Jake: uses "c:" fairly frequently. The bluntest mod on the server. Straightforward in his manner of speaking.

And yes, I'm using "me" specifically because I'm speaking for myself. That's really all there is to it. If any other mod wants to bring up points, then they're free to, but I'm only speaking from my perspective about it.


Quote:
You're acting like I'm calling you out specifically. Your entire post was that way and I'm going to address it now. I am not targeting you specifically, Derk. Maybe it's because your alt changes just now threw me over the top, but stop thinking that way. You are not the target of this rule so don't act like it. There are many members who use too many alts to handle. Also i'm not trying to out rule alts and you're acting like I am. I'm saying put a cap on it. It could be 5 for all I care, I just don't want to see people changing their names daily and I can't keep up because they don't post it in the thread or only decide to have it for a day and ditch it.
As I said in my previous post, putting caps wouldn't solve anything. In fact, I think it'd just make it worse in the long run. Just slightly, though.

I know you've stated that you're not going to reply, but honestly, I feel that you could've taken this a lot better than you did. .__. Throwing a fit about it is no way to get things done. That's just me though. In any case, I apologize for the multiple alts becoming so upsetting. It is just very difficult to implement rules on the server without people erupting about it, so that's why I kind of prefer it how it is.
Reply With Quote
  #102    
Old May 20th, 2013 (01:55 AM).
Forever's Avatar
Forever
let it go
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: http://goo.my/server
Age: 22
Gender: Female
I agree with Aero.

99% of the time I don't alt check, simply because 1) I'm lazy, but 2) because it's also so I can relate more to those that are confused and don't know. I find myself constantly asking who everyone is, and for months people like Gerokunz came to the server and I was like "who?" even though they were there everyday but I couldn't tell because they constantly change their names. I don't even know who's a regular at the server anymore, and who isn't. If we did remove name changes, would it really stop anyone from going to the server? PC has removed name changes, and last I checked, nobody has actually left PC over no name changes. I mean, Smogon doesn't allow name changes (...for the most part), and nor does Serebii (iirc?), and people haven't left them over that, either. If we disallowed name changes, where you kept a name for a month, would it make anyone want to quit? If we removed the pretty colours would it make a difference? If everyone was black, like on IRC, would it stop you from coming? (Because on other IRC channels this isn't the case, not specifically PC's channels, but still, the same applies). Yes, you can change names, but does that mean you have to? I know everyone loves name changes, but I think registering a new alt everyday is somewhat crazy. Right now on the server, I have no clue who Ghetsis, 2manyalts, Priyanshu, Rizona and AlTzRcOnFuZiNg are. I only know Derk's alt because he asked me to promote it, and I know Pachy's simply because he appeared as that. I know Hikari's because she likes Oshawott. Everyone else, no clue. I couldn't even tell who Vapor was for a while, and I think something has to be done about this for everyone. When checking again I have no clue who Sage Lute and Da Names is. And that's within two minutes of checking. What's in a name? Do you change your real life name to suit you (no)? When users (and I have complained about this before, so it's not just Aero) legitimately have a problem with this, I think something should actually be done because otherwise people are just confused and when people are threatening to leave because they can't tell who anyone is, I don't think that's really fair.

Therefore, I have a propostion, those in the camp of "don't remove the ability to change alts" - how about you stick to one alt a week (at MINIMUM)? I'm sure Wolf could code it to disallow the usage of changing alts, or we could just namelock anyone, but we don't. We allow you guys to change. You should only use the alt thread once a week or month, really. I don't even know who the auth are most of the time and I'm on auth myself.

So tl;dr my suggestion: One alt a week, you must post in the thread (wolf and I can PM all the server regulars to let them know to post in the thread since I'm 99% sure barely anyone knows of it) when you change, and one post per person. Instead of being in a list format, people just ctrl+f a username, and whoever posted it is the person who owned it. So say, like,

[Avatar] Forever
[Usertitle]

Week 1: skylight / iSkylight
Week 2: Resolute Keldeo
Week 3: NUNicorn Nica
_______________________
[Signature]

