The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Art & Design

Notices

Art & Design For digital, traditional, design, photography and mixed media art, Pokémon-related or not. Showcase or discuss anything related to the visual arts here.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 26th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Jetstream9777

Sorry was away foe the weekend. Love all the ideas. I think the rock eevee should be called Oreon
Old May 26th, 2013, 10:49 AM
BeefTaco

Nature: Relaxed
Thats one scary pokemon slenderman hehe. Anyway heres my Rock-type Centaur Pokemon, hope you guys like it

Spoiler:

Name: Centroc
Type: Rock
Classification: Centaur Pokemon
Gender Ratio: 80% male 20% female

Special Abilities-

Sturdy: The Pokémon is protected against 1-hit KO attacks.

Solid Rock: Powers down super-effective moves.
Old May 26th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Fairy

AHHHH OKAY OMG

lol sorry, I just finished finally updating the first post with your individual assignments.

Slender, you're officially hired. <3 Love that shiny variant. Any sprites I produce from here on out, I want you to handle them as you see fit. This goes for any other artist who plans on spriting.

BeefTaco, you have the most concise and fully thought out designs. I love the Centaur so much omg.

Nakuzami!!!! I was totally going to ask you do update your fakemons and you already did it! <3 Awesome. I love them too.
fairy clubac:nl clubpokemon fae

Old May 26th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Jetstream9777

We are making tremendous pace maybe we should consider extending the amount of fakemon we can create
Old May 26th, 2013, 12:44 PM
Fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetstream9777 View Post
We are making tremendous pace maybe we should consider extending the amount of fakemon we can create :)
You know, I had the same thought.

This thread moves so fast and there's been quite the influx in participation, I considered turning this into a "PC Fakemon Dump". But, that doesn't really give us any kind of objective or goal.. For right now, we stick to a good'ol 150 Pokedex. Let's get that done first.. then we can consider making something even bigger. But there's no reason to not expand beyond 150 after we've hit that. Until then though, let's do this one step at a time. :)

Besides, I want to look for a way to get other sections involved in this project too. :) And having something bigger than just a nice, clean "fakedex" would be a bit intimidating and a little hard to swallow; although I don't doubt my artists can handle it. ;)

Old May 26th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Nakuzami
That Person's Name Is . . .
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
We could always start on a second region's fakedex after we complete this one?
Perhaps we should make a region to go with it later.
PERHAPS WE SHOULD BLACKMAIL THE PEOPLE IN THE GAME DEVELOPMENT CORNER AND HAVE THEM MAKE THESE FAKEMON INTO A GAME.

I'm coloring Cirreon right now.
I'm really bad at it. :x I mean, I can color things that are clean and have already been fixed up great, but I'm not very good at the clean up myself, which makes the coloring more difficult. xD

And now we have the three steel eeveelutions. Battle to the death time?
Old May 26th, 2013, 01:03 PM
Sunfished
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Nature: Lax
Thanks for that info BeefTaco!
I've always been doing everything like you have up to the linepart, maybe I just needed a better explanation for the shading! :D

And I noticed in the op that it said this was the first Community Project "in a while".
Can anyone elaborate on this? Was there already an attempt made by PC before?

AND BATTLE TO THE DEATH WE SHALL! >:D
maybe a poll should be set up then?
I'm planning to revise my version anyway, because I really want to try out BeefTaco's artstyle out! @w@
Old May 26th, 2013, 01:29 PM
BeefTaco

I really appreciate your compliments guys, it really cheers up my day hehe. Ive only be here for a little while but you guys already make one feel like part of the group. Also no prob Sunfished, im here to help.
Old May 26th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Nakuzami
Community Supporter

I doubt it, but I could try to color over my eeveelution on GIMP with that photo I took. Granted, I can hardly color in Cirreon, and that was a clean scan. . . . Lol
STEEL TYPE EEVEELUTIONS, DON YOUR BATTLE ARMOR AND PREPARE TO MEET YOUR FATES!

