The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games

Notices

Video Games For non-Pokémon related game discussion. This area is for talking about computer and video gaming, from Nintendo to Sony, Microsoft to Sega, PC to Commodore.

Old May 24th, 2013, 02:21 AM
T!M
Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner

Nature: Serious
Day 25 - A Video Game that had the best mechanics

Final Fantasy 7's Materia system was the shaz. Lot's of customization options.
Old May 24th, 2013, 03:46 AM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Nature: Quirky
Day 25 - A Video Game with the Best Mechanics

Tales of Vesperia had simple, yet pretty fun mechanics on making combos and making Linked Artes! I also love Tales of Graces system; it's CC was tricky to get used to at first, but, it was pretty fun as well! <3

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old May 24th, 2013, 08:42 PM
thedestinedblade
Radiant Cool Boy
Community Supporter

Nature: Mild
Day 25 - A Video Game with the Best Mechanics

Always was a fan of Dark Cloud 2's (Dark Chronicle) game mechanics. Not just in gameplay, but in the city-building aspect too, which are far from being what you would describe as deep, but fun nonetheless. The weapon system was probably my favorite part about the game though. Weapons can be built-up by meeting certain criteria (most being able to branch into more than one-type) as well as synthesizing it with items to boost certain parameters.
Old May 25th, 2013, 12:13 AM
Brendino
Hold your breath. Make a wish. Count to three.

Nature: Quiet
Day 24 - Your first video game

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was the first video game that I can ever recall playing. It's hard to believe that it still manages to be my favorite game that I've played, but maybe the fact that it was my very first is part of the reason why (that, and it's incredibly simple and fun).

Both Portal and Portal 2 had the great innovation of the Portal gun to solve your missions, and I personally think it's one of the best game mechanics to date. Considering using the portal gun is basically the only thing you can do besides move around, yet the game was not only successful, but its sequel was too, showed that it really was an outside the box mechanic that worked incredibly well.

Day 26 - A video game that had the best voice acting

It may not have had the very best voice acting, but nothing else is really popping in my head other than Mass Effect 3. Seth Green, Martin Sheen, Yvonne Strahovski, Freddie Prinze Jr. and even people like Buzz Aldrin had speaking roles in the game, which is a pretty talented cast of people.
Old May 25th, 2013, 03:17 AM
T!M

Halo 3, mainly because of the Arbiter (Kieth David)
Old May 25th, 2013, 05:15 AM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Tales of Symphonia had really good voice acting! Persona 4 as well; each one of their voices were quite memorable. <3

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games

Sylvie
Old May 25th, 2013, 07:07 AM
Arcturus.
Chews nails and spits napalm

I really like the mechanics in Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2. Everything works just so not cooperating with teammates gets you killed, and I've always enjoyed that.

Probably going to have to go with Mass Effect 3 again, that game just has an all-star cast.
CSS|VM/PM|THEME
Old May 26th, 2013, 01:34 AM
T!M

Day 27 - Your favorite Boss Battle(s)

Battles without puzzles, 1 on 1. A battle that a victory is based on individual strength not parlor tricks. So: Almost every boss battle from Kingdom Hearts (first one)
Old May 26th, 2013, 08:23 AM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Day 27 - Your Favorite Boss Battle(s)

I really love the boss battles from Kid Icarus: Uprising. The music is well suited for each one of them, and you'd generally have to rely on your own skill, as well as weapon strength. :3 I also love the boss battles from Tales of Symphonia, mainly Yggdrasil because I always love fighting him. I also love the cameo battle from Tales of Abyss; you get to face Nanaly, Mist, Philia, and Reid, which was pretty exciting and fun to fight in!

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games

Sylvie
Old May 27th, 2013, 02:01 AM
DavidtheDeadPhilosopher

Nature: Modest
Day 18 - Favourite protagonist
Sonic the Hedgehog Gotta Go Fast
Pitt (Kid Icarus Uprising)-
Spoiler:

Day 19 - What video game world would you live in?
The Pokemon World! Johto ftw!

Day 20 - Do you prefer Consoles, or Handheld video games?
I'm forever a slave to my handhelds

Day 21 - Video Game/Series with the best story
Game: Bastion
Series:Final Fantasy

Day 22 - A video game which disappointed you

Sonic 06

Day 23 - Video game that had the most appealing graphics
Final Fantasy IX/X-Both Games were stunning when they first came out. IX was the most amazing thing graphicly to appear on the Ps1 and Final Fantasy X set the bar way high for the Ps2.

Day 24 - Your first video game
The first game I ever played was Super Mario World, The First Video Game I owned was Super Mario Bros: Deluxe for the GBC

Far Cry 3/Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
I think the game may have a few rough edges, but even so, the mechanics only increase the immersion of what's already a very immersive game.
Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga
It just fits like a glove

Kid Icarus Uprising Some of the funniest, genuine dialogue I've ever heard in gaming.
Bastion This is fundamental to what makes this game so special. Every line in this game is pretty much spot on.