^ Like that. Just list your own alts in your post rather than the list format, and it can list when you started using the username (which means you can use any of the previous usernames, but it just lists when you started, to make sure to keep to the "week" format - given the amount of auth, promoting an alt a week for people isn't really that much compared to people randomly asking to do it whenever, and it can allow someone to get to know others better). Once a week name change surely isn't too much to ask given that you haven't changed your PC usernames for four years :/ Nor have many of you changed your real life names more than once in your life. Basically the rule would be to change your name you have to edit your post in the thread otherwise you'd get asked to change your name back to one of the older ones as to not confuse anyone. It's strict but people change alts like candy, and when it becomes confusing to users and deters them, something should really occur.
__________________
I'm paired with and in love with Frizy ♥
Reply With Quote
  #103    
Old May 20th, 2013 (02:04 AM).
Ace.'s Avatar
Ace.
Let Go and Just Be Free
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Ok I was gonna reply to this earlier but seeing you probably won't look here anymore or reply @Aero I thought nevermind. But as long as you read i'm fine with it. I don't completely disagree with you since alts can be quite confusing especially with the users that change too much. But if you stay on the server more than you'll know how are those people that change alts a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Aero View Post
Yes, I want this for my own benefit, but I also want it for a group benefit as well as efficiency and less of a mess. Elf was looking for battles the other day with specific people but didn't know who anyone was for two reasons: 1) He wasn't aware of the alt thread. 2) That person was going by a name even I didn't recognize so I couldn't help him out.
You can just ask. ASK. There really is nothing wrong with asking who "user" is or you can just ask any of the mods to help or alt check. There really is nothing wrong with asking mods. We're not here to just mod. We're here to help in other ways as well and that's what I hate. You guys think we're just here for modding and watching out for the chat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachy View Post
I strongly recommend that the staff do not consider limiting users alts. While it might seem to improve things for some users; it would ruin the positive experiences that many more users have had thus far. While I myself get confused from time to time about who is who; I believe we can address this problem quickly and efficiently so that all can have an enjoyable experience.
The above statement is true. If you (you = everyone) stay on the server for quite and while and get to know us better you'd know who is who. For example Gero doesn't have perfect grammar; Slate uses quite a lot of dots; I omg quite a lot; etc. It would also be sad to limit alts since whats the point of "change username" if you limit alts. I'm ok with maybe 1 or 2 alts every 2 weeks so you won't get confused and stuff but limiting it completely is a bit too strict.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Aero View Post
Not to mention the complaining about ugly colors. Stop caring. Seriously.
I don't see anything wrong in colors. I mean people have favorite colors and colors they hate so if they want to change a color then why not? Also I think the alt threads isn't really helping since there's a lot of users and it's quite disorganized in a way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
99% of the time I don't alt check, simply because 1) I'm lazy, but 2) because it's also so I can relate more to those that are confused and don't know.
Now Nica who's fault is that? It's not our fault you are lazy. I mean if you weren't lazy you would probably know who we are.

Quote:
Right now on the server, I have no clue who Ghetsis, 2manyalts, Priyanshu, Rizona and AlTzRcOnFuZiNg are.
You can't even see what they post? Ghetsis is obviously Sonic cause he was posting about some sonic music, Rizona is Gero because you can tell by his grammar (not implying anything bad js)

Quote:
So tl;dr my suggestion: One alt a week, you must post in the thread (wolf and I can PM all the server regulars to let them know to post in the thread since I'm 99% sure barely anyone knows of it) when you change, and one post per person. Instead of being in a list format, people just ctrl+f a username, and whoever posted it is the person who owned it. So say, like,

[Avatar] Forever
[Usertitle]

Week 1: skylight / iSkylight
Week 2: Resolute Keldeo
Week 3: NUNicorn Nica
_______________________
[Signature]
Ok now that's better. It'll limit people and I just think this is quite a good solution. Sure some people will have a few negative thoughts on this but if this will help benefit the server, provide less confusion and to stop this silly debate then I agree with this.
__________________
SIMPLE is the new SMART
Reply With Quote
  #104    
Old May 20th, 2013 (02:06 AM).
Zorua's Avatar
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Gender: Female
Nature: Gentle
While that makes sense nica...I feel that you're forgetting some things.

...That list doesn't actually solve anything. Like, for example, someone can switch alts every single week, and people would still get confused on who they are. Unless I'm misunderstanding your post, then feel free to clarify! For me, I feel that it's something that people would find it extremely easy to circumvent, and that you and wolf would basically be powerless to do anything about it because...well, you guys are allowing it once a week, right?

