The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fourth Generation

Notices

Fourth Generation Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum kicked off the fourth generation of Pokémon. Two years later, fans of the Johto region were treated to a remastered adventure in HeartGold & SoulSilver. Discuss the games, explore the features, share your experiences, and help other players out!

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 18th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Amore
Now stand up and begin
Community Supporter

Advertise here
Well...my favourite region isn't really a region...but it also isn't Sinnoh. The Johto-Kanto landmass is probably my favourite region - there's just so much to do, and the aesthetics of the entire game are just...great, possibly better than Unova in Black (everything in Black's crisper, whereas in HeartGold everything's got smooth edges) - or perhaps Hoenn, but maybe that's just nostalgia.
Sinnoh's definitely a good region, if a little disappointing that there's so little water (obviously to counter Emerald's abundance). Especially in Platinum, where they gave it a bit more character and the towns look less...samey. The Battle Zone in particular is greatly improved in Platinum. The variation in the routes - grass, water, snow, bog etc. is brilliant, and the music is really good too.
Although I wouldn't say its my favourite, Sinnoh definitely gets a 4/5 at least. I'd struggle to choose a favourite region, Sinnoh wouldn't be it, but it'd rank above Unova.
Old May 18th, 2013, 03:35 PM
Rai
Misao <3

Nature: Impish
Send a message via AIM to Rai
Me too! I have played every game since the the first generation, but Sinnoh is my favorite region ever. It is colorful and different and it has the most amount of pokemon that I like.

@GoldMalik- Yeah, it does stand out. That is another reason why it is my favorite region. It is unique among the other regions.
Old May 18th, 2013, 03:40 PM
j_Woo
Patnogonian

Nature: Hardy
I enjoy all generations and regions of Pokemon. However, Sinnoh is actually my least favorite :/ I think that Sinnoh was kind of the region where they started adding a bunch of unneeded legendaries, that's really the main turn off for me. Also, it seems like the type of people who always call people "genwunners" or "untrue fans" for not liking a few of the newer pokemon all seem to praise sinnoh (not trying to create a stereotype or blame anyone, just saying that that's a personal experience that has led me to not like the region as much). Again, though, I do still like the region, just not my favorite

^Play these, they're mo betta^
Old May 18th, 2013, 04:26 PM
Liquid Halo
Tortured Vampire

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_Woo View Post
Also, it seems like the type of people who always call people "genwunners" or "untrue fans" for not liking a few of the newer pokemon all seem to praise sinnoh.
Hmm, I have never heard of this and it doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't those who like the newer generations more than the originals be the 'untrue fans'? Not being around for or disliking the regions which begun the franchise to me better defines the term.

I am not calling anyone an 'untrue fan', I don't believe anyone is. I speak only from an analyzing perspective.

My screenshot album
http://pinterest.com/darknesswithin/pokemon-games/
Old May 19th, 2013, 02:57 AM
Amore
Now stand up and begin
Community Supporter

I don't think you could really argue anyone is an "untrue fan" except perhaps someone who prefers spin-offs to the main series games. As somebody who didn't play Gen I, but did play the re-makes, I can see why Kanto is praised so much (it's a bit like Star Wars, yes the graphics are vastly better in Revenge of the Sith, but A New Hope is timeless). But I can't really see how Kanto on its own (Without Johto) can be argued as vastly superior to Sinnoh.
Old May 19th, 2013, 05:49 AM
fireredmaster
Unhatched Egg

It's just my opinion but its one of the worst
Old May 19th, 2013, 06:30 AM
Nuke

Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
I still look back at Sinnoh with really fond memories, I haven't played any of the Sinnoh games for at least three years now, but I still don't think it compares to the first three regions. It was still brilliant though and ten times better than Unova will ever be.