Day 27 - Your favourite Boss Battle(s)
Perfect Chaos- The Music, the Game Feel, the atmosphere surrounding the battle are just awesome. It hasn't aged very well, but the Generations version of the battle is almost just as good!
Old May 27th, 2013, 02:06 AM
T!M

Day 28 - The hardest boss fight(s) you've ever been in

Easy-Hard: Kindom Heart's Riku (2nd battle inside Hollow Bastion)

Normal-Hard: Spider-Man 2's Doctor "Otto Octavious" Octopus (Final confrontation)

Hard-Hard: Pokémon's Silver/Gold/SoulSilver/HeartGold's Lance

Hardest: Every Touhou boss, ever.
Old May 27th, 2013, 04:31 AM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Ergh, Alexei from Tales of Vesperia for one... who spams his Mystic Artes all over the place. u_u Hades from Kid Icarus: Uprising on difficulty 9.0 is also pretty hard, so had that I have yet to beat it in that difficulty yet, but, I'm still trying! :3

There's also some especially hard boss fights from the Tales series on Unknown mode like The Traitor of Heaven in Tales of Vesperia (aka Kratos), Nebilim from Tales of Abyss, and Abyssion from Tales of Symphonia. Both hit very, very hard, and take a long, long time to defeat. .__.

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games

Sylvie
Old May 27th, 2013, 08:32 PM
T!M

Day 29 - Which video game character(s) would you be?

Spider-Man (Spider-Man 2), 1. I love New York City 2. I love Spider-Man, 'nuff said.
Old May 28th, 2013, 12:01 AM
Brendino

Day 27 - Your favourite Boss Battle(s)

The two-part boss of Death Egg Zone in Sonic 2- Silver Sonic and Dr. Robotnik's Giant Mech. It took me years to figure out how to beat it, but once I did, it was one of my proudest gaming moments up to that point.

This thing in the original Ecco the Dolphin on the Sega Genesis (Mega Drive). It probably doesn't help that the last time I played the game I was about 7, but I nearly threw the controller across the room on multiple occassions, and never beat it.

Basically any of the protagonists from the Pokemon games. I honestly don't care which one, since I'd be too excited about my new surroundings and adventures.
Old May 28th, 2013, 05:03 AM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

I'd be Roy from Fire Emblem: Binding Blade, because he's pretty cool, and he sort of relates to me~ Also maybe Miles "Tails" Prowler from the Sonic series, because, he'd be always awesome to be! Maybe Slippy Toad from Star Fox? Hm.

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games

Sylvie
Old May 28th, 2013, 11:47 PM
thedestinedblade
Radiant Cool Boy
Community Supporter

A tough one. I can name a lot of games that bad voice acting, but for good, nothing immediately comes to mind. Tales of Graces f had some decent voice acting for an RPG if I had to pick something.

Day 27 - Your favorite Boss Battle(s)

I loved Earthbound's final battle. Seeing how much Gigyas changed from Mother, where he's some alien, to Mother 2 (Earthbound) where he's now some formless embodiment of evil, was pretty sweet. Then you have Paula's constant pleas toward humanity and the famous line: "You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas' attack!" makes for an epic final battle and ending.

I never could beat Ozma from FFIX. Granted, this was years ago, and I was pretty new to JRPG games, but still, despite being around lv. 70, I remember my party getting annihilated in one turn when it's used Doomsday, lol.

Hm, probably any character that had some time-traveling adventure. So anyone like Chrono (Chrono Trigger) or Cless (ToP) would be fine for me.

Last edited by thedestinedblade; May 29th, 2013 at 02:49 AM.
Old May 29th, 2013, 12:52 AM
T!M

Day 30 - Which video game(s) has defined these last 30 days for you?

Black 2 & Halo 4
Old May 29th, 2013, 05:45 AM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Pretty much the Fire Emblem series, more notiablly, Fire Emblem: Awakening. It really got me into the Fire Emblem series again. Even right now, I'm playing Fire Emblem: the Binding Blade. It's hard, but, it's really worth playing!

...Anyways, this is unrelated, but, thanks so much for participating in the 30 days of VG, guys! Feel free to post any answers to the previous topics if you've missed any! There'll.. propably be another 30 days later in the days, but, you know, just watch for that! I hope you've enjoyed these past 30 days!

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games

Sylvie
Old May 29th, 2013, 07:27 AM
DavidtheDeadPhilosopher

Nature: Modest

Well I hardly ever beat any vidya, so it's hard bosses really don't come around to often for me. I suppose Ruby Weapon from Final Fantasy VII would count even though I personally never beat him (and their are harder FF bosses, I just never reached them myself). I'd have to say that some of the MGS bosses were tricky. I remember getting very close to defeating Psycho Mantis WITHOUT changing the controller slot. (Man I was stubborn, should of used my codec more often. You'd hate me for how I found Meryl's codec number). I remember Sniper Wolf being kinda challenging too.

Pitt-The campiest of all the hardcore killers!

Day 30-Something Something Something 30 days?

Pokemon and alot of Classic Sonic

I just discovered the debug menu in the 2.0 Version of Sonic the Hedgehog for Android.

Needless to say I'm rolling around Sonic 1 with Fire Shields..which feels all sorts of amazing.
Old May 29th, 2013, 08:22 PM
Brendino

I'm actually going through one of those phases where any time I sit down to play a game, nothing really appeals to me. I never seem to get bored of White 2 though, so I guess if any game defined me the last 30 days, that would be the one.
Old May 30th, 2013, 01:49 PM
thedestinedblade
Radiant Cool Boy
Community Supporter

For the last month it's been nothing but Super Robot Wars games for me. Managed to finish Z2, OGs (PS2), and OG Gaiden. Just started the 2nd OG for the PS3 as well. What an addicting series of games; I'm huge fan of mecha/super robot anime and this series of games is a fans dream come true. Music, characters, animation, gameplay, and storyline are always top notch.

Sponsored Links