• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Chit-Chat: In which we welcome back Shining Raichu from his extended vacation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandshrew4

Also known as Sandwich
Years
Regarding a few posts ago, both my parents are unemployed, and my dad has MS. I have no idea how they sent my sister and me to a gifted school that was around $18,000 a year. Financial aid sure, but still.
I honestly, seriously have no idea how we are still living in a house. No joke.

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
Years
And is frodo the term? =P The kid's sorta antisocial, so it's weird. I accidentally almost took his head off with a soccer ball one once. =/

Yes lol I mean, compare him to this:

2014505-frodo88.jpg

And tell me that he doesn't wear the same attire :P

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
I still live with my parents and I would really like to be able to save money and move out eventually. It upsets me that I havent been able to do this already, but I dont have the money or a job.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
Going back to the suit vs tux thing:

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Suit_vs_Tuxedo

Wearing a suit every day to school sound badass. Man if those kids love what they're wearing then who's to stop em, right?

:3 My boyfriend wore a gorgeous tux this weekend for a wedding <3 I hope he posts some pics here because he looked so good in it yayaya I love suits and tuxedos <3

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
Years
I need to get a new suit. Last time I took mine to the dry cleaners, it came back with a bunch of holes all in it. Didn't notice it for a few weeks though, and can't prove that they did it there, so... :/

Sir Codin

When I went to jury duty and found we didn't even need to wear suits, I changed into regular clothes during recess.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 14, 2024
I'm not a huge fan of suits.

When I went to jury duty and found we didn't even need to wear suits, I changed into regular clothes during recess.

What is jury duty like? I've heard it's very monotonous and boring, but since I haven't been called up yet, I've never had a chance to experience this firsthand.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
I got called for Jury Duty. I didnt have to go last week but I might have to this week. Not really looking forward to it because it really dosent sound exciting.

Honest

Hi!
Years
Fairly certain jury duty's random. It's awesome when your teacher gets it, that's for sure.

I actually find it to be rather interesting, but I guess that only is the case hah! when there's an interesting crime to judge. Not traffic ticket poop.

Sir Codin

Getting called for jury service is random I believe.

Once you show up, they pick about 80 people and you walk into the room. The judge and lawyers relay the case to all the potential jurors and then ask questions to about 5 - 20 people at a time to determine whether or not you'll be good enough to serve on the jury. Questions like "have you been a victim of this particular crime?", "do you have family in law enforcement?","do you distrust authority figures?", and even your opinion on certain issues (such as guns or abortion). They do this to weed out any potential jurors who have bias, in order to try and create as fair and unbiased jury as they possibly can.

A jury has to be narrowed down to 12 people out of 80, so depending on the people, things can go fast or slow.

If you have opinions or experiences that the judge or lawyers might deem as making you too potentially biased, you're dismissed from jury duty and won't have to report into jury service for another two years. Also, they might not even get to you and decide to stick with the jury they've decided, so then everyone else is dismissed and doesn't have to show for jury service for another 2 years - which is what happened with me; and I was thankful for it, because frankly, I didn't want to be there at that particular time.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
So basically I can show up but might not be picked at all? I guess I was lucky I didnt have to go in last week.

Sir Codin

Sorry, I forgot to mention it was 80 people PER CASE.

There'll likely be several case being worked on in different courtrooms during the day, but you only have to serve one. But if you meet the conditions above or get lucky enough that the judge and lawyers decide to use the jury they have before getting around to asking you questions, you'll be dismissed.

However, it really does depend on the judgment of the judge and lawyers. The selecting process could take as little as a few hours or as long as a couple of days. Oh, and don't think about lying about certain information to get out of being selected as a juror - you're under penalty of perjury if they find out it's a fib.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I heard once that they don't pick people that read books during jury duty because people that are smart drag out the process of getting a verdict and they would rather have people that are easily influenced by lawyers. Kinda freaked me out. x_x

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
Years
I heard once that they don't pick people that read books during jury duty because people that are smart drag out the process of getting a verdict and they would rather have people that are easily influenced by lawyers. Kinda freaked me out. x_x

Doesn't sound like a fair, unbiased judicial system at all lol Why even "weed out"?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Because the lawyers get to "rule out" people basically, based on personal biases they may have. If you think that strippers are terrible people for example, the lawyer wouldn't want you on a jury if his client is a stripper, right?

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years

Ever watch 12 Angry Men? Prime example of a jury full of people who are easily influenced or just don't care.

droomph

weeb
Years

They don't? Then I'm reading every book I have when I get that letter.

…then again, I don't think I'm a full citizen yet? That means I won't have to do jury duty!… ¬.¬

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 14, 2024
They don't? Then I'm reading every book I have when I get that letter.

…then again, I don't think I'm a full citizen yet? That means I won't have to do jury duty!… ¬.¬

You're from China, correct? When do you become a full citizen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back