The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Reply
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old May 30th, 2013, 02:54 AM
Magic's Avatar
Magic
DLOA - Please contact Adventure
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Gender: Male

With the recent airing of "Mermaids: The new evidence," a sequel to a docufiction/mockumentary made last year, I've become hooked.


The idea is that actors portray fantasy or supernatural events as if they are real life (like a real documentary would) using long, scientific sounding words and odd turns of phrases to confuse the average audience.


So, did anyone watch the mermaids one? Or seen any other interesting docufictions?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2    
Old May 30th, 2013, 07:34 AM
gimmepie's Avatar
gimmepie
The Seeker of Pies
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Australia
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Mild
I have the DVD for one about dragons, not sure about the title I'll edit it into this later, but I thoroughly enjoy watching the explanations etc they came up with and I'd quite likely like more of the genre. What was the title of the first one, so I can watch both.
__________________
Roleplay Corner|Forum Games|Pairs|Sig|Arch Nemesis|Pie
"I don't need a quote, I need pie" - Gimmepie
Reply With Quote
  #3    
Old May 30th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Magic's Avatar
Magic
DLOA - Please contact Adventure
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmepie View Post
I have the DVD for one about dragons, not sure about the title I'll edit it into this later, but I thoroughly enjoy watching the explanations etc they came up with and I'd quite likely like more of the genre. What was the title of the first one, so I can watch both.
Mermaids: The Body Found is the first one It's available in full on youtube somewhere. I think I've seen part of the dragon one - something like "The last dragons"?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4    
Old May 30th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Antemortem's Avatar
Antemortem
stealing away sins
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Texas, United States
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Antemortem
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftSign View Post
Mermaids: The Body Found is the first one :) It's available in full on youtube somewhere. I think I've seen part of the dragon one - something like "The last dragons"?
I've seen this. I saw it on Youtube and I was sooo drawn into it (even believed it a little at first!) and couldn't stop watching it. I didn't know there was a sequel out - is it any good? Any better/just as good as the first one?
__________________
creativity tastes different on my tongue
oras ... cm
Reply With Quote
  #5    
Old June 23rd, 2013, 01:57 AM
Mr Cat Dog's Avatar
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: London, UK
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
People seem to reeeeeeeeeally like stuff like this. I read an article a while back (can't remember the link, unfortunately) that said that the Mermaid show described above was the highest-rated show on Animal Planet for the past 5 years despite, you know, not being about animals! :P
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6    
Old June 23rd, 2013, 02:56 AM
Magic's Avatar
Magic
DLOA - Please contact Adventure
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antemortem View Post
I've seen this. I saw it on Youtube and I was sooo drawn into it (even believed it a little at first!) and couldn't stop watching it. I didn't know there was a sequel out - is it any good? Any better/just as good as the first one?
It's quite good yes, it certainly builds on the first but it's a lot shorter and is mostly an interview rather than documentary.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cat Dog View Post
People seem to reeeeeeeeeally like stuff like this. I read an article a while back (can't remember the link, unfortunately) that said that the Mermaid show described above was the highest-rated show on Animal Planet for the past 5 years despite, you know, not being about animals!
Animal Planet have done a few over the years, I'm not sure if it was aired on the UK version of the channel or not (I don't have Sky) but the response it got in the US seems to be huge. The fact that organisations had to explicitly say that it was fiction and not fact is a sure sign of the people watching it - and even suggesting a worrying amount believed it.

Conspiracy!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7    
Old July 22nd, 2013, 11:21 AM
Esper's Avatar
Esper
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: California
I think I would enjoy this mermaid thing a lot. I remember watching C.S.A.: The Confederate States of America which is a mockumentary about how the South won the American Civil War and how everything changed after that. I can't exactly say I enjoyed watching it since it was pretty uncomfortable, but it was an interesting experience.
__________________

deviantart blog pair
Reply With Quote
Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 01:42 AM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.