The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Metal & Color Generation

Notices

Metal & Color Generation Take a walk down memory lane with Red, Blue, and Yellow, the games that started it all! Then revisit the best region ever in the original Johto games, Gold, Silver, and Crystal.

Advertise here

View Poll Results: Now, player, which Pokemon do you choose?
5 17.24%
17 58.62%
7 24.14%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 19th, 2013, 09:32 PM
Jak
i'll let you have it

Nature: Timid

Advertise here
For fans that started with the original games, this decision was likely the toughest choice you had to make as a kid. Who was the first friend you picked upon starting Pokemon Red, Blue, or Green Version?
yes i know rbg wasn't everyone's first game let's not ruin what i was going for here

Into the room, I know you want it
Bang bang, all over you, I'll let you have it
Wait a minute, let me take you there
Old May 19th, 2013, 11:18 PM
Brendino
Hold your breath. Make a wish. Count to three.

Nature: Quiet
I don't really pick it when I get the opportunity now, but as a kid, Charmander was the coolest of the three, and easily my first choice. Who wanted a walking plant or a water-shooting turtle when you could have a fire-breathing lizard that turned into a dragon? Back then, seemed like a no-brainer to me.
Old May 20th, 2013, 01:26 AM
Powerserge
The Imminent Victor

Nature: Relaxed
^ Exactly

Too bad that stealth rock/stone edge completely screwed Charizard out of versatile usability, haha. I miss the days of belly drum Charizard! (yeah yeah, that's Gen II....)
Old May 20th, 2013, 06:13 AM
~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
Buffalo State College

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via AIM to ~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
Since I didn't know any better (I was 6 1/2 years old at that time), I was so much in a rush to play my Pokemon Red version that I went to the first Pokeball and choose that Pokemon and that Pokemon turned out to be Bulbasuar.

TG

Friend Code: 3136-6961-3807 Friend Safari:Steel: Metang, Magneton and Klefi
Old May 20th, 2013, 11:30 AM
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

I kept hearing that Bulbasaur was the easiest choice and the best choice so I went with Bulbasaur the very first time I played Pokemon Blue. After getting to Viridian City, I restarted and chose Charmander, and never looked back.

Also, Squirtle's back sprite used to scare me, and I didn't want to look at it. :C
Old May 20th, 2013, 12:04 PM
Dangelitus

Nature: Modest
The first time i played pokemon blue i pick up squirtle, but the second type i played with Charmander, because i like his design and the fact that he look like a dragon, the only downside its in the begin because the first gymleader was brock, and the gymleader misty, so when i chose charmander, I had to have another pokemon that can fight with brocks pokemon, but after that was very good starter.
Old May 20th, 2013, 06:42 PM
lmcde22

Charmander - Charizard is the best starter line! I always love it no matter how many times i am KO'd by pesky Onix.
Old May 20th, 2013, 07:56 PM
RoreyG
Lizardon Man

Nature: Adamant
Training a Charmander in the original Red Version really taught me some valuable life lessons (such as patience, perseverance and belief in oneself) that I still hold with me today. It had a great impact on my life; it helped to shape the person I am and gave me the tools I need to achieve all of my successes. For the most part, that's why I hold the Charmander line (and Charizard in particular) so close to my heart.

Old May 20th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Adrian!
Urban Adventurer

Nature: Impish
Send a message via Skype™ to Adrian!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astinus View Post
Also, Squirtle's back sprite used to scare me, and I didn't want to look at it. :C
HAHAHAHAHA, that is the best thing I have ever heard!

I've always liked Bulbasaur, but it was too weak. I've always -wanted- to choose Squirtle, but I don't like how Blastoise looks. Then came the lizard with its tail on fire. It turns into a dragon, so I always end up with Charmander.

Last edited by Adrian!; May 20th, 2013 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old May 21st, 2013, 02:43 AM
Azure
» e l e c t r i c
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Azure
It was always between Bulbasaur or Squirtle most of the time, don't get me wrong I've used Charmander too but I just found Charizard a little too over rated.

Old May 21st, 2013, 02:45 AM
Keldeoh
It's so Flaaffy!

Team Squirtle all the way! When I was little, my favorite color was blue so I picked Squirtle without hesitation. He might have got the short end of the stick between the three starters when it came to their movepools, but nevertheless he was still my choice - and I never regretted it.

Currently Playing: Pokemon Red (1/8)

And so began a young woman's quest to become the greatest trainer of them all...
{ Pokemon Tumblr }
Old May 21st, 2013, 05:25 AM
giradialkia
Community Supporter

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to giradialkia
Go Bulbasaur! :P I'll always choose Bulbasaur, and I always did as a kid, even though it has to be said that it definitely wasn't the best out of the three. I just didn't like going with the obvious "CHARIZARD IS DA BEST CUZ IT'S A DRAGUN" argument and wanted to deviate from that. Bulbasaur is slated for being weaker than the rest, and for being an 'easy way out' for the first two Gym Leaders.