@BeefTaco - Pfft, I was only here a few days before you. I just decided to act like I'd been here the entire time. xD

Perhaps I should work on my digital art skills? I'm not really very good at that, unless you count recoloring sprites . . . lol.
Old May 26th, 2013, 01:54 PM
BeefTaco

Ive found that the best way to get better as an artist overall is not just drawing but also looking at other people's art and see what it is that they do to make it look good. I remember the first time I started using GIMP a few years back, I had such a hard time edititing but in time I learned about layers, shading, coloring, etc. its just about practice and observation.
Old May 26th, 2013, 02:10 PM
Jetstream9777

I am gonna upload the dragon eevee tomorrow. I got a long term solution to the problem Alexial. It's not a personal gain of mine but if you want to we can make a hack that is not secluded but open to the community. That is of course if the artists wanna do it of course
Old May 26th, 2013, 03:16 PM
Fairy

@Nakuzami : And I'm all for a second fakedex! And a third and a fourth at that. n_n; Pretty much whatever you guys want to do. You guys are the heart and soul of this project, after all! But, we should get through this fakedex first, before we start talking about another one. ;)

Also, take your time with the Eevee. There's no rush and no pressure on coloring. And don't be afraid to ask your fellow artists for help! This project is designed to make the best fakemon possible and play to your strengths as artists. You do what your comfortable with and we'll be happy with the result, I can guarantee it.

@ Sunny : Ah! Why yes, A&D has had Pokedex projects in the past! :) This is a big community after all, and I'm part of a looong line of moderators who launched similar projects. That being said, this is the first Pokedex project that's gained any momentum in a very, very long time (I don't have specific dates, but I'm willing to look it up if your curious). But, in my humble opinion, this is the best Pokedex yet. ;D

@ BeefTaco : That's because you are part of the team, silly! :p And I definitely agree with your sentiments. Art is not just about your own skills, but the skills of who you admire as well.

Ya'll want some mortal combat over the Steel Eevee? GO FOR IT! Nah, I'll make a post later with all of the options so everyone can see them side by side, and we'll make a decision then. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetstream9777 View Post
I am gonna upload the dragon eevee tomorrow. I got a long term solution to the problem Alexial. It's not a personal gain of mine but if you want to we can make a hack that is not secluded but open to the community. That is of course if the artists wanna do it of course
Come on now. I told you before, if you want to work on your game, please talk about it and assemble a team outside of this thread and A&D, okay? If you'd like to talk about this further, please PM me. :) Can't wait to see your Dragon Eevee though!

Old May 26th, 2013, 03:31 PM
Nakuzami
Community Supporter

So, Cirreon colored looks something like this:
Spoiler:

I couldn't keep it with a transparent background, because it was a quick upload and Photobucket refused to keep the transparent-ness once I resized it. But, this is the basic color scheme of Cirreon . . . I guess. I failed to make it very, um . . . impressive, but it's alright. d:

I'm attempting to draw something completely digital, but it's coming out awkward. At first I was going to take some sort of undead-horse approach, which actually sounds cool and I might still do it, but I erased that and tried to make a Pokemon based off of an Orthrus, which is a two-headed dog with a serpentine tail. . . . Although I just realized that I forgot the second head. ._.; Good thing it's not even far enough along to be called a sketch yet! ^-^;

@Alexial - Yes, one at a time! I'm sure we can complete this thing in no time at all. ;3
If anyone wants to help with Cirreon's coloring or give her a more dynamic pose (or any of my pokemon, really), go for it. d:
Old May 26th, 2013, 03:36 PM
BeefTaco

So I thought of some designs ideas based on Greek mythology that anyone can pick and draw if they want. Ok here is my first one, its a pair so be ready draw two pokemon

The Fox and the Hound

This two designs are based on the two mythological animals the Teumessian fox and the Laelaps. These creatures are based on the paradox of the dog(Laelaps) who always caught its prey and the fox(Teumessian fox) who could never be caught. I combined this with a Moon and Sun theme, everyday the Sun looks for the Moon but the Moon always hides and when the Sun sets is when the Moon appears.