If you really want to do something about it, then just have people keep their alts for a month. That way, everyone would have a reasonable amount of time to know who everyone is. Not once a week, I feel that's just way too quick. But I don't know how the other mods might feel about that.

And you've presented some very clear and thorough examples. But remember, that the difference between the analogy of "you guys changing your names irl" and this situation is that the former is more of a hassle and the latter is as easy as literally a /nick change and /reg. But I digress.
Reply With Quote
  #105    
Old May 20th, 2013 (02:36 AM). Edited May 20th, 2013 by Pokedra.
Pokedra's Avatar
Pokedra
Retired
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Places
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
I think Aero and Forever have a point.

It's not really them being lazy but the annoyance of having to open up the alt thread to check who someone is, I mean I'm not trying to sound stuck in the past but when we used Shoddy and people mainly used their PC usernames, it was not only a.) easier to identify who was who, b.)the fact that everyone knew each other meant it was more of a community. The argument of "you should know who is who" is quite frankly a weak one, it's the internet not irl and people can be mistaken, there are alot of cynical people for example, mistakes can and have been made.

While limiting the amount of alts seems harsh, in retrospect it's not really that bad. Name changes were stopped on PC ages ago iirc and no one is complaining anymore. Just be honest, do you really need 26 accounts of your favorite celebrities/random names?

I think 3 is a fair number, it lets you have a fair selection of names/colours without completely confusing everyone. Although to be fair this has been blown out of proportion.
__________________
Competitive Battle Records
BW2 UU Smogon Leaderboard #1
DPPt OU Smogon Leaderboard #6
Reply With Quote
  #106    
Old May 20th, 2013 (02:51 AM).
Zorua's Avatar
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Gender: Female
Nature: Gentle
Quote:
when we used Shoddy and people mainly used their PC usernames, it was not only a.) easier to identify who was who, b.)the fact that everyone knew each other meant it was more of a community. The argument of "you should know who is who" is quite frankly a weak one, it's the internet not irl and people can be mistaken, there are alot of cynical people for example, mistakes can and have been made.
What you have to realize is that this isn't the old shoddy by any means (no offense!! I couldn't word it any other way), and this is an entirely different community that we have. With that being said, I believe that we have to be very careful about any rules that we implement since people tend to not be very satisfied when anything is really changed, and therefore as a result, things just have to be left the way they are.

Quote:
While limiting the amount of alts seems harsh, in retrospect it's not really that bad. Name changes were stopped on PC ages ago iirc and no one is complaining anymore. Just be honest, do you really need 26 accounts of your favorite celebrities?
I don't see why people are bringing up the name changes argument. I already brought up previously that PC has no limit on alts iirc, so the same should be reflected on the server. If anything, just limit it to once a month and you're good.

Quote:
I think 3 is a fair number, it lets you have a fair selection of names/colours without completely confusing everyone. Although to be fair this has been blown out of proportion.
Our userbase just wont fly with that. Too many regulars, therefore such a restrictive limit just won't do, and I wouldn't want to risk deeply upsetting a lot of our userbase because of it. That's what I think, anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #107    
Old May 20th, 2013 (07:33 AM).
wolf's Avatar
wolf
on a Demoted LoA
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
I only skimmed over this; I don't really feel like reading all of what has been said. First off, appealing should be done privately, but posting here is useful for getting other opinions. However, you don't really seem interested in that, Aero, so I'm not sure why you posted here.

Anyway, I do agree that the alts are getting out of hand, but I'm a bit iffy on enforcing disciplinary action to limit people from making too many alts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
I'm sure Wolf could code it to disallow the usage of changing alts, or we could just namelock anyone, but we don't.
I have no clue how to do the former, and namelock has been removed from the default server scripts. To prevent people from making too many alts, we would have to keep a database of alts and constantly alt check accounts to see if they made any new alts. It would make the situation more inconvenient for the staff, and just seems like it wouldn't be worth it. However, I do have a solution to this, and that is giving alt check to voiced users. (And it's funny because I asked Steve to implement that before this whole ordeal even started. I'm one step ahead of you guys!) While PS' alt check is a bit unreliable due to it being browser-based, it's better than nothing. Additionally, it would provide an incentive for being voiced.
__________________
pc battle server • skype: awolffromspace • avatar credit
Reply With Quote
  #108    
Old May 20th, 2013 (09:00 AM).
Jake♫'s Avatar
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New York
Gender: Male
Nature: Lax
I guess I'll pipe in since I kind of got name dropped a few times =P