Regardless, I've always liked Bulbasaur the most. Clearly. :P
Old May 21st, 2013, 08:36 AM
Olli
we keep this love in a photograph

Like many others, Charmander was my first pick. It had that mixture of being cute and looking strong at the same time, and I was sure it was the best choice for me. Well, the first few hours of the game tried hard to convince that it wasn't, because I had a really tough time getting past Brock and Misty, especially since I had no knowledge of the mechanics or anything back then :p And while it eventually grew to be a strong fighter, I didn't use one for a long time after, just because of how tough the start proved to be for little 3 year old me :[

My first choice nowadays is, and probably will always be Bulbasaur. Additionally to really liking it design-wise (well, mainly the first two stages. I don't like Venusaur's design quite as much), it makes the first part of the game so much easier and fast to get through than with Charmander (even though its moveset has been updated to accomodate for the first gym), and the lazy side of me really likes that ;D
Old May 22nd, 2013, 03:20 AM
Ratkai
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Lonely
I always liked Charmander the most, though Squirtle is also nice The only one I never liked, and sorry for that, is Bulbasaur, it's one of my most hated starters ever >.<
Old May 23rd, 2013, 04:12 PM
Sonkitts

My first game was Pokémon Yellow, so you can guess my choice there.

I then went on to get Blue a few months later and I'm sure I picked Squirtle. I always liked how bulky Squirtle was when fully evolved.

Bulbasaur was my next playthrough and probably one I least disliked. I just always seemed to struggle, even as a Venusaur. I'm putting that down to Psychic type's ridiculous ability.

Charmander is of course the patient route. It's good, but I just never got attached to Fire types that much. That and Charizard's Quad weakness to Rock (Yes I really was that competitive at that age) just annoyed me so much. Not even being able to learn Fly. Silly. Still good though.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 08:01 PM
Jak
i'll let you have it

I picked Charmander my first time, of course. I think all the original starters are grand, but something bothers me about Blastoise and Venusaur. They just...they're so big and bulky looking and it always made me uncomfortable, whereas Charizard was really sleek, fast, and smooth. So Charmander it always was! I have used the other two before, Venusaur in a solo run actually, and I enjoy them all. :)

also i'm an arsonist and i love fire clearly

Into the room, I know you want it
Bang bang, all over you, I'll let you have it
Wait a minute, let me take you there
Old May 24th, 2013, 08:45 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
I brought Pokemon blue a few years ago and I chose Squirtle as my starter.
Old May 28th, 2013, 05:36 PM
™87
Unhatched Egg

I picked Squirtle. Made it easy against Brock. Plus, blue is my favorite color, and as a kid, you don't get so technical with the games.
Old May 29th, 2013, 09:01 AM
Sabrewulf238

Nature: Jolly
Squirtle was my pick and it was my favourite of the three.

Charmander is my least favourite of those three, he's horrifyingly overrated.
Old May 29th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Castform
The Snow Land Pokémon

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Castform
My first pick was Squirtle because in my 7 year old mind I had to pick it because it was on the front of the box haha. It is still my favorite gen 1 starter to this day.

"Legends in snowy regions say that a woman who was lost on an icy mountain was reborn as Froslass."
Old May 29th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Nuke

Community Supporter

I used to pick Bulbasaur to make the first two gyms easier for me.

Now if I replay the games, I tend to pick Charmander and catch a Mankey & Pikachu.

Squirtle just doesn't even compare to either.

X + Y - 4914-3466-1264
Old May 29th, 2013, 03:19 PM
Obidy
Unhatched Egg

I am disappointed that only 4 of you chose squirtle =(
Old May 29th, 2013, 08:05 PM
PichuRules4ever
The TF2 Pyro

Nature: Jolly
I chose Charmander because I think it's the best of those three. I just think it's really cool.

Charmanders are the best! No doubt can't deny. Taste better than water but don't ask me why! (Sorry I was rapping, don't question it)
Old May 29th, 2013, 09:51 PM
Jetfire
Courage doesn't always roar.

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obidy View Post
I am disappointed that only 4 of you chose squirtle =(
Ah, wait. I chose squirtle too lol

Those cannons though.
Old May 29th, 2013, 10:01 PM
.:batto:.
Pokébreeder

Nature: Bold
i chose charmander. until i got to celadon and then i found out charizard couldn't use fly so i restarted and went with squirtle.

but if i was to pick out of the three kanto starters today it would be bulbasaur..
venusaur is a tough opponent with the right move set, for example.

Sunnyday, Sleep Powder, Giga drain & Solar beam.

how do you react when your pokemon is put to sleep, solar beamed to oblivion and then when things get too hard. venusaur just sucks up all your energy.

Sponsored Links

Advertise here