X + Y - 4914-3466-1264

Last edited by Nuke; May 31st, 2013 at 06:14 AM.
Old May 19th, 2013, 06:40 AM
j_Woo
Patnogonian

Nature: Hardy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Halo View Post
Hmm, I have never heard of this and it doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't those who like the newer generations more than the originals be the 'untrue fans'? Not being around for or disliking the regions which begun the franchise to me better defines the term.
What I mean by this is that people who prefer the newer gens usually think that people who don't only like Kanto and think that all others are terrible. That's what I meant by "calling people genwunners or untrue fans just for disliking a few of the newer pokemon designs"

^Play these, they're mo betta^
Old May 26th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Ludvig Da Great
Unhatched Egg

to me,yes,becuse in sinoh there were allot of cool new pokemon added,but more important then that,all the old pokemon were armed with their 2nd and 3rd evolutions and that is mainly why people like this reagon,if they are awear of it or not.
Old May 28th, 2013, 11:02 AM
TreeTerraGames
Youtuber - Pokemon

Nature: Calm
I think it was the best region as in terms of design and layout and it featured the best starter (in my opinion) and it was my first ever game (Diamond) but in terms of wild pokémon I've got to say Hoenn is the best in my opinion .
White 2 - 0820 4757 3793
White - 4557 0976 7865
Soul Silver - 4899 9062 2476

Team -
Ninjask: Speed boost / Jolly / Substitute, Swords dance, Baton Pass, Bug Bite / Max Speed
Gyarados: Intimidate / Lonely / Dragon Dance, Earthquake, Ice Fang, Waterfall / Max Attack
Swampert: Damp / Relaxed / (Need A Move Set Thats Good)
Servine: Contrary / Mild / Leaf Storm, Calm Mind, Solarbeam, Toxic
(This is going to be my main team its just a WIP still)

Youtube Subscribe - TreeTerraGames
Old May 31st, 2013, 03:42 AM
Da_Man32
Togepi

Sinnoh is my favorite region. In the first place, it's amazing in terms of design. In the second place, I like my game to last, and there are lots of things to do in this one. It was pretty addictive how Rowan sent you from one errand to another... um, I mean, how the adventure proceeded. Barry annoyed me initially (I named him "Pest" in my first Platinum walkthrough :D ), but now he's one of my favorite rivals- he actually has a personality and he shows character growth. I love the starters as well as the wild Pokemon. Team Galactic, admittedly, was meh. Personally, I think every evil plot is inferior to BW's. Also, it was slightly annoying that we needed so many useless HMs. The E4 was actually slightly challenging (see Lucian) and Cynthia was... Cynthia.
Old May 31st, 2013, 12:12 PM
Pinsir2735
The Sublime

Nature: Bold
Good region, but Johto is better.
Old June 1st, 2013, 04:57 AM
JawDane
Here for the Nostalgia

I'd say Johto was my favorite. Music was nice and the overall feeling of playing Gen II games *thumbs up* to that.
Old June 1st, 2013, 05:22 AM
DelightedTurk
Hipsterest Hypno in the land

Nature: Calm
I thought it was a really good region overall and was really good. I preferred it to Hoenn because of the huge amount of surfing needed in the Hoenn region, but Mt. Coronet was a pain for me. However the region was really well done and I enjoyed every city and they all stand out in my memory. I thought Underground was a really good feature as well and Team Galactic were my favourite team and I don't even know why. I found Cyrus really interesting and Saturn was a stand-out for me as an Admin
Old June 1st, 2013, 06:15 AM
.:batto:.
Pokébreeder

Nature: Bold
Hoenn would have to be my favourite. abundance of water plus the luscious green forests, long grass. ect.

but overall id much rather play the jhoto / kanto regions any day.
Old June 1st, 2013, 05:08 PM
Roychu
Unhatched Egg

I haven't played it yet, and somehow I already don't really like it. I'm not sure why. I really hate Lucas the hero, but Iunno, Dialga and Palkia aren't my favorites to say the least.
Maybe playing through it I'll change my mind.
One thing's for sure though- CYNTHIA'S HOT.
My Heart Gold FC - 0262 1253 3957

I admin a pokemon-based page on facebook - facebook.com/PkmnUltimateGold

My Welcome Lounge thread - http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthr...53#post7685453
Old June 2nd, 2013, 12:42 PM
Sasuke Uchiha
The Avenger

Nature: Brave
Sinnoh Region Was Most Likely One Of The Best Regions From My Point Of View.