I can see both points of the argument, but honestly I kind of have to agree with Aero. I'm all for people wanting to express themselves, but it's ridiculous that half the time I log on the server (even before I've been less active lately because of work, so let's not bring up that argument please), I don't recognize half the users names. If someone says hi to me, half the time I'm like, "Hi person who knows me but I have no idea who you are!" They point out who they are, and I'm like ohhhh, and then people sometimes respond, "How did you NOT know that?!?" If it's a brand new alt I've never seen and I just log-in, I haven't had time to see how they post, so how in god's name would I know?

Yes, we have alt check, but having to alt check half of the server every time I log in is ridiculous. On Derk's point that people don't like change and it won't sit well...well that kind of sucks. That's honestly a personal problem. The PC name changes are completely relevant here: People liked being able to change names, it stressed the server, so goodbye to that. A large portion of the userbase can't tell who half the people are anymore because names keep changing? Okay, limit alts. A different issue causing a similar result. If people don't like change, well that's kind of too bad in my opinion. Things will change. It's life. You can't always get what you want. People will adjust. If we limited it to 5 alts I don't really see an issue. For all the alts in the alt thread that I've seen with people who have more than 5, I rarely even see them use 5 of the ones they have listed, and they stick to the main ones that they have always used. So, pretty much just having alts that sit there to get used once and never again? I don't really see the point of that.

On the topic of "knowing someone by the way they type", that isn't that easy. It's the internet. No one is always going to be in the same mood and type the same way. Leaving the staff out of this (since there is a limited number of us and it's easier to figure who is who out), there are VERY few people that I'd be able to tell. And it's not because I've known them longer or that I'm not invested in the users we have now, it's just that they are extremely unique. Elf is elf. Anyone could figure him out, let's be honest. If you see something about history or Bosh, you know it's Anti. Those things are easy to pick up on and don't take years of knowing them to realize. Slate I know because he will always add ... to the end of his sentences. Other than that, I honestly couldn't pick someone out of the crowd just by watching them type. Yes, I have alt check. Yes, I use it. Half the time it doesn't show up with anything.

I think disciplinary action is the wrong choice of words for limiting alts. We aren't punishing anyone, it'd be making a change to the server that would make it easier for people to communicate. Honestly, if people were limited to an arbitrary number of 5 alts (because I'm just using that as a basis in my head, it isn't a deep thought-out number or anything), if anything I would find it easier to have a sense of community. You will know who everyone is instead of having to play a guessing game. I mean, in reality, is just asking that big of a deal? Not really, but when people have so many alts that it changes daily it's just getting out of hand.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #109    
Old May 20th, 2013 (09:08 AM).
Dark Azelf's Avatar
Dark Azelf
Dream Evil.
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Aero View Post

1) Elf: bean, lol laugh at my own jokes
Its *beanS, it has an s. -.-
__________________
The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams.
Reply With Quote
  #110    
Old May 20th, 2013 (12:23 PM).
Powalen's Avatar
Powalen
the Dark Sovereign
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: In the sky
Age: 20
Sorry in advance if I don't offer much on this topic, but anyways. Here is how I see it, yes there are a few people who change alts quite frequently, including myself, and sometimes even I feel like it is a bit much and confusing. However eliminating alt changes all together is a bit too much and something that I feel 100% of our staff would be against. Having a new alt every once in a while is fun and a privilege that every user should have. Even if Wolf was able to code in a limit, that would still not be fair for users who want to decide on a permanent name to use, which requires many name changes to achieve a good name.

While personally I think that things are fine as they are, I don't mind at all if there was a limit to alts. Us staff members have a 3 alt limit, however that is just a limit on alts with auth., not a limit on alts we can register. So what I would think a good solution would be is to completely start over the server alt thread, and let all regular members pick 4 or 5 alts to post and they must use those alts, until a specified time limit is up(for this I will just suggest a month or so) and then at the end of the month they may chose to change them if they please.

