The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fourth Generation

Notices

Fourth Generation Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum kicked off the fourth generation of Pokémon. Two years later, fans of the Johto region were treated to a remastered adventure in HeartGold & SoulSilver. Discuss the games, explore the features, share your experiences, and help other players out!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 17th, 2013, 03:58 AM
Hikamaru
it's too cold for you here
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Since I'm not much of a competitive player, I don't really care about EV training but like AzaleaLightning said, people can basically beat the game without EV training a single Pokemon.

Paired with AWsquared, Isaac and Starry Windy
Battle Server | Tumblr | TWL | Profile | Supporter

Old May 17th, 2013, 12:15 PM
kingfor6
Pkmn Trainer SS Goku

Nature: Careful
I agree with EV training for battle frontier purposes. Should help a lot.
Old May 17th, 2013, 07:10 PM
Aslan
the pretender

Nature: Relaxed
Honestly you don't need to EV train all of your Pokemon to beat the game. All you really need in my opinion is strategy, the ability to think and maybe take the time to grind but not EV train. I've never needed to do EV training to complete the game, but competitively EVs can make a huge difference- you'll need them to power up stats and bring out the potential in your Pokemon. In-game wise however, you really have no point using it as you can do perfectly fine with a non-EV trained team. :x

i'd rather be anything but ordinary, please.
Old May 18th, 2013, 09:30 PM
Jak
mother of challenges

Nature: Timid
EV training when you're just playing the game for fun can...possibly take out the fun, especially if you've never done it. Plus, if you're gonna put the effort into EV training, there would be no point in it if you got something with a nature that didn't go with what you'd EV for, and that'd just be more things to worry about.
Old May 21st, 2013, 12:50 AM
ISNorden
Teddiursa

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Yahoo to ISNorden
Finally completed all the side quests I needed to enter Diglett's Cave--or so Ithoughl. My Pokégear radio (with an expansion card) is playing lullabies on the Music Channel, and Snorlav won't budge; could someone please hellp me wake this thing up? Thank you!

" Coming this fall to Jubilife TV: Lost Beyond Space!"
Old May 21st, 2013, 01:00 AM
Champloo
RNG Expert

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Champloo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISNorden View Post
Finally completed all the side quests I needed to enter Diglett's Cave--or so Ithoughl. My Pokégear radio (with an expansion card) is playing lullabies on the Music Channel, and Snorlav won't budge; could someone please hellp me wake this thing up? Thank you!
You have to be sure to play the actual Poke Flute channel which is at the very top of the radio 'scanner' it's not a preset but rather a channel you have to manually find. You'll see it right away. Once that starts playing interact with Snorlax and you should be ready to go

RNG, the skill for the well informed
Old May 21st, 2013, 06:45 AM
ISNorden
Teddiursa

At the risk of sounding clueless, how do I locate stations manually on the Pokégear radio? I've never gotten this far before.

Old May 21st, 2013, 07:07 AM
Jak
mother of challenges

Use your stylus to drag the little dot up to the top of the radio feature. That should take you there.
Old May 21st, 2013, 07:34 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydian View Post
Use your stylus to drag the little dot up to the top of the radio feature. That should take you there.
An easier way to find specific stations is touching the four sound wave icons next to the middle circle:
Spoiler:

You'll have to drag the little dot all the way up to access the Poké Flute channel, but only if you have the EXPN card.

Old May 22nd, 2013, 06:08 PM
kingfor6
Pkmn Trainer SS Goku

How can you tell when a Pokémon is maxed out on EVs?

I have a Gengar at lv 55 and the last level up I had beaten like 20 tentacool and his special defense only went up 2. about 5 levels ago, I had beaten a bunch of tentacool and tentacruel and his sp. def went up a whopping 9.

How does Pokerus effect EV training? I acquired Pokerus by luck for like the 3rd time.

How much EV training can you do?
Old May 22nd, 2013, 06:21 PM
Dangelitus

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfor6 View Post
How can you tell when a Pokémon is maxed out on EVs?

I have a Gengar at lv 55 and the last level up I had beaten like 20 tentacool and his special defense only went up 2. about 5 levels ago, I had beaten a bunch of tentacool and tentacruel and his sp. def went up a whopping 9.

How does Pokerus effect EV training? I acquired Pokerus by luck for like the 3rd time.

How much EV training can you do?
Pokerus gives you double of EV training. If you fight with some poke that give you 3 EV and your pokemon have pokerus, then you adquired 6 EV.

And the max EV training you can do its 510 overall, and by stat just 255.

Every 4 points of EV become in 1 point for the corresponding stat, except HP (But in that stat i don't know of it works)

The ideal thing is, if you want to max EV in one stat give 252 (when they divided into 4 will give you 63 points).

Once you reach 255 ev in one stat, that one doesn't increase more, and when you reach 510 EV, then you can't obtain more.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 06:29 PM
⊗Slenderman⊗
[Left PC]
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
You can find out if you've maxed out the Pokemon by whether or not you can be given the Effort Ribbon. (Obtain it in a home in Blackthorn on HG/SS, or the seal shop in Sunyshore on D/P/Pt.)

If I remember correctly, Pokerus doubles your yield when EV training.

Each stat may not exceed 255 EVs, and no more than a total of 510 EVs.

Edit: Ninja'd. I'm leaving this here, though. If I understand the question correctly, knowing the max amount of EVs still won't help with their Gengar, unless they know exactly how many (and what) Pokemon they battled. (:
(Copy/paste the above into your browser)
Old May 23rd, 2013, 09:18 AM
kingfor6
Pkmn Trainer SS Goku

What do you mean it wont help my Gengar?

