The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 27th, 2013, 09:46 PM
ZangoMango
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Impish

Advertise here
Having problems with unLZ, I've got my sprites indexed 64x64 with 16 colors, but when I try to write to ROM they don't transfer over and it just messed up the palette of the ingame sprite it was supposed to overwrite instead, like so. I even tried just saving default sprites like Venusaur and then overwriting another sprite with it, but it did the same thing. Pretty common problem I assume. Tips?

Last edited by ZangoMango; May 27th, 2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old May 27th, 2013, 09:54 PM
robin22gongon

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to robin22gongon
Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedjagold View Post
1. No idea.
1.5. Make a script to activate it.
Spoiler:

2. Try changing the flags that you are checking. I believe those flags you are using are automatically being restarted by the ROM.
1) Okay.
1.5) Okay.
2) What?! Even if I'm using JPAN's Engine?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZangoMango View Post
Having problems with unLZ, I've got my sprites indexed 64x64 with 16 colors, but when I try to write to ROM they don't transfer over and it just messed up the palette of the ingame sprite it was supposed to overwrite instead, like so. I even tried just saving default sprites like Venusaur and then overwriting another sprite with it, but it did the same thing. Tips?
Like what I said to the other guy who asked that, use Wichu's Sprite Editor Instead, it automatically indexes and fixes everything for you.

And since a page has passed, I would like to "re-ask" my questions.

Quote:
1) We all know that Mastermind_X made an ASM Code to create unlimited shinies but, how do we make it so that the Player will NEVER EVER encounter a shiny?
2) I'm trying to compile this script:

Code:
#dynamic 0x750000

#org @start
lock
checkflag 0x1
if 0x1 goto @ka
checkflag 0x2
if 0x1 goto @fuu
checkflag 0x3
if 0x1 goto @rai
checkflag 0x4
if 0x1 goto @do
checkflag 0x5
if 0x1 goto @sui
release
end

#org @ka
warp 0x3 0x1 0x1 0xC 0xC
release
end

#org @fuu
warp 0x3 0x2 0x1 0xC 0xC
release
end

#org @rai
warp 0x3 0x3 0x1 0xC 0xC
release
end

#org @do
warp 0x3 0x4 0x1 0xC 0xC
release
end

#org @sui
warp 0x3 0x5 0x1 0xC 0xC
release
end
It should warp to a map according to the flag set but it doesn't work. That is originally made for a Signpost event but it didn't work. I tried setting it on a Script Event, didn't work, again. (Note: Of course I set the Var Thingies on the Script Event!) And I tried it on a Person Event but it didn't work either. What's wrong?
Destinedjagold said the game auto-resets the flags I used but, I was like "Really?!" Even if I use JPAN's Engine.

Last edited by robin22gongon; May 27th, 2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old May 27th, 2013, 10:05 PM
destinedjagold
Oh Hai Thar~ 'ω'
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin22gongon View Post
1.5) Can you link me to it?
It's in HackMew's Tool Thread.

Quote:
2) What?! Even if I'm using JPAN's Engine?!
That I am not sure. I don't hack FireRed, but those types of flags are used by the game for rock smashable rocks, cuttable trees, etc. At least, in Ruby they are.

Quote:
Having problems with unLZ, I've got my sprites indexed 64x64 with 16 colors, but when I try to write to ROM they don't transfer over and it just messed up the palette of the ingame sprite it was supposed to overwrite instead, like so. I even tried just saving default sprites like Venusaur and then overwriting another sprite with it, but it did the same thing. Pretty common problem I assume. Tips?
Close Unlz-GBA, go to your ROM's folder, and delete the files with the .spr and .pal extensions.
And then open your ROM with Unlz-GBA once again.
Old May 27th, 2013, 10:13 PM
ZangoMango
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Like what I said to the other guy who asked that, use Wichu's Sprite Editor Instead, it automatically indexes and fixes everything for you.
Works beautifully, thanks buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedjagold View Post
Close Unlz-GBA, go to your ROM's folder, and delete the files with the .spr and .pal extensions.
And then open your ROM with Unlz-GBA once again.
Cool, I'll save this for future reference, thanks man.
Old May 28th, 2013, 12:00 AM
kearnseyboy6
Aussie's Toughest Mudder

Quote:
Okay I have some questions!

