Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y
Reload this Page New Pokemon and Type Combinations Speculation

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in one of the newer installments of the core Pokémon series.

Old May 24th, 2013 (12:53 PM).
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Silver Tier

Nature: Careful
Quote originally posted by Kurapika:
Drowzee/Hypno should be Dark/Psychic! :D
Yes, yes, please a Poison/Dragon.
A Hypno evolution maybe?
Yeah a Poison/Dragon would look awesome, maybe it could be our Arbok/Serviper of this generation
Old May 24th, 2013 (01:03 PM).
► My Happy Little Pill 
Platinum Tier

Nature: Lax
Quote originally posted by Magmaruby and Aquasapphire:
A Hypno evolution maybe?
Yeah a Poison/Dragon would look awesome, maybe it could be our Arbok/Serviper of this generation
I could see Hypno becoming Psychic/Dark with an evolution. It'd definitely be a cool new dual-type, plus it makes sense with all the dreams and nightmares it can effect akin to Darkrai. It could definitely have its stats boosted without being overpowered at all either, so I'd actually love to see this!
Old May 24th, 2013 (01:09 PM).
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Silver Tier

Nature: Careful
Yeah, it's something I've been hoping for awhile now. However imagine how creepy it's design may look 0_o.
Old May 24th, 2013 (01:20 PM).
masquerade
Platinum Tier

Nature: Relaxed
Ooh, as creepy as Drowzee and Hypno may be I would like to see a return from those two! They're a good Psychic pair.

Old May 24th, 2013 (01:24 PM).
myDreamWorld
Platinum Tier

Nature: Quiet
I wouldn't mind a Hypno evolution at all, really~! Haha one thing that does worry me is it being too bulky, but I guess that isn't that much of an issue to worry about, I suppose? Then again, it's not overly so, since it's 85/70/115, so I guess a slight improvement in those areas couldn't hurt. xD;

» my dreamiverse
Old May 25th, 2013 (04:14 PM).
Que sera sera~

Nature: Naive
Quote originally posted by Twilight Sky:
Those designs look quite odd, but at the same time, fairly interesting! I'm not so sure if I'm a huge fan of Zangoose being on four legs really, but I suppose that's just me. xD; It just seems like, aesthetically, it would use it's fighting moves better while being bipedal. I do like Seviper's design though, it seems more threatening. o:
Mmm. They really caught my eye, above most of the other designs on that website (although the Xatu evolution... I cannot begin to describe how much I love it. In fact...).

Nahualatu
Spoiler:

I would fully support this creature being added to the game. It is a psychic/dragon type, losing its ability to fly but gaining far greater powers through its dragon typing. If you look closely, you can tell the dragon head is actually a mask, and you can see its closed eyes within the mouth.

Also, the Ho-oh similarities are intentional.

I had imagined that the Zangoose evolution being able to alternate between bipedal and quadrupedal locomotion. Four legs allow for greater movement speed, and then it can rear up onto two legs and lash out with its long claws. The Seviper evolution is definitely my favourite of the two, but they're both good, especially since the usual fan evolutions for these two are 'bigger snake' and 'bigger mongoose'. They are unique, and yet very appropriate.
Old May 25th, 2013 (06:22 PM).
► My Happy Little Pill 
Platinum Tier

I feel like that Xatu evolution is just...strange. It doesn't even look like a bird anymore, it looks more like a griffin or something. Kind of a strange change to go from a bird to a animal based on a lion that can fly. I guess it's possible (plus the design is actually really cool and I like it a lot =P), but I don't know =x
Old May 25th, 2013 (11:03 PM). Edited May 26th, 2013 by flight.
myDreamWorld
Platinum Tier

That's actually pretty badass for a Xatu evo, imo. :x Though I'm with Jake, it does seem a pretty odd choice of evolution for it to go into, but regardless!

....This is actually making me want a Xatu evo now. It would at least give it some much needed bulk.

In any case, though...I feel that the Snover family is the only family of Grass/Ice Pokemon. So why not make a few more, except perhaps better?