I don't keep count of how many Pokémon I kill because I do not see why I need to. The main species I have killed were tentacool, tentacruel, and mantine. I have killed probably less than 10 graveler and about 20 flaafy.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 09:21 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfor6 View Post
What do you mean it wont help my Gengar?

I don't keep count of how many Pokémon I kill because I do not see why I need to. The main species I have killed were tentacool, tentacruel, and mantine. I have killed probably less than 10 graveler and about 20 flaafy.
You need to keep count of the Pokémon you KO to keep track of the EVs Gengar gets.

Flaaffy gives 2 Special Attack EVs, Graveler gives you 2 Defense EVs Tentacool gives 1 Special Defense EVs and Tentacruel and Mantine give 2 Special Defense EV each.

Looking at Gengar's stat spread, you're better off with max Special Attack and max Speed.

Old May 26th, 2013, 02:13 PM
OliveCopper
The Zombie Baby Returns!

I caught 2 Sentret, one is a female with a Brave nature and has "Keen Eye" for an ability, and the other is a male with a Naughty nature and has "Run Away" for an ability. I want to evolve one but not the other, which one should I evolve? The male Sentret or the female Sentret?
Old May 26th, 2013, 02:40 PM
Amore
Now stand up and begin
Community Supporter

Its down to the trade-off between nature and ability really. Brave nature lowers speed (Sentret's best attribute), but you have Keen Eye which can be handy, particularly against Falkner. Naughty doesn't affect speed (both natures boost attack) which is good, but Run Away's really not that useful, unless you somehow end up against wild pokémon which are significantly stronger than you.
Keen Eye also decreases the wild encounter rate 50% if it's your lead pokémon, which'll make it harder to train if you lead with it initially, and also harder to hunt for wild pokémon using it. But will help when you're going through somewhere you've already been.

So, basically the female one will be slower but immune to Sand Attack and if leading, less likely to encounter wild pokémon. The male one will be faster, can have its accuracy lowered (although not that many pokémon use that tactic) and can run away from wild encounters, of which there will be more with it.
This is excluding IVs obviously.
Old May 26th, 2013, 07:24 PM
ISNorden
Teddiursa

After defeating Red and completing a few other side quests, I've decided to take on the Bell Tower challenge in SoulSilver. I have already traveled back to Ecruteak with the Rainbow Wing, gotten access to the tower, and climbed past the first two floors. Unfortunately, I have trouble getting to the ladder that leads up from the third floor: could someone else please help? (When I searched for walkthroughs on YouTube, most results were either music remixes or help for Bellsprout Tower; sorting through all those is tedious and frustrating.) If you can locate a guide to the area--in words or pictures--I would appreciate that very much. Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: png bell-tower_3rd-floor.png‎ (18.5 KB, 1 views) (Save to Dropbox)

Old May 26th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Jak
mother of challenges

This video was one of my first results, so...idk what you were typing in, but there ya go. Good luck!
Old May 26th, 2013, 07:35 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
This link should help you out too if you don't want the video, just have to figure it out by looking is all. http://www.psypokes.com/hgss/gamemaps.php?map=belltower

Sheep in the Big City: General Specific
Old May 26th, 2013, 09:04 PM
Hikamaru
it's too cold for you here
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
In my personal opinion, I'd prefer Keen Eye over Run Away as far as abilities go. For in-game play, natures don't mean as much compared to competitive play, so I'm sure you'll be fine no matter which one you decide to use.

However, Furret is not really that great in the long run since it gets outclassed by better Pokemon of its type later in the game. The Attack boost from those two natures you said can help it hit a bit harder so I'm sure you'll be alright regardless of which one you'll use.

Paired with AWsquared, Isaac and Starry Windy
Battle Server | Tumblr | TWL | Profile | Supporter

Old May 26th, 2013, 11:40 PM
curiousnathan
they said we could be anything

I'll move this to the 4th Gen Help Thread, as this is more of a quick question than a proper discussion.

[ Moved ]
Old May 27th, 2013, 10:50 AM
ISNorden
Teddiursa

I finally caught Ho-Oh last night (yay!), and want to get hold of Suicune now. I've sighted it at least three times as a runaway encounter: first at the Burned Tower, theen near the Apricorn trees, and lastly by the Vermillion City docks. Despite those encounters, Suicune doesn't reappear when I check the hilltop at the end of Route 25. Am I overlooking some fourth requirement? Please help me if you can!

Old May 27th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Jak
mother of challenges

Did you see it on route 14? Should be the route right of Fushcia, over in the water. After that, make sure Misty has returned to her gym, and Suicune should be on that hilltop by Bill's house.
Old May 29th, 2013, 08:30 PM
mizterdekazy
Experienced Pokemon Trainer

Nature: Relaxed
Pick 3 Of YOUR favorite pokemon from HG/SS !!
they have to be different elements each (water, fire etc.)
Evolution is fine.
and why they are your favorite.
** so I wanna create a team of 3 because I challenge myself since I am bored of playing rom hacks..**
I will catch each pokemon and keep each in a party of 3 and not going past that.
I will ONLY catch the pokemon you list before JUNE 5th, 2013!
** when i reach Lv.60 with a pokemon they will be switched out for another one on the list.
please feel free to post more than once with different pokemons though!
I will appreciate the feedback!
OH and to be more specific, doing it for each game which is HG/SS !
:D
Old May 29th, 2013, 10:03 PM
curiousnathan
they said we could be anything

Please use the 4th Gen Help thread if you need any questions regarding the 4th Generation of games answered. 8)

[ Moved ]
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links