1) We all know that Mastermind_X made an ASM Code to create unlimited shinies but, how do we make it so that the Player will NEVER EVER encounter a shiny?
Hmm maybe if you NEVER want to encounter them you could replace all shiny sprites with regular. Tedious but I guess it'll work
Old May 28th, 2013, 12:06 AM
robin22gongon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearnseyboy6 View Post
Hmm maybe if you NEVER want to encounter them you could replace all shiny sprites with regular. Tedious but I guess it'll work
Yes the sprites would change but the sparkles that appear on shinies will still appear. Thanks for your opinion though.
Old May 28th, 2013, 12:31 AM
kearnseyboy6
Aussie's Toughest Mudder

Quote:
Yes the sprites would change but the sparkles that appear on shinies will still appear. Thanks for your opinion though.
You could always edit the images in UnLz, just have no clue where they are.
Old May 28th, 2013, 12:36 AM
robin22gongon

Quote:
You could always edit the images in UnLz, just have no clue where they are.
Nononononoooo! Have you seen a shiny yet in game? There some features that only appear on shinies so even editing the sprites but not modifying the engine and still encountering shinies even if they look normal, several things and events occur. Okay, bye! Gotta go!
Old May 28th, 2013, 12:51 AM
kearnseyboy6
Aussie's Toughest Mudder

Quote:
Nononononoooo! Have you seen a shiny yet in game? There some features that only appear on shinies so even editing the sprites but not modifying the engine and still encountering shinies even if they look normal, several things and events occur. Okay, bye! Gotta go!
Why can't you just make the stars transparent. and that way with the sprite as normal nothing changes
Old May 28th, 2013, 02:33 AM
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Well, you simply eliminate the checks for shiny pokemon. In my research, I came across the palette loader for shinies. After some crazy calculations on the PID:p, it simply compares the output to 7. If less than, it loads the shiny palettet, if not, it loads the regular palette. I'm sure similar routines are used to load the stars and such. If you change those checks to "nop", then it should never use them and no shiny should ever appear.

Paired with Simba
Old May 28th, 2013, 02:48 AM
robin22gongon

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
Well, you simply eliminate the checks for shiny pokemon. In my research, I came across the palette loader for shinies. After some crazy calculations on the PID:p, it simply compares the output to 7. If less than, it loads the shiny palettet, if not, it loads the regular palette. I'm sure similar routines are used to load the stars and such. If you change those checks to "nop", then it should never use them and no shiny should ever appear.
Oh hey it's karatekid552! About that, where could those checks be?

And about this:
Quote:
2) I'm trying to compile this script:
Code:
#dynamic 0x750000

#org @start
lock
checkflag 0x1
if 0x1 goto @ka
checkflag 0x2
if 0x1 goto @fuu
checkflag 0x3
if 0x1 goto @rai
checkflag 0x4
if 0x1 goto @do
checkflag 0x5
if 0x1 goto @sui
release
end

#org @ka
warp 0x3 0x1 0x1 0xC 0xC
release
end

#org @fuu
warp 0x3 0x2 0x1 0xC 0xC
release
end

#org @rai
warp 0x3 0x3 0x1 0xC 0xC
release
end

#org @do
warp 0x3 0x4 0x1 0xC 0xC
release
end

#org @sui
warp 0x3 0x5 0x1 0xC 0xC
release
end
It should warp to a map according to the flag set but it doesn't work. That is originally made for a Signpost event but it didn't work. I tried setting it on a Script Event, didn't work, again. (Note: Of course I set the Var Thingies on the Script Event!) And I tried it on a Person Event but it didn't work either. What's wrong?
Is what destinedjagold said right, which is "2. Try changing the flags that you are checking. I believe those flags you are using are automatically being restarted by the ROM."?

And I'm using JAPN's FR Engine.
Old May 28th, 2013, 03:01 AM
karatekid552

Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Oh hey it's karatekid552! About that, where could those checks be?

And about this:

Is what destinedjagold said right, which is "2. Try changing the flags that you are checking. I believe those flags you are using are automatically being restarted by the ROM."?

And I'm using JAPN's FR Engine.
One of the checks is in the routine at 0x440F4. You will need to use ASM to find the others.

Flag 0x1..... You need to start checking the lists from DavidJCobb. That flag is sooo temporary, I could sneeze and it would have problems staying set and JPAN's engine doesn't add any more safe flags.

Paired with Simba
Old May 28th, 2013, 03:13 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
One of the checks is in the routine at 0x440F4. You will need to use ASM to find the others.

Flag 0x1..... You need to start checking the lists from DavidJCobb. That flag is sooo temporary, I could sneeze and it would have problems staying set and JPAN's engine doesn't add any more safe flags.
Would it be worthwhile to release the code I made which adds a bunch of new safe flags and vars, do you think? It carries a problem in that it necessitates the use of JPAN's save block hack, which very few people can correctly insert, and that any already in progress hack will need to be restarted (from a playing perspective, not a hacking perspective).
Old May 28th, 2013, 03:15 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post
Would it be worthwhile to release the code I made which adds a bunch of new safe flags and vars, do you think? It carries a problem in that it necessitates the use of JPAN's save block hack, which very few people can correctly insert, and that any already in progress hack will need to be restarted (from a playing perspective, not a hacking perspective).
Jambo, remember, we made the patch? The one for the save-block hack? So that no one would ever have to go through those troubles again? So that part is easy, but the code you wrote would deffinaetly be worth it.

Paired with Simba
Old May 28th, 2013, 03:29 AM
robin22gongon

Quote:

Sorry for the late reply. So what's a very ideal and easy to remember flag that is safe to use? Can I use 0x300 and up? Because I'm gonna use a straight set of 250 flags and I don't wanna overlap anything. And also sorry, I thought removing the 0x(00)1 would affect it. Heheheh... And I've been quite forgetful these days. Oh and at one point of time, I made a setflag 0x1 in one map then a checkflag 0x1 in another map but it worked so I thought it would be safe now...

