The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates

Notices

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 22nd, 2013, 03:04 PM
AnonygooseD
Lametrainer

Nature: Jolly

Advertise here
There just HAS to be E.T.(s) in the universe, I mean look we have a sun, planets consisted of different materials, and nearly endless space, why not?
Also, maybe lifeforms from other planets existed but had to migrate to Earth as it was a better resort? Maybe some micro-organisms that we know are actually from space? But that's just my crazy opinion...

Last edited by AnonygooseD; April 22nd, 2013 at 03:23 PM.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 03:47 PM
Demon Days
Element of Magic

Nature: Quiet
There is probably some form of extraterrestrial life out there. Will we ever get to see it in our lifetime? Hah, no.

Old April 22nd, 2013, 03:59 PM
Shadowraze
Love and Peace

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Shadowraze
I do believe that we're not the only ones in the universe considering how vast the universe really is.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 04:26 PM
Aslan
the pretender

The universe seems endless but it does have an end. However think about it: there are millions of galaxies out there, billions of unknown planets. People have claimed to see signs of extraterrestial intelligences (i.e. UFOs) and to think that we are the only ones seems foolish. I am absolutely sure there is another planet out there with some form of life on there, I mean as stated before there are countless planets. Surely at least one of them has life. So yes I believe in extraterrestial intelligences for the reasons above.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 12:36 PM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
The universe is a vast space; I refuse to believe that earth is the only home to living things. There's so little that we actually know about our universe and what lies outside of our galaxy, that to completely deny the possibility of life outside Earth is foolish, as Narnia so politely stated above. Will we ever gain solid evidence of their existence? Probably not in this lifetime.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 01:25 PM
Melody
Singing Nature's Melody
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody
I firmly believe that we are not alone in the universe. However, we must accept that within our lifetimes we may not meet with friendly, sentient extraterrestrial lifeforms.

"It loves to bask in the sunlight. It uses the leaf on its head to seek out warm places."
Chikorita

Old May 2nd, 2013, 04:46 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachy View Post
I firmly believe that we are not alone in the universe. However, we must accept that within our lifetimes we may not meet with friendly, sentient extraterrestrial lifeforms.
If we ever do meet anything, I sure hope they're friendly XD
Old May 30th, 2013, 07:25 PM
Livewire
でんきタイプ

Send a message via Skype™ to Livewire
History tells us that when two civilizations collide, the less advanced one usually gets conquered/destroyed/enslaved, so we better hope that we find them before they find us, haha.
Old June 19th, 2013, 01:44 AM
DjentlemanJoe
A True Djentleman

I've been watching too much pseudoscience in the form of Ancient Aliens to make a well rounded comment as this time.

I'm convinced there's other life. They have been here before and they continue to observe. They might even actively be amongst us.

I'd type more, but I cut my thumb open the other day so its somewhat taxing to have typed what I have thus far, given I'm using a Blackberry.

Twitter: @LordJSullivan / @SUNManga
Ask for BBM / Channel pin if you have
Old June 19th, 2013, 02:02 AM
Kotowari
Will be back eventually
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Calm
I'm convinced that there's life elsewhere in the universe. That thing is just too vast for earth being the only inhabited planet.

I am, however, not convinced that it's life as we know and defined it on earth. Most of the creatures that inhabit this planet, including mankind, mainly survive on O2 and H2O, but there have been bacteria found who thrive just as nicely on CH4 or other chemical compositions. I wouldn't be surprised if life existed on planets that don't have earthern (surface) conditions (like the composition of the atmosphere).

I can't say anything about their supposed intelligence, though. Intelligence is relative to begin with... What might be important in our society, might be redundant in theirs.

"We shall build a peaceful world... Just you and me..."
Old June 19th, 2013, 03:46 AM
DjentlemanJoe
A True Djentleman

How often I tell people intelligence is relative I can't emphasise enough.

There IS alien life, because we know that Bacteria has/does exist on other planets. In terms of 'intelligent', they might consider us advanced. We may never know.

How often I tell people intelligence is relative I can't emphasise enough.

There IS alien life, because we know that Bacteria has/does exist on other planets. In terms of 'intelligent', they might consider us advanced. We may never know.

Last edited by DjentlemanJoe; June 19th, 2013 at 03:47 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old June 19th, 2013, 06:36 PM
CarcharOdin
Master of The Universe
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
For all we know, the reason alien life hasn't visited us yet is because they've been monitoring our progress as a species and weren't impressed enough to visit.
Old June 19th, 2013, 06:47 PM
Livewire
でんきタイプ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotowari View Post
I'm convinced that there's life elsewhere in the universe. That thing is just too vast for earth being the only inhabited planet.

I am, however, not convinced that it's life as we know and defined it on earth. Most of the creatures that inhabit this planet, including mankind, mainly survive on O2 and H2O, but there have been bacteria found who thrive just as nicely on CH4 or other chemical compositions. I wouldn't be surprised if life existed on planets that don't have earthern (surface) conditions (like the composition of the atmosphere).