Old Username:RedPhoenixMaster

Old June 6th, 2013, 05:35 PM
Kafkaesquire
Unhatched Egg

I thought it was cool that the region was divided by Mt. Coronet. Platinum is probably my favorite game overall, and a lot of it has to do with how much I like the region. The Pokemon? Well, not my favorite, but not bad, either. But the region gets at least a second place in my book.
Old June 6th, 2013, 10:38 PM
King Of Pokemon
Pokemon King

Nature: Lonely
This is my favorite region by far, for one particular reason.
This is where I found my love for pokemon.
This was the first pokemon game I ever played and I loved it.
But that's not the only thing, something about the entire region as a whole, the pokemon were great, the towns beautiful, and of course, introduction of Wi-Fi and AD Hoc, ah the cave system, wherever did you go.
There was one bad thing however, and that was the gym's, they were either frustrating or unimaginative E.g. The fighting gym and the hearthome gym, I mean, maths, seriously Nintendo?
Old June 7th, 2013, 08:13 PM
F13rC Pulse

I wasn't impressed by Team Galactic's goals (really, just the goals of Cyrus) nor most of the latter layouts of Iron Island, the snowy routes, Mt. Coronet, and the after E4 island.
Those areas were often a chore to traverse and far less interesting than the earlier half of Sinnoh.
Perhaps the pacing was better in Platinum (haven't played it), but I don't quite like DP's pacing.

I'd place HGSS Johto-Kanto above Sinnoh, but not Johto alone nor Kanto without the Sevii Islands.
If Hoenn were remade, it'd probably be my favorite region.
Old June 21st, 2013, 08:25 PM
PekoponTAS
Game Boy Advance Fan

Nature: Naive
Overall I guess I'd say Sinnoh is my favourite, though I think all of the games are worth playing. Sinnoh just felt like a grand adventure somehow, where the other games were a little more shallow. I also quite like the slow paced nature of the game, as it makes the whole game have a somewhat relaxed tone to it, and makes the game seem very large and expansive.

I also really like the Elite Four in Sinnoh, and Cynthia is a really cool character, and a great final boss fight.

FireRed HeartGold Ruby Platinum White2
Old June 21st, 2013, 09:06 PM
Sheraku

Nature: Quiet
I liked the layout of the Sinnoh Region itself, but that's about it for the 4th Gen. For starters they ruined my favorite Pokemon Sneasel by having it evolve. The Forth Gen also had too many legendaries. I wasn't particularily fond of any of the starters either. But they did have some cool new Pokemon, too. Shinx for one.

I'd have to say my favorite Region was Johto for the obvious reason of introducing the Dark/Ice Weasle. But I liked playing in Kanto the most, because you got to be the original Pokemon Master Red.

I have to say in conclusion that I like all the Regions, they all have they're own thing going for 'em. And that's 8 Gyms.
-Team Rocket Kumori Sheraku
Pokemon: Dissappearing Souls
-Corrupt Champion Tsuya Tougen
Pokemon: Hollow Shadows
-Mawile Knight Marek Reiketsukan
Monster Art Online [Remake]
-Grinder Tabris (Cody Martin Ascher)
Old June 23rd, 2013, 03:04 AM
PyroDragneer
Pokemon Trainer Pyro

Sinnoh and Hoenn were my two favourite regions because of the Epic storyline, Starters and pokemons we can found there as most of my favourite pokemons are from Sinnoh and Hoenn (ex. Infernape & Swampert)
Old June 23rd, 2013, 05:30 PM
Therizinosaurus

while its definately not my fav region, i wont deny that its a pretty good region. i liked its style, and the whole winter theme it had, which was something new. i think its definetely better than unova. unfortuantely it had too many annoying things, like the swamp mud (UGH) and the show, to get stuck in. and prof rowan always seemed really grouchy and unlikable. but most other aspects i really liked. im currently replaying diamond and im pretty sure im going to buy platinum today
Old June 26th, 2013, 11:17 PM
alienhunterx

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to alienhunterx
Yes I agree with you . I love Sinnoh region the most. It was all time my favourite even in the anime also. So Big and so well planned. Every thing of it makes me wish I lived there and travelled in it
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here