Quote:
Quote:
Jambo, remember, we made the patch? The one for the save-block hack? So that no one would ever have to go through those troubles again? So that part is easy, but the code you wrote would deffinaetly be worth it.
Is this the patch you guys are talking about? Which flags and vars does it make safe to use and how many are they?
Old May 28th, 2013, 03:35 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Is this the patch you guys are talking about? Which flags and vars does it make safe to use and how many are they?
That patch doesn't make it safe in and of itself to use vars/flags, but it's the first step in a few of getting safe vars and flags.

I have code made to take advantage of the newly freed up save space and make new variables and flags which are safe to use. I haven't released it and I was wondering if I should. It's not easy to use (albeit easier than JPAN's code).
Old May 28th, 2013, 03:43 AM
hinkage
Go make some new disaster
Community Supporter

Quote:
Sorry for the late reply. So what's a very ideal and easy to remember flag that is safe to use? Can I use 0x300 and up? Because I'm gonna use a straight set of 250 flags and I don't wanna overlap anything. And also sorry, I thought removing the 0x(00)1 would affect it. :P Heheheh... And I've been quite forgetful these days. Oh and at one point of time, I made a setflag 0x1 in one map then a checkflag 0x1 in another map but it worked so I thought it would be safe now...

Flags 0x200-0x2FF are safe I'm pretty sure. In that space, you have 255 flags to use which is enough for what you wanted. I think Karatekid told me that so blame him if something goes wrong ;D
Old May 28th, 2013, 03:49 AM
robin22gongon

Quote:
That patch doesn't make it safe in and of itself to use vars/flags, but it's the first step in a few of getting safe vars and flags.

I have code made to take advantage of the newly freed up save space and make new variables and flags which are safe to use. I haven't released it and I was wondering if I should. It's not easy to use (albeit easier than JPAN's code).
But can it be used on the engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinkage View Post
Flags 0x200-0x2FF are safe I'm pretty sure. In that space, you have 255 flags to use which is enough for what you wanted. I think Karatekid told me that so blame him if something goes wrong ;D
Actually, no. One is used:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJCobb View Post
Flag 0x266 appears to be directly manipulated by the game engine. If set, there is an EGG waiting for you in the Four Island Daycare Center. It is unset manually by scripts if you choose to discard the egg.
I have to use a straight list.

EDIT: Also another question. Does this only make the images appear or does it also apply the Physical/Special Split?

If it doesn't, Can someone link me to a patch that apply the Physical/Special Split? The one Doesntknowhowtoplay made makes moves deal like 3HP damage just like that. I think it went overboard or is it really supposed to be like that?

Last edited by robin22gongon; May 28th, 2013 at 04:02 AM.
Old May 28th, 2013, 04:03 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
But can it be used on the engine?

Actually, no. One is used:

I have to use a straight list.
Yes it can be. JPAN's engine and his save block hack should be compatible, seeing as he made both and they affect different things.

Aww you have to check the list:p.

Paired with Simba
Old May 28th, 2013, 04:26 AM
robin22gongon

Quote:
Yes it can be. JPAN's engine and his save block hack should be compatible, seeing as he made both and they affect different things.

Aww you have to check the list:p.
Then Jambo should release the code which makes some flags and vars safe.

Oh. I. Am. So. Dumb.
Old May 28th, 2013, 05:01 AM
kearnseyboy6
Aussie's Toughest Mudder

Sorry for asking the same question again but how do I repoint the overworlds so the frames load correctly? I have repointed the frames images so I don't think they are the problem...
Old May 28th, 2013, 05:53 AM
ZangoMango
Unhatched Egg

Any thoughts on getting around these unhandled exception errors in APSE? I am but a Vulpix's hair away from realizing my dream of changing an Oddish into a Venusaur.
Old May 28th, 2013, 06:10 AM
robin22gongon

Quote:
Any thoughts on getting around these unhandled exception errors in APSE? I am but a Vulpix's hair away from realizing my dream of changing an Oddish into a Venusaur.
Your Front Sprite has more than 16 colors. Check it in either Photoshop or Irfanview.
Old May 28th, 2013, 06:10 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
Sorry for asking the same question again but how do I repoint the overworlds so the frames load correctly? I have repointed the frames images so I don't think they are the problem...
Use NSE. It will repoint and do all of that for you.

Paired with Simba
Old May 28th, 2013, 06:45 AM
ZangoMango
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Your Front Sprite has more than 16 colors. Check it in either Photoshop or Irfanview.
Sometimes that does the trick, but once I've cleared getting the sprite into APSE, I get an unhandled exception error when I click Write to ROM. Never gotten past that point so far.

Is the error happening because the shiny sprite is messed up? http://i.imgur.com/roSUHjg.png
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here