» my dreamiverse
Old May 25th, 2013 (11:50 PM).
Metallurgy Master (Excadrill)

Nature: Naughty
I feel that the Snorunt family is the only family of Grass/Ice Pokemon. So why not make a few more, except perhaps better?
sky, its snover, not snorunt. :-P
Old May 26th, 2013 (02:53 AM).
masquerade
Platinum Tier

I agree. I like the Grass/Ice combination and with only one of those out there, it would be nice to see a couple more. I think Snover & Abomnasnow are great Pokemon but it's good to have variety.
Old May 26th, 2013 (03:01 AM).
The Imminent Victor

A Christmas Tree pokemon would make a great Ice/Grass type! Hahaha!
Old May 26th, 2013 (03:31 AM).
I am legend

Send a message via Skype™ to Elaitenstile
Definitely vouching for a Poison/Dragon Legendary, based off a Basilisk.
Old May 26th, 2013 (07:02 AM).
myDreamWorld
Platinum Tier

A Poison/Dragon is definitely needed, but the type itself does seem a bit iffy. At least it would give Poison types some major oomph, and it would help if this particular Pokemon was a psuedo-legend of some sort. At least that would make some leaps and bounds for the Poison-type. As far as competitive capabilities are concerned, that still leaves a lot to be questions since adding Poison to Dragon doesn't seem to do anything to Dragon but add more weaknesses. >.>

» my dreamiverse
Old May 26th, 2013 (07:58 AM).
Metallurgy Master (Excadrill)

Nature: Naughty
A Poison/Dragon is definitely needed, but the type itself does seem a bit iffy. At least it would give Poison types some major oomph, and it would help if this particular Pokemon was a psuedo-legend of some sort. At least that would make some leaps and bounds for the Poison-type. As far as competitive capabilities are concerned, that still leaves a lot to be questions since adding Poison to Dragon doesn't seem to do anything to Dragon but add more weaknesses. >.>
competitiely, it gets fight resistance which is very common in the current metagame.
Old May 26th, 2013 (08:06 AM).

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Skype™ to Xander Olivieri
You can't really say it improves a Poison type. If a Poison/Dragon came to existance and it was fairly decent then its because of the individual Pokemon, not so much its type. If you had to go the how its good because of type route then its only good because its a Dragon Type. If anything people would say it could have been better if it weren't Poison type.

The Type doesn't make the Pokemon. The Pokemon makes the type.

I mean look at Altaria. She's a pretty bad example of a Dragon Type Pokemon. Almost to the point that some people forget she's a Dragon Type. Just because she's a Dragon Type doesn't mean she's some godly figure.

You have Pokemon like Venasaur and Tentacruel. Two Poison Types that are used fairly often now. This is because of the Pokemon not because of their types. If you had to go type you'd say its because of their other types (Grass and Water). Still that's not entirely correct. Their stats and abilities are more looked at and then type match up for balance. Those at the top are just extremely powerful Pokemon.

I don't believe we need to do anything to types for the sake of powering them up as they were never designed to be something like that. Each type has what its supposed to to. They have their functions and don't need anything more than that.

I think a Poison/Dragon would be amazing because it could be the weakest thing imaginable or strong enough to be a Pseudo Legendary Pokemon. That would influence the Pokemon more than its type. We can use type for defense vs another but as its been put against my dislike for X4 Damage on types, that can be overcame with proper strategy and superior stats.

We really don't need types with better stats or remixed type chart. We just need Pokemon with good stats to have those types. Watch we could get some regular Ice types or something like an Ice/Electric type with better stats than any Ice or Electric in the past. We could get a Steel type with poor defense and Special Defense, which is what Steel types are known for their great defense and Sp. Defense. We could get another Altaria with bare bone bad stats. The average stat isn't something that's official. Its a statistic that changes every generation found by fans.
Old May 26th, 2013 (08:58 AM). Edited May 26th, 2013 by ricki13th.

I would love if Game Freak would change the Pokemon typing to look like this...