The design of the dog would be based on a Golden Retriever but with bright white fur, this is a pokemon so some aspects should be exaggerated maybe make the fur longer than usual but make sure the dog still looks like a Golden Retriever. The fox would look like a normal fox but a slightly sleeker look and black fur, also it must have some type of ghostly detail. The dog would be Normal-type and the fox Ghost-type, two type that cant clash just like the paradox.

Note* Whoever picks up this design can change things as they like this is just my view on how it should look.
Old May 26th, 2013, 03:53 PM
Nakuzami
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeefTaco View Post
So I thought of some designs ideas based on Greek mythology that anyone can pick and draw if they want. Ok here is my first one, its a pair so be ready draw two pokemon

The Fox and the Hound

This two designs are based on the two mythological animals the Teumessian fox and the Laelaps. These creatures are based on the paradox of the dog(Laelaps) who always caught its prey and the fox(Teumessian fox) who could never be caught. I combined this with a Moon and Sun theme, everyday the Sun looks for the Moon but the Moon always hides and when the Sun sets is when the Moon appears.

The design of the dog would be based on a Golden Retriever but with bright white fur, this is a pokemon so some aspects should be exaggerated maybe make the fur longer than usual but make sure the dog still looks like a Golden Retriever. The fox would look like a normal fox but a slightly sleeker look and black fur, also it must have some type of ghostly detail. The dog would be Normal-type and the fox Ghost-type, two type that cant clash just like the paradox.

Note* Whoever picks up this design can change things as they like this is just my view on how it should look.
._.;
Time to open my sketchbook. xD
I actually thought of trying to draw those two before, but not in such a way. Your outline gives me a few ideas . . . hmm. I'll have to try it out.

EDIT: Oh, but this doesn't mean that nobody else should try the designs. ._.; Go right ahead, lol.
Old May 26th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Fairy

Nakuzami, mind if I try spriting your Cirreon? It's simplistic, colorful, and interesting. I have a feeling you will be very surprised if I take a shot at it ....That came out wrong. I'm not praising my own artistic abilities, of course. What I mean is, you'll be surprised when you see it in as a sprite, which is completely different than a full piece. .__.;

And don't fret. n_n; There's plenty of ideas to go around ~

Old May 26th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Nakuzami
Community Supporter

Of course you can! I was actually hoping you would. ^-^;
Now, to stop watching Glee and to actually pay attention to my sketchbook. . . .
Old May 26th, 2013, 04:26 PM
BeefTaco

I'm glad you picked up the design Nakuzami and don't worry I have a few more design ideas to post tommorow.
Old May 26th, 2013, 04:56 PM
GolurkIsDaBomb
Strawberry Sunrise, no ice.

Nature: Lonely
I've been away for a few days, so I'll start contributing soon. One thing I noticed are the awesome sprites Alexial's been making! However, I just want to point out that if these are supposed to be like ingame sprites, they're wayyy too big! Ingame DS sprites fit within a 96 x 96 pixel square:

See how Flareon fits inside the square with lots of room to go, and the ground eevee fills up most of the space while the bug eevee goes over a little? Much too big! But if this is just sprite artwork then it's fine, just thought I'd point this out!
Old May 26th, 2013, 05:00 PM
Fairy

Yeah no it's totally supposed to just be sprite artwork. These are not intended to be "legit" in any way, shape, or form. But thank you, for being so observant nonetheless, Golurk. :)

edit : unless of course you guys want to do in-game accurate sprites? :o In which case we will need to outsource to PA because I am in no way a spriter. I just do this for fun with no real emphasis on diligence or correctness.

Old May 26th, 2013, 05:05 PM
Nakuzami
Community Supporter

If we did want to make something involving legit-seeming sprites, it wouldn't be difficult to just cut their sizes in half. They'd still look alright whilst maintaining the proper size.

So, I'm drawing this Teumessian Fox . . . it's fun, lol.