I can't say anything about their supposed intelligence, though. Intelligence is relative to begin with... What might be important in our society, might be redundant in theirs.
Maybe we're looking in the wrong places. Many times SETI looks for other planets in the proverbial "Goldilocks Zone" and for planets with earth-like atmospheric compositions. Maybe we should be widening our gaze. Like how Saturn's moon Titan has oodles of the organics necessary for life.
Old June 19th, 2013, 07:43 PM
BraveNewWorld
The Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
Maybe we're looking in the wrong places. Many times SETI looks for other planets in the proverbial "Goldilocks Zone" and for planets with earth-like atmospheric compositions. Maybe we should be widening our gaze. Like how Saturn's moon Titan has oodles of the organics necessary for life.
The ESA sent a probe to Titan in 1997, it landed in 2005. It ceased functioning 90mins after touchdown. Here's the only image it captured on the surface of Titan.

Spoiler:

Joint ESA and NASA plans to go back have fallen through. Originally it was only put on the back burner to give priority to another joint mission aiming to explore Jupiter and its moon Europa. Both the plans appear to be up in the air, though. As NASA's budget is too low. The ESA is investigating taking the lead because of NASA's budget woes.
Old June 19th, 2013, 11:00 PM
diab_low
#SmashingTheMaroons

Nature: Gentle
I find it very hard to believe that UFO'S and aliens are real. I have not been convinced that they do exist, its just the current evidences don't seem to be efficient enough.
Old June 20th, 2013, 07:52 AM
DjentlemanJoe
A True Djentleman

I found this and found some of it interesting. I was googling 'aliens' and checked out a link about Jaden Smith speaking to Obama about ET's.

Here is the quote I refer to (can be seen in comments @ http://www.openminds.tv/jaden-smith-...-are-real-982/).

Quote:
Of course aliens do exist, and they do come to earth, and you can of course see for yourself. Check out Sirius Disclosure, they do CE-5 training, which means human initiated contact. The thing is though that the military loves spending tons of money on wars, and pretend that aliens can be a threat, when in fact, just to reach the level 1 civilization we need world peace, you cannot have war, and grow as a society. Any alien civilization, that has the capability to come to Earth, must have achieved peace already. Look at Erwin Schrodinger who mathematically proved that there is no separation, and everything is in the same space and time, it just appears far away. This is true, and there is only one mind in the entire universe, and therefore aliens attacking us, is as silly as attacking themselves. Earth has not achieved this understanding yet, we still harm ourselves and others, although some have learned the way of peace. Listen to others, be curious of everybody, and that is key to success! You can have anything you want in life, if you help enough other people get what they want!
Thoughts on this?

Old June 21st, 2013, 05:29 AM
abnegation
proudly paired with adventure
Community Supporter

I think it's ignorant to believe that we're the only living entity within the universe. There's a high chance that we could be the most evident and only notable race within our solar system, but there's no evidence to suggest this is true. There's an infinite amount of space within this universe, there's also a lot more than just our solar system. From our planet alone, there's estimations of thousands of other solar systems within view, just like ours.

The existence of extremophiles (or organisms that can survive in extremes of heat, cold, poisonous (to us) chemicals) on Earth, suggests that the climate may not matter. There are creatures on this planet who live without oxygen around the edges of super-heated volcanic vents at the bottom of the ocean, and we've found life in the brackish pools of the high Andes, as well as the ice-covered lakes of the arctic. Also to mention, that the existence of life within space has been somewhat proven. There are tiny creatures called tardigrades that can survive in the vacuum of space. To put that in other words, we know that life can exist on other planets, given that we have creatures of our own that could survive on them, we just haven't found it yet. The ratio to the amount of the universe that humans have discovered or searched, to what's left to discover is 1/∞. Those odds are somewhat against us finding any significant lifeforms for a long, long time, as anything near us with any sort of intelligence and civilisation would have been made evident by now.

It is assumed that most of the life on Earth evolved from chemical reactions that eventually formed cellular membranes and proto-DNA. These original chemical reactions could have started with complex organic compounds (such as nucleic acids, proteins, carbohydrates, and lipids) in the atmosphere and ocean. There is evidence that these "precursors to life" exist on other worlds already. Astronomers have spotted them in the rich environment of the Orion Nebula, Titan has some in its atmosphere too. Again, we haven't actually found life, but we've found the ingredients that many scientists believe contributed to the development of life on Earth. If these ingredients have been found elsewhere in our universe, it suggests that life may have also sprouted the same way as it did here, elsewhere.

There is also a rapidly increasing number of newly discovered planets in which are a lot like Earth. For example, there is a planet named HD 85512 b, it is about 3.6 times the size of Earth, and is at the edge of the star's habitable zone, which means it's capable of supporting life. Early results have suggested that this is a very real possibility. It is just one of 50 planets discovered by HARPS, so there's quite a lot of evidence that we're not the only "Earthlike" planet within the universe.