As for enforcing this rule..well that is the tricky part. As Wolf mentioned /namelock is no longer a working command in the server, so that is not an option. Really all that can be done is have some sort of limit and hope that the users respect it. I don't think there would be an appropriate disciplinary action to take for users that choose not to follow, because muting or banning someone for changing their name is WAY too harsh and that is something that I would never want to do to someone.

* also the server has updated and now voiced users have alt check!
__________________


"By force of will!"
Reply With Quote
  #111    
Old May 20th, 2013 (11:21 PM).
Aslan's Avatar
Aslan
the pretender
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sydney
Gender: Female
I guess while this is still going on, I'll throw my opinion in. It's kind of sad that we have to argue over something so simple like alts. Honestly in general, I find it ridiculous when people go up into an uproar just because of one tiny rule change. I'm not going to point the finger at anybody but frankly, it's just irritating sometimes. Then again not everyone will be happy with the changes, but all the complaining at times does get annoying. Just my opinion. If you actually wanted my opinion on this whole alts thing however...

I agree with Aero. and a few of the others honestly. At first I thought this idea was ridiculous and that we should leave it the way it is, but having skimmed through all the arguments, honestly I can understand what people are fed up about. People say that even if you don't have altcheck, you can just ask somebody on who they are. But what happens if you have to ask that same person, several times a day? In the end, it just gets frustrating and rather confusing.

I can understand that people want to express themselves, their emotions and anything else, but changing names five thousand times a day just gets out of hand. I say we limit alts a bit- such as two alts a day? I don't know something like that- but honestly I want to see some sort of limit on alts.

Those who break the limit? Enforcing disciplinary action on them is just cruel- for such a simple thing like that. So I'm still trying to figure that out, but like what Jelli said I just hope users can accept the limit and follow the guidelines.

In general, I support most of the arguments here- you can't automatically know who someone is by the way they type. Yes there are a few obvious hints such as the emoticons they use and maybe their grammar/punctuation but other than that people can't always be in the same mood and they might change their style. So yeah that recognising people by the way they type thing isn't that true. Although I can see what you're getting at!

In general my opinion on this is enforce some sort of limit on alts but also not get too strict/harsh in the process if that makes sense. Anyway that's just my opinion- but I could probably be convinced that this whole limiting alts thing is a bad idea, if someone provided good reasons with evidence to back it up.
__________________
stand up and walk.
[ currently in europe : 11/12 - 3/1/15 ]
Reply With Quote
  #112    
Old May 21st, 2013 (10:24 AM). Edited May 21st, 2013 by Zorua.
Zorua's Avatar
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Gender: Female
Nature: Gentle
Quote:
In general my opinion on this is enforce some sort of limit on alts but also not get too strict/harsh in the process if that makes sense. Anyway that's just my opinion- but I could probably be convinced that this whole limiting alts thing is a bad idea, if someone provided good reasons with evidence to back it up.
Here's what I can gather from looking at this thread so far:

It is possible that, perhaps, some might find recognizing who people are via alts. I'll give you that much: sometimes it is. Sometimes it can be difficult to recognize who a user is unless they specifically tell you. I echo a lot of the users in this thread who say that yeah, you can usually tell who people are by how they type, but not always. But here's why doing anything about it would be bad:

We, as staff of the server, are put in a difficult position when it comes to enforcing new rules. Generally, we don't, and a discussion has never really come up (aside from one, but that's a different discussion altogether) about any kind of rule changing whatsoever, and when it's done, we know for a fact that people are going to feel uncomfortable with whatever rule changes. That's pretty much a given, seeing as how it's pretty much happened before.

Now, we do have an option. We can tell people to just deal with it, but that wouldn't really be a professional way to go about with things, wouldn't it? It would also make us look..."bad", in a sense. Inconsiderate to others emotions about the issue, things of that nature. Therefore, whenever something does get implemented, we do get criticized for it, and end up having to bend over for the userbase.

Now, what does this have to do with alts? Let me explain.

Alts are something that's pretty much invaluable (from my observations, I can be wrong) at our server. From the top of my head, a good 2/3rds of the server uses them (arguably 3/4s, but leaving it at a reasonable number). The problem being that when your dedicated server regulars complain about a rule they're not happy with, especially something that they take seriously like alternate accounts, we're in a hard position to decide on "which side to take", in other words, or what decision to make. No one is going to be entirely pleased with the outcome because alts will always exist, they will always be made, and people are going to be confused regardless.