EDIT: Here's the first sketch of Teurrorox.
Spoiler:

Last edited by Nakuzami; May 26th, 2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old May 26th, 2013, 06:18 PM
Fairy

Heeeyyy Nakuzami. n_n;

What do you think of this pixel art of your Cirreon?

I took some small, creative liberties like removing the fluff around the paws. It just seemed too busy, what with the main fluff's location. I also added a second layer to the wings, and lightened Cirreon up a touch. Now it's like a super light periwinkle. I still want to honor the original design though, so I hope I didn't change it too much. ;o; Feel free to make any changes / suggestions / comments you deem fit. :)

Also, I really like the fox a lot. It looks so pretty and feminine without crossing the line into Vulpix or Fennekin. I'll happily draw the dog counterpart when I have the time. :)

Old May 26th, 2013, 06:19 PM
⊗Slenderman⊗
[Left PC]
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I have the palette for the bug-type eeveelution ready, but my vision isn't the best and I've been having a very hard time telling the colors apart. I'll attempt to finish it by tonight, but my eyes are about burned out from staring at the screen haha. I'll wear my glasses when I start up again, to (hopefully) make it easier.

I'm thinking slightly-darker-than icy blue for the eyes, somewhat dark purple for the main body, lavender wings, and the spots/antennae/etc. will be dark blue-green. Does that seem like it would look good?
(Copy/paste the above into your browser)
Old May 26th, 2013, 06:34 PM
Nakuzami
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexial357 View Post
Heeeyyy Nakuzami. n_n;

What do you think of this pixel art of your Cirreon?

I took some small, creative liberties like removing the fluff around the paws. It just seemed too busy, what with the main fluff's location. I also added a second layer to the wings, and lightened Cirreon up a touch. Now it's like a super light periwinkle. I still want to honor the original design though, so I hope I didn't change it too much. ;o; Feel free to make any changes / suggestions / comments you deem fit. :)

Also, I really like the fox a lot. It looks so pretty and feminine without crossing the line into Vulpix or Fennekin. I'll happily draw the dog counterpart when I have the time. :)
I quite like it. :3 The color is nice—closer to what I had intended than what I colored it—and it's fine that the tufts around the legs are gone. That could be something addressed in the flavor text—much like Vaporeon turning into water, perhaps Cirreon could become as ethereal as a cloud?
The only thing I would like to see is the wings to be a bit whiter. I don't know, for some reason I feel that they should be. I'm not sure what that reason is, though. .-.

And thanks for the compliment on Teurrorox. ^-^; Your sprites really are great, by the way. d:
Old May 26th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Fairy

Thank you so much! I'm very new into the world of spriting, so comments like that mean the world to me.

I'll go ahead and make the feathers (not necessarily the entire wing -- and what I mean by that is the joint to where it connects to the back) that light grey and post it so you can determine the best route from there. :)

And that's funny, cause I had the same thought for Antaeon. Where it can phase between the ground and whatnot (see the flavor text). But hey, that concept makes even more sense with a Flying type, so I'd definitely go with that. Besides, I initially changed Antaeon's category to "The Mud Armor" pokemon while I had that idea in mind, where Golurk originally had it listed as (correct me if I'm wrong) The "Ground Healing" Pokemon, which I like a lot better anyway.

tl;dr I like the idea of Cirreon being able to phase into a mist / cloud and it should use that instead of Antaeon.

Now! Time for a big important message from the host!

Spoiler:
------------------------------------------

Addressing all artists and contributors of the Pokecommunity Pokedex Project,

Everyone here has put forth such outstanding work in the past few weeks. You've all gone above and beyond to make this project something special. Your enthusiasm for this is palpable and contagious, and the effort everyone has put forth in this thread has touched me as not only a moderator of A&D, but an artist as well. I'm so proud of you guys and you deserve to know it. I wish I could do more for everyone to show how much I, A&D, and PC as a whole appreciates your efforts; but until then I hope little messages of appreciation will suffice.

That is all.

------------------------------------------

Just thought you guys deserved a little notice of encouragement. Hope ya'll don't mind if I do this every now and again!

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links