The evolutionary suggests that life adapts to it's surroundings to be created or exist, or begin. Though Darwin and his contemporaries were hardly thinking of life on exoplanets when they came up with evolutionary theory, it does suggest that where life can take hold, it will. It is much like our own Earth, the way plants will grow in almost any conditions, how bacteria can exist in the most extreme conditions and so forth. Humanity may meet creatures we never even dreamed to be possible, unimaginable, or we may in fact evolve into them ourselves. If our race thrives, and planet Earth remains (or any other planet we inhabit in the future), "humanity" is not our final stage.

the internet is full of people who refuse to be nice to others
because they feel that this makes them superior
that's lame
Old June 22nd, 2013, 08:01 AM
Plumpyfoof

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Plumpyfoof
Let's consider for a second that our civilisation, that is homo sapien or human beings, is an intelligent species.
Okay so we're looking for other creatures with intelligence far beyond our own or for possible signs of uncivilised extremophiles in distant areas.

We should consider that if there are other civilisations being built in the galaxy that they could be taking longer to progress than we have, or that they started building their technology after we did.
Consider we are the most intelligent form of life in our galaxy and other races are struggling to keep up. Just as in the Star Wars Universe humans were among the first to be properly civilised and are now considered the leaders in technological success for all other aspiring species to develop towards.

Maybe science fiction has it right (again) and our explosive technological advances are putting us ever further ahead of our competition. We could be the very thing we have been fearing in sci-fi cinema.
Old June 23rd, 2013, 06:04 AM
DjentlemanJoe
A True Djentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumpyfoof View Post
Let's consider for a second that our civilisation, that is homo sapien or human beings, is an intelligent species.
Okay so we're looking for other creatures with intelligence far beyond our own or for possible signs of uncivilised extremophiles in distant areas.

We should consider that if there are other civilisations being built in the galaxy that they could be taking longer to progress than we have, or that they started building their technology after we did.
Consider we are the most intelligent form of life in our galaxy and other races are struggling to keep up. Just as in the Star Wars Universe humans were among the first to be properly civilised and are now considered the leaders in technological success for all other aspiring species to develop towards.

Maybe science fiction has it right (again) and our explosive technological advances are putting us ever further ahead of our competition. We could be the very thing we have been fearing in sci-fi cinema.
150,000,000% this.

We always assume that we will be contacted by advanced races. We COULD very well be the advanced race when first contact is made (if ever/if we haven't already).

Also, to assume that any race would be more advanced based on space travel is flawed - If one country only has boats, and another ONLY has cars, one can travel on land and one on water. Other races may lack in areas or the resources necessary to do things that we consider very basic. They may have electronics in a similar manner, but no wood. That's why countries exchanged knowledge, and it also suggests that races we ever come into contact with might have that idea in mind.

Old July 5th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Livewire
でんきタイプ

If anything we could see a scenario like in Man Of Steel - our deep space travels just happen to take us to planets close enough to our own, ones we could terraform a bit to live on, encountering a primitive species along the way.
Old July 12th, 2013, 04:57 PM
BraveNewWorld
The Breaker

Here's a cool video from Vsauce.

Are We Ready For Aliens?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCBlAAtJA54
Old August 7th, 2013, 10:02 PM
Livewire
でんきタイプ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveNewWorld View Post
The ESA sent a probe to Titan in 1997, it landed in 2005. It ceased functioning 90mins after touchdown. Here's the only image it captured on the surface of Titan.

Spoiler:

Joint ESA and NASA plans to go back have fallen through. Originally it was only put on the back burner to give priority to another joint mission aiming to explore Jupiter and its moon Europa. Both the plans appear to be up in the air, though. As NASA's budget is too low. The ESA is investigating taking the lead because of NASA's budget woes.
It's kind of hard to find things out there if we can't get funding for NASA. Which is a real shame, in my opinion. And we'd need a new, modernized shuttle too, which reaaaaaaaally isn't cheap. But Titan I think would be a good place to start, if we could.
Old August 8th, 2013, 07:35 AM
Aeroblast
Cutting inside like a boss
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
Well, considering that the observable universe is billions of light-years in diameter, it'd be silly to consider that we're the only form of life in the whole universe. Add the possibility that there may be multiple universes, and there's even less chance from what's already a microscopic chance that we're the only life out there.
Old August 8th, 2013, 08:01 AM
Kyrul
Long Live The Note
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
It is highly possible. Life happened here, right? So what makes us believe that it can't happen anywhere else? I believe people who aren't open to the idea of aliens are like those people who where all like "LOL the Earth doesn't revolve around the sun, the sun revolves around the Earth! Now execute him!" from back in the day of swords and shields. If that alien life is intelligent, I don't have any ****ing idea, but I'm 100% sure that it's out there.
Old August 9th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Magic

The most likely truth is that there is life out there - in the form of micro organisms, either similar to ours or vastly different - but all the same micro.

The public just wouldn't care, and would call any findings a waste of time. People would generally be disappointed unless we discovered some cute little fluffy animal or intelligent life.

Sponsored Links

Advertise here