...Let me reiterate that: Again, they're always going to be made. Limits or not. Even my "one alt a month" plan. For those of you who are a bit lost on that, let me explain.

My proposal is that...say, with the alts I just created (Dragonite/Waterfalls), I would have to keep those for at least a month before changing them again. Though to be truthful, It's very possible that I can still confuse people by changing to another alt each and every month. It's just something that happens. Even though it's a worst case scenario (and something that I try to avoid doing, being honest here), a lot of our userbase take alts seriously to the point where this is possible, although chances of this happening are rather slim seeing as that they try not to be too terrible with them. In fact, when new alts are made, I notice people tend to stick with them as their mains for quite a bit, so maybe this could work, who knows?

The point being: When people change to a new name, it's natural reaction to be confused at first. /alts and /whois doesn't exactly explain everything all the time, and that's the sad fact about it. Unless you directly ask who they are, you're going to have to either figure it out yourself or from another person. Asking is a hassle, yes, but then again, the majority of going through life is a hassle, so I think asking a question is very minor consequence in comparison.

Also, I do agree that this is arguing over quite a minor issue. u__u;;;
Reply With Quote
  #113    
Old May 21st, 2013 (11:51 AM).
Nathan's Avatar
Nathan
prince
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Earth
Age: 17
Gender: Male
Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Nathan
I'm not gonna argue or anything but wouldn't asking what the Showdown regulars think of it work better?If you guys already did it, I'm outta here
__________________
goodbye o/
Reply With Quote
  #114    
Old May 21st, 2013 (11:53 AM).
Zorua's Avatar
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Gender: Female
Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNathan View Post
I'm not gonna argue or anything but wouldn't asking what the Showdown regulars think of it work better?If you guys already did it, I'm outta here
This thread was made for that purpose, actually! For Showdown regulars as well as staff members alike to comment. n_n;
Reply With Quote
  #115    
Old May 21st, 2013 (12:03 PM).
Squirrel's Avatar
Squirrel
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: England
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Quirky
I hate alts, it's really awkward coming on and not being able to recognise people and they're just somewhat annoying trying to remember, but equally I don't think they'll ever be removed. You can't ban someone from the server just because they're using too many alts and you can't stop them from making new alts - sure you can take away access ranks but who really cares about that? I think as long as people make an effort to include their new alts in the thread for alts, it'll be fine and there's no problem :p
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #116    
Old May 21st, 2013 (03:58 PM).
Anti's Avatar
Anti
I forgive you, Chris Bosh.
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ohio
Age: 15
Gender: Male
Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Post
Also, I do agree that this is arguing over quite a minor issue. u__u;;;
Just going to let the irony/complete lack of self-awareness sink in here.

I agree anyway though. I can't think of a dumber thing to argue about. I actually can't. Someone help me. Aero brought up a minor issue, Wolf can deal with it as he sees fit, and...oh wait, that's it. That's how it should always be.
__________________
Gone with the wind. (But still hanging around because why not?)

~wolf: defeated every lead except elf :>
d_a-bread house: what about metagross
~wolf: ok that too
Reply With Quote
  #117    
Old May 21st, 2013 (07:05 PM). Edited May 23rd, 2013 by wolf.
wolf's Avatar
wolf
on a Demoted LoA
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
(This post is unrelated to the current discussion.) We have now implemented an important and inevitable rule.

Quote:
— Do not post inappropriate content.
Do not link to pornography, hentai, or any other sexually explicit content. Do not directly refer to sexual activity. Do not make gory, vulgar, or distasteful comments. Do not make comments in excessive detail over indirect references to sexual activity or any body part that could be deemed sexual. The same topics must be kept at a minimum, and may never be the main subject of discussion. Do not use usernames that directly reference the aforementioned details.
The previous rule was ineffective because people who disliked sex talk would never contact anyone on the server staff. They would either tell the higher staff or leave the server until the topic is no longer related to sex jokes. More importantly, no extension of PC should allow content like that in the first place. The old rule was more or less a method of trying to see if we could allow it for the sake of our community without causing any significant issues. However, with all that's happened, it simply wasn't working. Instead, we decided to adopt rules that are similar to PC's. Regardless of whether you like it or not, this change was mostly inevitable. We can't allow content that's not allowed on PC. Simple as that.
__________________
pc battle server • skype: awolffromspace • avatar credit
Reply With Quote
  #118    
Old May 26th, 2013 (03:32 AM). Edited May 26th, 2013 by Dark Azelf.
Dark Azelf's Avatar
Dark Azelf
Dream Evil.
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Nature: Impish
K just posting this on behalf of most of the server, to say that this PG 13 rules is absolutely stupid. We cant even crack a joke without being warned. Most of us are above 13 anyway so its redundant, really.