# Type Weakness

1 Normal - Fighting, Dark, Ghost
2 Grass - Bug, Poison, Flying, Fire
3 Water - Electric, Grass, Ice
4 Fire - Rock, Ground, Water
5 Rock - Water, Grass, Fighting
6 Ground - Water, Grass, Ice, Flying
7 Bug - Fire, Flying, Rock, Poison
8 Flying - Electric, Rock, Ice
9 Electric - Ground, Rock, Ice
10 Poison - Ground, Rock, Ice, Steel
11 Fighting - Flying, Psychic, Poison, Fairy
12 Psychic - Ghost, Bug, Dark
13 Steel - Fighting, Ground, Fire, Psychic
14 Ghost - Dark, Electric, Bug
15 Dark - Fighting, Bug, Fairy
16 Ice - Fighting, Rock, Fire
17 Dragon - Electric, Ice, Rock, Fairy
18 Fairy - Poison, Steel, Rock

Inkay: Steel/Poison - Ground 4x, Ice, Steel Helioptile: Electric/Normal - Fighting, Ground, Ice, Dark, Rock
Pangoro: Fighting/Dark - Fairy 4x, Flying, Poison Fletching: Flying/Normal - Rock, Electric, Ghost, Ice, Dark

Maximum number of weakness for a pure pokemon is 3 and for Dual types its 5

Nintendo 3DS FC: 3454-0515-5583
Old May 26th, 2013 (10:40 AM).

I want a Dragon/Ice type. A huge dragon with ice and awesome prevolutions would be sick!
Old May 26th, 2013 (10:41 AM).
WUB WUB
Gold Tier

Send a message via Skype™ to Zorogami
^ I really dont think the type chart is going to get a major workover.
If they include a new type, then they might change some stuff around to keep it balanced, but nothing more really.

Quote originally posted by XanderO:

I mean look at Altaria. She's a pretty bad example of a Dragon Type Pokemon. Almost to the point that some people forget she's a Dragon Type. Just because she's a Dragon Type doesn't mean she's some godly figure.
I definitely agree with XanderO here. It's not always the typing that makes a Pokemon, but his moveset and general stats.

~ Anything for my Nakama ~
Old May 26th, 2013 (04:25 PM).
► My Happy Little Pill 
Platinum Tier

Quote originally posted by Jaxman:
I want a Dragon/Ice type. A huge dragon with ice and awesome prevolutions would be sick!
Kyurem says hi =P Another one that wasn't a legendary with some different evolutions would be cool I guess. Maybe having it be completey crystalline likes it's literally made of ice, just in the shape/form of a dragon would be cool.

As for another type combination I'd like to see, I feel like an Electric/Fire would be cool. It could see some Pokémon like some sort of glass cannon with these types, spamming Fire Blasts and Thunderbolt like it was its job =P
Old May 26th, 2013 (04:52 PM).
myDreamWorld
Platinum Tier

You can't really say it improves a Poison type. If a Poison/Dragon came to existance and it was fairly decent then its because of the individual Pokemon, not so much its type. If you had to go the how its good because of type route then its only good because its a Dragon Type. If anything people would say it could have been better if it weren't Poison type.

[...]
You're about half-right on that. There are still Pokemon out there that have absolutely amazing potential but their type just about hinders them from really doing much (to name, pretty much almost every Ice type, save Mamoswine and MAYBE Jynx). When concerning a type like Poison/Dragon, it's important to note that yes, the stats do more or less make the Pokemon, which in turn, the Pokemon itself would make the type note-worthy (or not, there are many factors that can go into this really). What concerns me about his type is mainly just the weaknesses of the type, and that's really just about it. However, yes, I know, there's going to be Pokemon like Celebi that are going to be brought up in this argument, that probably have more weaknesses than any other Pokemon in the game, and it still manages to do fairly well on it's own. It also depends on it's ability, and whether or not the ability itself makes the Pokemon stand out enough to use. Pokemon with absolutely useless abilities (I can be wrong on this, but this is typically the case) don't typically do well, and have to rely on it's typing STAB in order to be reliable in any way as a backup.

However, I do acknowledge that anything can happen, and as such, my views are still objective towards this. It's an awkward type combination to have in my opinion, but hey, I'll roll with it if it means a strong Pokemon might come out of it. It'll be a huge plus for the Poison-type after all if it does occur.

» my dreamiverse
Old May 28th, 2013 (02:19 PM).

Nature: Brave
I want a Poison/Steel type (think syringes) and a Grass/Ghost type.

And I want a PROPER Meerkat Pokémon! Watchog is pathetic!