Not only does it limit what we can talk about but it limits the essence of the BC and the server. The people who are trying to impose this upon us dont even come to the server and wolf even said that the server isnt even affiliated with PC officially anymore, its a separate entity entirely. Honestly, Syn, Nica, Aurora, Sanguine and p much every "regular" thinks this also. If its because of the PC name can we just remove that.

The history of the server has always been laid back, away from the main forum where users can relax. We dont want it to become the new IRC or w/e people are trying to make it, its not fun.

Luke never minded, so why the hell do other people mind now ?

But yes dont just take my word for it, ask people on the server. We hate it and want it gone. Now.


[12:40] %Aurora: pg-13 is dumb

[12:42] Sanguine: I'd have preferred for us to discuss it with the smods instead of them making the rule and expecting us to follow it



[12:41] @ForeverDash: just wondering do you agree with the PG 13 RULES? y/n
[12:41] ♥Colοurs♥~: we're just ants in a wasp nest
[12:41] ♥Colοurs♥~: n
[12:41] ♥Colοurs♥~: wait
[12:41] Sanguine: n
[12:41] srinator: n
[12:41] @glitchguy: n
[12:41] %Aurora: n
[12:41] Zeffy: n obv
[12:41] ♥Colοurs♥~: Not sure rn
[12:41] Sanguine: LOL
[12:41] Drunk Mienshao: N
[12:41] ♥Colοurs♥~: I pick N
[12:41] Syndrome: N

N from me too.

[12:52] @ForeverDash: js but the only people I see who has a problem with dirty chat is hstaff who barely comes here smh
__________________
The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams.
Reply With Quote
  #119    
Old May 26th, 2013 (03:41 AM). Edited May 26th, 2013 by Forever.
Forever's Avatar
Forever
let it go
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: http://goo.my/server
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Azelf View Post
K just posting this on behalf of most of the server, to say that this PG 13 rules is absolutely stupid. We cant even crack a joke without being warned. Most of us are above 13 anyway so its redundant, really.

Not only does it limit what we can talk about but it limits the essence of the BC and the server. The people who are trying to impose this upon us dont even come to the server and wolf even said that the server isnt even affiliated with PC officially anymore, its a separate entity entirely. Honestly, Syn, Nica, Sanguine and p much every "regular" thinks this also. If its because of the PC name can we just remove that.

The history of the server has always been laid back, away from the main forum where users can relax. We dont want it to become the new IRC or w/e people are trying to make it, its not fun.

Luke never minded, so why the hell do other people mind now ?
from the server staff chat, but;

[7:33:49 PM] forever skylight: okay im officially going to propose this
[7:33:51 PM] forever skylight: hm okay
[7:34:09 PM] forever skylight: what if we disassociated with pc?
[7:34:15 PM] Aurora: why
[7:34:18 PM] Dash: lol
[7:34:19 PM] Dash: what
[7:34:19 PM] forever skylight: im only suggesting this due to huge member backlash but
[7:34:22 PM] Dash: omg we can use
[7:34:25 PM] Dash: the invsion forum
[7:34:26 PM] forever skylight: technically
[7:34:27 PM] forever skylight: we could
[7:34:28 PM] Dash: for our own
[7:34:28 PM] forever skylight: yeah
[7:34:31 PM] forever skylight: that would be the one
[7:34:34 PM] forever skylight: for all ps issues
[7:34:37 PM] Aurora: invision is ****
[7:34:42 PM] forever skylight: nobody actually
[7:34:42 PM] Aurora: use mybb
[7:34:44 PM] Dash: lolol
[7:34:45 PM] forever skylight: uses the server for battling
[7:34:57 PM] forever skylight: and wolf could do the same threads there on the forum
[7:34:58 PM] Dash: lol
[7:35:07 PM] forever skylight: it would also allow us to have independance
[7:35:11 PM] forever skylight: without mass backlash
[7:35:20 PM] forever skylight: because right now people are being heavily moderated for no reason
[7:35:24 PM] forever skylight: and we could lose a lot of userbase
[7:35:50 PM] Aurora: does hstaff have anything to do with this
[7:35:53 PM] Aurora: or is it just us
[7:36:00 PM] forever skylight: hstaff

it's just a suggestion that possibly could help given that if a lot of our active userbase do leave over the heavy moderating then we're back to square one, and i personally would hate to see all the activity going to waste, since the server is primarily the community, rather than the battling.

to solve this, audy could also code the on-site battling server like he intended to, while the battling server disassociates from pc and turns into a off-site chat, while the battling server is renamed to disassociate from pc, so pc keeps its good name. i'm not sure how much the userbase would be affected, but the same thing happened for PC's Pokemon Clubs, Trading Chat, etc, and when they weren't linked on the forums they were disassociated from PC and therefore there was less heavy moderating. i mean nothing at all against pc, but i just think from all the complaints, this could possibly be considered as a way to help fix everything, while on the server everyone had their freedom to say what they want (even if it's inappropriate), as they have done for 7 or 8 years on PO, net battle, shoddy, and PS for almost a year.
__________________
I'm paired with and in love with Frizy ♥
Reply With Quote
  #120    
Old May 26th, 2013 (03:49 AM). Edited May 26th, 2013 by Dark Pit.
Dark Pit
Where's your goddess now?
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia
Age: 16
Gender: Female
Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Dark Pit
While I do somewhat agree to this rule, I also disagree with it.

I understand that during my time on the battle server, it has gotten quite inappropriate, but it's happened..surprisingly rarely. I'm sure that most of our regular members are quite used to what happens on this server, and won't really find offence to the stuff that happens there (even some young users join in) , but we also have young/new users who aren't used to the server would just get lost in the sea of inappropro. Personally, I'm neutral to this rule, but the only fact I dislike about it is that nobody's discussed it until it was implemented last minute. It's as if it just..appeared out of nowhere, and we didn't really get warning.

Almost everyone's against it, as Forever just posted, so I'm not so sure if it should be used at all...but, not up to me.
Reply With Quote
  #121    
Old May 26th, 2013 (03:53 AM).
Zeffy's Avatar
Zeffy
merry freaking Christmas!
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: the bedroom
Gender:
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeffy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Sonic View Post
happens on this server, and won't really find offence to the stuff that happens there, but we also have rather young users who may be disgusted.
There's plenty of young users participating in such discussions js
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #122    
Old May 26th, 2013 (03:54 AM).
Fire Flyy's Avatar
Fire Flyy
metaphysical poet
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: below the heavens
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Nature: Sassy
los cubanos hemos esperando por un tiempo mas largo, ahora, ahora es la momenta para la revolucion!!!!!!

also why are you guys seceding on the forum where THE MODS CAN SEE YOU lol
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #123    
Old May 26th, 2013 (03:58 AM).
Zeffy's Avatar
Zeffy
merry freaking Christmas!
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: the bedroom
Gender:
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeffy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Flyy View Post
los cubanos hemos esperando por un tiempo mas largo, ahora, ahora es la momenta para la revolucion!!!!!!

also why are you guys seceding on the forum where THE MODS CAN SEE YOU lol
because we're trying to file a complaint to them?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #124    
Old May 26th, 2013 (03:58 AM).
Dark Azelf's Avatar
Dark Azelf
Dream Evil.
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Flyy View Post
los cubanos hemos esperando por un tiempo mas largo, ahora, ahora es la momenta para la revolucion!!!!!!

also why are you guys seceding on the forum where THE MODS CAN SEE YOU lol
Long hair dont care.

Its an issue that needs to be sorted mang.
__________________
The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams.
Reply With Quote
  #125    
Old May 26th, 2013 (03:59 AM).
Fire Flyy's Avatar
Fire Flyy
metaphysical poet
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: below the heavens
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeffy View Post
because we're trying to file a complaint to them?
the south did the same thing preceding the civil war, that went pretty badly for them, basically 5-0d by the North with no hax lol gg no re
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 07:39 AM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.