I'd love a Pokémon based off of the Beast of Dartmoor. If you don't know what that is, it's basically a mythical Black Lion.

Old May 28th, 2013 (02:37 PM).
Que sera sera~

Quote originally posted by HereComesHeracross:
Grass/Ghost type.
I know that in many cultures there are forest spirits which are closely associated with the moon and the night. I'm sure they would be a good starting point for a ghost/grass type Pokémon.
Old May 31st, 2013 (02:24 PM).
myDreamWorld
Platinum Tier

Quote originally posted by Grif of Hearts:
I know that in many cultures there are forest spirits which are closely associated with the moon and the night. I'm sure they would be a good starting point for a ghost/grass type Pokémon.
Even though the guardian of the forest in my mind is Celebi, I wouldn't mind if there were more "sub-guardians", so to speak, that Celebi also watches over, I suppose. There could always be more than one forest deity after all, so I'd be all for this. :3

» my dreamiverse
Old June 3rd, 2013 (04:22 AM).
let it rain
Crystal Tier

Nature: Quirky

You have Pokemon like Venasaur and Tentacruel. Two Poison Types that are used fairly often now. This is because of the Pokemon not because of their types. If you had to go type you'd say its because of their other types (Grass and Water). Still that's not entirely correct. Their stats and abilities are more looked at and then type match up for balance. Those at the top are just extremely powerful Pokemon.

I don't believe we need to do anything to types for the sake of powering them up as they were never designed to be something like that. Each type has what its supposed to to. They have their functions and don't need anything more than that.

I think a Poison/Dragon would be amazing because it could be the weakest thing imaginable or strong enough to be a Pseudo Legendary Pokemon. That would influence the Pokemon more than its type. We can use type for defense vs another but as its been put against my dislike for X4 Damage on types, that can be overcame with proper strategy and superior stats.

We really don't need types with better stats or remixed type chart. We just need Pokemon with good stats to have those types. Watch we could get some regular Ice types or something like an Ice/Electric type with better stats than any Ice or Electric in the past. We could get a Steel type with poor defense and Special Defense, which is what Steel types are known for their great defense and Sp. Defense. We could get another Altaria with bare bone bad stats. The average stat isn't something that's official. Its a statistic that changes every generation found by fans.
See guys, listen to Xander. He knows everything

Basically what he said there is that it's not the type that makes the Pokemon, it's the Pokemon that makes the type. In competitive play, Pokemon are sorted into tiers based on their usefulness in the standard metagame, and not just type matchups are taken into account, but also its overall stats, abilities and movepool usefulness that is taken into account. Any serious competitive player would know this.

If we did get a new type like what the rumors say, the type chart may be changed a bit but not changed too much so it can still be balanced enough, especially since the type chart we're familiar with now has existed since Generation 2. And that was only because Dark and Steel Pokemon were introduced to help counter Psychic better, back in Generation 1 the Psychic-type was an absolute nuke, there was not much that could easily counter it. Bug-types, its only weakness back then wasn't as strong as it is now, and stronger Bug-type attacks and Pokemon started appearing in later generations.

And then again, Altaria is not the usual offensive kind compared to what most Dragon-types are. In fact, it's one of the few defensive-oriented Dragons out there. It also doesn't help that it isn't even draconic in appearance. Like what Xander said, each type has its uses in battle. And then again there are some Pokemon who have stat distributions that are very different to what is the average for their type, such as a Steel-type with lower defenses or a slower Electric-type.

Like what he mentioned above, I think Poison/Dragon would be a pretty interesting mix of type, I'd wonder what designs Game Freak might make out of that. I also mentioned over in the Pokemon Clubs section that I'd like to see an Electric/Dark-type sometime, or maybe even Bug/Psychic. Rock/Ice would look cool too but imagine those 4x Steel and Fighting weaknesses.
Old June 3rd, 2013 (05:03 AM).
Que sera sera~

Even though the guardian of the forest in my mind is Celebi, I wouldn't mind if there were more "sub-guardians", so to speak, that Celebi also watches over, I suppose. There could always be more than one forest deity after all, so I'd be all for this. :3
I'm imagining a grass/ghost type wouldn't be so much a guardian as it would be an evil trickster, leading travellers astray and trying to get them lost amongst the trees.

Sponsored Links